Texas Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Chaucer1343
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby Chaucer1343 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 am

On another note, tuition breakdown:

1L (30 credit hours): $33,162
2L (28 credit hours): $31,950
3L (28 credit hours): $31,950
-----
Total Tuition: $97,062

Chaucer1343
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby Chaucer1343 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

From Dean Ingram:

"All, I've been waiting for official notification and we're getting close. I am 98% (unofficially sure) that tuition and fee rates will remain the same for the 2013-2014 year. Once I receive the 'official' notification, I will pass it on to you as well."

link

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 am

Chaucer1343 wrote:From Dean Ingram:

"All, I've been waiting for official notification and we're getting close. I am 98% (unofficially sure) that tuition and fee rates will remain the same for the 2013-2014 year. Once I receive the 'official' notification, I will pass it on to you as well."

link


Awesome!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby eaper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Chaucer1343 wrote:From Dean Ingram:

"All, I've been waiting for official notification and we're getting close. I am 98% (unofficially sure) that tuition and fee rates will remain the same for the 2013-2014 year. Once I receive the 'official' notification, I will pass it on to you as well."

link


Awesome!


The Dean sent out an email today saying that tuition will remain the same.

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Anyone going to be at the mini-visit tomorrow?

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am

Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 am

BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?


Use an apartment locator to help you out; they are free (paid by the apartment once you lease) and they can get you deals and locations not on craiglist and stuff. My friend Drew Johnson at Rentweird has helped my find my last two places and he really gets it. drew@rentweird.com; I'll be using him for the fall (or rooming with him myself haha).

That is not a total pipedream if you are prepared to not live too close to downtown or campus.

EDIT: On that note: WASPy male here looking to get a place in Hyde Park. Get at me

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

romanticegotist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?


Use an apartment locator to help you out; they are free (paid by the apartment once you lease) and they can get you deals and locations not on craiglist and stuff. My friend Drew Johnson at Rentweird has helped my find my last two places and he really gets it. drew@rentweird.com; I'll be using him for the fall (or rooming with him myself haha).

That is not a total pipedream if you are prepared to not live too close to downtown or campus.

EDIT: On that note: WASPy male here looking to get a place in Hyde Park. Get at me


Thanks! This helps.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 am

From what I have heard about how insular and small the Austin legal market is do you guys think it would be better to get a 9 month lease? Im just looking for a decent studio relatively close to campus. Quite a few places seem to have 9 month lease options, but it usually makes the rent more expensive.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby eaper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 am

timeandspace11 wrote:From what I have heard about how insular and small the Austin legal market is do you guys think it would be better to get a 9 month lease? Im just looking for a decent studio relatively close to campus. Quite a few places seem to have 9 month lease options, but it usually makes the rent more expensive.


You also have to think that you'll have to move all of your shit into storage, then move it again at the end of the summer. Plus, if you end up only getting a gig for half of a summer, it makes it more difficult to do summer classes/RA.

Also, a few of my section-mates have non-firm jobs in Austin at the capital, State Supreme Court, inhouse (I think one of my section mates has in-house for a big corp's Austin base), and for the university. From what I've see, even if you're thinking big law or bust, you really shouldn't think that your first semester unless you have connections, something for diversity, or some good work experience under your belt. If another current student thinks differently, they're welcome to say something, but that's about what I've seen.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby de5igual » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?


look up midtown commons. the train stops at the complex and takes you straight to MLK where a shuttle drops you off right in front of the law school.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby timeandspace11 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 am

eaper wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:From what I have heard about how insular and small the Austin legal market is do you guys think it would be better to get a 9 month lease? Im just looking for a decent studio relatively close to campus. Quite a few places seem to have 9 month lease options, but it usually makes the rent more expensive.


You also have to think that you'll have to move all of your shit into storage, then move it again at the end of the summer. Plus, if you end up only getting a gig for half of a summer, it makes it more difficult to do summer classes/RA.

Also, a few of my section-mates have non-firm jobs in Austin at the capital, State Supreme Court, inhouse (I think one of my section mates has in-house for a big corp's Austin base), and for the university. From what I've see, even if you're thinking big law or bust, you really shouldn't think that your first semester unless you have connections, something for diversity, or some good work experience under your belt. If another current student thinks differently, they're welcome to say something, but that's about what I've seen.



Thanks for this

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:49 pm

f0bolous wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?


look up midtown commons. the train stops at the complex and takes you straight to MLK where a shuttle drops you off right in front of the law school.


Looks awesome! Thank you so much!

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm

f0bolous wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?


look up midtown commons. the train stops at the complex and takes you straight to MLK where a shuttle drops you off right in front of the law school.


These look really nice - but man.... i don't know about a 35-40 minute commute :|

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Deposited recently, already a little stressed out about finding housing. I would like a nice-ish one bedroom with the ability to park two cars, washer and dryer in unit, decently quiet, easy access to at least a bus/shuttle to get to campus, all for about $1000.

Pipedream? Get a broker? Don't worry about this stuff yet?


look up midtown commons. the train stops at the complex and takes you straight to MLK where a shuttle drops you off right in front of the law school.


These look really nice - but man.... i don't know about a 35-40 minute commute :|


the train takes you straight to the law school (via the shuttle). all in all, a 25 minute door-to-door commute, plus you save on parking. the train also takes you downtown and the night owl takes you back up till 3am, so that's like a couple hundred in cabfare saved.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby michaelm55 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Did you guys see the rates? I was seeing $1,200 and up.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby michaelm55 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm

I would recommend The Ridge Apartments. There are ups and downs of course.

Ups = 1 bed 1 bath - $740 per month, $500 off first months rent, 15-20 minute commute via UT Shuttle (which runs by the street the apartments are off of), and nice area of town (NW of campus) - not crummy like immediately proximate areas of campus (always servicing poor and somtimes partying students). Next to Wells Fargo, Post office, HEB, restaurants, shopping, etc. New fitness center, 2 pools, and brand new study/technology/ lounge room equipped with new I-Macs. Some 1 bed 1 bath $740 per month come with wood floors. Pet friendly. Crown molding.

Downs = Owned by large corporation so management comes and goes quite often (rendering lots of management inexperienced). Smaller floor plans (mine is 630 SQ feet). Since it is pet friendly, there can be poop in walkways. Also, the inherent disadvantages of any appartment also apply (families with noisy children or pets... etc.).

That is what my wife and I chose, but we don't live here yet, so this info comes from research and examination of reviews, not direct experience. So take it with a grain of salt. I wish you all the best of luck.
Last edited by michaelm55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I would recommend The Ridge Apartments. There are ups and downs of course.

Ups = 1 bed 1 bath - $740 per month, $500 off first months rent, 15-20 minute commute via UT Shuttle (which runs by the street the apartments are off of), and nice area of town (NW of campus) - not crummy like immediately proximate areas of campus (always servicing poor and somtimes partying students). Next to Wells Fargo, Post office, HEB, restaurants, shopping, etc. New fitness center, 2 pools, and brand new study/technology/ lounge room equipped with new I-Macs. Some 1 bed 1 bath $740 per month come with wood floors. Pet friendly. Crown molding.

Downs = Owned by large corporation so management comes and goes and can be unprofessional. Smaller floor plans (mine is 630 SQ feet). Since it is pet friendly, there can be poop in walkways. Also, the inherent disadvantages of any appartment also apply (families with noisy children or pets... etc.).

That is what my wife and I chose, but we don't live here yet, so this info comes from research and examination of reviews, not direct experience. So take it with a grain of salt. I wish you all the best of luck.


Damn, sounds nice! Washer and dryer in the unit? Are you there now? Like, have you tested the commute to campus and explored the area?

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 pm

My bad, just saw that you're not there yet. Still, will check it out!

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby michaelm55 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Internet pages can be deceiving, and so some aprtments that don't look that great (i.e. The Ridge), can be surprisingly nice in person, and some apartments that look great online can be less than expected. My wife visited The Ridge, and the primary advantage is location. Location is not something that can really be assessed from a webpage.

That's why first hand info from students, grads, and physical visitors is so valuable.

Also, as you all are looking at apartment reviews online: note that just like denied law school applicants are less likely to report such a result on LSN and TLS Stats than they are to report acceptances, so too disgruntled tenants at apartments are more likely to type up reviews than fully satisfied customers. Why is this? Law School applicants are essentially reviewing themselves when reporting to TLS Stats and LSN, while tenants are reviewing others, creating more room for criticism, as well as less incentive to report positively (since it doesn't necessarily reflect anything good about the person doing the typing). Also, working in sales, I have learned that reviews are an outlet for angry people to release, even if the anger has nothing to do with what is released (in other words, often times the problems cited in the reviews point more directly to problems with the people writing them than the apartments they live in).

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am

While it's true that large management companies can be a hassle, I haven't had that experience with the apartment that I have now. It's a part of the Roscoe Properties network, and as far as I know most people are satisfied with them. It might be useful to check out what apartment complexes they own near campus.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 am

While it's true that you can get apartments that are cheaper and/or nicer the farther away from school you go, my recommendation is to try and be as close as possible (at least for 1L year). Some options: Duval Villa (overpriced, but close and good location); Oak Park (not as nice as Duval Villa, but cheaper); and River Oaks (looks nice on a superficial level, but everything is pretty cheaply made--incredibly close though). For Oak Park and Duval Villa, you can take the UT shuttle to school. For River Oaks, you walk across the street. For those willing to pay the extra money, the Triangle and Gables are both pretty nice. I'm not sure if the UT shuttle can take you to school from either though--you might need to try and get a parking pass.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am

Who else is super interested in what admissions is sending us?

#lawschoolswag

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Who else is super interested in what admissions is sending us?

#lawschoolswag


I'm kind of hoping for a tshirt but even if that's what it is it probably won't be my size anyway.

Any guesses what it might be?

Chaucer1343
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby Chaucer1343 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:33 am

I never received my admitted package; so... (I live overseas.) =(




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest