Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
CalAlumni
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby CalAlumni » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Hey, I've got a question guys/girls--

In Caesar I've got 2 'to do' items. The first is the DL Master Promissory Note and the second is the DL PLUS Promissory Note. I'd like to apply to the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan with a cosigner--will I be prompted through this online as I complete the DL PLUS Promissory Note on studentloans.gov?

The reason I'm asking and not trying it out is because the server is under maintenance Sunday.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby LRGhost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:08 pm

So if I want to email inquiring about scholarship money, would they already have my FAFSA/NeedAccess? I have it all submitted, completed, etc., but I haven't received any info about loans and all that. How long should it take before I find out I can get money/get it into my bank account so I can really seriously start looking at housing?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:19 pm

LRGhost wrote:So if I want to email inquiring about scholarship money, would they already have my FAFSA/NeedAccess? I have it all submitted, completed, etc., but I haven't received any info about loans and all that. How long should it take before I find out I can get money/get it into my bank account so I can really seriously start looking at housing?

If you listed NU as a recipient for both then they have it, but I'd still email them because I don't know how its working at this point in the cycle

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby LRGhost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Cobretti wrote:
LRGhost wrote:So if I want to email inquiring about scholarship money, would they already have my FAFSA/NeedAccess? I have it all submitted, completed, etc., but I haven't received any info about loans and all that. How long should it take before I find out I can get money/get it into my bank account so I can really seriously start looking at housing?

If you listed NU as a recipient for both then they have it, but I'd still email them because I don't know how its working at this point in the cycle


Thank you. I figured that's what I would do, just wanted to see if anyone was also waiting on info going through. Do you or anyone else have any information on the expediency of loans being disbursed or a timetable for that?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:47 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
LRGhost wrote:So if I want to email inquiring about scholarship money, would they already have my FAFSA/NeedAccess? I have it all submitted, completed, etc., but I haven't received any info about loans and all that. How long should it take before I find out I can get money/get it into my bank account so I can really seriously start looking at housing?

If you listed NU as a recipient for both then they have it, but I'd still email them because I don't know how its working at this point in the cycle


Thank you. I figured that's what I would do, just wanted to see if anyone was also waiting on info going through. Do you or anyone else have any information on the expediency of loans being disbursed or a timetable for that?

Loans haven't been dispersed but someone ITT called about it and was told to expect loan awards the second week of July. I don't know how that timeline affects scholly considerations though

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Cobretti wrote:I wouldn't take WUSTL full over NU sticker, but that's because I'm trying to get back to CA so anything without national reach is a no go for me.


Yeah I'm in the same situation right now and that's pretty much what I'm thinking too.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby feralinfant » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 pm

well just got all my shit into storage. i can't believe i have to fuck with it all again in 4 weeks. :(

jdb2013
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby jdb2013 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:04 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:It really depends on how debt averse you are but there are a few things to consider when looking at WUSTL for free v NU for sticker. For example, I'm discovering that there are going to be some firms who will give you an opportunity to interview/get your foot in the door sheerly bc you are an NU student. This is regardless of your grades. On the other hand, youre going to have to get much higher grades at WUSTL if you want to get a job at a more prestigious law firm (like kirkland/sidley), simply because they aren't used to taking lots of WUSTL students. Additionally, WUSTL isn't located in a strong market like NU is, so you get less exposure to firms and it's going to be more difficult to network and set up meetings with attorneys and etc etc. I can't speak to the strength of WUSTL's alumni network, but I have been floored by the size of NU's. Plus, you might not realize this, but having a strong TLS NU network is REALLY REALLY helpful. As a 1L, you don't really know many 2Ls to begin with, but here on TLS you'll find tons of amazing people who are happy to share outlines, give you advice, and try to get you through the rollercoaster that is 1L in one piece. Then, during OCI, same thing -- lots of great, diverse advice from people who have been there before.

With that said, WUSTL is a great school and you can certainly be succcessful if you go there. Plus, you'll have no tuition debt which is AWESOME. And STL is cheaper to live in, so less COL debt. NU is pretty damn expensive and you will pretty much guaranteed graduate with 200K-250K of debt if you live in streeterville and pay full tuition and have no outside help. That's not something to dismiss lightly. If you for some reason don't do well or strike out, that's a noose around your neck for years and years and years.



its certainly something i'm thinking very hard about while i wait to hear back re: scholarships/aid. hopefully next week i'll discover i'm not weighing full ride vs. ticket. the low costs of stl are absolutely appealing, as is the free tuition - i'm just not sure if i'm comfortable with the potential to be stuck in stl/midwest post law school. getting back to nyc is important, and at least in terms of statistics - this points towards nu.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:23 pm

feralinfant wrote:well just got all my shit into storage. i can't believe i have to fuck with it all again in 4 weeks. :(

Bummer, dude. But think of it this way: you'll leave some fun stuff to sift through on Storage Wars if you don't swing by to pick it up.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:21 pm

There was talk earlier in the thread about a fantasy football league. Is there any room for an extra member?

User avatar
pammie0415
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:56 pm

It's July! Seriously can't wait to be in Chicago! 3 more weeks of work for me though :(

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:There was talk earlier in the thread about a fantasy football league. Is there any room for an extra member?

I'll go back and get the list and see who withdrew. I know we lost one guy (and filled his spot), but I bet there are more

User avatar
pammie0415
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Just thought I'd put this out there since it might be useful for others. I'm aboard right now so having my immunization record mailed to me by my undergrad isn't really possible. I emailed NU and they said that it's totally okay to submit a scanned copy of the form. So if you can get your doctor to fill it out and email it to you in a PDF form, you can then submit that PDF file to NU. Or if you school is willing to email you the records, you can then easily forward that on. 8)

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:08 pm

So I dug through and I thought we had 12/12 for fantasy but I'm only finding when we had 11/12 posted. so we actually have room for you banana.

I'll send out PMs to the people with (?) to confirm they're still going to NU since they don't seem to post ITT much anymore.

As it stands here's our league:

FlowBro Magnalum
PBateman1
MicDiddy
Cookiejar1
thefuturenow(?)
dolfan17(?)
feralinfant
kwroche
cobretti
bloomsie
bananasplit19
save_ferris(?)

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby dolfan0516 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 pm

FYI, the sports law society will be putting fantasy football leagues together too

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 am

So how are we going to determine draft order? I'm thinking a competition... preferably one that I have a good shot at winning.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 am

Guys, I'll actually be working around 50-60 hours a week this next month, I am so excited for August...
Last edited by simplycatalina on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 am

cookiejar1 wrote:So how are we going to determine draft order? I'm thinking a competition... preferably one that I have a good shot at winning.

I recommend something Johann-related, as he's a fantasy player himself.

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby KremeCheez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

simplycatalina wrote:Guys, I'll actually be working around 50-60 hours a week this next month, I am so excited for August...


And this is after you quit one of your jobs?

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

KremeCheez wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:Guys, I'll actually be working around 50-60 hours a week this next month, I am so excited for August...


And this is after you quit one of your jobs?


Yep. This is my life.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:So how are we going to determine draft order? I'm thinking a competition... preferably one that I have a good shot at winning.

Demetri Martin had a game at NYU where him and his friends would be assigned some weird word that they would have to try and organically use when they got called on in class. We could come up with a list of 12 really weird words, and then it can just be a race to use one in front of the class (either from getting called on or asking a question). Of course we'll probably be in different sections so we'll need other people to verify and timestamp whenever one occurs, then we can just simply rank by order of completion.

And if you awkwardly laugh like an idiot when you're trying to do it, it doesn't count.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Cobretti wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:So how are we going to determine draft order? I'm thinking a competition... preferably one that I have a good shot at winning.

Demetri Martin had a game at NYU where him and his friends would be assigned some weird word that they would have to try and organically use when they got called on in class. We could come up with a list of 12 really weird words, and then it can just be a race to use one in front of the class (either from getting called on or asking a question). Of course we'll probably be in different sections so we'll need other people to verify and timestamp whenever one occurs, then we can just simply rank by order of completion.

And if you awkwardly laugh like an idiot when you're trying to do it, it doesn't count.

I like it, although I figured we'd try to draft before classes start? How about we sit down and take a BARBRI MBE...36 multiple choice questions on stuff we're thoroughly unqualified to answer? If you're gunner enough to do well on a simulated bar exam, you deserve AP or Foster.

User avatar
Magnalum
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Magnalum » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:04 pm

.
Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:So how are we going to determine draft order? I'm thinking a competition... preferably one that I have a good shot at winning.

Demetri Martin had a game at NYU where him and his friends would be assigned some weird word that they would have to try and organically use when they got called on in class. We could come up with a list of 12 really weird words, and then it can just be a race to use one in front of the class (either from getting called on or asking a question). Of course we'll probably be in different sections so we'll need other people to verify and timestamp whenever one occurs, then we can just simply rank by order of completion.

And if you awkwardly laugh like an idiot when you're trying to do it, it doesn't count.

I like it, although I figured we'd try to draft before classes start? How about we sit down and take a BARBRI MBE...36 multiple choice questions on stuff we're thoroughly unqualified to answer? If you're gunner enough to do well on a simulated bar exam, you deserve AP or Foster.

Actually that's a good point, drafting before classes start should be the plan. I dunno about the BARBRI MBE though... doing something like that will get our class a gunning rep before school even starts (in case our questions to 2Ls/3Ls on TLS haven't already given us the scarlet letter)

ETA: as long as we agree to deny it after the fact that works though

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby onionz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:27 pm

I assume no one got that loan-information email to their Northwestern email that the matriculation email said would arrive in June?




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest