NYU Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
brownsugar
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby brownsugar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

estamosjuntos wrote:Question: If you're an admitted ED applicant, how worth it is coming from out-of-state to an Admitted Students Day event? Will it just be them selling me more on something I've already bought into?

If you want to see what it's actually like, there is at least a little of that. A lot of the events will probably be useless for you, but it's not like attendance is checked. You will be able to spend a decent amount of time exploring the city if you want (if that's something that's useful to you). You'll also get to meet people that you know you're going to be going to school with (current 1Ls and 2Ls, and there will be other ED admits there).

That being said, if finances are tight or trying to get off work is going to be difficult, most of your questions can probably be answered remotely if you have any. (Use the group!)

zabava
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby zabava » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Anyone going to the SF event for admits?

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby wisteria » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Got an invite to attend the LA admitted students event. They ask whether I'm bringing a guest, so I'm wondering if it will be weird to bring my husband. Since spouses are in this ride together and any decisions will affect their life/career as well, I feel like he should be there too. But then again I don't want to be the only one bringing a guest. :)

brownsugar
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby brownsugar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Close family guests I don't think are going to be weird at all. (At least, not until your mother falls asleep during a class sit-in and starts snoring...which did happen to somebody my year.) If it's just a reception, I think they're kind of expecting people to bring spouses.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm

wisteria wrote:Got an invite to attend the LA admitted students event. They ask whether I'm bringing a guest, so I'm wondering if it will be weird to bring my husband. Since spouses are in this ride together and any decisions will affect their life/career as well, I feel like he should be there too. But then again I don't want to be the only one bringing a guest. :)

Not weird at all. My wife came to a decent chunk of orientation. Some of my friends like her more than they like me now haha

grapefruits
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby grapefruits » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm

How does one get on the basketball team?

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby wisteria » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 am

brownsugar wrote:Close family guests I don't think are going to be weird at all. (At least, not until your mother falls asleep during a class sit-in and starts snoring...which did happen to somebody my year.) If it's just a reception, I think they're kind of expecting people to bring spouses.


JamMasterJ wrote:Not weird at all. My wife came to a decent chunk of orientation. Some of my friends like her more than they like me now haha


Thanks!

Scrambles84
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Scrambles84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 am

zabava wrote:Anyone going to the SF event for admits?


Barring impending admission to Harvard or Stanford, I'll be there. Will probably put in an RSVP this week anyway.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Officially in today! Excited to no longer have to wonder if posting in this thread is a jinx to my chances. :D :D :D

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 pm

ph5354a wrote:Officially in today! Excited to no longer have to wonder if posting in this thread is a jinx to my chances. :D :D :D


Congrats! Are you coming to ASW?

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread (and the FB group) become more active as the acceptances continue to roll in.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

chickpea wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Officially in today! Excited to no longer have to wonder if posting in this thread is a jinx to my chances. :D :D :D


Congrats! Are you coming to ASW?

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread (and the FB group) become more active as the acceptances continue to roll in.

Definitely! Probably to one of the April ASW, most likely April 4/5. What about you? Also, is there a link to the fb group?

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm

ph5354a wrote:
chickpea wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Officially in today! Excited to no longer have to wonder if posting in this thread is a jinx to my chances. :D :D :D


Congrats! Are you coming to ASW?

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread (and the FB group) become more active as the acceptances continue to roll in.

Definitely! Probably to one of the April ASW, most likely April 4/5. What about you? Also, is there a link to the fb group?


I'm planning to go to the ASW in March - so excited! Here's a link to the FB group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/447839538609073/

And congratulations again!

eerie_erie
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby eerie_erie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:23 pm

grapefruits wrote:How does one get on the basketball team?


I assume you mean Dean's Cup? Just a simple tryout; they send out emails in the spring semester for those interest. 2L here @ NYU.

eerie_erie
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby eerie_erie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Also, I recommend ASW for undecided students. It helped me decide on NYU. I think exploring the city was the biggest part for me; I had a lot of misconceptions about NYC when I came here (where to shop? easy to use subways? etc) but many of them were cleared up once I spent time here.

sd1234
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby sd1234 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

checking in and freaking ecstatic!

User avatar
ssteiner
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ssteiner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm

eerie_erie wrote:Also, I recommend ASW for undecided students. It helped me decide on NYU. I think exploring the city was the biggest part for me; I had a lot of misconceptions about NYC when I came here (where to shop? easy to use subways? etc) but many of them were cleared up once I spent time here.


I'd second that (1L here). I'm a native NYer so it wasn't NY that I needed to be sold on, but ASW definitely made me feel that NYU was the best fit for me.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:22 pm

I know a couple people have brought of costs of staying in New York during ASW so I thought I'd recommend AirBnb. I've used it in New York before and have always had great, non-sketchy experiences. You can pay for an entire apartment (usually at least $150 in Manhattan) or pay for a room within someone else's apartment/house to save even more money, though I've always been too nervous to try this. My only caveat is that to make sure you read the reviews before booking (and make sure there are reviews) so you're not going in blind. The payment process happens entirely through Airbnb, so no one is going to steal your money and leave you homeless. There seem to be plenty of studios/1-bedrooms posted near NYU for under $200/night --much cheaper than a hotel in that area.

https://www.airbnb.com/

User avatar
Jpreece59
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Jpreece59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Checking in, got accepted today!

I've been listening to Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z ever since.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Jpreece59 wrote:Checking in, got accepted today!

I've been listening to Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z ever since.


Haha I love the contrast - both great though. Congrats!

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby moonman157 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Am I the only one creeping on the people in the FB group trying to figure out who the TLS posters are IRL? 8)

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

moonman157 wrote:Am I the only one creeping on the people in the FB group trying to figure out who the TLS posters are IRL? 8)


No :) I hope the FB group sets up a meet-up soon so that we can meet in real life. I feel like it would be so awkward to meet people you know on TLS on real life but maybe that's not really the case.

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby bbsg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Checking in since I was admitted today. There's a good shot I shall be joining you all in a few months.

Scrambles84
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby Scrambles84 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:07 am

Excited by all the replies. The more I read, the more NYU sounds awesome. And all the NYU posters on here have great things to say. Looking forward to dropping by NYU for the first ASW in March!

alldabest13
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby alldabest13 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/opini ... cy.html?hp

Interesting article about making 3L year optional, not sure when it would occur if agreed upon. What do you guys think?

housebro13
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Postby housebro13 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Jpreece59 wrote:Checking in, got accepted today!

I've been listening to Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z ever since.


:shock: We should be friends lol

Has anyone who was accepted last week received their pizza box yet?




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest