Texas Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
romanticegotist

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm

mg7 wrote:Anybody else get a USB drive that says "Class of 2015?"

That's kind of like finding the Golden Ticket, except instead of getting swept along to a saccharine world of wonder and whimsy you have to finish law school in two years.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:14 pm

unfortuately I didnt get a class of 2015 usb drive haha But I'm loving the water bottle

North

Postby North » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Here's who is currently committed to UT:
University of Texas at Austin

• mg7 Image
    • BigZuck Image

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Shouldn't UT and Vandy be before UCLA?

North

Postby North » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Chaucer1343 wrote:Shouldn't UT and Vandy be before UCLA?

I ordered them using the 2013 USNWR rankings. The 2014 rankings are what technically apply to next cycle, but it's mostly that it's not worth the trouble to switch everything around.

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:58 am

BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?

That's gonna be borderline impossible, unless you don't mind living well away from campus or in a shitty apartment.

The real estate market near campus is waaaay overpriced.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am

Simplicity wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?

That's gonna be borderline impossible, unless you don't mind living well away from campus or in a shitty apartment.

The real estate market near campus is waaaay overpriced.

Agree. But call an apartment locator (I put a name in this thread iirc) and see what you can find. I think I have a place in a house with some non-student friends near campus for like $500/mo so deals can be found.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am

I was able to find a place for around 1,000 walking distance to the law school, but I think there's only 1 parking space allowed (not quite sure) and no washer/dryer in unit. If you're willing to budge on the washer/dryer, you might be able to find something relatively close in that price range. Granted nothing close to campus is going to really be nice-ish everything is pretty old.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:I was able to find a place for around 1,000 walking distance to the law school, but I think there's only 1 parking space allowed (not quite sure) and no washer/dryer in unit. If you're willing to budge on the washer/dryer, you might be able to find something relatively close in that price range. Granted nothing close to campus is going to really be nice-ish everything is pretty old.

Yeah I have realized that I need to open up my price range and proximity to campus. I checked out Midtown Commons that another poster recommended and I really liked it. Also the Ridge that someone else recommended. Both kind of far from school but can get there on public transportation in about 20-25 minutes. I'm good with that.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am

BigZuck wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:I was able to find a place for around 1,000 walking distance to the law school, but I think there's only 1 parking space allowed (not quite sure) and no washer/dryer in unit. If you're willing to budge on the washer/dryer, you might be able to find something relatively close in that price range. Granted nothing close to campus is going to really be nice-ish everything is pretty old.

Yeah I have realized that I need to open up my price range and proximity to campus. I checked out Midtown Commons that another poster recommended and I really liked it. Also the Ridge that someone else recommended. Both kind of far from school but can get there on public transportation in about 20-25 minutes. I'm good with that.

I feel like I need to stress to out-of-towners how horrendously awful the traffic is here around rush hour. Like I get it, you may say things like 'Dude, I'm from Chicagoland/Boston/LA/Mumbai, I know how to deal with shit traffic' but the thing is that NOBODY HERE DOES SO IT'S AWFUL. If you have to travel more than 5 miles on any of the major highways in the morning then god help you. The city has done nothing to solve this problem and will likely make it worse before they make it better.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am

romanticegotist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I feel like I need to stress to out-of-towners how horrendously awful the traffic is here around rush hour. Like I get it, you may say things like 'Dude, I'm from Chicagoland/Boston/LA/Mumbai, I know how to deal with shit traffic' but the thing is that NOBODY HERE DOES SO IT'S AWFUL. If you have to travel more than 5 miles on any of the major highways in the morning then god help you. The city has done nothing to solve this problem and will likely make it worse before they make it better.

I don't plan on ever driving to school. UT shuttles and whatnot are what I'm banking on. Is that a bad idea?

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am

BigZuck wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I don't plan on ever driving to school. UT shuttles and whatnot are what I'm banking on. Is that a bad idea?

I can't say for certain since I don't use those shuttles currently. When I did my UG at Minnesota there were shuttles and buses, but they had a tendency to not always run on time and fell victim to the same traffic problems as cars. Based on how the rest of Austin works (read: this place is its own little weird planet) I think it's reasonable to assume that things won't always work perfectly. If you don't mind the commute and can budget the correct time then it's not a problem; that just sounds kind of miserable to me.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:18 am

romanticegotist wrote:
I can't say for certain since I don't use those shuttles currently. When I did my UG at Minnesota there were shuttles and buses, but they had a tendency to not always run on time and fell victim to the same traffic problems as cars. Based on how the rest of Austin works (read: this place is its own little weird planet) I think it's reasonable to assume that things won't always work perfectly. If you don't mind the commute and can budget the correct time then it's not a problem; that just sounds kind of miserable to me.

I lived south of campus off Riverside for undergrad for a few years. I mostly avoided rush hour and drove to campus, but when I rode the bus to campus during rush hour it turned a 10-15 minute trip into more like 45 minutes.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

the bus system here is pretty good as long as you don't live too far or live in traffic-prone areas (e.g., downtown, 78704, etc). in hyde park/north campus, where it seems most people live, there's a bus that runs every 5 minutes or so from 6am till midnight and since the route is residential, there is no traffic. the train can take you farther out without dealing with traffic either.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am

f0bolous wrote:the bus system here is pretty good as long as you don't live too far or live in traffic-prone areas (e.g., downtown, 78704, etc). in hyde park/north campus, where it seems most people live, there's a bus that runs every 5 minutes or so from 6am till midnight and since the route is residential, there is no traffic. the train can take you farther out without dealing with traffic either.

Thanks for the info! I'm doing what I can to live close enough to bike or walk, since that is cheap and also will get me moving a little bit each day.

hobie2515

Postby hobie2515 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Anyone remember when this letter of intent is due?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 01, 2013 4:01 pm

hobie2515 wrote:Anyone remember when this letter of intent is due?

Has it even been sent out yet? I thought she said sometime in May?

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:
hobie2515 wrote:Anyone remember when this letter of intent is due?

Has it even been sent out yet? I thought she said sometime in May?

I don't believe its been sent yet, but its due sometime in June.

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Signed my lease and paid my rent deposit. I'll be living in Trace Condos (Crossing Place). ;D

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Chaucer1343 wrote:Signed my lease and paid my rent deposit. I'll be living in Trace Condos (Crossing Place). ;D

congrats! I remember those being pretty nice

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:06 pm

This is all actually happening! We are getting appartments and planning moves. It's going down.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 am

For those of you who are optimistic about being able to handle the traffic on the way to work; even at 2:30 on a Sunday the traffic going both ways on I-35 around campus and downtown was crawling at about 20mph.

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:56 pm

I will be using the UT Shuttle system. Does it use separate roads or lanes than regular traffic? Is it any slower or faster than driving yourself?

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I will be using the UT Shuttle system. Does it use separate roads or lanes than regular traffic? Is it any slower or faster than driving yourself?

I've got no idea. We don't have separate bus lanes on the freeways or downtown. They might use side/neighborhood streets though.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Went ahead and applied at Midtown Commons. A little but pricey ($1200 for a one bedroom) but nice, all the amenities that I wanted and right on the metrorail line. Took it on Saturday and made it downtown in 20 minutes. Maybe I'll regret living so far away. Oh well, YOLO.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”