NYU Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
JamMasterJ

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:00 pm

lsacqueen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:trains in NY are all bad at night or on weekends, but yeah it's definitely more pronounced between the boroughs than just uptown/downtown. Also, if you're desperate and its 4am, you can get from the Village to the Upper East/West side for 15 bucks in a cab, which, although not a great thing to do regularly, is a bit better than doing the same thing to BK.

On the commute in general, there is definitely a downside. For instance, I don't go down for free pizza or as many extracurricular things as I otherwise would, but if you have your own life going on outside of LS, it's not bad at all. And it's definitely not bad enough to be a disruption with regard to class. I haven't missed any classes this semester.

Are trains just bad late-night or like 8pm and later? I'm not from NYC, and know pretty much no one, so I would prefer to be closer to the LS my first year for social reasons. On the other hand, if you think the commute isn't a big disruption for class or during the day, that's also something to consider. I need to rent an affordable apartment and that's not looking likely in the city.

think more like midnight. I'm usually not commuting in the block between 11-1 or so, but it seems before that block trains are fine, and after they get spotty.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:12 pm

New Yorkers are spoiled with 24/7 subway. Not complaining though, having been a New Yorker for most of my childhood....

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah, New Yorkers certainly have a sweet setup with their public transport. How much does a monthly pass run you? And if it just gets spotty after midnight, I guess I'd probably stick to going out in Brooklyn rather than travel between boroughs at night.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Rates are going up soon, after which it'll be $125 per month.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:30 am

Swimp wrote:Rates are going up soon, after which it'll be $125 per month.

that's bullshit. 104 right now

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 am

lsacqueen wrote:Yeah, New Yorkers certainly have a sweet setup with their public transport. How much does a monthly pass run you? And if it just gets spotty after midnight, I guess I'd probably stick to going out in Brooklyn rather than travel between boroughs at night.

Don't be discouraged if you'd like to live in Brooklyn. Just make sure you live along a major train line such as the NRQ or JMZ. Trains run quite frequently late night (think every 15-20 mins).

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

Mta passed a rate hike. It'll be 112 in march

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am

vzapana wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

UGH.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 am

vzapana wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Well what do you know, you're right. I guess there was too much backlash against the $125 idea (which was a thing--you can google it if you don't believe me).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 am

Swimp wrote:
vzapana wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Well what do you know, you're right. I guess there was too much backlash against the $125 idea (which was a thing--you can google it if you don't believe me).

Oh, no I believed you, just mad. I knew they were raising the individual ride rate but I hadn't heard about the monthly going up :evil:

At least if you think about it, I pay the same for MTA passes as I used to pay for car insurance, not counting the costs of gas, maintenance, and the original purchase. So at least from that perspective, it's a good situation.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I applied recently. Wish me luck, guys!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=200598

Anyone making the decision whether to come here let us know. I think we have a decent amount of collective knowledge wrt NYU vs other schools

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:49 am

JamMasterJ wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=200598

Anyone making the decision whether to come here let us know. I think we have a decent amount of collective knowledge wrt NYU vs other schools

First off, congrats to all NYU admits! I know I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to attend.

Unless Harvard comes in with a miraculous "Yes," it looks like (for mostly financial reasons) my choices are coming down to NYU v. Berkeley. I'm leaning heavily toward NYU at this point!

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:45 am

tyler.durden wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=200598

First off, congrats to all NYU admits! I know I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to attend.

Unless Harvard comes in with a miraculous "Yes," it looks like (for mostly financial reasons) my choices are coming down to NYU v. Berkeley. I'm leaning heavily toward NYU at this point!

That would be a no-brainer for me, but I much prefer NYC's climate and energy to that of a place like Berkeley. Strange, maybe, but what can I say? Good luck with the decision.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 am

tyler.durden wrote:

You really have to think hard about where you want to practice / live after LS

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:38 am

alex.feuerman wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:

yeah this should be about 90% of what that decision is based on with similar cost of attending

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:52 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
alex.feuerman wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:

yeah this should be about 90% of what that decision is based on with similar cost of attending

Thanks guys, that's really what it comes down to. Tuition will be the same with the GI Bill, cost of living slightly higher in NYC (i think) but my fiance has better possibility of transferring within her company to NYC area, which would likely more than offset this. I used to live in California and loved it, and I've always thought I'd return permanently since we both have family connections in the Bay Area. However, from what I've been reading, BigLaw prospects appear much better in NYC.... Tuff decision, though I'm grateful to be facing this kind of dilemma!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I want to be in this class so baaaad. Love me. Pick me. Choose me.

cornking

Postby cornking » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Anybody else get their NYU "pizza-box" in the mail today? I'm in BK, so don't worry if you haven't got yours yet :)

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 pm

sokomofo wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:

i'm also debating nyu vs berkeley... this is so difficult! i think i'm leaning a little bit toward berkeley, because i really wanna live/practice in california. i went to undergrad at nyu and i only had an okay time there, and i didnt like the city as much as i thought i would. i know nyu law is vastly different from nyu undergrad, but i would totally welcome a change of scenery. and there's a lot to be said about attending a law school in the area where you want to practice, especially if you dont have ties (which i dont - im international)

but then again, nyu's employment statistics are much better... hm. my preferences are:

CA big law > CA mid/small law > NY big law

would nyu's placement stats still be better than berkeley's if we take into account CA mid/small law placement as well? or maybe i should post this on a berkeley thread haha

The real question is whether law job >>>>>>>> being in CA or if law job > being in CA. Your chance at getting a job/a good job are higher from NYU than from B but not as much as you seem to indicate. I'd tell you that we have a pretty strong presence in CA but without prior ties to the region, I don't think that is going to be very helpful.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

sokomofo wrote:i see thanks for your input! as a 1L, do you know of anyone who were successful in getting a CA job with no ties?

Too early to tell, as far as our class goes. But the only people I know looking for CA work are people from there.

brownsugar

Postby brownsugar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 am

As a 2L, I can note that most of the people looking at CA during OCI (or EIW as we call it) had ties. The CA markets are weird, and I certainly can't say what would happen there with no ties. I only know one person who was looking without being from CA, and while they got a job, they were also a strong candidate for several reasons.

For my own biased part, what I will say is that the conventional wisdom (and I do believe this holds true) is that it's much easier to lateral from NY to CA (or anywhere for that matter) than the other way around, and NYU's placement in NYC is unmatched. I also think no ties as an international student is a slightly different game than no ties as somebody who may have grown up and never left the Northeast, and there's at least an argument to be made that this should be treated differently.

That being said, B's placement is strong. They would know better than we would what they'd be looking at.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”