Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
Bloomsie
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Bloomsie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:49 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:I can't believe you have to do multiple trucks, that is the worst. I'm moving around July 15, and I think we're going to be able to do a medium-sized truck, still trying to get a quote so we can decide whether we're getting pros or doing a u-haul.


its sort of a pain, but the intown move + a month of a storage unit will only come out to 100 bucks, which isn't so bad. Especially since my buddy's aunt came through and is putting me up rent free for July. So it's actually a huge amount of savings. Plus i'm the sort to get anxious to get a move over with so having all my shit packed and ready to go in a storage unit will almost be a relief of sorts.


So just to clarify, its multiple trucks because its multiple instances of moving, rather than because you have too much stuff for one truck?


lol yep. My lease is up at the end of this month, they won't let me extend it for one extra month and i need four weeks to wrap up my job. Plus i want the money. So I'm couchsurfing for the month of July.


That is so close to being exactly my plan. We're looking for a permanent place in Chicago starting July 1, moving all our stuff, and I'm working another two weeks and couch-surfing in July.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Cobretti wrote:So did anyone hear back about the law preview scholly? Thought we were supposed to hear back by yesterday one way or the other but I didn't get an email.


Update: got an e-mail today saying they're going to push the timeline back to 6/15.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:23 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Cobretti wrote:So did anyone hear back about the law preview scholly? Thought we were supposed to hear back by yesterday one way or the other but I didn't get an email.


Update: got an e-mail today saying they're going to push the timeline back to 6/15.

Ya same here. I wonder if the smaller class size made them extend it to get more people. Would be nice if shrinking class size really is going to drive up demand for us

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby feralinfant » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Just got phone call saying i am officially approved for my Chicago apartment. 8) Not having to deal with being homeless while trying to get the hang of this school thing again was definitely high on my to-do list. Not bad for a Tuesday.

MAHamlin
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Well guys, this is where I get off. I love Northwestern and had a great time at ASW, but HLS offered a financial aid package I can't refuse.

Best wishes to you all! You're an awesome bunch!

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm

MAHamlin wrote:Well guys, this is where I get off. I love Northwestern and had a great time at ASW, but HLS offered a financial aid package I can't refuse.

Best wishes to you all! You're an awesome bunch!

sorry to hear you won't be joining us but grats on HLS, GL

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm

MAHamlin wrote:Well guys, this is where I get off. I love Northwestern and had a great time at ASW, but HLS offered a financial aid package I can't refuse.

Best wishes to you all! You're an awesome bunch!


Fantastic news. Get outta here, you would have screwed the curve for the rest of us anyway 8)

User avatar
Bloomsie
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Bloomsie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:51 pm

feralinfant wrote:Just got phone call saying i am officially approved for my Chicago apartment. 8) Not having to deal with being homeless while trying to get the hang of this school thing again was definitely high on my to-do list. Not bad for a Tuesday.


Where are you going to be? I just signed my lease on a place in Ukrainian Village. Gonna be riding that 66 bus a lot.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Bloomsie wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Just got phone call saying i am officially approved for my Chicago apartment. 8) Not having to deal with being homeless while trying to get the hang of this school thing again was definitely high on my to-do list. Not bad for a Tuesday.


Where are you going to be? I just signed my lease on a place in Ukrainian Village. Gonna be riding that 66 bus a lot.


Nice. I tried looking around there but i just couldn't find a lot of studio/1BR situations online. Maybe I just did a poor job searching. I'm in N. Lakeview/Boystown. I'm hoping that once I'm in Chicago I'll be able to locate a place more in the Uke. Village area for 2L that's a good fit.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 am

Do we get emails with "official" loan offers and all that sent to our nu email? Because I want to take that to a bank and say "please give me money, you know Uncle Sam's good for it."

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Kikero » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:24 am

Micdiddy wrote:Do we get emails with "official" loan offers and all that sent to our nu email? Because I want to take that to a bank and say "please give me money, you know Uncle Sam's good for it."


They put up the official Award Notice on CAESAR, but they send you an email to your NU address to let you know it's up. They actually came out today (June 7) last year, so you should be hearing something soon.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:30 am

Kikero wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Do we get emails with "official" loan offers and all that sent to our nu email? Because I want to take that to a bank and say "please give me money, you know Uncle Sam's good for it."


They put up the official Award Notice on CAESAR, but they send you an email to your NU address to let you know it's up. They actually came out today (June 7) last year, so you should be hearing something soon.

It also sounds like you might be misunderstanding the thing, McD. It's not really an offer. It's $X in Stafford loans and $Y in grad plus and you decide how much of that you want, and accept them. Guaranteed the banks know the terms of the loans, since they're the same for everyone. The only thing that varies is the amount.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kikero wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Do we get emails with "official" loan offers and all that sent to our nu email? Because I want to take that to a bank and say "please give me money, you know Uncle Sam's good for it."


They put up the official Award Notice on CAESAR, but they send you an email to your NU address to let you know it's up. They actually came out today (June 7) last year, so you should be hearing something soon.

It also sounds like you might be misunderstanding the thing, McD. It's not really an offer. It's $X in Stafford loans and $Y in grad plus and you decide how much of that you want, and accept them. Guaranteed the banks know the terms of the loans, since they're the same for everyone. The only thing that varies is the amount.


Oh, hmm, I was misunderstanding it. So if I go to Chase and say "I need money to move all my stuff to Chi, I will soon be on Stafford/grad plus loans," they'll (hopefully) be like "Ok, here ya go!"
Also, if I accept the full offer does that automatically mean I was loaned that amount and will start accruing interest on it, or is it more a statement of "this is what I think I will use...but we'll see..."

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:59 am

Micdiddy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Kikero wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Do we get emails with "official" loan offers and all that sent to our nu email? Because I want to take that to a bank and say "please give me money, you know Uncle Sam's good for it."


They put up the official Award Notice on CAESAR, but they send you an email to your NU address to let you know it's up. They actually came out today (June 7) last year, so you should be hearing something soon.

It also sounds like you might be misunderstanding the thing, McD. It's not really an offer. It's $X in Stafford loans and $Y in grad plus and you decide how much of that you want, and accept them. Guaranteed the banks know the terms of the loans, since they're the same for everyone. The only thing that varies is the amount.


Oh, hmm, I was misunderstanding it. So if I go to Chase and say "I need money to move all my stuff to Chi, I will soon be on Stafford/grad plus loans," they'll (hopefully) be like "Ok, here ya go!"
Also, if I accept the full offer does that automatically mean I was loaned that amount and will start accruing interest on it, or is it more a statement of "this is what I think I will use...but we'll see..."
Chase will obviously make you apply for their loans. I haven't heard of anyone taking out pre-law-school private loans in addition to stafford/grad plus, so I have no idea if that's enough to qualify for a loan, or if they'd consider that MORE debt to make you a less qualified borrower. Most people use a parental loan or a credit card to move, I think.

Fed loans are divided in half for the semesters, so half doesn't start accruing anything until January when it's disbursed. I think you also have like 30? 60? days after disbursal to pay back whatever and avoid interest.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:46 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Kikero wrote:
They put up the official Award Notice on CAESAR, but they send you an email to your NU address to let you know it's up. They actually came out today (June 7) last year, so you should be hearing something soon.

It also sounds like you might be misunderstanding the thing, McD. It's not really an offer. It's $X in Stafford loans and $Y in grad plus and you decide how much of that you want, and accept them. Guaranteed the banks know the terms of the loans, since they're the same for everyone. The only thing that varies is the amount.


Oh, hmm, I was misunderstanding it. So if I go to Chase and say "I need money to move all my stuff to Chi, I will soon be on Stafford/grad plus loans," they'll (hopefully) be like "Ok, here ya go!"
Also, if I accept the full offer does that automatically mean I was loaned that amount and will start accruing interest on it, or is it more a statement of "this is what I think I will use...but we'll see..."
Chase will obviously make you apply for their loans. I haven't heard of anyone taking out pre-law-school private loans in addition to stafford/grad plus, so I have no idea if that's enough to qualify for a loan, or if they'd consider that MORE debt to make you a less qualified borrower. Most people use a parental loan or a credit card to move, I think.

Fed loans are divided in half for the semesters, so half doesn't start accruing anything until January when it's disbursed. I think you also have like 30? 60? days after disbursal to pay back whatever and avoid interest.


Ok good to know. In the fin aid thread someone said they got a personal loan by showing the bank they have stafford/grad plus coming in. I think the assumption is we will use Uncle Sam's money to make regular payments on the bank loan (which is relatively small), so they basically don't have to worry that we'll not have money for payments.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Ok good to know. In the fin aid thread someone said they got a personal loan by showing the bank they have stafford/grad plus coming in. I think the assumption is we will use Uncle Sam's money to make regular payments on the bank loan (which is relatively small), so they basically don't have to worry that we'll not have money for payments.

While I acknowledge paying off debt with more debt is the Murrican WayTM, I don't really like this plan.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Ok good to know. In the fin aid thread someone said they got a personal loan by showing the bank they have stafford/grad plus coming in. I think the assumption is we will use Uncle Sam's money to make regular payments on the bank loan (which is relatively small), so they basically don't have to worry that we'll not have money for payments.

While I acknowledge paying off debt with more debt is the Murrican WayTM, I don't really like this plan.


I don't either. One of the reasons I put of law school so much was because the idea of any loan freaked me out. But do you have a better plan?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Ok good to know. In the fin aid thread someone said they got a personal loan by showing the bank they have stafford/grad plus coming in. I think the assumption is we will use Uncle Sam's money to make regular payments on the bank loan (which is relatively small), so they basically don't have to worry that we'll not have money for payments.

While I acknowledge paying off debt with more debt is the Murrican WayTM, I don't really like this plan.


I don't either. One of the reasons I put of law school so much was because the idea of any loan freaked me out. But do you have a better plan?

you still have 2 months left right? can you go back to lsat prepping short term? otherwise i'd probably just try to get a job as a waiter somewhere and just lie about leaving in 2 months. I'm not sure what your finances are gonna be like once you're here, if your wife is working etc, but if you're this tight now and are using your loans to pay off other loans you could have a rough time making it through the first semester. I guess if your wife is going to work and help cover COL then its not as bad as it otherwise would be.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Both of us are working now and I am looking for a 2nd job, but right now we probably will just make enough to cover current rent and bills with some, but not much leftover. I anticipate the move to Chi to be $2,500-$3,000 and any deposit I need to pay on an apt, not to mention first months rent, will need to be made before loans begin as well (and before I get my current deposit back). Once we get there my wife plans on working, which will ease our burden somewhat.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Both of us are working now and I am looking for a 2nd job, but right now we probably will just make enough to cover current rent and bills with some, but not much leftover. I anticipate the move to Chi to be $2,500-$3,000 and any deposit I need to pay on an apt, not to mention first months rent, will need to be made before loans begin as well (and before I get my current deposit back). Once we get there my wife plans on working, which will ease our burden somewhat.

If she's working in chicago I'd try to calculate how much she'll be able to contribute to your COL over the first semester, and if that's more than would be required to pay off these short term loans, its doable.

at the end of the day you're graduating with way less debt than most of us though, so i'm sure you'll be fine if you can't avoid the loans

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Both of us are working now and I am looking for a 2nd job, but right now we probably will just make enough to cover current rent and bills with some, but not much leftover. I anticipate the move to Chi to be $2,500-$3,000 and any deposit I need to pay on an apt, not to mention first months rent, will need to be made before loans begin as well (and before I get my current deposit back). Once we get there my wife plans on working, which will ease our burden somewhat.

If she's working in chicago I'd try to calculate how much she'll be able to contribute to your COL over the first semester, and if that's more than would be required to pay off these short term loans, its doable.

at the end of the day you're graduating with way less debt than most of us though, so i'm sure you'll be fine if you can't avoid the loans


If I can even get them to begin with. I'm only talking about like 4-6k private so any job she gets should be able to pay that back relatively painlessly. We'll see what happens.

Fabulist
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Fabulist » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd talk to the nu financial aid office. If it's a legit school related expense, they should be able to write you loan for it.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Fabulist wrote:I'd talk to the nu financial aid office. If it's a legit school related expense, they should be able to write you loan for it.


I asked them initially if I could get loans early for moving and they said no, loans begin first day of classes or June 1st or something. I didn't press the issue, but I suppose I could try...

User avatar
CalAlumni
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby CalAlumni » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 am

Hey guys...anyone know when we''ll start signing loans, etc.?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:58 pm

CalAlumni wrote:Hey guys...anyone know when we''ll start signing loans, etc.?

Based on what kikero posted, sounds like this week probably




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests