Northwestern Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
dstars823

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Post by dstars823 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Also, does anyone do IMs (mainly soccer) or is that too far away since it would probably be in evanston?

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:24 pm

dstars823 wrote:Also, does anyone do IMs (mainly soccer) or is that too far away since it would probably be in evanston?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading in the Northwestern 3L thread that there's IM teams for soccer and basketball across the street, and some other sports as well. You can play with the UG's too but it takes a lot of time.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Yeah, there are multiple IM soccer and basketball teams of law students, and they play literally across the street at the Lakeshore Park Fieldhouse (in the park with the running track, the block north of campus.)

I know Kikero played soccer this year; you might ask him for more details.

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 pm

I should have checked out the fieldhouse when I was in Chicago. Is there just a bball court in there or is there workout stuff as well? I'll probably still join for accessing the court. It's only like $10/mo I think?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 pm

The fieldhouse is just basketball courts, bathrooms, and storage. I think there is a really small classroom in there for teaching first aid or something, but there aren't any weights or anything like that.

dstars also brought the soccer thing to my attention, so here's what I sent him (or her) about the program:
Kikero wrote:So the IM soccer at NU is actually indoor soccer, basically futsal. We play on an indoor basketball court that is right across the street from school. The park there also has two baseball fields that are almost never in use, and just some general open space, so it's real easy to go out there before your game and get warmed up just kicking the ball around.

When the Fall semester starts, the league admin will send out an email to the whole school asking if anyone wants to register to play. You form your own teams and just send him the list. There is a small fee, but I can't remember how much it is. Teams can be any size, but since you play 4 at a time (including GK) you probably want at least 6 and not more than 12ish. There are two leagues, competitive and casual. In practice, a lot of teams play in both just to get more playing time. The differences are 1) that casual requires you to have at least 1 girl on the field at all times, and girls' goals count for 2 instead of 1 if your team has more women on the field than the other team; and 2) that in competitive you play out of bounds whereas in casual you can play the ball off the walls. Both leagues are open to the entire university, but in practice it's mostly Law and Medicine (because the games are played downtown), with a few other assorted teams (there were physical therapy and engineering teams last year).

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bloomsie

New

Post by Bloomsie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 pm

feralinfant wrote:
MDeeGee wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Has anyone been able to sign up for health insurance through Caesar? I feel like the e-mails indicated it would be possible to do so this month but either it's not working or I'm a dumb. I called and left a message with the insurance people but i figured I'd check in with TLS too.
I called and asked about this about a week ago and was told that we'd be able to sign up after August 1.
Thanks. That sucks that i'm done with my job on July 29th though. Was hoping for something seamless/painless w/r/t my insurance but i guess this last week will be fun navigating the wonderful world of healthcare.
dstars823 wrote:anyone here down for going to the Cubs game on Sep 1 or 2? we will be done with orientation and i think a baseball game would be a good way to relax before school.

also baseball games are a great reason to drink for 3 hours during the middle of the day
This is relevant to my interests.
My HR manager suggested just holding onto the COBRA paperwork, and if something comes up, you can register for COBRA retroactive to when you left your job. So its like an $800 fee, but its a lot less than the emergency hospital bill. Otherwise, take care of everything non-emergency before you leave your job.

I'm down for baseball always, but I'll definitely be going to 2-3 of the National's 4-game stand against the cubs August 19-22. If any of y'all wanna come, you're more than welcome. I can give you keen insight into how each and every one of the Nationals' players is underperforming in his own special way.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 pm

I'll be down to go to Cubs games, but I'd be even more down to go to I.O. half a block away from Wrigley Field if anyone wants to join me there.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Hey so this is a good time to check in here. I would love to go to a Cubs game/chill and watch baseball.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Kikero wrote:The fieldhouse is just basketball courts, bathrooms, and storage. I think there is a really small classroom in there for teaching first aid or something, but there aren't any weights or anything like that.

dstars also brought the soccer thing to my attention, so here's what I sent him (or her) about the program:
Kikero wrote:So the IM soccer at NU is actually indoor soccer, basically futsal. We play on an indoor basketball court that is right across the street from school. The park there also has two baseball fields that are almost never in use, and just some general open space, so it's real easy to go out there before your game and get warmed up just kicking the ball around.

When the Fall semester starts, the league admin will send out an email to the whole school asking if anyone wants to register to play. You form your own teams and just send him the list. There is a small fee, but I can't remember how much it is. Teams can be any size, but since you play 4 at a time (including GK) you probably want at least 6 and not more than 12ish. There are two leagues, competitive and casual. In practice, a lot of teams play in both just to get more playing time. The differences are 1) that casual requires you to have at least 1 girl on the field at all times, and girls' goals count for 2 instead of 1 if your team has more women on the field than the other team; and 2) that in competitive you play out of bounds whereas in casual you can play the ball off the walls. Both leagues are open to the entire university, but in practice it's mostly Law and Medicine (because the games are played downtown), with a few other assorted teams (there were physical therapy and engineering teams last year).

If you have any more questions, let me know.
do many girls play or is it mainly guys?

and i'd also love to join for a Cubs game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Bloomsie wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
MDeeGee wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Has anyone been able to sign up for health insurance through Caesar? I feel like the e-mails indicated it would be possible to do so this month but either it's not working or I'm a dumb. I called and left a message with the insurance people but i figured I'd check in with TLS too.
I called and asked about this about a week ago and was told that we'd be able to sign up after August 1.
Thanks. That sucks that i'm done with my job on July 29th though. Was hoping for something seamless/painless w/r/t my insurance but i guess this last week will be fun navigating the wonderful world of healthcare.
dstars823 wrote:anyone here down for going to the Cubs game on Sep 1 or 2? we will be done with orientation and i think a baseball game would be a good way to relax before school.

also baseball games are a great reason to drink for 3 hours during the middle of the day
This is relevant to my interests.
My HR manager suggested just holding onto the COBRA paperwork, and if something comes up, you can register for COBRA retroactive to when you left your job. So its like an $800 fee, but its a lot less than the emergency hospital bill. Otherwise, take care of everything non-emergency before you leave your job.

I'm down for baseball always, but I'll definitely be going to 2-3 of the National's 4-game stand against the cubs August 19-22. If any of y'all wanna come, you're more than welcome. I can give you keen insight into how each and every one of the Nationals' players is underperforming in his own special way.
Probly also down for some nats. I just watched Haren and storen fuck it up pretty bad tonight. Thanks for the cobra protip.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:34 pm

we should totally do this cubs game, so do more people wanna see the cubs win (marlins) or wanna see a legitimate team (phillies)?

i think itd be pretty easy to coordinate since we're all gonna have to be at orientation and we can all awkwardly ask each other if we're these TLS handles

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 pm

simplycatalina wrote:
Kikero wrote:IM Soccer
do many girls play or is it mainly guys?

and i'd also love to join for a Cubs game.
Lots of girls play. The competitive league is probably 80-20 or 75-25 guys to girls, but the casual league is probably 55-45 or 60-40.

GimbleGyre

New

Post by GimbleGyre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I'll be down to go to Cubs games, but I'd be even more down to go to I.O. half a block away from Wrigley Field if anyone wants to join me there.
I'm absolutely interested in checking out iO. At the very least I'm hoping to make it out to a couple of TJ and Dave shows before the semester starts up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 am

GimbleGyre wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I'll be down to go to Cubs games, but I'd be even more down to go to I.O. half a block away from Wrigley Field if anyone wants to join me there.
I'm absolutely interested in checking out iO. At the very least I'm hoping to make it out to a couple of TJ and Dave shows before the semester starts up.
What about second city? Isn't that supposedly the big improv powerhouse in chicago?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 am

dstars823 wrote:we should totally do this cubs game, so do more people wanna see the cubs win (marlins) or wanna see a legitimate team (phillies)?

i think itd be pretty easy to coordinate since we're all gonna have to be at orientation and we can all awkwardly ask each other if we're these TLS handles
I think I'm going to have some friends coming in from out of town for labor day weekend, but if not I'm in

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 am

Cobretti wrote:
GimbleGyre wrote:
What about second city? Isn't that supposedly the big improv powerhouse in chicago?
Cobretti: Not to be an improv snob, but lulz.

Gimble:I already have plan to see them the 21st, you and everyone else here can come too!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
GimbleGyre wrote:
Cobretti: Not to be an improv snob, but lulz.

Gimble:I already have plan to see them the 21st, you and everyone else here can come too!
Really bro??

In other news: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/ne ... cfm?ID=628
...So we're all getting full rides now right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 pm

should we go back to the negotiating table now, its not like they can tell us there are no funds available

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm

dstars823 wrote:should we go back to the negotiating table now, its not like they can tell us there are no funds available
Honestly, looking at the WL schollies I think they knew this was coming for at least the last month and we've already seen the benefits of it.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

So almost all if not all of those people came from IO first, also Second City is where comedians go to write sketch and get on SNL and do improv as a by-product. IO is where improvisers go to improvise.
I also think Second City has funny shows, but it's not the same.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say "all or almost all" because that list is extremely long, but most of the "big ones" for sure.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 pm

n other news: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/ne ... cfm?ID=628
...So we're all getting full rides now right?[/quote]

I hope they have 150k waiting for me next year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Cobretti wrote:
dstars823 wrote:should we go back to the negotiating table now, its not like they can tell us there are no funds available
Honestly, looking at the WL schollies I think they knew this was coming for at least the last month and we've already seen the benefits of it.
maybe it's worth a shot anyway?

Magnalum

New

Post by Magnalum » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moneyball026

Bronze

Post by moneyball026 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Yeah so about that fantasy league....Let's get that going.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 pm

moneyball026 wrote:Yeah so about that fantasy league....Let's get that going.
Everyone in the league PM me your nlaw email address and I'll share the google page with you (ETA: which cookiejar was nice enough to make)

Magnalum
PBateman1
MicDiddy
Cookiejar1
thefuturenow
moneyball026
feralinfant
kwroche
cobretti
bloomsie
bananasplit19
dstars823