Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm

yackob wrote:Haha touche. I actually like having roommates so I don't really want to pay the studio premium if I can avoid it. But I know some roommate situations near school will still cost up to 1200 and if they seem solid I'd pay that.


you can try posting in the facebook group--and welcome!

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 am

Longish post alert. I just returned from Chicago this weekend in an attempt to preempt the wave of other students going to the Monday housing event. Here are my reviews of the places I checked out (all studios in Streeterville/Gold Coast, with a soft cap of $1,400/month). Hopefully it may help those of you who are still looking, or those of you who can't make your way out there to inspect.

General observations: all the places I saw had comparable fitness centers, sun decks, and laundry facilities, and all had doormen up front. If you really want the best view, then Onterie and it's 60-floor sun deck is the place for you. But you shouldn't let that be the deciding factor; it's all pretty much the same.

Lake Shore Plaza - convertible: This was by far the largest unit I looked at, and I really liked the illusion of space they create with the convertible layout. The location is great (5-10 minute walk north to get to the law school). Unfortunately, the price was just north of $1,400, but I guess you get what you pay for in terms of square footage (almost 600 sq ft). I feel like there were comparable options (you sacrifice a bit of space, but not much) for cheaper and slightly closer to the school at Onterie or McClurg, but if you really want to avoid feeling like you're in a studio, it's worth a check-out.

1120 N. LaSalle - Some of the units have renovated kitchens, some don't, so a heads up if that's important to you. The units themselves were fine and looked clean (there are two studio floorplans; shoot for the one with the kitchen tucked further away from the entrance, as it felt like it gave more space and options for arranging furniture). The hallway felt a little janky, but how much time do you expect to spend out there anyway? They had a decent unit for $1,200, so the price isn't bad for what you get. The Gold Coast neighborhood seemed like a really cool place to live, though. Lots of bars, restaurants, and stores, all with a clean, friendly vibe. Probably around a 20-minute walk to school, if you're walking comfortably.

14 W. Elm - Like 1120 N. LaSalle, it's in a great neighborhood. But this was definitely the most janky place I saw. Nicked up hardwood floors in tiny studios and unrenovated kitchen units. But if you're looking to save money, you could get a unit for $1,100, but just remember you get what you pay for. Probably around a 20-minute walk to school, if you're walking comfortably.

Onterie - There are tons of opinions about Onterie, including from many law students, so I'll be brief. But there's a reason so many law students live here. It's crazy close (5 minutes to school, tops), it's pretty clean, and the higher up you go, the better views you get. There's a couple units in the 40s and 50s floors that had crazy views of the lake and the Navy Pier, and they're definitely near the top of my list. Those will run you around $1,350. The lower floors with lesser views (ie facing other directions) can drop to mid-$1,200s.

Seneca (Chestnut and DeWitt) - North of the school by about 5-10 minutes, this place used to be a hotel before they converted it to a residence, so the hallways look real nice :-P The units themselves are pretty spartan, however, feeling more cramped than the others I saw. Hardwood floors if you're into that, but I don't know if it's worth the $1,375 (mostly based on location) they want. This seemed to be the opposite of 1120 N. LaSalle: instead of the hallways being janky and the units being fine, it actually felt like the reverse.

211 E. Delaware - Also north of the school by about 5-10 minutes, this place has a few law students and it seemed like a decent mid-tier option. However, they only had Sep. 1 move-ins, which makes it kind of a non-starter for c/o 2016. But for what it's worth, the units are small but not unlivable, the hallways were dated but not ghetto, etc. It was all just sort of meh, but that's my opinion. I was pretty hungry so was only half there at the time. :-P

Feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'll do my best to answer specifics. As for me, I found a Godfather offer for a privately owned condo studio in the 900 N. Lake Shore complex, a building designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who I guess is a famous architect, or something. I dunno. Anyways, it's a clean, quiet, and decently spaced end unit with utilities included in the $1,150 price tag, and it comes fully furnished. 3 blocks from the law school, and I'm praying it's not a scam because it just seems too good to be true (for reference, my backup option is one of the $1,350 mega-view units at Onterie, and that doesn't include furniture or utilities). Knock on wood for me, y'all.

ip_law_app
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby ip_law_app » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 am

Hey, anyone know if there are lockers available on campus? Looks like I'll have a long commute my first few weeks of class before I get a place downtown, so I'll want to bring a bag with workout clothes/change of clothes in addition to my books and such.

Along the same lines, are there showers on campus?
Thanks!

User avatar
MDeeGee
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby MDeeGee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 am

ip_law_app wrote:Hey, anyone know if there are lockers available on campus? Looks like I'll have a long commute my first few weeks of class before I get a place downtown, so I'll want to bring a bag with workout clothes/change of clothes in addition to my books and such.

Along the same lines, are there showers on campus?
Thanks!


Took a tour a couple weeks ago of campus and yes, there are showers and locker rooms for use by the students...

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Kikero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:11 am

MDeeGee wrote:
ip_law_app wrote:Hey, anyone know if there are lockers available on campus? Looks like I'll have a long commute my first few weeks of class before I get a place downtown, so I'll want to bring a bag with workout clothes/change of clothes in addition to my books and such.

Along the same lines, are there showers on campus?
Thanks!


Took a tour a couple weeks ago of campus and yes, there are showers and locker rooms for use by the students...


Yep. And you can also get a separate library locker if you think your normal locker won't be big enough for books + extra stuff, although the normal lockers are full length so it shouldn't be a problem.

User avatar
jn7
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby jn7 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 am

Although it was a small sample set, I noticed that some apartments (2b 2ba) were actually cheaper in the loop than comparable ones in Gold Coast/Streeterville area. Is that typical? My future roommate, who has lived in Chicago for a while, said there might be more demand in GC/Streeterville. Maybe it's just an anomaly, but I would have thought the loop would be more expensive. I've only heard people really talk about apartments north of the loop thus far.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Kikero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 am

jn7 wrote:Although it was a small sample set, I noticed that some apartments (2b 2ba) were actually cheaper in the loop than comparable ones in Gold Coast/Streeterville area. Is that typical? My future roommate, who has lived in Chicago for a while, said there might be more demand in GC/Streeterville. Maybe it's just an anomaly, but I would have thought the loop would be more expensive. I've only heard people really talk about apartments north of the loop thus far.


Apart from much higher end apartments/condos, Streeterville is pretty much the most expensive neighborhood in town. Are there places in the Loop that cost twice as much as a place in Streeterville? Yeah. But on average it's not any more expensive. Streeterville gets boring (and some would argue it doesn't get boring because it always is) after 11pm, but you've got O'Toole's and can walk over to some bars a bit further west; the Loop is dead by then.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby LRGhost » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:32 am

There's some building that I can't for the life of my find again that is, I guess, part hotel part apartments. I don't really remember much else except it was affordable and furnished. Would anyone remember?

I'm looking mostly through padmapper and maps on rental agencies' websites. Whenever I find a room I like, I try to yelp or apartmentratings the building and go from there. Idk if that's helpful but it's stopped me from considering a few places where it seems like people have issues with management or various things like elevators and such.

900/910 N Lakeshore looks really sweet if you can get it an affordable price. That's pretty much what I'm looking for, an apartment that's in a place that's mostly condos where people tend to own or stay a while if they're renting.

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:39 am

LRGhost wrote:There's some building that I can't for the life of my find again that is, I guess, part hotel part apartments. I don't really remember much else except it was affordable and furnished. Would anyone remember?


The Seneca?

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby LRGhost » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 am

dolfan0516 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:There's some building that I can't for the life of my find again that is, I guess, part hotel part apartments. I don't really remember much else except it was affordable and furnished. Would anyone remember?


The Seneca?


Nah, it was cheaper and the website wasn't as flashy. :/ Wish I could remember or had saved it.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:37 pm

.
Last edited by Cobretti on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm

anyone else at 1111 n dearborn?

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'll do my best to answer specifics. As for me, I found a Godfather offer for a privately owned condo studio in the 900 N. Lake Shore complex, a building designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who I guess is a famous architect, or something. I dunno. Anyways, it's a clean, quiet, and decently spaced end unit with utilities included in the $1,150 price tag, and it comes fully furnished. 3 blocks from the law school, and I'm praying it's not a scam because it just seems too good to be true (for reference, my backup option is one of the $1,350 mega-view units at Onterie, and that doesn't include furniture or utilities). Knock on wood for me, y'all.


Good luck! Oh, and this post is great - thanks for this!

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:08 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who I guess is a famous architect, or something. I dunno.
:?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe
--LinkRemoved--)
http://goo.gl/maps/R8nhJ

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:07 pm

is there an apple store close to campus? my 2 year old Air has been having issues lately--gonna try to deal with them all before moving but just in case...

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:10 pm

simplycatalina wrote:is there an apple store close to campus? my 2 year old Air has been having issues lately--gonna try to deal with them all before moving but just in case...


Michigan and... Huron, maybe? 10 minute walk from campus.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm

simplycatalina wrote:is there an apple store close to campus? my 2 year old Air has been having issues lately--gonna try to deal with them all before moving but just in case...

There's one about 2 long blocks away on Michigan Ave.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who I guess is a famous architect, or something. I dunno.
:?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe
--LinkRemoved--)
http://goo.gl/maps/R8nhJ

I know Frank Lloyd Wright, and Ted Mosby. Is he more famous than both of them? :lol:

User avatar
Solistus
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:23 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Solistus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 pm

I still think you guys are nuts for looking in Streeterville. 1400 a month is our entire room and board budget. Do you guys plan on not eating all year?

Not to brag again, but... 775 a month. 20 minute commute. Surrounded by cheap food. Lincoln Park ftw.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Solistus wrote:I still think you guys are nuts for looking in Streeterville. 1400 a month is our entire room and board budget. Do you guys plan on not eating all year?

Not to brag again, but... 775 a month. 20 minute commute. Surrounded by cheap food. Lincoln Park ftw.

Living in downtown Chicago would be pretty awesome, at least for a year. If I didn't have my dog I think I'd try to make Streeterville work.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Kikero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Solistus wrote:I still think you guys are nuts for looking in Streeterville. 1400 a month is our entire room and board budget. Do you guys plan on not eating all year?

Not to brag again, but... 775 a month. 20 minute commute. Surrounded by cheap food. Lincoln Park ftw.


You actually get over $1550/month; summer is not included in your loans (you can get additional loans for summer, or other sources of funding). Streeterville is a really reasonable option for your first year, especially if you are not used to public transit/a city environment. Of course, I just signed a lease to move to Lincoln Park from Streeterville yesterday (so obviously I think LP is a good option too), but I'm really glad I lived here my first year.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Solistus wrote:I still think you guys are nuts for looking in Streeterville. 1400 a month is our entire room and board budget. Do you guys plan on not eating all year?

Not to brag again, but... 775 a month. 20 minute commute. Surrounded by cheap food. Lincoln Park ftw.

And when we're waking up 15 minutes before class starts and rolling in on time...or you realize you forgot your casebook/laptop charger/wallet at home but can't run and get them...or it's 2°/102° out...or you have to wear your suit all day but we can go home and change into/out of ours...then you'll understand. It's not for everyone, but there's not an objectively wrong choice. I'd originally told myself I would move after 1L, but I'm not. I like being close too much.

User avatar
jn7
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby jn7 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Kikero wrote:
jn7 wrote:Although it was a small sample set, I noticed that some apartments (2b 2ba) were actually cheaper in the loop than comparable ones in Gold Coast/Streeterville area. Is that typical? My future roommate, who has lived in Chicago for a while, said there might be more demand in GC/Streeterville. Maybe it's just an anomaly, but I would have thought the loop would be more expensive. I've only heard people really talk about apartments north of the loop thus far.


Apart from much higher end apartments/condos, Streeterville is pretty much the most expensive neighborhood in town. Are there places in the Loop that cost twice as much as a place in Streeterville? Yeah. But on average it's not any more expensive. Streeterville gets boring (and some would argue it doesn't get boring because it always is) after 11pm, but you've got O'Toole's and can walk over to some bars a bit further west; the Loop is dead by then.


I was in Chicago a little while back and went over to NU after 11 just to check it out and yeah you're spot on. I will say that down the street a bit was a W Hotel where people were having a great time! I think it'd be strange if that's where I spent a lot of time though...

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby LRGhost » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm

jn7 wrote:
Kikero wrote:
jn7 wrote:Although it was a small sample set, I noticed that some apartments (2b 2ba) were actually cheaper in the loop than comparable ones in Gold Coast/Streeterville area. Is that typical? My future roommate, who has lived in Chicago for a while, said there might be more demand in GC/Streeterville. Maybe it's just an anomaly, but I would have thought the loop would be more expensive. I've only heard people really talk about apartments north of the loop thus far.


Apart from much higher end apartments/condos, Streeterville is pretty much the most expensive neighborhood in town. Are there places in the Loop that cost twice as much as a place in Streeterville? Yeah. But on average it's not any more expensive. Streeterville gets boring (and some would argue it doesn't get boring because it always is) after 11pm, but you've got O'Toole's and can walk over to some bars a bit further west; the Loop is dead by then.


I was in Chicago a little while back and went over to NU after 11 just to check it out and yeah you're spot on. I will say that down the street a bit was a W Hotel where people were having a great time! I think it'd be strange if that's where I spent a lot of time though...


If people spend a lot of time in hotel bars, I will feel at home.

User avatar
jn7
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby jn7 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm

LRGhost wrote:
jn7 wrote:
Kikero wrote:
jn7 wrote:Although it was a small sample set, I noticed that some apartments (2b 2ba) were actually cheaper in the loop than comparable ones in Gold Coast/Streeterville area. Is that typical? My future roommate, who has lived in Chicago for a while, said there might be more demand in GC/Streeterville. Maybe it's just an anomaly, but I would have thought the loop would be more expensive. I've only heard people really talk about apartments north of the loop thus far.


Apart from much higher end apartments/condos, Streeterville is pretty much the most expensive neighborhood in town. Are there places in the Loop that cost twice as much as a place in Streeterville? Yeah. But on average it's not any more expensive. Streeterville gets boring (and some would argue it doesn't get boring because it always is) after 11pm, but you've got O'Toole's and can walk over to some bars a bit further west; the Loop is dead by then.


I was in Chicago a little while back and went over to NU after 11 just to check it out and yeah you're spot on. I will say that down the street a bit was a W Hotel where people were having a great time! I think it'd be strange if that's where I spent a lot of time though...


If people spend a lot of time in hotel bars, I will feel at home.


I'd say there are definitely worse places to drink a little stress away than a hotel bar. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up there at least couple times! Did you travel a lot for work or something?




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest