Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:All is not lost, we'll have plenty of socal summer meetups to lessen the agony (diddy you gotta come down btw)

i won't be in socal. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

since i now can't break my lease/can't afford the almost 3k, i can't go from where i am now to socal to chicago. just straight from where i am to chicago. no summer, no fun, all work but still poor as fuck.

That's much shittier than I assumed... ouch

cookiejar1 wrote:Yeah, I appreciate the invite too COBRETTI.

Obviously you are in the socal crew, diddy is up in norcal so i had to extend him a specific invite. And +9000 to the day drinking outside loophole, I feel like that isn't exploited as much as it should be

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Hey guys -

I'm moving to Chicago next weekend because I'll be in the AJD program. I don't know anyone there. If someone is coming in to look at apartments & wants a free couch to crash on, let me know. I'll be in the Lakeview area. Also, looking for apartments from out of state was a pain in the ass. If it's not too far away and you want someone to go look at a place and send you additional pics / make sure it's not a total hell hole, we can probably work something out.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Cobretti,

Keep me informed via Facebook. I generally have Fri-Sun off and would be more than willing to spend two of those days driving as long as the one in between is full of shenanigan goodness.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Hey guys -

I'm moving to Chicago next weekend because I'll be in the AJD program. I don't know anyone there. If someone is coming in to look at apartments & wants a free couch to crash on, let me know. I'll be in the Lakeview area. Also, looking for apartments from out of state was a pain in the ass. If it's not too far away and you want someone to go look at a place and send you additional pics / make sure it's not a total hell hole, we can probably work something out.

You're a good person.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 pm

why is this thread so dead? the 2015 thread is too many pages. but this one is not enough.

where is everyone? someone talk about apartments.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Cobretti,

Keep me informed via Facebook. I generally have Fri-Sun off and would be more than willing to spend two of those days driving as long as the one in between is full of shenanigan goodness.

Will do. Cookie you're co-chair for whatever we plan
twinkletoes16 wrote:why is this thread so dead? the 2015 thread is too many pages. but this one is not enough.

where is everyone? someone talk about apartments.

+1
I'm hoping this thread and/or facebook starts heating up after the 31Apr deadline

ETA: But about apartments: if you meet anyone from a padmapper listing (this one was from rent.com) named John Depiesse, he's a scam artist

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:59 pm

I also think some solidarity in this thread may help our cause

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Hey guys -

Hey! If you want to hang out with some soon-to-be 2Ls (we will be doing OCI together, after all!) shoot me a PM and we should hang out...after the 16th, that is. Until the 16th, finals and write-on own my soul. :lol:

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Streeterville-wise, what else is there besides McClurg and Onterie? I was really put off by all the smoke smell in McClurg.

I was all set to live in LP/Lakeview but the commute... :shock: as someone who has never been in weather below 30ish I'm not sure I could handle the commute every day in the winter. Might pay for the convenience factor.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm

People in Chicago now.....let's hang out.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm just using studentspace. Some guy is finding me dozens of apartments a week for free. It's awesome.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I'm just using studentspace. Some guy is finding me dozens of apartments a week for free. It's awesome.

You might be a little surprised when you meet him.
Personally I'm not really using studentspace anymore. I found the listings weren't able to filter by weight limits for dogs, and nearly every single one they gave me had like 35 lb limits. So I was spending a ton of time manually clicking through each one just to find out it was off limits.

Aggregation with Padmapper seems to be the way to go so far (other than that minor inconvenience of dealing with people trying to scam you over the internet).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I'm just using studentspace. Some guy is finding me dozens of apartments a week for free. It's awesome.

Personally I'm not really using studentspace anymore. I found the listings weren't able to filter by weight limits for dogs, and nearly every single one they gave me had like 35 lb limits. So I was spending a ton of time manually clicking through each one just to find out it was off limits.

Aggregation with Padmapper seems to be the way to go so far (other than that minor inconvenience of dealing with people trying to scam you over the internet).

Hmm. I was under the impression most places he showed me aren't really available, but represent places that will open up in due time. But yes, I should probably do more independent searching to be safe.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Streeterville-wise, what else is there besides McClurg and Onterie? I was really put off by all the smoke smell in McClurg.

I was all set to live in LP/Lakeview but the commute... :shock: as someone who has never been in weather below 30ish I'm not sure I could handle the commute every day in the winter. Might pay for the convenience factor.

FYI, I think McClurg smelled that way because around ASW there was a bit of a fire (some idiot send something on fire down the trash chute so the smoke went through the building).

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:18 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Streeterville-wise, what else is there besides McClurg and Onterie? I was really put off by all the smoke smell in McClurg.

Honestly if you buy the right clothes the cold itself isn't an issue at all, its just the inconvenience of wearing 6 layers. Just make sure not to be cheap when you're buying your cold weather gear.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Cobretti wrote:

I found padmapper was somewhat out of date compared to Craiglist (like a week behind). I used Craiglist map view.

FWIW, I found my apartment from these guys: http://www.ppmapartments.com. They were somewhat slow to respond to my initial request for information, but were crazy helpful in terms of helping me search from a different state. The leasing agent sent me a ton of photos of different apartments, and when I started getting a little crazy sent me a lot of extra photos of the apartment I eventually ended up choosing. I love that heat is included in the rent. I ended up seeing the apartment after putting my deposit down. It is exactly like the photos and other tenants seemed pretty happy. Will let you know more when I actually move there next Fri.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank you for that site! Looking now

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:48 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

I found padmapper was somewhat out of date compared to Craiglist (like a week behind). I used Craiglist map view.

FWIW, I found my apartment from these guys: http://www.ppmapartments.com. They were somewhat slow to respond to my initial request for information, but were crazy helpful in terms of helping me search from a different state. The leasing agent sent me a ton of photos of different apartments, and when I started getting a little crazy sent me a lot of extra photos of the apartment I eventually ended up choosing. I love that heat is included in the rent. I ended up seeing the apartment after putting my deposit down. It is exactly like the photos and other tenants seemed pretty happy. Will let you know more when I actually move there next Fri.

nice, ill check it out

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 pm

I want post more pictures of my dog soon. I don't know why I am writing this, as a teaser I guess.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I want post more pictures of my dog soon. I don't know why I am writing this, as a teaser I guess.

dog PW contest?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:04 pm

It's up to you whether or not you want to trust the opinion of anonymous strangers on the internet (you're on TLS, you already do) but I found this Reddit thread/post/thingy to be pretty informative: http://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/comment ... n_chicago/

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Jaqen wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Oh, and keep those posts coming. We've managed to unnerve the folks at NU 8)

twinkletoes16 wrote:guys, the cornell thread is beating us. CORNELL.

oh hell nah

looks like we have a derp war on our hands

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:29 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:guys, the cornell thread is beating us. CORNELL.

i think i just need to walk around in streeterville and see what i can find.

There's a bunch of stuff in streeterville. There''s 420 E Ohio and The Streeter (obscenely expensive though). Also there's a place on Grand and Ohio that allows dogs, I know someone w/a black lab who lives there. I would recommend padmapper. There's also lots of smaller places (aka not necessarily high rises) in Gold Coast/River North.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I want post more pictures of my dog soon. I don't know why I am writing this, as a teaser I guess.

dog PW contest?

Any-freakin-day. You're in for the shellacking of your life.
Winner gets both dogs.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”