NYU Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

No pizza box yet. Eagerly checking my mail every day!

I think the new 3L program is really interesting in theory - especially since I'm interested in international law and would like the opportunity to study abroad. I'm curious to see how the implementation process goes as I imagine it will take a while to get the kinks out of such a new program.

User avatar
Jpreece59
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Jpreece59 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

housebro13 wrote:
Jpreece59 wrote:Checking in, got accepted today!

I've been listening to Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z ever since.


:shock: We should be friends lol


Sounds good. Let's be friends 8)

Scrambles84
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Scrambles84 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

alldabest13 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/opinion/practicing-law-should-not-mean-living-in-bankruptcy.html?hp

Interesting article about making 3L year optional, not sure when it would occur if agreed upon. What do you guys think?


Wish it would occur while we were there but I doubt it. Would love to see it become an optional year. I haven't talked to any graduates or students who think that the 3L year was particularly valuable.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 am

Scrambles84 wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/opinion/practicing-law-should-not-mean-living-in-bankruptcy.html?hp

Interesting article about making 3L year optional, not sure when it would occur if agreed upon. What do you guys think?


Wish it would occur while we were there but I doubt it. Would love to see it become an optional year. I haven't talked to any graduates or students who think that the 3L year was particularly valuable.


I'm not entirely clear on this, but I believe the proposal allows people to take the bar after 2L, but it doesn't mean that they would be awarded a JD after two years of education. I can't really imagine myself being so desperate to jump into the work place that I would take advantage of it without finishing law school, but I'm sure for some it makes financial sense. In particular, it could help solve the problem of new lawyers being unable to take low-paying jobs in low-income areas because of their debt. Either way, the proposal does put pressure on law schools to make 3L more valuable, since they would face the prospect of students being able to leave after 2L, which would definitely work in our favor. Luckily, NYU has already started to address this problem (see the article below if you guys haven't already read it) which we will be able to take advantage of.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/ ... hird-year/

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Just got my pizza box!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 pm

chickpea wrote:Just got my pizza box!

Jealous! How long is this after your acceptance? I'm still waiting on my letter, which is fine because I still have to get a frame for it anyways :D

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 pm

ph5354a wrote:
chickpea wrote:Just got my pizza box!

Jealous! How long is this after your acceptance? I'm still waiting on my letter, which is fine because I still have to get a frame for it anyways :D


Haha love it. I was accepted last Thursday and I think I got the letter on Monday. Hope yours arrives soon!

housebro13
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby housebro13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 pm

chickpea wrote:Just got my pizza box!


Me too!!!! It looked a lot bigger on the picture posted here a couple pages ago. I'm still in shock I was accepted. I've wanted to go to NYU for a few years now.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm

housebro13 wrote:
chickpea wrote:Just got my pizza box!


Me too!!!! It looked a lot bigger on the picture posted here a couple pages ago. I'm still in shock I was accepted. I've wanted to go to NYU for a few years now.


I'm getting so excited about NYU reading all this stuff! So many amazing professors, clinic opportunities, journals, etc. Also, every single NYU Law grad I've met has absolutely raved about their experience at the school -- this seems to be pretty unusual since most other lawyers I meet tell me how much they hated their law school experience and try to talk me out of going.

estamosjuntos
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby estamosjuntos » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 am

Another reason I can't wait to attend NYU Law... professors like this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/bryan_stevenso ... stice.html

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm

estamosjuntos wrote:Another reason I can't wait to attend NYU Law... professors like this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/bryan_stevenso ... stice.html


Wow, such a great talk. The Equal Justice Initiative is an amazing organization. I had no idea the founder was an NYU prof!

brownsugar
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby brownsugar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

For what it's worth, Stevenson gives a fuller version of this talk every fall at NYU, and it's one of the better things I've ever heard in person. I know people who just go every year to hear it repeatedly because it's just one of those things.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm

brownsugar wrote:For what it's worth, Stevenson gives a fuller version of this talk every fall at NYU, and it's one of the better things I've ever heard in person. I know people who just go every year to hear it repeatedly because it's just one of those things.


Oh wow that's so cool! Looking forward to hearing the extended version.

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby moneyball026 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 am

Anyone out there applying for the Leadership Program in Law and Business (or current students reading this thread currently in it)? I've heard very little chatter about it (i.e. interview dates, scholarship $, # of accepts/applicants) but it seems like an awesome program.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Anyone other female admits out there planning on going to the NYU Law Women's alumnae reception? I'm looking forward to the opportunity to talk to some current students/professors/alumnae but am also nervous I'll be the only 0L there.

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Swimp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

chickpea wrote:Anyone other female admits out there planning on going to the NYU Law Women's alumnae reception? I'm looking forward to the opportunity to talk to some current students/professors/alumnae but am also nervous I'll be the only 0L there.


I'm male, but I would think being one of only a few 0Ls at an event like that wouldn't be so bad. I'm sure many of the students and grads would welcome the chance to talk to a 0L and sound authoritative about something.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Swimp wrote:
chickpea wrote:Anyone other female admits out there planning on going to the NYU Law Women's alumnae reception? I'm looking forward to the opportunity to talk to some current students/professors/alumnae but am also nervous I'll be the only 0L there.


I'm male, but I would think being one of only a few 0Ls at an event like that wouldn't be so bad. I'm sure many of the students and grads would welcome the chance to talk to a 0L and sound authoritative about something.



Yes, you're probably right. I guess I'm just a bit intimidated.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm

chickpea wrote:
Swimp wrote:
chickpea wrote:Anyone other female admits out there planning on going to the NYU Law Women's alumnae reception? I'm looking forward to the opportunity to talk to some current students/professors/alumnae but am also nervous I'll be the only 0L there.


I'm male, but I would think being one of only a few 0Ls at an event like that wouldn't be so bad. I'm sure many of the students and grads would welcome the chance to talk to a 0L and sound authoritative about something.



Yes, you're probably right. I guess I'm just a bit intimidated.

From an admissions perspective, you should feel the exact opposite (though I totally understand). Since you're still a perspective student, everyone will essentially be fawning over you and wanting to make it as enjoyable as possible. I would definitely go too if I were in the NYC area, but alas, I am not.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm

True, true. I'm definitely planning to go - just feeling slightly nervous about it I guess. I'm sure it will be a fun time though. Everyone I've met so far who goes/went to NYU Law is really great!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Just bought my bus ticket to New York for ASW on April 4. Can't wait to see the campus, providing megabus doesn't kill me first.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 pm

ph5354a wrote:Just bought my bus ticket to New York for ASW on April 4. Can't wait to see the campus, providing megabus doesn't kill me first.


Uh, Megabus is the worst. Just packing up to get on one right now.

The NYU campus is awesome though so any Megabus-related suffering you have to endure in order to get here is totally worth it :)
Last edited by chickpea on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm

chickpea wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Just bought my bus ticket to New York for ASW on April 4. Can't wait to see the campus, providing megabus doesn't kill me first.


Uh, Megabus is the worst. Just packing up to get on one right now :p

Godspeed. Dream of a world in which we can all afford to take the Amtrak Acela everywhere we go.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm

ph5354a wrote:
chickpea wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Just bought my bus ticket to New York for ASW on April 4. Can't wait to see the campus, providing megabus doesn't kill me first.


Uh, Megabus is the worst. Just packing up to get on one right now :p

Godspeed. Dream of a world in which we can all afford to take the Amtrak Acela everywhere we go.


+1

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby maggielizer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

chickpea wrote:Anyone other female admits out there planning on going to the NYU Law Women's alumnae reception? I'm looking forward to the opportunity to talk to some current students/professors/alumnae but am also nervous I'll be the only 0L there.


Not going due to travel expenses, but wish I could! I agree with what the posters above said -- they'll be wanting to impress you, not the other way around (plenty of time for that once law school starts for reals...).

User avatar
h_jane_w
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby h_jane_w » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm going. Personally I'd be pretty pleased if I was the only 0L there. More chances to make connections and meet people and professors before the other 0Ls, no?

There will probably be plenty of 0Ls though.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest