Northwestern Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
CalAlumni

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Post by CalAlumni » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Magnalum wrote:Seems like a lot of people are looking at the air. Would the MacBook Pro be worth the extra cost?
I hate MacBook Airs...I got one when I was at Cal and the fan would race and start to over-heat and slow down a lot...much more so than the MacBook Pro I currently own.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:39 pm

KremeCheez wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
dstars823 wrote:ive got like a brand new PC... am i the only one?
For the record, I run Windows 7 on my Air.
Never quite understood that...
Got it before there were ultra thin pc equivalents

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Both MPN's signed, official transcripts on their way and every booster I needed I have gotten EXCEPT Tdap which any Safeway or CVS pharmacy will do for $60 (no appointment needed guys, go get this done!).
And to add to previous discussion, I think I am going with the Ultrabook recommended that flips into a tablet. It has an SSD card so it boots/sleeps like a MAC and is safe to haul around all day. Decent battery life and I'm a sucker for the gimmick, considering I have wanted a tablet FOREVERS and still have yet to get one :(

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Both MPN's signed, official transcripts on their way and every booster I needed I have gotten EXCEPT Tdap which any Safeway or CVS pharmacy will do for $60 (no appointment needed guys, go get this done!).
And to add to previous discussion, I think I am going with the Ultrabook recommended that flips into a tablet. It has an SSD card so it boots/sleeps like a MAC and is safe to haul around all day. Decent battery life and I'm a sucker for the gimmick, considering I have wanted a tablet FOREVERS and still have yet to get one :(
You're so on top of it--I need to get on all of that paperwork fun ASAP.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 pm

I'm still using my Macbook from 2010 (one of the white ones) and I'm going to stick with it, at least at first. I also worry about it blowing up on me but I back it up regularly and make good use of my Google Drive so I wouldn't totally freak out if it happened.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Damn, guys. How quickly do you guys go through your computers? I'm planning on sticking with my 2010 MBP and I have virtually no worries about my computer failing me. Unless, of course, I drop it down a flight of stairs or accidentally chuck it into Lake Michigan...

My Core 2 Duo processer feels incredibly fast and speedy when mindlessly browsing Facebook.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Damn, guys. How quickly do you guys go through your computers? I'm planning on sticking with my 2010 MBP and I have virtually no worries about my computer failing me. Unless, of course, I drop it down a flight of stairs or accidentally chuck it into Lake Michigan...

My Core 2 Duo processer feels incredibly fast and speedy when mindlessly browsing Facebook.
My engineering friends replace their computers every 18 months, tops. Me, I'm still rocking my 2008 HP laptop, although it's getting pretty sluggish from sustained browsing of sketchy adult websites important work-related activities, hence my desire to upgrade before starting school.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 pm

For the loan counseling we select FFEL Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and Direct Plus Loan right?
They also have an option called 'Direct Unsubsidized Loan" but it's missing the word "Stafford."
NU calls it "Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan" so it sounds like a mixture of both.
I am pretty sure Direct Plus Loan is "Federal Graduate PLUS Loan" but I'm not even 100% sure on that one.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Micdiddy wrote:For the loan counseling we select FFEL Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and Direct Plus Loan right?
They also have an option called 'Direct Unsubsidized Loan" but it's missing the word "Stafford."
NU calls it "Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan" so it sounds like a mixture of both.
I am pretty sure Direct Plus Loan is "Federal Graduate PLUS Loan" but I'm not even 100% sure on that one.
Not FFEL, I think that's a program that got eliminated in 2008. At least according to wiki. Do the other 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:For the loan counseling we select FFEL Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and Direct Plus Loan right?
Not FFEL, I think that's a program that got eliminated in 2008. At least according to wiki. Do the other 2.
Thanks! You're right. I just noticed later in the entrance counseling they specifically say FFEL has been canceled. Yet they still let one choose it as an option :?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Wow, Entrance Counseling suggests I should make 209,000 a year to repay my loans. Yeah, that'd be nice. I hate to say it but I wonder what they "suggest" for people paying sticker :(

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Wow, Entrance Counseling suggests I should make 209,000 a year to repay my loans. Yeah, that'd be nice. I hate to say it but I wonder what they "suggest" for people paying sticker :(
Interesting way to say you have a scholarship, bro.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Wow, Entrance Counseling suggests I should make 209,000 a year to repay my loans. Yeah, that'd be nice. I hate to say it but I wonder what they "suggest" for people paying sticker :(
Sickest humblebrag ever right?
Am I the only one doing this Entrance Counseling thing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Did you already get your loan award email? I have no idea what you're talking about.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Did you already get your loan award email? I have no idea what you're talking about.
+1
Fill us in here por favor.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 pm

lulz. it is looking like my job wants me to move to DC in a matter of days instead of winding down my days in Boston. Which means ill drive there, work four weeks, drive to chicago, fly back to boston and get my stuff out of storage and drive a truck back to Chicago.

this gunna be good. FML.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm

No i havent got the official notice yet, It was part of the pre-matric guide emailed to us. The same thing that linked to all the booster shots we need, etc.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 pm

feralinfant wrote:lulz. it is looking like my job wants me to move to DC in a matter of days instead of winding down my days in Boston. Which means ill drive there, work four weeks, drive to chicago, fly back to boston and get my stuff out of storage and drive a truck back to Chicago.

this gunna be good. FML.
Lol that sucks dude

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:50 pm

the stat they use is that no one should spend more than 8% of gross income on their student loans per month.... yeah not realistic

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:50 pm

feralinfant wrote:lulz. it is looking like my job wants me to move to DC in a matter of days instead of winding down my days in Boston. Which means ill drive there, work four weeks, drive to chicago, fly back to boston and get my stuff out of storage and drive a truck back to Chicago.

this gunna be good. FML.
Brutal. Is there any way to cut out one of the legs of the trip? Say, go Boston -> DC -> Boston -> Chicago? :?

Worst case scenario, maybe if you draw lines on a map of your back-and-forths, it'll create some Freemason symbol or something. /danbrown

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 pm

dstars823 wrote:the stat they use is that no one should spend more than 8% of gross income on their student loans per month.... yeah not realistic
Haha! I just got done with those docs and thought the exact same thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:47 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:

this gunna be good. FML.
Brutal. Is there any way to cut out one of the legs of the trip? Say, go Boston -> DC -> Boston -> Chicago? :?

Worst case scenario, maybe if you draw lines on a map of your back-and-forths, it'll create some Freemason symbol or something. /danbrown
there is a way to do that but it perversely makes more sense to do the extra leg as I can drop the cats off in chicago, and don't have to tow a car behind the moving truck. My plan is to tell work they need to pay for every leg except the boston -chicago one. Otherwise I'm probably about to quit my job.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 am

feralinfant wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

this gunna be good. FML.

there is a way to do that but it perversely makes more sense to do the extra leg as I can drop the cats off in chicago, and don't have to tow a car behind the moving truck. My plan is to tell work they need to pay for every leg except the boston -chicago one. Otherwise I'm probably about to quit my job.
Definitely the right move.

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 am

Flips88 wrote:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/micdiddy

I think McDiddy might be McDiddy...

ETA: Sorry if I totally just outed you, bro.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 am

To be clear, we only need to submit a transcript from our degree granting institution right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”