Northwestern Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
kwroche

New

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Post by kwroche » Mon May 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Bloomsie wrote:Not to change the subject, but my girlfriend and I had an appointment to meet a rep from Student Space this Thursday morning, and after we emailed him today to confirm time/place he said that he'd switched companies to Luxury Living Chicago. Has anyone had this experience? It feels sketchy, and his new company doesn't have anything in our price range, even though our rep already knows our price range. Anyone have any input or any comparable experience? I'm certainly not committed to working with Student Space, but they were recommended by the Law School, and that's pretty much all I had to go on. Thoughts?
I use to be an apartment broker in Chicago, and will attest to the fact that these companies can be a pain in the ass to work with. I would recommend using the following websites to find apartments in Chicago, and handling the process yourself. If you have any questions about neighborhoods, pricing, or anything else, you can reach out to me.

Domu.com
padmapper.com

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Actually my material kills for the Bay Area crowd...

"So a Hastings law grad, Davis grad and USF grad were in a room. The unemployment office."
Not bad, but you're no Alan Shemper
My Michael Richards finale is to pick a black guy in the audience and shout "HE'S A URM!"

Bloomsie

New

Post by Bloomsie » Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 pm

kwroche wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:Not to change the subject, but my girlfriend and I had an appointment to meet a rep from Student Space this Thursday morning, and after we emailed him today to confirm time/place he said that he'd switched companies to Luxury Living Chicago. Has anyone had this experience? It feels sketchy, and his new company doesn't have anything in our price range, even though our rep already knows our price range. Anyone have any input or any comparable experience? I'm certainly not committed to working with Student Space, but they were recommended by the Law School, and that's pretty much all I had to go on. Thoughts?
I use to be an apartment broker in Chicago, and will attest to the fact that these companies can be a pain in the ass to work with. I would recommend using the following websites to find apartments in Chicago, and handling the process yourself. If you have any questions about neighborhoods, pricing, or anything else, you can reach out to me.

Domu.com
padmapper.com

I've been using padmapper and craigslist as well, but I'm trying to find a place from DC, and its not totally clear when I'll be moving (depends on job interviews/offers), so having someone on the ground who knew about our issues seemed especially helpful. Would you specifically not use a broker, or do you just think its less likely to be fruitful than searching on our own?

kwroche

New

Post by kwroche » Mon May 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Bloomsie wrote:
kwroche wrote:

Domu.com
padmapper.com

I've been using padmapper and craigslist as well, but I'm trying to find a place from DC, and its not totally clear when I'll be moving (depends on job interviews/offers), so having someone on the ground who knew about our issues seemed especially helpful. Would you specifically not use a broker, or do you just think its less likely to be fruitful than searching on our own?
I would say that with a little bit of extra work on your end, you can find better housing options through either Domu.com or Padmapper. Below are a few bullet points with advice.

-Be prepared to submit a credit application and deposit as soon as you like an apartment. Chicago rental real estate is in high demand, especially in the areas most NU students will be looking. I've seen apartments that have been listed for less than 12 hours have more than 2 offers.
-If you want to save a bit of money, lease from an individual owner, not a property management company. Units/buildings that are managed by a property management company tend to be on the higher end price range rise. If you are looking to live in Streeterville, I would personally recommend looking at 211 E Ohio as one of the best values in the area.
-If you want information on other communities outside of Streeterville, let me know. I literally started a company doing this stuff for two years, so I know pretty much all their is to know about the Chicago rental market.

Save_Ferris

New

Post by Save_Ferris » Mon May 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Can I get in on the fantasy football league?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Save_Ferris wrote:Can I get in on the fantasy football league?
That puts us at 11/12

One more spot up for grabs

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 am

Must be said that even though I couldn't care less about the NBA (or basketball in general) every time I watch a game from the beginning to the very end the team I choose to root for always wins. This is a science. Proof: I watched the Bulls play today.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Must be said that even though I couldn't care less about the NBA (or basketball in general) every time I watch a game from the beginning to the very end the team I choose to root for always wins. This is a science. Proof: I watched the Bulls play today.
Mind rooting for the Warriors and Grizzlies then? :)

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue May 07, 2013 5:21 am

Cobretti wrote:
That puts us at 11/12

Howie and Frank can team up and take the spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 am

Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
That puts us at 11/12

Howie and Frank can team up and take the spot.
As long as Howie is good for the 50, Frank is broke

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 pm

M458 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Must be said that even though I couldn't care less about the NBA (or basketball in general) every time I watch a game from the beginning to the very end the team I choose to root for always wins. This is a science. Proof: I watched the Bulls play today.
Mind rooting for the Warriors and Grizzlies then? :)
How about just letting me know who you plan to root for in advance? Never to early to start putting a dent in these student loans...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 pm

UChi rejected me. Now it's 100% certain as I've either withdrawn or been rejected by every other school. GOOOOOOO WILDCATS!

Bloomsie

New

Post by Bloomsie » Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:UChi rejected me. Now it's 100% certain as I've either withdrawn or been rejected by every other school. GOOOOOOO WILDCATS!
My application updated yesterday, but still no answer. I don't believe that UChi is offering the kind of money that would make me change my mind, but seriously... it's fucking May.

Plus - we'd all rather be on the Northside, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue May 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Bloomsie wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:UChi rejected me. Now it's 100% certain as I've either withdrawn or been rejected by every other school. GOOOOOOO WILDCATS!
My application updated yesterday, but still no answer. I don't believe that UChi is offering the kind of money that would make me change my mind, but seriously... it's fucking May.

Of course we would. Views of the lake are weighted heavily in the Cooley rankings.

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Waitlisted at UChi.
Never a doubt with the way my cycle has gone.
I will be at Northwestern in the fall.
Unless Harvard pulls me off the bench...

Edit: ...and thrilled... :D

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Do we have to send NU official transcripts? Michigan required this and I just thought "oh maybe NU said this somewhere as well and i forgot."

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed May 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Do we have to send NU official transcripts? Michigan required this and I just thought "oh maybe NU said this somewhere as well and i forgot."
I haven't heard anything either. I'm in grad school though so they might not care, I'd assume they'd require final UG transcripts though

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu May 09, 2013 3:21 pm

I was browsing online and decides to take another look at the hilarious Cooley Rankings.
Is it awful that I saw nu's rankings and for a second felt proud?
Don't a answer that. Yes, yes it is awful.
I feel dirty.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I was browsing online and decides to take another look at the hilarious Cooley Rankings.
Is it awful that I saw nu's rankings and for a second felt proud?
Don't a answer that. Yes, yes it is awful.
I feel dirty.
I like how it starts off with, Harvard Number 1, Cooley Number 2. Here’s How. Its already admitting its a ridiculously stupid thing to say and they know they have to immediately defend it.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm

I can't wait to sit in all those library seats.

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 pm

My cousin asked me if I had looked at Cooley. I laughed before finding out his father in law is an admin there... :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 pm

KremeCheez wrote:My cousin asked me if I had looked at Cooley. I laughed before finding out his father in law is an admin there... :shock:
you forever shattered dat law professor prestige he had at family reunions, well done

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 am

Micdiddy wrote:I can't wait to sit in all those library seats.
Cooley's rankings not only account for quantity of library seats, but also the quality of view from said library seats. It really is a well rounded and comprehensive rankings system. No wonder NU is #6.

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Bloomsie wrote:

Of course we would. Views of the lake are weighted heavily in the Cooley rankings.
This made my day.

On the general subject, every alumni I know of UChi (undergrad, grad, and law alike) thought the academics were great but loathed the campus culture and Hyde Park as a whole. Granted, that's a sample of <20 people, but it certainly poisoned my outlook on the place. Arguably equal or better job prospects at NU anyway.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm

laotze wrote:Arguably equal or better job prospects at NU anyway.
No. UChi is most definitely better than NU (maybe close parity for Chicago biglaw, but that's about it).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”