NYU Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 pm

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
GertrudeR wrote:Ok so I emailed the fin aid office to request an extension of the deposit deadline about a week ago and still no word. Just tried to call them and there were "no operators available" and then I was disconnected. Tried to call admissions and they couldn't really do anything....

Anyone else having similar struggles?


Weird, I just called them and talked to someone who was super nice and helpful about it all. Told me to email the admitted students email address (NYULaw-Admits@nyu.edu) to request an extension. It sounded like a lot of us are in similar situations and that there's a good chance we'll get extensions, but she also was not involved in the decision process for granting that, so, grain of salt, etc.


Interesting. I'm going to call this afternoon and ask about the status of my appeal. How long did you get an extension for?


I haven't emailed yet. I imagine they would get back to us before Monday?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
I haven't emailed yet. I imagine they would get back to us before Monday?


Oh sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully, haha. Are you still waiting on an appeal?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm

ph5354a wrote:Oh sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully, haha. Are you still waiting on an appeal?


I want to appeal, but I don't have my aid from CLS yet! I feel like I should wait? But obviously that becomes more problematic with each passing day...

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Oh sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully, haha. Are you still waiting on an appeal?


I want to appeal, but I don't have my aid from CLS yet! I feel like I should wait? But obviously that becomes more problematic with each passing day...


Oh that's annoying. I just called and they said that I *should* hear back about my appeal tomorrow, but even if I don't, the April 22 deadline is still in effect for me. I think I'll email to request an extension. I thought I would've heard by now, but I guess it's a good sign that they're giving it a consideration.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby risa » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm

finally got my official award notification today. accepted it immediately. It said that the 2013-2014 budget will be announced in June. Anyone have an idea how much it's traditionally gone up each year? I'm particularly interested in the room/board allowance and how much that is likely to change from last year's figure, as I'm trying to determine my rent budget.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm

I got my extension request granted as well. I specifically asked for it to be extended until April 26th and they granted me that.

ETA: I also have an appeal pending, so they may have been more sympathetic to my cause.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

I requested an extension until 5/1 and was given until 4/26.

C'mon CLS.....

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Can we all still be friends no matter who ends up at NYU or CLS?

GertrudeR
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby GertrudeR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Got through to fin aid, got an extension until 4/26 (asked for the regular deadline of 5/3). Worried that CLS won't have given me an aid decision before then...

Also I don't remember if I posted this but I had appealed my award of 62.5k with 75k at UChi and 120k at Duke and they wouldn't increase. :|

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm

GertrudeR wrote:Got through to fin aid, got an extension until 4/26 (asked for the regular deadline of 5/3). Worried that CLS won't have given me an aid decision before then...

Also I don't remember if I posted this but I had appealed my award of 62.5k with 75k at UChi and 120k at Duke and they wouldn't increase. :|


Ugh. This doesn't bode well for me. Though no increase from them will make for an easier decision on my part.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Tekrul » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 pm

ph5354a wrote:Can we all still be friends no matter who ends up at NYU or CLS?


HELLLLL NO!

First day of classes, NYU boys are coming up to Columbia with shaving cream, foam bats, air horns, and sharpie markers.

My undergrad ID still hasn't been deactivated and I have a fencing teammate in every dorm. NOBODY'S safe!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Tekrul wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Can we all still be friends no matter who ends up at NYU or CLS?


HELLLLL NO!

First day of classes, NYU boys are coming up to Columbia with shaving cream, foam bats, air horns, and sharpie markers.

My undergrad ID still hasn't been deactivated and I have a fencing teammate in every dorm. NOBODY'S safe!


Image

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby sinfiery » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Tekrul wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Can we all still be friends no matter who ends up at NYU or CLS?


HELLLLL NO!

First day of classes, NYU boys are coming up to Columbia with shaving cream, foam bats, air horns, and sharpie markers.

My undergrad ID still hasn't been deactivated and I have a fencing teammate in every dorm. NOBODY'S safe!

West side story all over again!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Tekrul wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Can we all still be friends no matter who ends up at NYU or CLS?


HELLLLL NO!

First day of classes, NYU boys are coming up to Columbia with shaving cream, foam bats, air horns, and sharpie markers.

My undergrad ID still hasn't been deactivated and I have a fencing teammate in every dorm. NOBODY'S safe!

we actually partied with Columbia the first week.
Dean's Cup? That's a different story

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm

I got my award increased to $50k (from $37k) using my $40k offer from Columbia. Worth negotiating with Columbia at all using the new NYU offer? NYU deadline for me is 4/26.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby sinfiery » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Can 1Ls play in the Deans cup?


Also, deposited this morning! Excited for the fall

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

sinfiery wrote:Can 1Ls play in the Deans cup?


Also, deposited this morning! Excited for the fall

absolutely (I hear CLS doesn't let you though) :twisted:

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby sinfiery » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:absolutely (I hear CLS doesn't let you though) :twisted:

Awesome! This will be what I gun for this summer.

bsinoff
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby bsinoff » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 am

sinfiery wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:absolutely (I hear CLS doesn't let you though) :twisted:

Awesome! This will be what I gun for this summer.


+1

Jam, is there anything you would suggest I read this summer to increase my chances of making the Dean's cup team?

About how competitive is it? I mean I think I got game but unfortunately I don't have much of it. Also what softs are important for joining the NYU team? I hear it isn't all about numbers

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Tekrul » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 am

bsinoff wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:absolutely (I hear CLS doesn't let you though) :twisted:

Awesome! This will be what I gun for this summer.


+1

Jam, is there anything you would suggest I read this summer to increase my chances of making the Dean's cup team?

About how competitive is it? I mean I think I got game but unfortunately I don't have much of it. Also what softs are important for joining the NYU team? I hear it isn't all about numbers


You have to provide more info.

First, are you urm?

Any WE? Time in the NBA would help. Don't bother mentioning any foreign leagues.

How many times have you taken the LSAT? Retake numbers are highly correlated with free throw percentage.

permapress
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby permapress » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am

has nyu been matching schollies from chicago? i sent in my scholarship offer from chicago a few days ago and just received my nyu scholarship, but it's significantly lower (like 40k lower) so i'm surprised. not sure what more i can do in this situation tho.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am

bsinoff wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:absolutely (I hear CLS doesn't let you though) :twisted:

Awesome! This will be what I gun for this summer.


+1

Jam, is there anything you would suggest I read this summer to increase my chances of making the Dean's cup team?

About how competitive is it? I mean I think I got game but unfortunately I don't have much of it. Also what softs are important for joining the NYU team? I hear it isn't all about numbers


I think it's just an open tryout.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Sooo is there a trick to saving the NYU award letter without the password protection so I can attach it to an email?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:37 pm

ph5354a wrote:Sooo is there a trick to saving the NYU award letter without the password protection so I can attach it to an email?

can you save it as a PDF? If not, screenshot?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Sooo is there a trick to saving the NYU award letter without the password protection so I can attach it to an email?

can you save it as a PDF? If not, screenshot?


Ah right, I'll do a screenshot, thanks.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest