Penn Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 pm

cgw wrote:
Gisney wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:How's the housing search going y'all? I've basically just been using Craiglist up to this point.

Eh slowly. I am using Craigslist as well as a few others.

Anyone else feel a little lost after the deposit? I used to get an avg of 20 emails a day from different schools but after depositing and withdrawing it had been zilch.

I realize there is nothint to say at this point but Crazy how you go from constant updates and paper work to nothing.

Makes me think I dreamt the whole thing.

Calm before the storm I suppose....
I know, I'm ashamed at how excited I initially was by that Penn Law E-Brief email they sent today.

Trying to find an apartment is miserable.
Very stressful trying to find that perfect apartment... On the verge of breaking down and signing a lease on something for 1k per month... but i know that extra 10-15k after graduation is not worth it. Just worried that I'll pass on something decent hoping for something great, but then it'll be too late and i'll be stuck in something crappy...

Thought I had found my dream apartment, 400 sqft 1 bed for $8xx close as shit to the law school, but had been rented the day before I called (and on the same day they posted it on craigslist :( )

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 am

^ I hear ya, I'm trying to stay within a 15min walk from the law school, because I want to be able to hit the gym first thing in the morning before classes and not worry about transportation. Found a 1 BR 10-15min away that is completely brand new (never been lived in), that I think I will be able to talk down to $725 (w/o utilities). Doesn't have an oven (I could just buy a counter top one) but has a washer/dryer. Seems like a pretty sweet deal, but idk if I should hold out for something better.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Fri May 10, 2013 5:39 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:^ I hear ya, I'm trying to stay within a 15min walk from the law school, because I want to be able to hit the gym first thing in the morning before classes and not worry about transportation. Found a 1 BR 10-15min away that is completely brand new (never been lived in), that I think I will be able to talk down to $725 (w/o utilities). Doesn't have an oven (I could just buy a counter top one) but has a washer/dryer. Seems like a pretty sweet deal, but idk if I should hold out for something better.
what lease signing date bro?

I'm hoping for a July 15, otherwise Aug 1, and it seems like most stuff on craigslist is still June1 or July 1 leases

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Wed May 15, 2013 8:41 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:^ I hear ya, I'm trying to stay within a 15min walk from the law school, because I want to be able to hit the gym first thing in the morning before classes and not worry about transportation. Found a 1 BR 10-15min away that is completely brand new (never been lived in), that I think I will be able to talk down to $725 (w/o utilities). Doesn't have an oven (I could just buy a counter top one) but has a washer/dryer. Seems like a pretty sweet deal, but idk if I should hold out for something better.
what lease signing date bro?

I'm hoping for a July 15, otherwise Aug 1, and it seems like most stuff on craigslist is still June1 or July 1 leases
I had a September 1 move-in date, and I just thought I'd add that while it definitely wasn't ideal, it wasn't the worst thing in the world to move in then (if you have to, or whatever reason).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:34 am

Problem for me is, I need to be out of my place in NY on July 31st, bringing a whole bunch of furniture etc., so I couldn't possibly deal with two moves (one to a temporary place and another to a permanent place). I'm going real low budget here and bringing a Uhaul and a friend of mine and we're gonna load/unload everything ourselves. The only other alternative would be to move into a temporary place for August and put my stuff in storage, but that would just be a waste of money to me (pretty sure it would be expensive).

I'm hopeful I can find a place that will accept an Aug 1st move-in date.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Well I got my place locked down. South Bonsall street, big 1 bed, amazing price, under 20 minute walk to school. Got it from WPRG, they seem unanimously terribly reviewed online but oh well i'm use to cheap places. Ended up signing a lease a lot earlier than I was planning, but oh well just means I'll quit my job and move sooner. Will be moving out in July with shit to do other than relax and kick it around the NE so anyone in the area hit me up!! lol

Also if anyone wants to crash at the place in June before I move out there let me know.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 am

We're talking about William Penn Realty Group right? Is this is CC? I didn't see any UC places on their website.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:We're talking about William Penn Realty Group right? Is this is CC? I didn't see any UC places on their website.
yea city center, on the west side right next the river.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm

On a related topic, have you considered getting a bike? I'm a dedicated walker too, but there's virtually nowhere in central Philly (U City, Center City, Olde City, South Street) that you can't get to in a few minutes via bike lines. Public transit is really only necessary in the worst winter storms. Or hurricane season, since that's pretty much a regular thing on the upper east coast now.

BabyJT

New

Post by BabyJT » Wed May 22, 2013 9:31 am

PennKeys are here!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:51 am

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BabyJT

New

Post by BabyJT » Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
laotze wrote:
On a related topic, have you considered getting a bike? I'm a dedicated walker too, but there's virtually nowhere in central Philly (U City, Center City, Olde City, South Street) that you can't get to in a few minutes via bike lines. Public transit is really only necessary in the worst winter storms. Or hurricane season, since that's pretty much a regular thing on the upper east coast now.
I have thought about it, haven't decided yet but seems like a good idea.

AFA the Penn Keys, is there any reason to be excited about these (what do they let us do again)?

Personally I just want my Penn email address, so I can connect to the Penn network on facebook and gloat to all of my friends about that ivy prestige :lol: .
I don't know if they let us do anything special except access the Penn networks on the site. I don't think facebook works like that anymore you can just put that you are attending Penn Law without having the email address to confirm it.

ETA: actually you are right you do need your email to access the network on facebook but you still can add to your timeline that you're attending penn law without it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:31 am

Just registered mine, but that doesn't give us access to our Penn e-mail yet, right? Also, is the Penn e-mail client user friendly, or am I going to want to stick to my g-mail?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed May 22, 2013 11:50 am

There is no Penn email client since there's no actual Penn law email account. It's just a forwarding service to your personal email.

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Fri May 24, 2013 9:22 am

Just got in off the waitlist and am going to PA sometime in the next week or two to check out the area and I was hoping I could get some apartment advice here:

What areas/regions around the school should I be looking? Are there apartment complexes that typically house a lot of UPenn Law students?

Is there reasonable parking near the law school if I wind up having to live a little further away?

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:54 pm

For this College Certification Form, is there any downside to not waiving your right to access the information provided? It doesn't inherently seem like there would be, but maybe I'm missing something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ibracadabra

New

Post by Ibracadabra » Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi everyone. What are my options for housing if I want to be within walking distance of the law school. I need the unit to be for 1 person and as affordable as possible. Should I be looking on or off campus? Any suggestions?
Last edited by Ibracadabra on Fri May 31, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 pm

dsn32 wrote:For this College Certification Form, is there any downside to not waiving your right to access the information provided? It doesn't inherently seem like there would be, but maybe I'm missing something.
Sorry, but what is the College Certification form you're referring to? I didn't receive anything like this.

BabyJT

New

Post by BabyJT » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:17 pm

testaker wrote:
dsn32 wrote:For this College Certification Form, is there any downside to not waiving your right to access the information provided? It doesn't inherently seem like there would be, but maybe I'm missing something.
Sorry, but what is the College Certification form you're referring to? I didn't receive anything like this.
It's on the site. Here is the link:
https://www.law.upenn.edu/admitted/jd/l ... /forms.php

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 am

BabyJT wrote:
testaker wrote:

Do we need that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 am

Gisney wrote:
BabyJT wrote:
testaker wrote:

Do we need that?
Yeah its required by orientation, much like some other schools (Duke comes to mind) had you submit when applying. What are everyone's thoughts on waiving the right to access? Any reason to do so?

bumblebeetuna

New

Post by bumblebeetuna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 am

Has Penn sent anyone the instructions for the loan application stuff yet?

I called a couple weeks ago and they said "we plan on sending something out this week" and I never got anything.

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:27 am

dsn32 wrote:
Gisney wrote: Do we need that?
Yeah its required by orientation, much like some other schools (Duke comes to mind) had you submit when applying. What are everyone's thoughts on waiving the right to access? Any reason to do so?

Hmmm I never sent one in before I got into Duke. They never said anything. Could it be for people who were still in school when y'all applied? Anywho I will call and ask to see if I need it

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am

bumblebeetuna wrote:Has Penn sent anyone the instructions for the loan application stuff yet?

I called a couple weeks ago and they said "we plan on sending something out this week" and I never got anything.

They sent an email two weeks ago I think? But it was basically fill out your FAFSA and then we will send you more info.

However, here is what I did, I went back to the page where the email about our scholly or need aide award directed is to. On that website you can go to a page that will show your awards or if you have none how much you need to borrow to pay for projected cost. Here you can play with it. Subtracting or adding as you might think you will need. Then you follow the instructions till you get to a page that has reminders for the next step which are promissory note and counseling but they are just reminders and once you read them it will log you out (you need to have your penn key btw I am pretty sure). The

I did this Sunday I think? Yesterday I got notification by snail mail that my aide was awarded with links to do the note and counseling. That is as far as I have gotten tho

Hope this helps! I will post a link later to the website. Just cannot get to it right now

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”