University of Missouri

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
miz

University of Missouri

Postby miz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:33 pm

who is going to Misssouri? :D

miz

Re: University of Missouri

Postby miz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Cmon guys, a little Miz-Zou chatter would be good. Anyone admitted for next fall? Know of any new student meetings in the future?

miz

Postby miz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Admitted. Cant wait. Would love to chat with others heading to MU.

juicyj

Postby juicyj » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Already there, but good choice.

miz

Postby miz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Finally, a reply. Thanks. Thought Mizzou needed to be represented.

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm a 1L here at Mizzou. If you have any questions I may be able to answer some of them.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Recently admitted. I'm out of state though so I'd have to get a decent scholly to come. Lakerinstl do you have any idea what the job prospects are like?

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 pm

cooldude87 wrote:Recently admitted. I'm out of state though so I'd have to get a decent scholly to come. Lakerinstl do you have any idea what the job prospects are like?

Job prospects are decent, which I guess is better than horrible like some people at other schools will say. I can't say for sure how it is, or will be, since I'm still a 1L. My roommate is a 3L who already has a job lined up with Lathrop & Gage, which is one of the bigger firms in Kansas City. But I know quite a few 3Ls who are still looking as well. The best thing I can say that Mizzou is doing to deal with the lower number of available jobs is by decreasing the number of incoming first year students. Our incoming class is the smallest in a long time. Your career prospects will definitely be better if you're looking at working in Missouri. I'll have a better feel of the job market for Mizzou grads after OCI's next month.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Also, I saw on the website that 83% of the incoming class were Missouri citizens, do you think oos students are gonna face a disadvantage or would going to Mizzou be enough to establish ties, in terms of finding a good job

miz

Postby miz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

I am curious how much earlier than the start of the semester I will need to be in town. Are there introductory things to attend prior to the start of classes?

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm

cooldude87 wrote:Thanks for the info. Also, I saw on the website that 83% of the incoming class were Missouri citizens, do you think oos students are gonna face a disadvantage or would going to Mizzou be enough to establish ties, in terms of finding a good job

The general idea among many St. Louis firms is that they would like you to have some kind of ties to the area for them to really feel good about hiring you. This is because they don't want to hire someone who may leave in a couple of years for a bigger/hiring paying firm in Chicago or other cities. This is more of an issue with Wash U. grads than Mizzou grads because the Wash U. students are less likely to want to stay in St. Louis since most are not from the area nor the state of Missouri. I wouldn't say that there is such a huge disadvantage from non Missouri residents, but it will take a little more work to convince employers that you truly intend to stay within the state/metro area for the foreseeable future.

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm

miz wrote:I am curious how much earlier than the start of the semester I will need to be in town. Are there introductory things to attend prior to the start of classes?

Yeah there will be a few days of orientation the week before classes start. This year ours was, I believe, 3 or 4 days. It's pretty repetitive and boring after a while, and people will get tired of it by the end, but it's still a necessity. They go over the basics of what to expect during law school, had a luncheon with a bunch of alumni, and some other things.

miz

Postby miz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:13 am

What about housing? Is it easy to find something close to walk from, or is it better to live off campus.

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

miz wrote:What about housing? Is it easy to find something close to walk from, or is it better to live off campus.

Most graduate students live off campus, I do. I really didn't do too much of a search because I found my roommate (a 3L here) while on a visit to the school last year. Just kind of happened. If you want to live within walking distance of the school I'd look at some downtown apartments, although some of those are a little more pricey.

miz

Postby miz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:49 am

Has there been an advantage to living with a law student? Have you been able to ask questions that have helped you along? Insight? Have there been any drawbacks?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 pm

miz wrote:Has there been an advantage to living with a law student? Have you been able to ask questions that have helped you along? Insight? Have there been any drawbacks?

I'm going to jump in here. The big advantage to living with another law student is that they know what you're going through and can often be helpful when you are working on something (at least, if you're in an entering class that is the same or lower than yours - I live with someone in my class). A disadvantage is that law students can be crazy as hell, so there's that.

As far as job prospects, while most of the school is from Missouri, we do have several out-of-state students who have gone back home (CA, TX, etc.) and found good jobs. If you want to stay in Missouri, get to know people. MU Law grads really enjoy talking to current students; those who have graduated recently enough to have had some of the same professors as you tend to be really willing to chat you up.

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:08 pm

miz wrote:Has there been an advantage to living with a law student? Have you been able to ask questions that have helped you along? Insight? Have there been any drawbacks?

Best advantage for me is that my roommate is a 3L who was really great at helping me with any pointers throughout the semester. No real drawbacks. I was at the law school most of the day and only really saw him when I got home late in the evening. This won't be the case in every scenario because every person is different, but our situation is pretty cool.

miz

Postby miz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:52 pm

I understand that there is a law school tailgate at Hulston Hall before home games. Is that true?

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:54 am

miz wrote:I understand that there is a law school tailgate at Hulston Hall before home games. Is that true?

Yeah during the football season the Student Bar Association sponsors a tailgate with food and beer. I went to all but one this past season, usually getting there kind of late.

miz

Postby miz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 pm

I think I am going to like Saturdays. Hope we get a few more victories next season. Do we get the opportunity to buy student game tickets as well? And basketball tickets as well?

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:50 pm

miz wrote:I think I am going to like Saturdays. Hope we get a few more victories next season. Do we get the opportunity to buy student game tickets as well? And basketball tickets as well?

Yeah they sell football and basketball tickets as a package. A lot of students buy the season tickets and will try to sell each game ticket individually.

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I am not going to Mizzou, but am a MO resident. They don't seem to be very generous with scholarship. 164, 3.93

miz

Postby miz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Just visited this weekend to go to a basketball game. Campus was empty and locked up but the game was great.

karich

Postby karich » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 pm

I went to Mizzou undergrad and would be happy to answer any questions about the school itself or Columbia in general.

miz

Postby miz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:28 pm

What is the best area of town to live? Does everyone drive?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”