Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
CalAlumni

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby CalAlumni » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:59 am

Just got in. I'm so happy!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I actually enjoy taking the MBTI because it gives me an opportunity to judge everyone

It'll be interesting to see how different law school students test compared to business school students. Guessing we'll have a lot more INTJs if stereotypes are to be believed.

CalAlumni wrote:Just got in. I'm so happy!

grats!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey everyone!!!

I haven't read the thread so sorry if y'all know this already, but I just wanted to notify everyone that the admissions office is offering reimbursement for travel expenses for ASW this year!!! Up to $150 (: Last year we didn't get any reimbursement, so this is a pretty awesome step up.

ALSO: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I hope to see all of your beautiful faces on campus next year :mrgreen:

ETA: just read through the thread a bit, yup y'all definitely already knew that. :lol:

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 am

mrizza wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:I actually enjoy taking the MBTI because it gives me an opportunity to judge everyone

It'll be interesting to see how different law school students test compared to business school students. Guessing we'll have a lot more INTJs if stereotypes are to be believed.

grats!

Wish they would consider MBTI personalty types like they do URMs. Although to a group of INTJs I'm sure an ENFP would be perceived to be quite the douchenugget.

Look! See how amazing this is? The unabashed judging has already commenced.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:05 am

My year the 1Ls who took the MBTI test were evenly split between extroverts and introverts, but the people who showed up to the "learn about what your type means!" presentation were about 90% introverts.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
mrizza wrote:

grats!

Wish they would consider MBTI personalty types like they do URMs. Although to a group of INTJs I'm sure an ENFP would be perceived to be quite the douchenugget.

Look! See how amazing this is? The unabashed judging has already commenced.

You're a monster

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52 am

If anyone cares, some info from the dean's office today:

*The 1L class entering in 2013 will be reduced in size by 20-25 people. (So like 225-230 instead of 250 or thereabouts)
*Tuition will go up 3% again. (By my math, that's about $1600)
*NU "will increase our total investment in need- and merit-based financial aid for entering students and in our LRAP program for graduating students by at least 25% during the next two years"

Make of that what you will.

M458

Postby M458 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If anyone cares, some info from the dean's office today:

*The 1L class entering in 2013 will be reduced in size by 20-25 people. (So like 225-230 instead of 250 or thereabouts)
*NU "will increase our total investment in need- and merit-based financial aid for entering students and in our LRAP program for graduating students by at least 25% during the next two years"

Thanks for this. Smaller class size is a strong positive, no? I imagine that will help with employment #s?

Not surprised by the 3%...though wish it were lower.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 pm

M458 wrote:

Thanks for this. Smaller class size is a strong positive, no? I imagine that will help with employment #s?

I'd think so. Smaller class size and more scholly money is a pretty huge double win. Really hoping I get the scholly $ to make this happen...

thx rink

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 pm

M458 wrote:

FWIW 3% equals the lowest increase ever, which was last year.

The smaller class size sounds great, but are employers going to be willing to go deeper into the class to get the same number of grads, or will the cutoff remain the same? I'm guessing the later.

Either way, the administration being proactive (compared to others) about class size and tuition is a huge plus in my book.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm

got my school e-mail address set up today. can't wait to move to chicago. 8)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:14 pm

feralinfant wrote:got my school e-mail address set up today. can't wait to move to chicago. 8)

+1 to email, and hoping i can make the decision to move to Chicago in the next 3 weeks*

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:09 am

looks like they posted a tentative ASW schedule

curepure

Postby curepure » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 am

what's unique educational opportunities at nu law, are they starting to hire students like uva lol?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:39 am

curepure wrote:what's unique educational opportunities at nu law, are they starting to hire students like uva lol?

Lol at least we would shoot up in the rankings. But from reading that magazine they mailed us I bet they go over everything the dean mentioned on the nu difference question, like the bluhm clinic and the senior research projects

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm

mrizza wrote:
curepure wrote:what's unique educational opportunities at nu law, are they starting to hire students like uva lol?

Lol at least we would shoot up in the rankings. But from reading that magazine they mailed us I bet they go over everything the dean mentioned on the nu difference question, like the bluhm clinic and the senior research projects

Yeah, I'm guessing it's stuff like clinics, International Team Project, Alternative Spring Break, Clerkships, Externships, etc. Everything law school-y that isn't strictly class. The last two years they had it broken down more on the ASW schedule so you could choose 2 of 3 options to attend, and that's what's missing from this year's schedule.

curepure

Postby curepure » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Just found this video "Law School" (Payphone by Maroon 5 Parody) so funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTbofSUBso

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:50 pm

feralinfant wrote:got my school e-mail address set up today. can't wait to move to chicago. 8)

+1 Setting my email up somehow made things feel a bit more real.

Regarding moving to Chicago, does anyone know anything about the Roscoe Village area? I'm looking for an area with good schools for my daughter that isn't stupidly expensive. I looks like I could pick up a decent 3BR unit there for <$2500 and the Audobon Elementary School is supposedly great. How awful would the commute be? The Brown line supposedly runs from Roscoe Village into town, how long would this take? Any advice or shared experience would be awesome!

Does anyone know of better areas? I would strongly prefer three bedrooms as I do have two children, but we could make it work with a 2BR if necessary. We'll also be moving with two small dogs, so the place needs to be pet friendly. As noted earlier, access to good public schools is a big factor.

P.S. Looking forward to meeting some of you at ASW in a few weeks!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm

curepure wrote:Just found this video "Law School" (Payphone by Maroon 5 Parody) so funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTbofSUBso

haha that's awesome

Forrest Gunner is my favorite LS parody.
I'm a Gunner and I Know It is also pretty awesome 8)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 pm

MAHamlin wrote:

Regarding moving to Chicago, does anyone know anything about the Roscoe Village area? I'm looking for an area with good schools for my daughter that isn't stupidly expensive. I looks like I could pick up a decent 3BR unit there for <$2500 and the Audobon Elementary School is supposedly great. How awful would the commute be? The Brown line supposedly runs from Roscoe Village into town, how long would this take? Any advice or shared experience would be awesome!

Does anyone know of better areas? I would strongly prefer three bedrooms as I do have two children, but we could make it work with a 2BR if necessary. We'll also be moving with two small dogs, so the place needs to be pet friendly. As noted earlier, access to good public schools is a big factor.

I'd ask the current students in this thread. They probably have way more info.

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:05 pm

mrizza wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:

Will do! Thanks for the link!

gfd973

Postby gfd973 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 am

Can anyone comment on how to approach the scholarship essays? Is this the venue in which I should be mentioning other acceptances or is that just dumb?

kwroche

Postby kwroche » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 pm

MAHamlin wrote:
mrizza wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:

Will do! Thanks for the link!

Hey,

The Brown Line commute from Roscoe village is roughly 25-30 minutes (15 minutes for train, then a 1 mile walk). Roscoe Village is a great area. It's inexpensive for being located on the North Side, pretty centrally located, and has a great community feel. I can't comment too much on the school systems, but I know it is pretty family friendly. I've been a licensed broker in Chicago for the past 3 years (part-time), so if you want to discuss anything regarding Chicago real estate in detail, PM me.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm

gfd973 wrote:Can anyone comment on how to approach the scholarship essays? Is this the venue in which I should be mentioning other acceptances or is that just dumb?

Someone else will be able to have better insights I'm sure but my impression is that NU does not appreciate being leaned hard on very much at all, so i wouldn't do it in the essay necessarily. That being said I sort of alluded to some of my offers w/o a lot of specificity and tried to be very polite about it. I'm talking like 1-2 sentences along the lines of: I love NU and despite having offers at lower ranked schools would still very much like to attend.

And that was it, the rest of it was focused on answering the questions the prompt asked. I think (though am not sure) that the venue for specifically mentioning your other offers would be a very respectful e-mail, not the essays. I'm waiting to see what sort of offer they make before explicitly informing them about my offers.

I also emphasized the manner in which you phrase this stuff so much because if you look around at things Johann has posted he does not respond well to things that he seems to perceive as rude, or strongarming. So basically even if you have some leverage, go out of your way to make sure you don't come across as a dick. (This seems to contrast with, say G-town where people seem to just say "give me X dollars you bastards or im not coming" w/o any real repercussions). But this is all mostly conjecture I've put together from lurking the boards and Johanns twitter.

Plus in general it's probably better to be polite/deferential in this process anyway, it just seems notable since Johann publicly comments on this stuff.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm gonna +1 feralinfant here. Johann said on G+ last year that they did not give merit scholarships to some people who deserved them because those people were cocky or rude in their essays.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”