Penn Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
hume85

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 am

bobbyflayed wrote:Anyone thinking about living at the Hub on Chestnut?

No, because they don't offer individual leases, and I don't know anyone in Philly I trust enough to share a lease. But it looks like a great location: Google Maps says that it's an 11 minute walk to the law school and a 12 minute walk back.

Emmy213

Postby Emmy213 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
DogDay90 wrote:I will take the silence as a yes...

i'm just antsy.. all I've been doing is trying to figure out where I'm gonna live and looking at all things philly. glad to finally get back to a real city after the midwest :)

How are you looking into the housing situation? (Don't know where to start...)

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Emmy213 wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

i'm just antsy.. all I've been doing is trying to figure out where I'm gonna live and looking at all things philly. glad to finally get back to a real city after the midwest :)

Penn's graduate housing website was a useful starting point.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:42 pm

hume85 wrote:Penn's graduate housing website was a useful starting point.

From the looks of it you can find pretty decent housing right around the university for around 700 a month. Didn't know Penn had this search engine. Thanks for the heads up!

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:13 pm

hume85 wrote:
Emmy213 wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

yea, started there, although most things on that website seem to be on the higher end of prices (1k+)

I got like 50 names of nearby just by skimming the entire Penn students taking questions thread...although I was surprised with how many people in that thread got their housing budgets increased to get luxury places..definitely not what I'm looking to do heading to Penn at sticker (most likely) :wink:

Personally at this point I'm thinking I'm gonna try to find a brownstone on Craigslist on the west side of city center. Seems like an exciting place to be, but if I can't find something under $800 or so there is always a ton of cheaper stuff west of campus on Craigslist

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Emmy213 wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

yea, started there, although most things on that website seem to be on the higher end of prices (1k+)

I got like 50 names of nearby just by skimming the entire Penn students taking questions thread...although I was surprised with how many people in that thread got their housing budgets increased to get luxury places..definitely not what I'm looking to do heading to Penn at sticker (most likely) :wink:

Personally at this point I'm thinking I'm gonna try to find a brownstone on Craigslist on the west side of city center. Seems like an exciting place to be, but if I can't find something under $800 or so there is always a ton of cheaper stuff west of campus on Craigslist

On the graduate website I found some really awesome looking old Victorians right down the street from campus in University City. I think rent was in the 700's, maybe low 800's. But you have to share a house with several people. I have no problem with that.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

hume85 wrote:On the graduate website I found some really awesome looking old Victorians right down the street from campus in University City. I think rent was in the 700's, maybe low 800's. But you have to share a house with several people. I have no problem with that.

I believe you're talking about http://universitycityhousing.com/proper ... tments.php ? they do seem like a good deal

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
hume85 wrote:On the graduate website I found some really awesome looking old Victorians right down the street from campus in University City. I think rent was in the 700's, maybe low 800's. But you have to share a house with several people. I have no problem with that.

I believe you're talking about http://universitycityhousing.com/proper ... tments.php ? they do seem like a good deal

I think those might be the ones, but I may be wrong. The pictures don't look exactly the same. I'll look in to it later and come back with what I find. But those apartments look like a good deal.

I was talking about the townhouses, which are different from the conversions. University City Housing rents out the Victorian Conversion Apartments and the Victorian Townhouses. They are both close to campus and cheap (http://universitycityhousing.com/properties/Victorian-Townhouses.php
http://universitycityhousing.com/properties/Victorian-Conversion-Apartments.php)
I called them today, and they will be showing them in January and March.
Last edited by hume85 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 am

hume85 wrote:

No, because they don't offer individual leases, and I don't know anyone in Philly I trust enough to share a lease. But it looks like a great location: Google Maps says that it's an 11 minute walk to the law school and a 12 minute walk back.

what do you mean by that? they have studios? wouldnt a studio be an individual lease?

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 am

bobbyflayed wrote:
hume85 wrote:

what do you mean by that? they have studios? wouldnt a studio be an individual lease?

You are correct. I should have been more thorough in my explanation, I meant the two bedroom apartments. To limit my COA I plan on having my own bedroom in an apartment or house with at least one other person. But it looks like a nice building in a great location, and if I wasn't so cheap I would consider it.

Emmy213

Postby Emmy213 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Anyone planning to bring a pet to Penn? I might have to reconsider it if I can't find housing nearby that's pet-friendly...:(

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Emmy213 wrote:Anyone planning to bring a pet to Penn? I might have to reconsider it if I can't find housing nearby that's pet-friendly...:(

My apartment building here (Old Quaker) allows pets - I think it's like $40 per month extra. It's only a 7 minute walk to the law school too.

Emmy213

Postby Emmy213 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Ahhh awesome! Now I have to find a roommate to live with... does that also happen on this thread? (pretty new to TLS haha)

sopranorleone wrote:
Emmy213 wrote:Anyone planning to bring a pet to Penn? I might have to reconsider it if I can't find housing nearby that's pet-friendly...:(

My apartment building here (Old Quaker) allows pets - I think it's like $40 per month extra. It's only a 7 minute walk to the law school too.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Hoping to get the Admitted Student Website soon this week so I can spend countless hours over Christmas break going through it getting psyched about next fall!

Postby 02889 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:18 pm

I just started looking at housing options for next year, and wow, Penn's off campus housing website is the most thorough I've ever seen.

For example, a map of all major apartment buildings in University City with links to the apartment website and reviews: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusservices/?p=maps/m&map=ucity

I'm impressed, Penn. Well done.

karich

Postby karich » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 pm

So uh. Whats this about a goat?

whuntington3

Postby whuntington3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 pm

I didn't think it was possible, but after visiting Penn/Philly this week, I'm even more excited for next fall!

hume85

Postby hume85 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 pm

whuntington3 wrote:I didn't think it was possible, but after visiting Penn/Philly this week I'm even more excited for next fall!

That's awesome. Do you have anything to share with those of us farther away from Penn to get us similarly excited? TYIA.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Got the acceptance packet in the mail today. Haven't seen it yet but it just a booklet and a letter.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Got the acceptance packet in the mail today. Haven't seen it yet but it just a booklet and a letter.

They'll send a VERY big packet later on (I think ~February) with tons of good information (I never got any others since I applied ED, but apparently its bigger/better than the acceptance packets other schools send).

hume85

Postby hume85 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

SportsFan wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Got the acceptance packet in the mail today. Haven't seen it yet but it just a booklet and a letter.

They'll send a VERY big packet later on (I think ~February) with tons of good information (I never got any others since I applied ED, but apparently its bigger/better than the acceptance packets other schools send).

Well, that's because Penn is bigger and better than everyone else.

Postby 02889 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 am

Anyone want to guess whether Penn will be more generous this year with scholarships than in years past?
Last edited by 02889 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whuntington3

Postby whuntington3 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 pm

hume85 wrote:
whuntington3 wrote:I didn't think it was possible, but after visiting Penn/Philly this week I'm even more excited for next fall!

That's awesome. Do you have anything to share with those of us farther away from Penn to get us similarly excited? TYIA.

Well mainly, I think just physically being there made it all seem so much more real. I was there on the last day of finals for 1Ls, and the school got them pizza and beer to celebrate, which is exactly the kind of atmosphere I want my law school to be fostering. I also had the chance to explore the city for a few days, and it just seems really livable in a way that other big cities are not.

karich

Postby karich » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am

whuntington3 wrote:
hume85 wrote:

Well mainly, I think just physically being there made it all seem so much more real. I was there on the last day of finals for 1Ls, and the school got them pizza and beer to celebrate, which is exactly the kind of atmosphere I want my law school to be fostering. I also had the chance to explore the city for a few days, and it just seems really livable in a way that other big cities are not.

What about the cheesesteaks? How many pounds of cheesesteak did you consume from how many different places?

Please describe each of the cheesesteak places you visited and make sure to mention each of the following: Distance from the Law School, Quality of steak/cheese, Price, Atmosphere, and Did you meet Chris Pronger?

whuntington3

Postby whuntington3 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:57 pm

karich wrote:What about the cheesesteaks? How many pounds of cheesesteak did you consume from how many different places?

Please describe each of the cheesesteak places you visited and make sure to mention each of the following: Distance from the Law School, Quality of steak/cheese, Price, Atmosphere, and Did you meet Chris Pronger?

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't eat even one cheesesteak.

Also, ASWebsite is online. Happy Saturday!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”