University of Missouri

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
karich

Re: University of Missouri

Postby karich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Depends on what you're looking for. I was quite a bit older than most people so I wasn't really interested in the "college" experience so proximity to downtown wasn't a big priority for me.

Southeast of Campus
I lived here http://www.stadium-apartments.com/ for two years and I would have stayed for my last year but I got a house with some friends. From here it certainly would have been POSSIBLE to ride a bike to campus (or even walk if you have 30 minutes) but there are a few big annoying hills that you would have to ride up though. There is a bar across the street with a nice patio area but other than that you'll be driving everywhere else you want to go.

Further south on old 63, Rock Quarry, and Providence (on the other side of stadium) there are quite a few student oriented furnished apartments and some townhouses. These places typically have a shuttle that goes to and from campus for free that runs during the day at least so you wouldn't have to drive if your schedule lines up with their schedule. Not a lot of businesses in these areas though. Liquor store/gas station/sandwich place type stuff. Not a lot of nightlife if that's your thing so again, unless your schedule works with the shuttle to campus, you're driving everywhere.

North of Campus
Downtown borders the north side of campus. If nightlife is your thing then this is probably the place you want to live. I apartments in this area are pretty expensive and there aren't many of them and I've never been in any of them. Can easily walk to campus though. Lots of stuff to do. Trops is downtown sooooooo.....

North of downtown. I suppose there are places to live all the way up to business loop 70 and between providence and all the way to old 63. Cheaper than downtown and not as close to campus. Shouldn't need to drive everywhere. Biking/walking should be more than sufficient.

Giant area west/northwest of campus
I got the feeling real people lived here. Not a lot of student housing.

East Campus
East of College Ave, North of Rollins. Frats and off campus frats. very expensive, need lots of roommates because the houses tend to be very large. Property managers generally have a hands off approach to this area. Avoid unless that's your thing.

Parking
There are quite a few parking garages on campus that make life easier but they cost money. There are a lot of metered spots around too but I refuse to pay for parking.

Free Parking
East Campus. Street parking is free and a little scarce but once you learn the timing of the parking availability and how to parallel park in a spot with an inch of clearance in front of and behind your car, this is a great place. I parked here every day for 3 years.

Greek town. Actually on campus but street parking here is free. Even though most of the frats and sororities here have their own parking lots I would never count on being able to find a space here, especially when time is a factor. Parking here works better in the summer... kinda.

Those are just some of the major population areas and only ones where you could conceivably live without having a car. There are tons more places further away that are cheaper/nicer but they will be less concentrated. I knew of a handful of grad students and professors that actually lived in Jefferson City (35-45 minutes away no traffic).

miz

Postby miz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm

A lot of good information, thanks.

miz

Postby miz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 pm

facebook page created for admitted students

miz

Postby miz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

looks like a very talented and diverse class, should be fun.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 pm

anyone get scholly info yet?

miz

Postby miz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm

I guess we will find something out this week? Hope they spread it around a little.

tmoney

Postby tmoney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Got an excellent offer today! 158/3.63/OOS
Definitely considering it.

miz

Postby miz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm

So has anyone else received scholarship information? Hope the bucket is not empty.

notoriousdaydreamer

Postby notoriousdaydreamer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Recently admitted...Haven't gotten packet yet, but will be visiting soon.

MizTiger

Postby MizTiger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 am

I'm in and committed to Mizzou - applied Early Decision. Heard from Michelle last week with scholarship info so that that just sweetened the deal! Also went to undergrad at Mizzou if anyone has any questions.

miz

Postby miz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 am

Suppose based on what I have heard that scholarship information and details will all be delivered this week. Today being the last day of the month leaves little time to be told the "good news". Don't know why I stressed, but it would have made it interesting.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am

I got a call last week

miz

Postby miz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 am

Assuming mine must be coming in a large bulky package due to the volume of paper currency enclosed and just taking a little longer than most. Oh well.

miz

Postby miz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 am

Still no mail. :cry:

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Anyone try to negotiate scholly? Got my letter in the mail today btw

fbmelms

Postby fbmelms » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 pm

I was accepted today, anyone have any idea if any scholarship money is still available.

fbmelms

Postby fbmelms » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Also I don't know anything about Columbia Missouri, whats it like to live there?

miz

Postby miz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 pm

you are gonna dig it

fbmelms

Postby fbmelms » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Does scholarship info come in an email or in the packet?

Pumpkin_Pie

Postby Pumpkin_Pie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:34 pm

tmoney wrote:Got an excellent offer today! 158/3.63/OOS
Definitely considering it.

Would you mind sharing what you got? Only two people have posted their scholarship info on LSN.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 pm

fbmelms wrote:Also I don't know anything about Columbia Missouri, whats it like to live there?

Hm...well it's definitely a college town.

It's not a city, by any means, though due to it hosting the flagship state school there are always things to do. There are plenty of restaurants, there's a mall, and Mizzou tends to get pretty good bands. There's also some comedy clubs/lower key performance places that bring in some pretty cool talent.

It's about 30 minutes from the state capitol, so if you want some government work that's easily accessible. It's also located about two hours from St. Louis and 2.5 hours from Kansas City. With that said, there are no major sports teams anywhere close. You're going to be surrounded by farm land and nothingness. It's a very livable place, but if you're looking for the excitement of a city you won't find it here.

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
fbmelms wrote:Also I don't know anything about Columbia Missouri, whats it like to live there?

Hm...well it's definitely a college town.

It's not a city, by any means, though due to it hosting the flagship state school there are always things to do. There are plenty of restaurants, there's a mall, and Mizzou tends to get pretty good bands. There's also some comedy clubs/lower key performance places that bring in some pretty cool talent.

It's about 30 minutes from the state capitol, so if you want some government work that's easily accessible. It's also located about two hours from St. Louis and 2.5 hours from Kansas City. With that said, there are no major sports teams anywhere close. You're going to be surrounded by farm land and nothingness. It's a very livable place, but if you're looking for the excitement of a city you won't find it here.

Do you go to Mizzou for law school?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:29 am

lakerinstl wrote:
Do you go to Mizzou for law school?

Grew up in CoMo

miz

Postby miz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm

what is the best pizza in como?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 am

miz wrote:what is the best pizza in como?

Shakespeare's obvs.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”