Penn Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
dsn32

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby dsn32 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 am

All good advice, thanks! Anyone eaten at Bobby Flay's burger place? Supposedly close to campus, wondering if its worth a try?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 pm

dsn32 wrote:All good advice, thanks! Anyone eaten at Bobby Flay's burger place? Supposedly close to campus, wondering if its worth a try?

It's pretty good. A bit pricey in my opinion, but the burgers are really good and they have alcoholic milkshakes.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm

PennBull wrote:
dsn32 wrote:All good advice, thanks! Anyone eaten at Bobby Flay's burger place? Supposedly close to campus, wondering if its worth a try?

It's pretty good. A bit pricey in my opinion, but the burgers are really good and they have alcoholic milkshakes.

I'll have to hit that up then! I guess my one last question would be, where are students living? I'd be looking for a studio or 1 bedroom in university city....

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:28 pm

It's okay but nothing special. The condiments are my favorite part by far. If you want a burger, go to Village Whiskey and thank me later. (Don't be tempted by the Shake Shack across the street. You can get that anywhere.)

BabyJT

Postby BabyJT » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 pm

PennBull wrote:

checking in... even though I've been stalking this thread for a while now. mailing my enrollment form shortly :D I was already really excited, but the bolded just increased my excitement. Hello all!!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 pm

dsn32 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

I'll have to hit that up then! I guess my one last question would be, where are students living? I'd be looking for a studio or 1 bedroom in university city....

If you go, get the burger medium-well or well done. I've ordered medium there, and its still way too bloody (unless you like it that way).

As for where students live, if they're in UC, its generally east of like 46th street (though you could go a few blocks farther out and be safe, its just too long of a walk IMO even though I know people who do walk that distance to/from class) and between Walnut and Baltimore.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

SportsFan wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

If you go, get the burger medium-well or well done. I've ordered medium there, and its still way too bloody (unless you like it that way).

As for where students live, if they're in UC, its generally east of like 46th street (though you could go a few blocks farther out and be safe, its just too long of a walk IMO even though I know people who do walk that distance to/from class) and between Walnut and Baltimore.

And you can start going north of Walnut once you get east of 40th.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Good stuff! Excited to see Philly on Thursday!

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

So how is everyone doing on the apartment hunt? I am struggling a bit.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Gisney wrote:So how is everyone doing on the apartment hunt? I am struggling a bit.

I'm all set. Just figuring out how/where to store my furniture over the summer :?

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
Gisney wrote:So how is everyone doing on the apartment hunt? I am struggling a bit.

I'm all set. Just figuring out how/where to store my furniture over the summer :?

Where are you living? if you don't mind me asking

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Haven't started yet but will be soon. Interested to know how you make out! I'm looking for 1 bedrooms in University City in the $700-$900 range.

I was thinking of contacting University City Associates (http://www.universitycityassociates.com/default.aspx) although maybe that would lead to me winding up in some undergrad popular building.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:21 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:

Haven't started yet but will be soon. Interested to know how you make out! I'm looking for 1 bedrooms in University City in the $700-$900 range.

I was thinking of contacting University City Associates (http://www.universitycityassociates.com/default.aspx) although maybe that would lead to me winding up in some undergrad popular building.

Just found an apartment with a couple of guys from my undergrad. West Philly (15 min walk), gated complex, 550 a month.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:

Yea I thought about living alone but I think it will be cheaper with a roommate.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:

Just found an apartment with a couple of guys from my undergrad. West Philly (15 min walk), gated complex, 550 a month.

Nice! How'd you find it - did you use a realtor or a particular website?

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Gisney wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:

Yea I thought about living alone but I think it will be cheaper with a roommate.

I've been out of school for awhile so not sure I could go back to roommate living lol. But the 1 bedroom prices in UC don't seem that bad at all, as long as you're not living in Domus or some other luxury building.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Craigslist is TCR for Philly.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Gisney wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:

Where are you living? if you don't mind me asking

The 40th and Pine St. neighborhood is the majority Penn graduate students with the rest being families and a minority (very small amount) being Penn undergrads. It's a pretty green neighborhood (trees, grass, a couple yards and houses that have usable backyard space) if that matters to you.

Living in Philly for the past 5 years, this was a no brainer neighborhood to get a place in.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Just to blanket comment on this whole page:

- UCA, like Campus Apartments, is really popular with undergrads, so bear that in mind. They rage more than we will be (speaking as a former Penn undergrad who lived in UCA housing.)

- 40th and Pine is pretty quiet with the exception of the Owls house. It's basically a Penn "secret society" (aka unlicensed frat) whose only claim to fame, other than Eurotrash douchebaggery, is throwing late nights after all the other parties end. Aside from that one, loud place, it's not bad. Lots of nice, big houses and all that, though smaller apartments might be hard to come by.

- UC and West Philly can save you tons of money, but I know a lot of Penn Law people, very few of whom live west of the Schyulkill. It's not to say that doing so is bad or socially crippling by any means, just that a lot of people our age tend to live in Center City. There are more bars, a lot of your classmates will live there, etc. I promise you that you can find affordable housing in CC if you put in some legwork. I live in a great neighborhood and pay next to nothing, though my building is old and my studio is tiny. I'd really like to continue living alone (and might have to since my lease isn't up until the end of November, which is a shitawful time...too early to find a subletter for the fall semester, too early to get a new place starting in the new year, etc etc etc), but having just one roommate can really open a lot of doors. For example, I saw a 1BR I really liked for $1400 and a 2BR I really liked for $160...yeahhhh. :|

You might want to look at http://www.phillyapartmentco.com, Padmapper, Lovely, and Craigslist. Also, much of the Philly rental market is dominated by small companies that own a handful of buildings. I wish there were a better way to find them all online, but I have to say that I've had just as much luck noticing "for rent" signs while walking around as I have searching the established online resources.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm

shntn wrote:I know a lot of Penn Law people, very few of whom live west of the Schyulkill.

1L it's just about 50/50. 2L is when a mass exodus to center city occurs though for sure.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 pm

PennBull wrote:
shntn wrote:I know a lot of Penn Law people, very few of whom live west of the Schyulkill.

1L it's just about 50/50. 2L is when a mass exodus to center city occurs though for sure.

I'm all about being ahead of the curve. 8)

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Wish I had known I would be attending at ASW. Would have looked at apartments and creeped on some roommate potentials.

As it is, with work and money, I will not be able to come back till I move. Anyone out there need a roommate?

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:

Nice! How'd you find it - did you use a realtor or a particular website?

Craigslist had it listed and I called the guy up. Its over off 40th and barring st. Eventually some people from my undergrad that are either out in philly or heading out to this summer got in contact with me and we set something up in a different unit in the same complex as the craigslist apartment. Its a 4bdrm as is a good set-up. As far as my roommates go they are all graduate students, 2 of the three 3 at Upenn, so not too worried about them raging all night while I want to study.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 pm

PennBull wrote:

I'd even say its more like 60/40 who live in UC during 1L, at least in my experience. But yeah, a lot of people are moving to CC next year so it'll probably move from 60/40 to like 25/75. There are definitely times I wish I had lived in CC during 1L (mostly because there is a lot more to do there) but I definitely don't regret living in UC at all.

I think living in UC during 1L can be a big advantage because its pretty much guaranteed to be a shorter walk (or bike ride, if you're into that) than from CC (unless you're at 2400 Chestnut or w/e). You're not gonna want to be bringing your books back and forth all the time because they're so heavy, and having a locker at the law school means if you're <20 minutes away, its really easy to stop by whenever you want and get your stuff and go to the library or whatever. But this may not apply to everyone, since I LOVE having a locker and use it all the time.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Nickg415 wrote: Its over off 40th and barring st.

Have they reopened the liquor store at 41st and Market?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”