Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Bloomsie

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Bloomsie » Tue May 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:Just turned in my 6-week notice. Moving to Chicago mid-July.

Nice! I don't know how I can stay productive at work for much longer. I told them I was leaving the last week of July but I'm already working on fumes over here. I just hope I don't become so unproductive that I get fired a week before I leave :?

Unless that means you get two extra weeks of pay for severance, which might be totally worth it.

you're a genius. on to plan B

I proclaim this the summer of Cobretti!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPS3qLtaFtw

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Bloomsie wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Unless that means you get two extra weeks of pay for severance, which might be totally worth it.

you're a genius. on to plan B

I proclaim this the summer of Cobretti!

would be lying if i said this sort of strategy hadn't crossed my mind.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 28, 2013 12:39 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:I proclaim this the summer of Cobretti!

Let's get a pot going, then we all get fired and whoever has the craziest story wins

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue May 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Cobretti wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:I proclaim this the summer of Cobretti!

Let's get a pot going, then we all get fired and whoever has the craziest story wins

I'm down.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I got my Yellow Ribbon eligibility verified today. I was disappointed to learn that they replaced my scholly with the Yellow Ribbon match, rather than stacking them. But oh well, can't complain too much about going to school for free.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 28, 2013 1:32 pm

PBateman1 wrote:I got my Yellow Ribbon eligibility verified today. I was disappointed to learn that they replaced my scholly with the Yellow Ribbon match, rather than stacking them. But oh well, can't complain too much about going to school for free.

I was not pleased at that either... Mine is running out during the first year so I complained a lot :|

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Cobretti wrote:
PBateman1 wrote:I got my Yellow Ribbon eligibility verified today. I was disappointed to learn that they replaced my scholly with the Yellow Ribbon match, rather than stacking them. But oh well, can't complain too much about going to school for free.

I was not pleased at that either... Mine is running out during the first year so I complained a lot :|

Do you get the scholly back for the other 2 years?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 28, 2013 4:45 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Do you get the scholly back for the other 2 years?

ya, if that was the case i might have /ragequit

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:16 pm

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/72592 ... i=65588891

Hey kids, if you were thinking about getting a zipcar membership for any reason (like trips to Costco or Ikea), livingsocial has a good deal today: 1 year membership + $30 of driving credit for $29. (So basically getting the membership free.) And if enough people sign up with that link, I get a deal on mine. ;-)

kwroche

Postby kwroche » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 pm

For all those who are interested and live in Chicago, we are having a happy hour at Cantina Laredo at 530. Reservation is under Northwestern Law Class 2016.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm

So did anyone hear back about the law preview scholly? Thought we were supposed to hear back by yesterday one way or the other but I didn't get an email.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Cobretti wrote:So did anyone hear back about the law preview scholly? Thought we were supposed to hear back by yesterday one way or the other but I didn't get an email.

I also thought this but also have not heard back. Maybe tomorrow since 6/1 was the weekend?

On another note, shit is getting real people. Barring any unforeseen issues with my application I think i've locked down my housing in Chicago.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:14 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Cobretti wrote:So did anyone hear back about the law preview scholly? Thought we were supposed to hear back by yesterday one way or the other but I didn't get an email.

I also thought this but also have not heard back. Maybe tomorrow since 6/1 was the weekend?

On another note, shit is getting real people. Barring any unforeseen issues with my application I think i've locked down my housing in Chicago.

Nice, I started scheduling viewings this week. Flying out at the end of this month and will hopefully sign something then.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Anyone else trying to look outside the immediate Streeterville/Goldcoast/Loop area for housing?

I've been looking out further (Jefferson Park/Portage Park/Mayfair/Dunning, Edgewater/Rogers Park)...more SFH type stuff...I need a yard.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:20 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Anyone else trying to look outside the immediate Streeterville/Goldcoast/Loop area for housing?

I've been looking out further (Jefferson Park/Portage Park/Mayfair/Dunning, Edgewater/Rogers Park)...more SFH type stuff...I need a yard.

I'm starting to look at RoPo a lot. Finding a place that will take my dog for under 1200 anywhere else is seemingly impossible

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:24 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Anyone else trying to look outside the immediate Streeterville/Goldcoast/Loop area for housing?

Uhhhh...are you planning on driving or taking transit in from there? Because that is one long fucking commute. Looks like probably 2 buses + a train, for an hour and a half total from Dunning. Do you really need a yard so much that it's worth three hours commuting every day?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Try roscoe village. Long-ish commute, but not terrible, and a nice little neighborhood with duplexes/small houses.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Uhhhh...are you planning on driving or taking transit in from there? Because that is one long fucking commute. Looks like probably 2 buses + a train, for an hour and a half total from Dunning. Do you really need a yard so much that it's worth three hours commuting every day?

Yeah...the JP/PP/etc area would require driving. Certain areas of Edgewater/Rogers Park seem doable (30-45min) commute.
And yeah...the dogs are a major factor here...

Bloomsie

Postby Bloomsie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Girlfriend gets job starting June 3rd in Chicago - best news ever. Two days ago we drive 11 hours from DC to Chicago. Yesterday we move her stuff into her sublet, rent a u-haul, pick up a mattress, and I fly back to DC so I can be at work today. She shows up for work this morning and somebody fucked up the paperwork. She can't start for two weeks while they get the results from the drug test. No one ever told her they'd moved her start date.

So that's my Monday. Complaining to y'all seems like more fun than time-entry.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Bloomsie wrote:Girlfriend gets job starting June 3rd in Chicago - best news ever. Two days ago we drive 11 hours from DC to Chicago. Yesterday we move her stuff into her sublet, rent a u-haul, pick up a mattress, and I fly back to DC so I can be at work today. She shows up for work this morning and somebody fucked up the paperwork. She can't start for two weeks while they get the results from the drug test. No one ever told her they'd moved her start date.

So tat's my Monday. Complaining to y'all seems like more fun than time-entry.

Sue the bastards for lost wages

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:21 pm

alright. just reserved my moving trucks(s). Yes trucks. My current lease expires at the end of june, but i can' relocate to chicago til august. So I have to move all my stuff into storage for four weeks and then load it all up again. So excited to be done with my job and in Chi I don't even care. (well i don't care now that i found a short term housing arrangement and won't be homeless).

Bloomsie wrote:Girlfriend gets job starting June 3rd in Chicago - best news ever. Two days ago we drive 11 hours from DC to Chicago. Yesterday we move her stuff into her sublet, rent a u-haul, pick up a mattress, and I fly back to DC so I can be at work today. She shows up for work this morning and somebody fucked up the paperwork. She can't start for two weeks while they get the results from the drug test. No one ever told her they'd moved her start date.

this sucks. It seems dumb they wouldn't at least let her start provisionally or something, contingent upon the results. I means, she's freaking there and ready to work.

Bloomsie

Postby Bloomsie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 pm

feralinfant wrote:alright. just reserved my moving trucks(s). Yes trucks. My current lease expires at the end of june, but i can' relocate to chicago til august. So I have to move all my stuff into storage for four weeks and then load it all up again. So excited to be done with my job and in Chi I don't even care. (well i don't care now that i found a short term housing arrangement and won't be homeless).

this sucks. It seems dumb they wouldn't at least let her start provisionally or something, contingent upon the results. I means, she's freaking there and ready to work.

Right? You'd think so, but its the Cook County government, so the bureaucracy is pretty rigid. They said they'd try to find a way to compensate her, if not through wages than through extra vacation time. It mostly just sucks that we're paying rent for a sublet that she's only going to spend two weeks in.

I can't believe you have to do multiple trucks, that is the worst. I'm moving around July 15, and I think we're going to be able to do a medium-sized truck, still trying to get a quote so we can decide whether we're getting pros or doing a u-haul.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Bloomsie wrote:I can't believe you have to do multiple trucks, that is the worst. I'm moving around July 15, and I think we're going to be able to do a medium-sized truck, still trying to get a quote so we can decide whether we're getting pros or doing a u-haul.

its sort of a pain, but the intown move + a month of a storage unit will only come out to 100 bucks, which isn't so bad. Especially since my buddy's aunt came through and is putting me up rent free for July. So it's actually a huge amount of savings. Plus i'm the sort to get anxious to get a move over with so having all my shit packed and ready to go in a storage unit will almost be a relief of sorts.

Bloomsie

Postby Bloomsie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:43 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:I can't believe you have to do multiple trucks, that is the worst. I'm moving around July 15, and I think we're going to be able to do a medium-sized truck, still trying to get a quote so we can decide whether we're getting pros or doing a u-haul.

its sort of a pain, but the intown move + a month of a storage unit will only come out to 100 bucks, which isn't so bad. Especially since my buddy's aunt came through and is putting me up rent free for July. So it's actually a huge amount of savings. Plus i'm the sort to get anxious to get a move over with so having all my shit packed and ready to go in a storage unit will almost be a relief of sorts.

So just to clarify, its multiple trucks because its multiple instances of moving, rather than because you have too much stuff for one truck?

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Bloomsie wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

So just to clarify, its multiple trucks because its multiple instances of moving, rather than because you have too much stuff for one truck?

lol yep. My lease is up at the end of this month, they won't let me extend it for one extra month and i need four weeks to wrap up my job. Plus i want the money. So I'm couchsurfing for the month of July.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”