Texas Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby ironbmike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Hey guys, Texas 3L here. Congrats on choosing UT! I'm happy to answer questions if you want, particularly about out-of-stater issues. There are quite a few of us on TLS, so hopefully others will chime in as well. If you're still considering UT, I can also speak to that.


I'm from Virginia. How are outsiders received there, and how is the job market?

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm

ironbmike wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:Hey guys, Texas 3L here. Congrats on choosing UT! I'm happy to answer questions if you want, particularly about out-of-stater issues. There are quite a few of us on TLS, so hopefully others will chime in as well. If you're still considering UT, I can also speak to that.
I'm from Virginia. How are outsiders received there, and how is the job market?
My experience was pretty positive as an outsider, but the job market in Texas is going to be tough to crack unless you have ties (pre-existing or manufactured) or are on law review with good grades. If you have ties to other markets and have respectable grades, Texas certainly won't hold you back; it may even be a boost, depending on the quality of the local law schools.

Any idea what you want to do or where you want to practice?

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby ironbmike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 am

philosoraptor wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:Hey guys, Texas 3L here. Congrats on choosing UT! I'm happy to answer questions if you want, particularly about out-of-stater issues. There are quite a few of us on TLS, so hopefully others will chime in as well. If you're still considering UT, I can also speak to that.
I'm from Virginia. How are outsiders received there, and how is the job market?
My experience was pretty positive as an outsider, but the job market in Texas is going to be tough to crack unless you have ties (pre-existing or manufactured) or are on law review with good grades. If you have ties to other markets and have respectable grades, Texas certainly won't hold you back; it may even be a boost, depending on the quality of the local law schools.

Any idea what you want to do or where you want to practice?


Ideally in the Northern Virginia area; I have ties here through work. But if I went to school at Texas I would prefer to look for work in Texas than come back to Virginia, although that would be an option.

old joe clark
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby old joe clark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Just paid my seat deposit. See you guys and girls soon!

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby ironbmike » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Any advice on housing? I don't want to live with undergrads, and I don't want to live in a crappy/old apartment. Any areas to look into?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

ironbmike wrote:Any advice on housing? I don't want to live with undergrads, and I don't want to live in a crappy/old apartment. Any areas to look into?

North Campus/Hyde Park is definitely the place to be for these requirements.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby mg7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

Yeah, and I also know a lot of undergrads who live in that area too.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby eaper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm

mg7 wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

Yeah, and I also know a lot of undergrads who live in that area too.


Look around Red River just north of campus. There are also some nice apartments around Hyde Park in general.

And most apartments I've seen in general are pretty damn old. The ones that aren't are either way out or full of noisy undergrads from what I've seen.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

Oh yeah good point... The Triangle might be a good spot then, pretty pricey though.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby mg7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Damn I forgot how annoying it is looking for a place to live in a city you're not currently living in.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

I can deal with old apartments as long as they are not infested with rats or bugs. Affordability and proximity to campus are definitely more important to me than age.

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:54 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I can deal with old apartments as long as they are not infested with rats or bugs. Affordability and proximity to campus are definitely more important to me than age.


Agreed. Bed bugs and rodents scare the living hell out of me. Old is fine as long as it is clean, but I am very wary.

Edit: Thanks for the advice everyone

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

A lot of the old apartment complexes have been updated on the inside, so they don't look too bad, at least from what I can tell via internet searches. There are also some condo complexes near the Crown & Anchor/Posse area that look decent - the Benchmark, Windtree, Oakview. Those are in the $1500-1600/mo for 2 bedroom range.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby timeandspace11 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:A lot of the old apartment complexes have been updated on the inside, so they don't look too bad, at least from what I can tell via internet searches. There are also some condo complexes near the Crown & Anchor/Posse area that look decent - the Benchmark, Windtree, Oakview. Those are in the $1500-1600/mo for 2 bedroom range.



Thanks! I personally am more interested a studio. According to Craigslist and Padmapper it seems around the Hyde Park/North Campus area they run from $600-$750 getting progressively cheaper further out.

grapefruits
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby grapefruits » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Anyone planning on being there April 5th? I feel like the smaller visits at all law schools are going to be relatively unattended.

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby turbotong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Current 2L. I'll be there on April 5th running two of the student org. tables during the morning.
Hope to see you all there.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Crossposting from the applicants thread:

Hey guys, I hope you're all really excited for ASD this weekend! We will definitely be having a party at my place on Friday night. I live literally across the street from the law school with 5 current UT Law students in a very large house where we host many parties, and we will provide plenty of drinks for everyone. They are also still looking for a incoming 1L to be a roommate in the house in the fall, and the house has a million perks including the perfect location and TONS of old outlines and books. So I'm inviting everyone to come enjoy some drinks with your future classmates Friday night after ASD!

People will be at the house drinking and watching March Madness on our amazing setup (two 60" TVs in the living room) pretty much all day, and I'll be there after the last ASD event around 4pm. Any of you guys are totally free to come over to hang out and watch basketball from that point on, but I assume the party won't really get going until 8pm or so.

Our place is just on the other side of the road at 706 E. Dean Keeton.

Please don't hesitate to show up! Everyone in the house is super friendly and enthusiastic about UT Law and we'd love to have you guys! If nothing else, free booze!

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby dkb17xzx » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 am

checking in... unless BC offers me a full ride


Anyone heard about Graduate Student Housing? Something like $550 / month + electric.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 am

Curious..are these the apartments on Lake Austin? thats hella cheap

AFS
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby AFS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

Oh yeah good point... The Triangle might be a good spot then, pretty pricey though.


I know a few law students living in The Triangle and they really like it. Personally, I like living walking distance from the law school, though you'd be paying more for the location than for the quality of the apartment. It's really convenient to be able to walk to school whenever you want (it hardly ever rains here as well) and not have to rely on buses.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby dkb17xzx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Curious..are these the apartments on Lake Austin? thats hella cheap



http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/i ... e=2&id=639

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby Longhorn88 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Curious..are these the apartments on Lake Austin? thats hella cheap


They're great if you're looking for that 1970's Soviet Ukraine feel. Otherwise stick with Hyde Park or other condos.

mg7 wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

Yeah, and I also know a lot of undergrads who live in that area too.


There's gonna be undergrads everywhere north or west of campus but Hyde Park is generally pretty quiet, at least compared to West Campus. There's also some nice places on South Congress or around downtown if you don't mind paying more or commuting.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby michaelm55 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 am

I will be attending this Fall.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

Shout out to TLS at ASW!!!




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeYe88 and 1 guest