NYU Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 pm

got my award today, 37.5k.

need based aid might be a flame.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:46 pm

az21833 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Congrats to the new scholarship money! Did any of you also apply to a named scholarship?

In terms of negotiating, I think your best bet is if you have other offers from T14, you could use those to negotiate something from NYU, though I'm sure they wouldn't match anything below the T6. It's worth a shot though.


anything on your end ph? nothing here


Nope nothing here yet. It has to happen sometime...right?

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 pm

helix23 wrote:got my award today, 37.5k.

need based aid might be a flame.



that's what you got for all three years combined?

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
helix23 wrote:got my award today, 37.5k.

need based aid might be a flame.



that's what you got for all three years combined?


yeeep

User avatar
dolfan17
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby dolfan17 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 pm

marshal26 wrote:Anyone know how flexible NYU is in negotiation aid? I just got my award today for $0 wondering if that's likely final or if its possible to negotiate a little $.



+1. I'm really interested in NYU but sticker is scary.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby az21833 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm

ph5354a wrote:
az21833 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Congrats to the new scholarship money! Did any of you also apply to a named scholarship?

In terms of negotiating, I think your best bet is if you have other offers from T14, you could use those to negotiate something from NYU, though I'm sure they wouldn't match anything below the T6. It's worth a shot though.


anything on your end ph? nothing here


Nope nothing here yet. It has to happen sometime...right?


lol can we withdraw our consideraiton for named scholly and just get our money?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm

az21833 wrote:
lol can we withdraw our consideraiton for named scholly and just get our money?


That sounds like an excellent plan. It may be the only way we ever hear about money...

User avatar
dcg2120
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby dcg2120 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm

ph5354a wrote:
az21833 wrote:
lol can we withdraw our consideraiton for named scholly and just get our money?


That sounds like an excellent plan. It may be the only way we ever hear about money...

he's just trying get rid of the competition...

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:04 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
az21833 wrote:
lol can we withdraw our consideraiton for named scholly and just get our money?


That sounds like an excellent plan. It may be the only way we ever hear about money...

he's just trying get rid of the competition...


Hah, I don't think we applied for the same scholly, but that would be a genius plan...

andreskicdo
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby andreskicdo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 pm

honestly is it too much to ask to get an update on AnBryce and Jacobson. I just want to know!

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby joiedevivre18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:11 pm

andreskicdo wrote:honestly is it too much to ask to get an update on AnBryce and Jacobson. I just want to know!


Did you apply for both??

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby 02889 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:12 pm

andreskicdo wrote:honestly is it too much to ask to get an update on AnBryce and Jacobson. I just want to know!

+1 for RTK. I know I'm ridiculous for saying so given my position below both medians, but since I got in before they've sent out invites, I can't help but be curious!

andreskicdo
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby andreskicdo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, I applied to both. No word on anything though...

firstimer
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby firstimer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Money will almost be the biggest factor in my decision, so I called NYU a couple of days ago to check on financial aid (had submitted all the paperwork and had been listed as "in final stages", and applied for a named scholarship program as well). The financial aid office told me that they wouldn't release my award (if any) as long as my application was still being considered for a named scholarship program.

They also said that some of the named scholarship committees should start notifying finalists in a couple of weeks. The person made it sound like the potential award amount was already determined (again, not sure if I even got anything), so it wasn't like applying for a named scholarship hurt one's candidacy for regular merit based aid.

Hope that clears things up for some people in a similar situation.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:39 pm

firstimer wrote:Money will almost be the biggest factor in my decision, so I called NYU a couple of days ago to check on financial aid (had submitted all the paperwork and had been listed as "in final stages", and applied for a named scholarship program as well). The financial aid office told me that they wouldn't release my award (if any) as long as my application was still being considered for a named scholarship program.

They also said that some of the named scholarship committees should start notifying finalists in a couple of weeks. The person made it sound like the potential award amount was already determined (again, not sure if I even got anything), so it wasn't like applying for a named scholarship hurt one's candidacy for regular merit based aid.

Hope that clears things up for some people in a similar situation.


Really good to know --thanks for reporting back!! Also makes me contemplate hacking into their financial aid files to find out what my award would be regardless of the named scholarship...

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby bbsg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 pm

AnBryce finalist emails have begun going out. Got mine this evening.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 pm

bbsg wrote:AnBryce finalist emails have begun going out. Got mine this evening.


Congrats! Seems like you're the only one reporting so far.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm

AnBryce Scholarship Interviewees: Please do not hesitate to reach out to us once you get the contact form; we are thrilled to meet and chat with all of you.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Just got the housing email. The absolute cheapest NYU housing option is about $1,400 a month in D'Ag for a bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment (dorm), and two thirds of incoming students really choose campus housing? That seems crazy! It's possible I'll feel differently after trying to find an apartment in the craziness that is the NYC rental market, but still, rent in NYU housing feels kind of too absurd to be an option.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

02889 wrote:Just got the housing email. The absolute cheapest NYU housing option is about $1,400 a month in D'Ag, and two thirds of incoming students really choose campus housing? That seems crazy! It's possible I'll feel differently after trying to find an apartment in the craziness that is the NYC rental market, but still, rent in NYU housing feels kind of too absurd to be an option.


Without sharing a bedroom (not apartment), that's a really good deal in the Village. From what I've seen, you'd have to go to Brooklyn or UES/UWS/Harlem to get rates like that off-campus.

ETA: Also, purely from a logistics standpoint, the convenience of on-campus housing is worth any premium that you pay, not just being close to campus, but also not having to deal with the ass-ache of finding an apartment in NYC before living there is a huge plus, given the fact that brokers/landlords will find a million reasons not to rent to students or make them pay additional months rent up front. That said, I'm doing off-campus because I have a dog, but if I weren't entirely emotionally dependent on him, then I would definitely do on-campus for the first year.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 pm

ph5354a wrote:
02889 wrote:Just got the housing email. The absolute cheapest NYU housing option is about $1,400 a month in D'Ag, and two thirds of incoming students really choose campus housing? That seems crazy! It's possible I'll feel differently after trying to find an apartment in the craziness that is the NYC rental market, but still, rent in NYU housing feels kind of too absurd to be an option.


Without sharing a bedroom (not apartment), that's a really good deal in the Village. From what I've seen, you'd have to go to Brooklyn or UES/UWS/Harlem to get rates like that off-campus.

ETA: Also, purely from a logistics standpoint, the convenience of on-campus housing is worth any premium that you pay, not just being close to campus, but also not having to deal with the ass-ache of finding an apartment in NYC before living there is a huge plus, given the fact that brokers/landlords will find a million reasons not to rent to students or make them pay additional months rent up front. That said, I'm doing off-campus because I have a dog, but if I weren't entirely emotionally dependent on him, then I would definitely do on-campus for the first year.

I do understand your point, but I think saving $500-600 a month (or $4,500-5,400 per school year) and not having to worry about looking for and moving into a new apartment shortly after spring semester finals is worth the investment of time this spring/summer in finding an apartment in Brooklyn, Astoria, or somewhere else that is not very inconvenient or expensive. Hopefully this isn't just naivete.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:27 pm

02889 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
02889 wrote:Just got the housing email. The absolute cheapest NYU housing option is about $1,400 a month in D'Ag, and two thirds of incoming students really choose campus housing? That seems crazy! It's possible I'll feel differently after trying to find an apartment in the craziness that is the NYC rental market, but still, rent in NYU housing feels kind of too absurd to be an option.


Without sharing a bedroom (not apartment), that's a really good deal in the Village. From what I've seen, you'd have to go to Brooklyn or UES/UWS/Harlem to get rates like that off-campus.

ETA: Also, purely from a logistics standpoint, the convenience of on-campus housing is worth any premium that you pay, not just being close to campus, but also not having to deal with the ass-ache of finding an apartment in NYC before living there is a huge plus, given the fact that brokers/landlords will find a million reasons not to rent to students or make them pay additional months rent up front. That said, I'm doing off-campus because I have a dog, but if I weren't entirely emotionally dependent on him, then I would definitely do on-campus for the first year.

I do understand your point, but I think saving $500-600 a month (or $4,500-5,400 per school year) and not having to worry about looking for and moving into a new apartment shortly after spring semester finals is worth the investment of time this spring/summer in finding an apartment in Brooklyn, Astoria, or somewhere else that is not very inconvenient or expensive. Hopefully this isn't just naivete.


Yeah, I didn't consider the summer break aspect. I definitely think living off-campus can be much more enjoyable, it's the finding the apartment part that terrifies me :oops:

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:29 pm

ph5354a wrote:Yeah, I didn't consider the summer break aspect. I definitely think living off-campus can be much more enjoyable, it's the finding the apartment part that terrifies me :oops:

I'm with you there. I have friends in NYC who I will be harassing with questions about how to find an apartment as we get closer in time. They just don't realize it yet.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:31 pm

02889 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Yeah, I didn't consider the summer break aspect. I definitely think living off-campus can be much more enjoyable, it's the finding the apartment part that terrifies me :oops:

I'm with you there. I have friends in NYC who I will be harassing with questions about how to find an apartment as we get closer in time. They just don't realize it yet.


+1

I have vague acquaintances that aren't even really my friends that I will be harassing with questions and they don't even know it yet. No rules in New York real estate, amiright?

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 pm

It's also worth considering parts of NJ along the PATH. Relatively cheap, commuter-friendly housing is available there. Honestly, though, there's an argument to be made for paying the premium near campus. Here's a spoiler for all the K-JDs out there: it's really, really hard to meet people as an adult, even in NYC, and living very far away can feel a little isolating. You can't just study until 11 on Friday evening, hop in the shower, and go out for drinks; you have to plan trips into the city in advance, and often plan your trip back as well. If you live far out (say, in Bayonne) you might have to coordinate bus schedules on top of train schedules. And think about how nice it would be to run home to D'Ag or Mercer and take a 15 minute nap after classes end for the day. If you have a 40 minute subway ride each way, that option is not really available. I think there are great reasons to live near law school, at least during 1L, but at the same time I cannot stomach $1400 per month when I don't even have an income. Very tough spot to be in.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest