NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
joiedevivre18

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by joiedevivre18 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:45 am

one_by_one wrote:
az21833 wrote:so is consensus if ive waited a couple weeks since need-based and no $$$ that im going to be interviewed for the named scholly i applied for? or is this false hope
I wouldn't be that optimistic. I'm thinking that the Financial Aid Office won't email any named scholly applicants until the Scholarship Committee gets back to them with a list of finalists/interviewees.
My understanding from talking to current NYU students and alumni is that the admissions office will send the scholarship committees a pre-screened list of candidates, then the scholarship committee will decide who they want to interview, and then send out notifications to these finalists.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:28 am

joiedevivre18 wrote:
one_by_one wrote:
az21833 wrote:so is consensus if ive waited a couple weeks since need-based and no $$$ that im going to be interviewed for the named scholly i applied for? or is this false hope
I wouldn't be that optimistic. I'm thinking that the Financial Aid Office won't email any named scholly applicants until the Scholarship Committee gets back to them with a list of finalists/interviewees.
My understanding from talking to current NYU students and alumni is that the admissions office will send the scholarship committees a pre-screened list of candidates, then the scholarship committee will decide who they want to interview, and then send out notifications to these finalists.
That's what I've heard too. Az, I'm being optimistic for the same reason, since I too submitted need access weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. It may be false hope, but for now I'll take what I can get. Hopefully we hear one way or another soon!

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 am

Okay, so I'm officially an idiot and applied for the IILJ but submitted a merit-aid FAAPS app form instead of a need-based FAAPS app form. Now, when I log onto the FAAPS website, they won't let me change my application or submit a new one.

Thoughts?

Also, when do we hear about scholarships?

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:07 am

Also, will they not even process my IILJ scholarship application until I've completed the Need Access?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 am

shakespeare wrote:Also, will they not even process my IILJ scholarship application until I've completed the Need Access?
I don't know what you mean by FAAPS, but yeah, you need to do Need Access. From what I've seen on ASW, the named scholarships are not dependent on Need Access at this point, so you're still eligible to be selected for an interview, but you still need to do need access before they finalize your scholarship package. So, the fact that you haven't done need access isn't holding up your IILJ application (from what I've read), but you need to do it eventually.

ETA: I can't find the language that I'm thinking of on ASW, so to be safe, I would fill out Need Access asap. You can probably email NYU's Financial Aid (they've been pretty responsive so far) to figure it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 am

ph5354a wrote:
shakespeare wrote:Also, will they not even process my IILJ scholarship application until I've completed the Need Access?
I don't know what you mean by FAAPS, but yeah, you need to do Need Access. From what I've seen on ASW, the named scholarships are not dependent on Need Access at this point, so you're still eligible to be selected for an interview, but you still need to do need access before they finalize your scholarship package. So, the fact that you haven't done need access isn't holding up your IILJ application (from what I've read), but you need to do it eventually.

ETA: I can't find the language that I'm thinking of on ASW, so to be safe, I would fill out Need Access asap. You can probably email NYU's Financial Aid (they've been pretty responsive so far) to figure it out.

Thanks for the prompt reply! This is very helpful!

I've just sent them an email.
Two follow-ups:
1) Is this the Need Access form I'd need to fill out?:
http://www.needaccess.org/Students/Student.aspx
2) In case you're wondering, FAAPS:
https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

What the difference is between FAAPS and Need Access and how they process each, I have no idea. But if you haven't done so, I'd fill out the FAAPS to be considered for additional funding.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am

shakespeare wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply! This is very helpful!

I've just sent them an email.
Two follow-ups:
1) Is this the Need Access form I'd need to fill out?:
http://www.needaccess.org/Students/Student.aspx
2) In case you're wondering, FAAPS:

What the difference is between FAAPS and Need Access and how they process each, I have no idea. But if you haven't done so, I'd fill out the FAAPS to be considered for additional funding.
Yup, that's the correct link. You'll need parental information, other than that it's pretty straightforward. NYU only needs Need Access and your FAFSA for merit and need aid. I believe FAAPS is just their internal processing system. When I logged in with the link you gave me above, it said that my application was complete, and I have never even seen that site before. I don't think it's a separate application.

Also, in FAAPS, it says "If you applied for one of our named scholarship programs through the admissions process and such program requires an interview, we encourage you to complete the Need Access application prior to the scheduled interview", so that answers your question :D

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks so much!
That makes so much more sense now. So, I'll complete the Need Access, hope it makes up for my incomplete FAAPS, and then I'll be done. Yay! :)

I just can't believe I have to pay another $28 when I've paid so much for law schools apps already. :(

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am

shakespeare wrote: 2) In case you're wondering, FAAPS:
This is an amazing site though, and I don't know why I had never seen it before. It actually gives me the status updates of my application and says that it's "in the final stages of review" which is exciting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 am

shakespeare wrote: I just can't believe I have to pay another $28 when I've paid so much for law schools apps already. :(
I know...there's something very poetic about making someone pay to apply for financial aid.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

ph5354a wrote:
shakespeare wrote: I just can't believe I have to pay another $28 when I've paid so much for law schools apps already. :(
I know...there's something very poetic about making someone pay to apply for financial aid.
Not quite the word I'd use, but yeah.

ellieo444

New

Post by ellieo444 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 am

I'm planning on going to the NYU Law Women's Alumnae Event this Wednesday! I saw someone posted about it earlier - you won't be the only 0L! Does anyone know, is it sort of a cocktail event? Will I look ridiculous if I am coming directly from my office and therefore not casually dressed?

h_jane_w

New

Post by h_jane_w » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm probably wearing a suit because I'm coming from the office and since it's a wednesday I'm guessing we won't be the only ones. I might try to wear like...a sweater with work pants to be more casual.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm

ellieo444 wrote:I'm planning on going to the NYU Law Women's Alumnae Event this Wednesday! I saw someone posted about it earlier - you won't be the only 0L! Does anyone know, is it sort of a cocktail event? Will I look ridiculous if I am coming directly from my office and therefore not casually dressed?
most of that stuff is generally business/business casual

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 pm

My FAAPS status is already set at "application in final stages of review." I submitted Need Access on the 7th of last week. How is it possible that they got through it so fast? Am I headed for the rejection pile?

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

all you need is fafsa and need right? what is this FAAPs non-sense.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:14 pm

az21833 wrote:all you need is fafsa and need right? what is this FAAPs non-sense.

See the convo above. It's not an application, it's just NYU's internal financial aid processing site. You can log on and track the status of your application.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vividviolin

New

Post by vividviolin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

I got an email saying I'm an IILJ finalist this morning. :shock: Of the scholarships I applied for, that wasn't one I was particularly sanguine about. Any other IILJ (or other named schollies) finalists out there this morning?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 pm

vividviolin wrote:I got an email saying I'm an IILJ finalist this morning. :shock: Of the scholarships I applied for, that wasn't one I was particularly sanguine about. Any other IILJ (or other named schollies) finalists out there this morning?
No email yet for me :( What time did they go out? Last year they seemed to trickle out over a few weeks so I won't light myself on fire quite yet.

ETA: I realized I forgot to say congrats :D

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 pm

vividviolin wrote:I got an email saying I'm an IILJ finalist this morning. :shock: Of the scholarships I applied for, that wasn't one I was particularly sanguine about. Any other IILJ (or other named schollies) finalists out there this morning?
Got one here...I hope to God the other finalists don't have your stats.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
Got one here...I hope to God the other finalists don't have your stats.
Congrats to you too! You both have amazing stats so I guess I'm not surprised I wasn't contacted today. I would be honored to be their back-up plan though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks! I'm pretty psyched. I'm sure that you'll be contacted soon, ph!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 pm

dcg2120 wrote:Thanks! I'm pretty psyched. I'm sure that you'll be contacted soon, ph!
Those words are music to my ears! If possible, I'd love to know more about some of the IR-related softs you have (you too, vivid) if you want to PM me. I have some decent softs but it was hard to tell what they were looking for with this one since the criteria was a little vague.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm

anybody else apply for jacobson?

vividviolin

New

Post by vividviolin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks! The email went out at 10:45am EST for me.

Just as a heads-up for those of you in the running who may be making travel plans: there's no formal interview, but finalists need to go to the March ASW (with special programming on Wednesday). There's a phone interview option if you can't make the ASW, but they are providing up to $300 for transportation expenses...

Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”