Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Magnalum

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby Magnalum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bethanyrose09

Postby bethanyrose09 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 pm

always higher ranked schools with more money.

bethanyrose09

Postby bethanyrose09 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 pm

you can try the lower ranked schools but sending them higher ranked schools with less money may move them if youre talking about CCN

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 pm

bethanyrose09 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:always higher ranked schools with more money.

Sorry I mis-typed. Would it be better to send them my higher ranked schools with less money, or my lower ranked schools with more money? (It's usually an inverse relationship)

If you're the guy that just updated on LSN an hour ago, don't you have to go with WUSTL?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 pm

dstars823 wrote:you can try the lower ranked schools but sending them higher ranked schools with less money may move them if youre talking about CCN

I agree that a HYSCCN offer for less money will move them. Purely speculating, but I think NU would consider MVPBD as peers and so a lesser offer from them won't be very effective. I would lean on the lower-ranked school with more money. If anything, it'll give them a clear benchmark to match (if they so choose).

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:11 am

Friend just posted a picture with the stanley cup. Why the fuck aren't i in chicago yet.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:29 am

feralinfant wrote:Friend just posted a picture with the stanley cup. Why the fuck aren't i in chicago yet.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 am

Micdiddy wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Friend just posted a picture with the stanley cup. Why the fuck aren't i in chicago yet.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 am

Cobretti wrote:Actually you only have to fill out the Part 2 if you aren't submitting a copy of your immunization records.

So what you are saying is I should learn to read and follow simple instructions.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 am

will everyone itt go to epicmafia.com and create an account (preferably with your tls name) so we can play and have lulz together? K thanks.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm

In this week's edition of Last-Few-Weeks-At-Work-Senioritis: there's a chance of a widespread bus and subway strike here in the Bay Area next week, and I'm trying to parlay that possibility into just not showing up at the office, and getting a head start on my July 4th holiday. My productivity is pretty close to flatlining already anyway.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Triple degree weather across some parts of LA today. How does one savor the heat while it lasts? I don't know. I've been cursing all morning and afternoon.

EDIT: May or may not really be triple degree weather. I shamelessly made that up. It feels true though and so I'm willing to stand by it. Google it, I dare you.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:47 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Triple degree weather across some parts of LA today. How does one savor the heat while it lasts? I don't know. I've been cursing all morning and afternoon.

EDIT: May or may not really be triple degree weather. I shamelessly made that up. It feels true though and so I'm willing to stand by it. Google it, I dare you.

95 here today. Bring on them Chicago winters!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Just gave my two weeks notice at one of my jobs yayyy! Now I just have to do the same at my other two jobs. Still counting down the days.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:27 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Triple degree weather across some parts of LA today. How does one savor the heat while it lasts? I don't know. I've been cursing all morning and afternoon.

Realize that summer in Chicago is often more miserable than a few days of triple degree weather.

And yes it was triple degree weather in parts of SoCal.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:31 am

bk1 wrote:

Realize that summer in Chicago is often more miserable than a few days of triple degree weather.

cookie is gonna have a 1L SA back in socal anyway

jdb2013

Postby jdb2013 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bethanyrose09 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:always higher ranked schools with more money.

Sorry I mis-typed. Would it be better to send them my higher ranked schools with less money, or my lower ranked schools with more money? (It's usually an inverse relationship)

If you're the guy that just updated on LSN an hour ago, don't you have to go with WUSTL?

I may be the guy on lsn you are talking about.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 pm

I don't think NU sticker is better than WUSTL full ride. Good luck getting $ from NU though, might change things around!

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I don't think NU sticker is better than WUSTL full ride. Good luck getting $ from NU though, might change things around!

I'm also mulling this one over myself. Here's hoping Jill comes back with good news early next week to make it a moot point.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:58 pm

It really depends on how debt averse you are but there are a few things to consider when looking at WUSTL for free v NU for sticker. For example, I'm discovering that there are going to be some firms who will give you an opportunity to interview/get your foot in the door sheerly bc you are an NU student. This is regardless of your grades. On the other hand, youre going to have to get much higher grades at WUSTL if you want to get a job at a more prestigious law firm (like kirkland/sidley), simply because they aren't used to taking lots of WUSTL students. Additionally, WUSTL isn't located in a strong market like NU is, so you get less exposure to firms and it's going to be more difficult to network and set up meetings with attorneys and etc etc. I can't speak to the strength of WUSTL's alumni network, but I have been floored by the size of NU's. Plus, you might not realize this, but having a strong TLS NU network is REALLY REALLY helpful. As a 1L, you don't really know many 2Ls to begin with, but here on TLS you'll find tons of amazing people who are happy to share outlines, give you advice, and try to get you through the rollercoaster that is 1L in one piece. Then, during OCI, same thing -- lots of great, diverse advice from people who have been there before.

With that said, WUSTL is a great school and you can certainly be succcessful if you go there. Plus, you'll have no tuition debt which is AWESOME. And STL is cheaper to live in, so less COL debt. NU is pretty damn expensive and you will pretty much guaranteed graduate with 200K-250K of debt if you live in streeterville and pay full tuition and have no outside help. That's not something to dismiss lightly. If you for some reason don't do well or strike out, that's a noose around your neck for years and years and years.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bk1 wrote:

cookie is gonna have a 1L SA back in socal anyway

I'm gunning for Barry Zuckerkorn's law firm.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:It really depends on how debt averse you are but there are a few things to consider when looking at WUSTL for free v NU for sticker. For example, I'm discovering that there are going to be some firms who will give you an opportunity to interview/get your foot in the door sheerly bc you are an NU student. This is regardless of your grades. On the other hand, youre going to have to get much higher grades at WUSTL if you want to get a job at a more prestigious law firm (like kirkland/sidley), simply because they aren't used to taking lots of WUSTL students. Additionally, WUSTL isn't located in a strong market like NU is, so you get less exposure to firms and it's going to be more difficult to network and set up meetings with attorneys and etc etc. I can't speak to the strength of WUSTL's alumni network, but I have been floored by the size of NU's. Plus, you might not realize this, but having a strong TLS NU network is REALLY REALLY helpful. As a 1L, you don't really know many 2Ls to begin with, but here on TLS you'll find tons of amazing people who are happy to share outlines, give you advice, and try to get you through the rollercoaster that is 1L in one piece. Then, during OCI, same thing -- lots of great, diverse advice from people who have been there before.

With that said, WUSTL is a great school and you can certainly be succcessful if you go there. Plus, you'll have no tuition debt which is AWESOME. And STL is cheaper to live in, so less COL debt. NU is pretty damn expensive and you will pretty much guaranteed graduate with 200K-250K of debt if you live in streeterville and pay full tuition and have no outside help. That's not something to dismiss lightly. If you for some reason don't do well or strike out, that's a noose around your neck for years and years and years.

This is really good information! Thanks crumpetsandtea.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I wouldn't take WUSTL full over NU sticker, but that's because I'm trying to get back to CA so anything without national reach is a no go for me.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”