Texas Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
shifty_eyed

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks for posting, emkay! I remember PMing with you about UT last year, and you are even more helpful now :)

When did you apply for and get your summer jobs? I thought people generally targeted judicial internships OR 1L SAs. How hard was it to apply and interview for both?

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:12 pm

emkay, thanks for doing this.

Did you work on-campus or off-campus?

How'd you manage to kill 1L (assuming this since you got a 1L SA)?

Any other academic / job-related tips or suggestions...

thanks again

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm bored and have lived in Austin in a non-student context for two years...anyone have questions about the city that have nothing to do with school?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 pm

romanticegotist wrote:I'm bored and have lived in Austin in a non-student context for two years...anyone have questions about the city that have nothing to do with school?

Best bar?

Best restaurant?

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Best bar is a tough one because we have so many different kinds. I like

- The Jackalope
- Tigress Pub
- Black Sheep Lodge
- Violet Crown Social Club

Best restaurant is even more difficult. It's possible that Austin is the best city for food in the entire country (fight me, NYC bros) so there are few if any truly 'bad' places to eat. some gems:

- East Side King
- Shabu
- Mushashino
- Via 313 (food truck)
- Trio
- Trace (at the W)
- Lucky J's Chicken and Waffles

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Rate the overall niceness of the population and then compare it to other cities you have lived in.

Do the same for hotness.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:Rate the overall niceness of the population and then compare it to other cities you have lived in.

Do the same for hotness.

I would say people are nicer here. The quality of life and standard of living is high and the city is very pretty and outdoor-oriented, which I think really creates a more genial atmosphere than other places I've lived. It's very easy to meet new people and have pleasant and fulfilling conversation. there are also a lot of people who are crazy as hell.

Every one here is good-looking, especially near campus. Both men and women. So many people are fit and tan and outgoing that I feel like a bridge troll basically constantly.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Also, people will want to take a weekend trip to visit San Antonio. Don't go with them, it's a trap.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Also, people will want to take a weekend trip to visit San Antonio. Don't go with them, it's a trap.

Go on...

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:37 pm

It's boring and smells bad and there are hooligans everywhere. Trust me, just stay in Austin.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:54 pm

romanticegotist wrote:It's boring and smells bad and there are hooligans everywhere. Trust me, just stay in Austin.

I love San Antonio! It's the perfect weekend trip IMO. Lots of history, good cheap Mexican food, and affordable hotels.

The Riverwalk can smell bad at times.

mg7

Postby mg7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm

I've been to San Antonio once, and that was good enough for me. I do think it's worth it to go at least once to see the (underwhelming) Alamo.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:15 pm

mg7 wrote:I've been to San Antonio once, and that was good enough for me. I do think it's worth it to go at least once to see the (underwhelming) Alamo.

+1

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm

See?! A trap.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:08 am

romanticegotist wrote:I'm bored and have lived in Austin in a non-student context for two years...anyone have questions about the city that have nothing to do with school?

Would you say there are a lot of good bars and restaurants in the Hyde Park/North Campus area?

Would you say there are bars most frequently attended by UT law students or does everyone spread out?

Thanks for doing this.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 am

timeandspace11 wrote:

Would you say there are a lot of good bars and restaurants in the Hyde Park/North Campus area?

Would you say there are bars most frequently attended by UT law students or does everyone spread out?

Thanks for doing this.

Remember when I typed 'that have nothing to do with school?' I can't answer that question in a satisfactory way. I would say that Hyde Park/North Campus is not the center of Austin nightlife but there are some fun bars there (I really enjoy Spider House). From what I can gather, UT students who do go out to bars (this is gonna be more undergraduates than anything) will go to 6th street, or hang out in West Campus (we probably won't have much to do with that part of campus), or something. Since my experiences are biased towards non-students I would say that it appears that everyone kind of spreads out unless you are in a frat or like have a set rotation of bars that your social circle attends.

Edit: Austin is a big enough city that it's hard to think about what the students do on any given night; they are a small minority of the people out on a weekend.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 am

romanticegotist wrote:It's boring and smells bad and there are hooligans everywhere. Trust me, just stay in Austin.

+1000 San Antonio is the armpit of Texas.

Favorite live music venue? I loved Emo's downtown in undergrad RIP

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:

Hmmm...I actually don't really go to enough concerts to say. Austin is the 'live music capital' but nobody said anything about any of that music being good. The next shitty singer/songwriter or dad-rock band I see I'm going to hit them with a molotov cocktail. I suppose that Stubb's is cool, but usually I attend concerts at smaller venues that friends are playing in, etc.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 am

romanticegotist wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:

Hmmm...I actually don't really go to enough concerts to say. Austin is the 'live music capital' but nobody said anything about any of that music being good. The next shitty singer/songwriter or dad-rock band I see I'm going to hit them with a molotov cocktail. I suppose that Stubb's is cool, but usually I attend concerts at smaller venues that friends are playing in, etc.

Yeah Stubbs has a pretty cool and unique atmosphere. I hear the new amphitheater out at the F1 track is legit

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:32 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:

Thanks for doing this.

Crown and Anchor and Posse are popular with law school students. They only serve beer, no hard liquor. I prefer Crown because it has darts and a good selection of local beers with decent prices.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:42 pm

I would also recommend bingo halls because beers are like $1 and you can smoke in them. But I'm a scumbag.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:46 pm

romanticegotist wrote:I would also recommend bingo halls because beers are like $1 and you can smoke in them. But I'm a scumbag.

:)

Difference between scumbag and hooligan?

Shifty- Best local beer?

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:I would also recommend bingo halls because beers are like $1 and you can smoke in them. But I'm a scumbag.

:)

Difference between scumbag and hooligan?

Shifty- Best local beer?

Hooligans are more likely to vandalize?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

I like Austin Amber, and I almost always love St Arnold's seasonals (If Houston beers counts). I'm definitely not a beer snob/probably have bad taste, since I don't even like most IPAs. And I don't think of this as a local beer, but after a month in Nevada, I am really missing the availability and cheapness of Shiner. I love how it's the same price as Bud Light at most Texas bars. It's probably my favorite beer simply because it's the first one I liked.

I went to a bar on Friday where Bud Light draft was $9 and a shot of well whiskey was $10. Can't wait to go back to Texas!!!

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I like Austin Amber, and I almost always love St Arnold's seasonals (If Houston beers counts). I'm definitely not a beer snob/probably have bad taste, since I don't even like most IPAs. And I don't think of this as a local beer, but after a month in Nevada, I am really missing the availability and cheapness of Shiner. I love how it's the same price as Bud Light at most Texas bars. It's probably my favorite beer simply because it's the first one I liked.

I went to a bar on Friday where Bud Light draft was $9 and a shot of well whiskey was $10. Can't wait to go back to Texas!!!

Austin Amber is fine by me! I also like Fireman's 4, Pearl Snap Pils, and Thirsty Goat. I also like that Shiner is one of the cheaper options. Their various other beers are surprisingly good.

For those from out of state, Lone Star is 'the national beer of Texas' and it's basically PBR with less hipster cred. Fantastic 'well I guess I'm getting hammered tonight' beer.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”