Penn Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby risa » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:I might be interested in splitting a hotel room on Monday 4/8 (and possibly Sunday 4/7) if any ladies are interested... PM me. I can't find anything even close to my price range without going far and/or scummy :| After my hotel experience while visiting UCLA (gross) I am not feeling adventurous!


I'm pretty sure Penn has a slot of rooms available at the Sheraton across the street. Just call and ask about the Penn Law visit rate for that day.

No availability at all at that hotel. Most of the hotels on their list are booked and/or prohibitively expensive. :(

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby Gisney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm

02889 wrote:
risa wrote:I might be interested in splitting a hotel room on Monday 4/8 (and possibly Sunday 4/7) if any ladies are interested... PM me. I can't find anything even close to my price range without going far and/or scummy :| After my hotel experience while visiting UCLA (gross) I am not feeling adventurous!

Wouldn't it be nice if Penn offered a reasonable travel subsidy, particularly when they're making you come to campus for an interview?

Or, you know, even bothered to respond to my email asking about it?


They give you a form to fill out when you get there and it is only up to $200 if you are outside of the NE.

testaker
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby testaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am

Has anyone sent a competing merit scholarship letter to Penn (and had success with garnering merit aid from them) yet? If so, did you write an accompanying essay of sorts, or just a really brief email, sent to the address listed on their site?

Additionally, does anyone know whether Penn expects you to send in just one merit offer? Or should you attach multiple offers you have received? The language and tenses they use on that page seem vague to me. Thanks.

***corgy***
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby ***corgy*** » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:49 am

testaker wrote:Has anyone sent a competing merit scholarship letter to Penn (and had success with garnering merit aid from them) yet? If so, did you write an accompanying essay of sorts, or just a really brief email, sent to the address listed on their site? Thanks.


At the financial aid panel at admitted students day they said to send offers from peer schools to scholarships@law.upenn.edu.

He said that they don't have a matching policy but they consider other offers "relevant info" and that they are particularly interested to know if you have any scholarship offers with deadlines coming up. Sounded to me like a cover letter is not really necessary, they know why you are sending the other offers.

He also mentioned that they really want to know if you have offers from "those schools in NY" which I assume meant NYU and Columbia.

He said he gives out merit offers until April 30, and has given people money on the last day possible in the past.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Yeah I have a couple of more or less exploding offers that I made sure to highlight.

testaker
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby testaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

shntn wrote:Yeah I have a couple of more or less exploding offers that I made sure to highlight.


But did you actually attach multiple offers to the email, or just reference them?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:06 pm

testaker wrote:
shntn wrote:Yeah I have a couple of more or less exploding offers that I made sure to highlight.


But did you actually attach multiple offers to the email, or just reference them?

I sent a ton of attachments.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm

***corgy*** wrote:
testaker wrote:Has anyone sent a competing merit scholarship letter to Penn (and had success with garnering merit aid from them) yet? If so, did you write an accompanying essay of sorts, or just a really brief email, sent to the address listed on their site? Thanks.


At the financial aid panel at admitted students day they said to send offers from peer schools to scholarships@law.upenn.edu.

He said that they don't have a matching policy but they consider other offers "relevant info" and that they are particularly interested to know if you have any scholarship offers with deadlines coming up. Sounded to me like a cover letter is not really necessary, they know why you are sending the other offers.

He also mentioned that they really want to know if you have offers from "those schools in NY" which I assume meant NYU and Columbia.

He said he gives out merit offers until April 30, and has given people money on the last day possible in the past.


+1

User avatar
intlsplitr
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:45 am

Checking in. Im leaning towards Penn for next year, but still waiting on a couple scholarship responses before I send in my deposit.

I did my Masters at Penn, and took a class in the law school. Im happy to answer any questions (esp on housing, Philly, broader Penn-type stuff)!

FWIW, I paid about $600 a month in a shared two bedroom house in Center City. $2k/month is insane; it's easy to live in a good neighborhood for way less than that.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby az21833 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am

anybody else struggling with this levy deadline fast approaching?

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Anyone else check out the 2012 employment stats put out by Penn? 25% Is up from class of 2011 from 63k to 100k and 50% is up from 145k to 160k!

https://www.law.upenn.edu/careers/emplo ... istics.php

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Anyone else check out the 2012 employment stats put out by Penn? 25% Is up from class of 2011 from 63k to 100k and 50% is up from 145k to 160k!

https://www.law.upenn.edu/careers/emplo ... istics.php


Biglawl LOOMS

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby risa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 pm

risa wrote:
PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:I might be interested in splitting a hotel room on Monday 4/8 (and possibly Sunday 4/7) if any ladies are interested... PM me. I can't find anything even close to my price range without going far and/or scummy :| After my hotel experience while visiting UCLA (gross) I am not feeling adventurous!


I'm pretty sure Penn has a slot of rooms available at the Sheraton across the street. Just call and ask about the Penn Law visit rate for that day.

No availability at all at that hotel. Most of the hotels on their list are booked and/or prohibitively expensive. :(

Just spent an incredibly frustrating 1.5 hours calling every single hotel on Penn's list again. Most are sold out, and the few that aren't entirely booked are sold out of the UPenn rate and charging $350+ per night.

Does anyone know Philly and can tell me how much of a pain it's going to be if I stay all the way out by the airport? Is there a train or bus I can take to Penn fairly easily?

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby PennBull » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:06 pm

risa wrote:
Does anyone know Philly and can tell me how much of a pain it's going to be if I stay all the way out by the airport? Is there a train or bus I can take to Penn fairly easily?


Have you considered calling Penn Law admissions directly and seeing if they can help you out?

If not, yeah, it's actually pretty easy to get to the law school via public transit. There's a regional rail to 30th St. station, and the law school is a 15 minute walk from there.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby SportsFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 pm

risa wrote:
risa wrote:
PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:I might be interested in splitting a hotel room on Monday 4/8 (and possibly Sunday 4/7) if any ladies are interested... PM me. I can't find anything even close to my price range without going far and/or scummy :| After my hotel experience while visiting UCLA (gross) I am not feeling adventurous!


I'm pretty sure Penn has a slot of rooms available at the Sheraton across the street. Just call and ask about the Penn Law visit rate for that day.

No availability at all at that hotel. Most of the hotels on their list are booked and/or prohibitively expensive. :(

Just spent an incredibly frustrating 1.5 hours calling every single hotel on Penn's list again. Most are sold out, and the few that aren't entirely booked are sold out of the UPenn rate and charging $350+ per night.

Does anyone know Philly and can tell me how much of a pain it's going to be if I stay all the way out by the airport? Is there a train or bus I can take to Penn fairly easily?

The SEPTA Airport Line runs from (as you might imagine) the airport to center city and takes like 20 minutes. Get off at 30th street station and its a 10-15 minute walk to the law school.

Oh, and just make sure whatever hotel you stay at has a free shuttle to/from the airport (I'm sure most of them do, but I don't really stay at/near airports so idk for sure) since you won't really be able to walk from any of them to the airport.

cgw
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby cgw » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 pm

PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:
Does anyone know Philly and can tell me how much of a pain it's going to be if I stay all the way out by the airport? Is there a train or bus I can take to Penn fairly easily?


Have you considered calling Penn Law admissions directly and seeing if they can help you out?

If not, yeah, it's actually pretty easy to get to the law school via public transit. There's a regional rail to 30th St. station, and the law school is a 15 minute walk from there.


If you end up doing this, get off at University City instead of 30th St. It's slightly closer and you get to walk through Penn's campus instead of Drexel's.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:42 pm

cgw wrote:
PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:
Does anyone know Philly and can tell me how much of a pain it's going to be if I stay all the way out by the airport? Is there a train or bus I can take to Penn fairly easily?


Have you considered calling Penn Law admissions directly and seeing if they can help you out?

If not, yeah, it's actually pretty easy to get to the law school via public transit. There's a regional rail to 30th St. station, and the law school is a 15 minute walk from there.


If you end up doing this, get off at University City instead of 30th St. It's slightly closer and you get to walk through Penn's campus instead of Drexel's.

True story.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby risa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for the tips.
I did contact admissions and they just directed me to this site: http://campusphilly.org/ which didn't seem very helpful. I wish they offered a crash-with-a-student option.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby PennBull » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 pm

shntn wrote:
cgw wrote:If you end up doing this, get off at University City instead of 30th St. It's slightly closer and you get to walk through Penn's campus instead of Drexel's.

True story.


Oh word, yeah, better idea.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby risa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Is this decent location-wise?
http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/u ... oteldetail

My knowledge of Philadelphia neighborhoods is limited to the Fresh Prince theme song, so I have it in my head that West Philadelphia is dangerous. :oops:

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby PennBull » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 pm

risa wrote:Is this decent location-wise?
http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/u ... oteldetail

My knowledge of Philadelphia neighborhoods is limited to the Fresh Prince theme song, so I have it in my head that West Philadelphia is dangerous. :oops:


It's fine, but I have no idea how you'd get to Penn from there. Are you driving? Flying?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 pm

risa wrote:Is this decent location-wise?
http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/u ... oteldetail

My knowledge of Philadelphia neighborhoods is limited to the Fresh Prince theme song, so I have it in my head that West Philadelphia is dangerous. :oops:

Kinda out in the boonies.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby risa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 pm

PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:Is this decent location-wise?
http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/u ... oteldetail

My knowledge of Philadelphia neighborhoods is limited to the Fresh Prince theme song, so I have it in my head that West Philadelphia is dangerous. :oops:

shntn wrote:Kinda out in the boonies.



It's fine, but I have no idea how you'd get to Penn from there. Are you driving? Flying?

Taking the train in from NYC so will not have a car. Google maps says from that Crowne Plaza you can take the 30 bus to UPenn (~30 min) or the 52 bus to light rail (~44 minutes).

I hate Philadelphia already. :cry:

I just keep checking back with the decently-priced hotels on the UPenn list and hoping someone will cancel.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby PennBull » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 pm

risa wrote:Taking the train in from NYC so will not have a car. Google maps says from that Crowne Plaza you can take the 30 bus to UPenn (~30 min) or the 52 bus to light rail (~44 minutes).

I hate Philadelphia already. :cry:

I just keep checking back with the decently-priced hotels on the UPenn list and hoping someone will cancel.


You're coming for Preview Day, right? Why not just come early Monday morning?

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Postby risa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:59 pm

PennBull wrote:
risa wrote:Taking the train in from NYC so will not have a car. Google maps says from that Crowne Plaza you can take the 30 bus to UPenn (~30 min) or the 52 bus to light rail (~44 minutes).

I hate Philadelphia already. :cry:

I just keep checking back with the decently-priced hotels on the UPenn list and hoping someone will cancel.


You're coming for Preview Day, right? Why not just come early Monday morning?

I don't have anywhere to stay in NYC that night (I don't live there, just visiting NYU before I head down to Philly). I need to stay in Philly Monday night too b/c I have an interview Tuesday.

Would you take the Crowne Plaza in the "boonies" ($119+ tax per night) or out by the airport ($162+ tax/night)?

Thanks for all your help.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest