Texas Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
shifty_eyed

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I like Austin Amber, and I almost always love St Arnold's seasonals (If Houston beers counts). I'm definitely not a beer snob/probably have bad taste, since I don't even like most IPAs. And I don't think of this as a local beer, but after a month in Nevada, I am really missing the availability and cheapness of Shiner. I love how it's the same price as Bud Light at most Texas bars. It's probably my favorite beer simply because it's the first one I liked.

I went to a bar on Friday where Bud Light draft was $9 and a shot of well whiskey was $10. Can't wait to go back to Texas!!!
Austin Amber is fine by me! I also like Fireman's 4, Pearl Snap Pils, and Thirsty Goat. I also like that Shiner is one of the cheaper options. Their various other beers are surprisingly good.

For those from out of state, Lone Star is 'the national beer of Texas' and it's basically PBR with less hipster cred. Fantastic 'well I guess I'm getting hammered tonight' beer.
Ooh, I forgot about Thirsty Goat! Also one of my faves. And I agree, Lone star is definitely the PBR of Texas.

Do we know if there will be beer at the July 26 shindig?

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I like Austin Amber, and I almost always love St Arnold's seasonals (If Houston beers counts). I'm definitely not a beer snob/probably have bad taste, since I don't even like most IPAs. And I don't think of this as a local beer, but after a month in Nevada, I am really missing the availability and cheapness of Shiner. I love how it's the same price as Bud Light at most Texas bars. It's probably my favorite beer simply because it's the first one I liked.

I went to a bar on Friday where Bud Light draft was $9 and a shot of well whiskey was $10. Can't wait to go back to Texas!!!
Austin Amber is fine by me! I also like Fireman's 4, Pearl Snap Pils, and Thirsty Goat. I also like that Shiner is one of the cheaper options. Their various other beers are surprisingly good.

For those from out of state, Lone Star is 'the national beer of Texas' and it's basically PBR with less hipster cred. Fantastic 'well I guess I'm getting hammered tonight' beer.
Ooh, I forgot about Thirsty Goat! Also one of my faves. And I agree, Lone star is definitely the PBR of Texas.

Do we know if there will be beer at the July 26 shindig?
There had better be; I wanna weed out the shitty drunks as soon as possible.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Odds on non-Tex-Mex food?

thatdude222

New

Post by thatdude222 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Awwww snap... someone brought up local beer. I've got to contribute.

I'm from Austin, and after spending 9 years away, will be returning back home to join the Class of 2016 at UT Law. I'll pick up where you left off, shifty.

As for local beers: Real Ale, (512) Brewery, Independence, and Austin Beerworks are favorite local brews that you can find on tap at a lot of places. Other Texas beers that are pretty accessible are St. Arnold's and Shiner. If you're not from Texas, you need to get a cold Shiner when you first get in town. And if you're broke, there's always Lone Star... the Texas version of PBR, easily found for $2 ($1 on special) at even your crappiest bar.

Some solid local brews:
Real Ale Firemans #4
(512) Pecan Porter
(512) IPA
Live Oak Hefe
Real Ale Brown Ale
Live Oak Big Bark Amber Lager
Independence Bootlegger Brown Ale
Independence Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout

thatdude222

New

Post by thatdude222 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

romanticegotist wrote: For those from out of state, Lone Star is 'the national beer of Texas' and it's basically PBR with less hipster cred. Fantastic 'well I guess I'm getting hammered tonight' beer.
That's real...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Also, for those who prefer hard liquor, this is a good part of the country to be in. There are a ton of local distilleries making whiskey, vodka, tequila, you name it.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:46 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Also, for those who prefer hard liquor, this is a good part of the country to be in. There are a ton of local distilleries making whiskey, vodka, tequila, you name it.
It seems like everyone is shitting themselves over Tito's these days.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:Also, for those who prefer hard liquor, this is a good part of the country to be in. There are a ton of local distilleries making whiskey, vodka, tequila, you name it.
Tito's is pretty good. Deep Eddy is also popular and I love Starlite but it's not widely available.

Point is, people here love drinking.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Tito's is pretty good. Deep Eddy is also popular and I love Starlite but it's not widely available.

Point is, people here love drinking.
I like Tito's, but I'm surprised at how widely popular it is. I know Toronto-ans who go crazy for her it, it's very popular in Vegas, and I saw it in a lot of cocktails when I was in San Diego! I like Deep Eddy too, but I haven't had Starlite. I will keep an eye out for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Wait, different vodkas taste differently? Is this like an actual verifiable fact?

Shiner is pretty bad ass for cheap beer. I have lived in Texas for a couple years and only had Lonestar once. Looks like that needs to change. I might get flak for this but I've never had a St. Arnold's that I like. And I'm with you shifty, IPAs are gross (and I love beer).

Gonna have to hit up all these beer/booze suggestions, thanks guys!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:Wait, different vodkas taste differently? Is this like an actual verifiable fact?
Have some skol vodka and get back to me

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:Wait, different vodkas taste differently? Is this like an actual verifiable fact?

Shiner is pretty bad ass for cheap beer. I have lived in Texas for a couple years and only had Lonestar once. Looks like that needs to change. I might get flak for this but I've never had a St. Arnold's that I like. And I'm with you shifty, IPAs are gross (and I love beer).

I am shocked by this. I love almost everything St. Arnold's I've tried. Their Christmas ale and Oktoberfest were especially awesome.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:

I am shocked by this. I love almost everything St. Arnold's I've tried. Their Christmas ale and Oktoberfest were especially awesome.
Full disclosure- never had those seasonal beers. I have had the regular beer, Santo, Lawnmower, Weedwhacker, whatever their current summer ale is. Not a fan, I don't know what it is, I love beer. Their brewery is really cool though, hanging out and playing games and eating pretzels is always good times. And don't get me wrong, I'll still happily drink the beer. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Lawnmower is the nut...forgot that was one of theirs.

And yeah, different vodkas taste very different.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Have some skol vodka and get back to me

thatdude222

New

Post by thatdude222 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Tex Mex: Chuy's (classic Austin Tex Mex), El Rancho, Juan in a Million, Maudies, Torchy's, Taqueria Arandas, La Tapatia

Authentic Mexican food is a whole different story...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 am

thatdude222 wrote:Tex Mex: Chuy's (classic Austin Tex Mex), El Rancho, Juan in a Million, Maudies, Torchy's, Taqueria Arandas, La Tapatia

Taco joint > Torchy's IMO

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chuy's, didn't realize it was Austin-based.

Also Trudy's

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:51 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
thatdude222 wrote:Tex Mex: Chuy's (classic Austin Tex Mex), El Rancho, Juan in a Million, Maudies, Torchy's, Taqueria Arandas, La Tapatia

Taco joint > Torchy's IMO

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chuy's, didn't realize it was Austin-based.

Also Trudy's
I don't do Trudy's because they apparently treat their staff like shit, but its good. I prefer Tacodeli for tacos but Torchys is kind of the go-to

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Trudy's mexican martini for the win!

I also really like Matt's El Rancho

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Locked up where I'll be living in the fall. Pretty excellent location. Just off S. Lamar behind the currently-under-construction Drafthouse.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:14 am

After the heat and humidity this weekend I'm starting to wonder whether turning down Minnesota was a death wish.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 am

Texas summers are the worst

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 am

This will be the first time at any level of school where I don't have to organize my getting-to-class plans around heavy snow.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Has everyone here locked up living arrangements? Where at?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Yeah I've got a studio on 31st and Duval. Super close walk to the law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”