Penn Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Gisney

Bronze

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Post by Gisney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am

02889 wrote:Did any Toll applicants get confirmation that their essays were received? I'm wondering if I should call/email to be sure.

I didn't get any confirmation and I am pretty sure risa didn't yet either. We send them to the assistant financial aid director so I am sure she is a little busy to send back an email to everyone.

sd1234

Bronze

Post by sd1234 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am

Gisney wrote:
02889 wrote:Did any Toll applicants get confirmation that their essays were received? I'm wondering if I should call/email to be sure.

I didn't get any confirmation and I am pretty sure risa didn't yet either. We send them to the assistant financial aid director so I am sure she is a little busy to send back an email to everyone.
I also didn't get confirmation.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am

Gisney wrote:

Okay, thanks!

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Gisney wrote:

yup. I think we're good. That said, if anyone gets a confirmation you better post it here so we all know to frantically email to ask if our essays were confirmed!

jumpin munkey

New

Post by jumpin munkey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 pm

Hey guys. I just joined TLS after lurking through admissions and will be at Penn in the fall.

Penn undergrad and living in Philly now. Penn is a great food truck campus. Others who went there can chime in as well, but some good spots are:

--Bui's at 38th and Spruce. Amazingly cheap, great hangover sandwiches -- sausage, egg, and cheese type of stuff.
--Hemo's at 38th and Walnut or 37th and Spruce (outside Quad) -- great chicken sandwiches, a Penn essential.
--Yue Kee Chinese (under the bridge on 38th between Walnut and Spruce) -- I hope this is still there. Brusque service but the best on campus.

They have added a boatload of restaurants recently, but good breakfast sandwiches can also be found at Greek Lady (40th and Locust); cheesesteaks and waffle fries at Abner's Steaks (38th and Chestnut).

Koch's Deli is farther out -- 42nd and Locust -- but is a hotspot given Penn's Jewish population.

Rambling now, but just thought I'd offer a small take on food. Philadelphia as a whole is an amazing food city and Penn is but a slice of it.

Looking forward to seeing some of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

I just got the financial aid decision email. I hope this doesn't mean I'm out of the running for the Toll Scholarship... anyone know? Anyone else who applied for Toll get a financial aid decision yet?

I got a big fat zero -- said I don't qualify for any need money (you know, because apparently my retired parents will be using their pension and/or selling their house to finance my legal education?) and there is no mention of a merit aid decision, which I assume means zero too... (For those of you who got merit aid, was it mentioned in the same Decision Letter as your need aid?)

Ugh. Looks like there is no way I'll be attending Penn unless I somehow get the Toll.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm

jumpin munkey wrote:Hey guys. I just joined TLS after lurking through admissions and will be at Penn in the fall.

Penn undergrad and living in Philly now. Penn is a great food truck campus. Others who went there can chime in as well, but some good spots are:

--Bui's at 38th and Spruce. Amazingly cheap, great hangover sandwiches -- sausage, egg, and cheese type of stuff.
--Hemo's at 38th and Walnut or 37th and Spruce (outside Quad) -- great chicken sandwiches, a Penn essential.
--Yue Kee Chinese (under the bridge on 38th between Walnut and Spruce) -- I hope this is still there. Brusque service but the best on campus.

They have added a boatload of restaurants recently, but good breakfast sandwiches can also be found at Greek Lady (40th and Locust); cheesesteaks and waffle fries at Abner's Steaks (38th and Chestnut).

Koch's Deli is farther out -- 42nd and Locust -- but is a hotspot given Penn's Jewish population.

Rambling now, but just thought I'd offer a small take on food. Philadelphia as a whole is an amazing food city and Penn is but a slice of it.

Looking forward to seeing some of you.
Is Don Memo not still around? Because that truck is pure heaven. I don't get to U.City much anymore, but I hope it's still there (38th and Sansom).

goden

Gold

Post by goden » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm

shntn wrote:Is Don Memo not still around? Because that truck is pure heaven. I don't get to U.City much anymore, but I hope it's still there (38th and Sansom).
+1. Although IIRC it would only be open some days and they tended to run out of things pretty quickly, so I would call in and place your order early.

Agree with Bui's, Hemo's, and YueKee. Other food trucks to try:

--KoJa: Decent pseudo-Korean food. Get their chicken terriyaki soba (even though it's stir-fried ramen, not soba).

--Tangs: For cheap and fast Chinese. If you must get Chinese on Spruce, get this over LeAnh every time.

--Kims: My favorite Asian truck after YueKee. Oriental beef is clutch. This place beats the other trucks next to the gym (Bento Box, Curry on Wheels).

--Mexiphilly: It doesn't taste like an "authentic" burrito and most people don't like this place but it's one of my favorites. I get ground beef/chicken with tofu and no beans, all salsas. Just don't go here if you're in a rush because he flips your burrito on all four sides.

--NY Gyro Truck: I get this every time I go back to Philly. Chicken and lamb combo over rice, with white sauce and hot sauce.

Again, stay away from LeAnh -- both the Real LeAnh and regular LeAnh.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Got the financial aid email, also $0 =/

Not unexpected though as ED

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am

Everyone who's getting their aid package, when were you accepted?

And is this just need-based aid? I got in on the 8th and didn't apply for need-based aid and I'm wondering when I'll get my aid package.
Also just to be clear, if I'm not applying for need-based aid, I don't have to send ANY forms in (unlike Duke, for example) right??

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:00 am

BSC wrote:Everyone who's getting their aid package, when were you accepted?

And is this just need-based aid? I got in on the 8th and didn't apply for need-based aid and I'm wondering when I'll get my aid package.
Also just to be clear, if I'm not applying for need-based aid, I don't have to send ANY forms in (unlike Duke, for example) right??
I'd also like to know the answer to this. Truth is, I'm not considering Penn as much as I should be because I have no financial aid info. If there is some coming, I don't want to write it off just yet.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Do we have to mail in copies of tax returns before we will even be considered for aid?

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm

digifly wrote:Do we have to mail in copies of tax returns before we will even be considered for aid?
Nope. I got my need-based award and I haven't sent the returns yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 pm

02889 wrote:
digifly wrote:Do we have to mail in copies of tax returns before we will even be considered for aid?
Nope. I got my need-based award and I haven't sent the returns yet.
Awesome, thanks!

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:53 pm

I received email asking for tax returns and W-2 for me and my parents. I think they only ask some people to send them in.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 pm

I believe that if you are under 30 and applying for financial aid you do need to send in copies of your parents tax returns and w2s. They will process everything and give you an offer without them but the offer wont be finalized until they have everything so that they can verify what you reported on the application.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 am

Nickg415 wrote:I believe that if you are under 30 and applying for financial aid you do need to send in copies of your parents tax returns and w2s. They will process everything and give you an offer without them but the offer wont be finalized until they have everything so that they can verify what you reported on the application.
+1. Everyone under said age needs to send in the tax returns AND W-2's, along with the cover sheets included in the admissions packet or available online.

On another note, I think this is my first post in this thread, and I'm almost entirely certain I will be at Penn in the fall! Excited to meet y'all! Looking forward to ASW.

Has anyone decided on their housing situation yet? What places have people been looking at? I've only been browsing over the Penn graduate housing website, and a lot of those places seem to be luxury apartments. I'm kind of looking for a happy medium between a luxury apartment and an old run down place lol. Preferably in an apartment building not a townhouse, etc. Basically, the best I could get for $1,000 or under a month.

Any recommendations?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:I believe that if you are under 30 and applying for financial aid you do need to send in copies of your parents tax returns and w2s. They will process everything and give you an offer without them but the offer wont be finalized until they have everything so that they can verify what you reported on the application.
+1. Everyone under said age needs to send in the tax returns AND W-2's, along with the cover sheets included in the admissions packet or available online.

On another note, I think this is my first post in this thread, and I'm almost entirely certain I will be at Penn in the fall! Excited to meet y'all! Looking forward to ASW.

Has anyone decided on their housing situation yet? What places have people been looking at? I've only been browsing over the Penn graduate housing website, and a lot of those places seem to be luxury apartments. I'm kind of looking for a happy medium between a luxury apartment and an old run down place lol. Preferably in an apartment building not a townhouse, etc. Basically, the best I could get for $1,000 or under a month.
Any recommendations?
Welcome! The 40th and Pine to 45th and Pine area (2-3 block radius of these intersections) has housing usually between $900-1100 a month, in between luxury and crap quality. I would recommend focusing your search there if you don't want to live in Center City (more $$$).

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Weird. I didn't have to do that.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
Welcome! The 40th and Pine to 45th and Pine area (2-3 block radius of these intersections) has housing usually between $900-1100 a month, in between luxury and crap quality. I would recommend focusing your search there if you don't want to live in Center City (more $$$).
Eh, the only thing with that is it's easy to become kind of cloistered in U.City. I lived on that side of the Schuylkill during undergrad, but I would definitely stay on this side if I wind up at Penn. There are a lot of different neighborhoods in CC, with varying price ranges, etc. I live in a really good neighborhood and pay peanuts. Of course, the apartment itself isn't very nice, but I value location and easy access to things.

TunnelVision

New

Post by TunnelVision » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm flying out next week to do some apartment shopping. Can anyone who has lived there for awhile speak to the advantages/disadvantages of living in CC vs UC? Also, and I'll know soon enough, but is CC really within walking distance of the law school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:41 pm

TunnelVision wrote:I'm flying out next week to do some apartment shopping. Can anyone who has lived there for awhile speak to the advantages/disadvantages of living in CC vs UC? Also, and I'll know soon enough, but is CC really within walking distance of the law school?
You won't want to during the worst of the winter, but yeah, parts of it are. Center City is kind of a blanket term. I'd say anywhere from Rittenhouse west is easily walkable for anyone who doesn't loathe walking. I, personally, make a very similar walk to and from work regularly and find it both pleasant and easy.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm

So what are the best online resources to use when looking for housing? I've already browsed around the graduate student housing website and craigslist.

Also, anyone know of apartment buildings I could look into, if I'm looking for a studio or 1 BR for under $1100/month? The Hub on Chestnut looks great, but their website says they are sold out until 2014.

And, anyone know if Penn has a housing fair for law students later this year?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:So what are the best online resources to use when looking for housing? I've already browsed around the graduate student housing website and craigslist.

Also, anyone know of apartment buildings I could look into, if I'm looking for a studio or 1 BR for under $1100/month? The Hub on Chestnut looks great, but their website says they are sold out until 2014.

And, anyone know if Penn has a housing fair for law students later this year?
http://www.phillyapartmentco.com/ can be useful.

Aside from that, try to find the names of rental companies. Philly is kinda dominated by small rental companies that only operate a handful of buildings. The Hub is okay but filled with undergrads, and if they're anything like they were when my friends lived there, you'll want to kill them when they're raging on a Wednesday. SO MANY NOISE COMPLAINTS, SO FEW SHITS GIVEN.

2400 Chestnut is like grad student central. The apartments are okay, and it's definitely within walking distance of the school while also being pretty close to all the stuff in CC. Not sure about pricing, though.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:56 pm

^^ Thanks for the help! 2400 Chestnut seems pretty nice (def gotta have a roommate for those prices though).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”