Michigan Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
32
46%
April 4-6
17
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
0
No votes
Neither
21
30%
 
Total votes: 70

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am

dsn32 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Bird calls. We'll each do bird calls.


Like, real bird calls? Or Birdman bird calls (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2adje ... UFBPRlAs2Y)? Lol.


We could all dress up as Desert Rose from It's Always Sunny. That seems to work.

testaker
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby testaker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

Hi, does anyone know whether the deposit/acceptance deadline for Mich is earlier than the normal one of April 30th if you've been offered a Dean's Scholarship? I don't have my letter readily available and don't see it online.

User avatar
zoidberg86
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby zoidberg86 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:22 pm

dsn32 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Bird calls. We'll each do bird calls.


Like, real bird calls? Or Birdman bird calls (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2adje ... UFBPRlAs2Y)? Lol.


I'm there through Sunday. Will be apartment hunting and hanging out. Would love to meet up - especially if people know the area (looking at you dsn32). I have some dinner banquet on Saturday night, but other than that am looking to meet people, see the area, and a 0L bar review with my fellow TLSers. 8)

jackbauer10
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby jackbauer10 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm

zoidberg86 wrote: I'm there through Sunday. Will be apartment hunting and hanging out. Would love to meet up - especially if people know the area (looking at you dsn32). I have some dinner banquet on Saturday night, but other than that am looking to meet people, see the area, and a 0L bar review with my fellow TLSers. 8)


yes please! count me in :)

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

For the bar review, do we all just want to try to meet at Rick's? Or is there a traditional bar-review spot at MLS? (Some schools do "sidebar" in the school itself instead, I haven't heard much either way about what Michigan does)

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 pm

I won't be there Saturday night :cry:

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:39 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:I won't be there Saturday night :cry:


We can do one on Friday, too! :D

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm

labellavita688 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:I won't be there Saturday night :cry:


We can do one on Friday, too! :D


Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!

canarykb
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby canarykb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm

labellavita688 wrote:For the bar review, do we all just want to try to meet at Rick's? Or is there a traditional bar-review spot at MLS? (Some schools do "sidebar" in the school itself instead, I haven't heard much either way about what Michigan does)


Oh please don't go to Ricks! It'll give you a terrible impression of Ann Arbor. In fact, I would say avoid anything on South University, as the rest of the town does (besides undergrads, and for reasons I don't understand, many law students). Ashleys has like 50 taps if you're a beer lover, Red Hawk has great cocktails and a cheap happy hour on weekends, Arbor Brewing Co is farther away but its a local brewery. Why anyone would go to Ricks is beyond me.

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:55 pm

canarykb wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:For the bar review, do we all just want to try to meet at Rick's? Or is there a traditional bar-review spot at MLS? (Some schools do "sidebar" in the school itself instead, I haven't heard much either way about what Michigan does)


Oh please don't go to Ricks! It'll give you a terrible impression of Ann Arbor. In fact, I would say avoid anything on South University, as the rest of the town does (besides undergrads, and for reasons I don't understand, many law students). Ashleys has like 50 taps if you're a beer lover, Red Hawk has great cocktails and a cheap happy hour on weekends, Arbor Brewing Co is farther away but its a local brewery. Why anyone would go to Ricks is beyond me.


Now that you mention it, I actually remember driving by Ashley's when I visited in January and thinking it sounded good!

Good beer = I'm there. That would be my vote!

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 pm

I'll go anywhere there are beverages. I'm not picky.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Let's just go to the cheapest/closest place within walking distance of the law school.

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Ashley's is the closest, unless Dominick's is open. I can't tell, Google Maps thinks it closed...

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Let's just go to the cheapest/closest place within walking distance of the law school.




this. But seriously though, we all need to pick a color or a belt or a hat or something that would stand out in a non-obvious way. Or I can pick a color and everyone that is a TLSer that wants to meet up can PM me and I'll tell them. TOP SECRET


Then we can all agree to rendezvous after at a bar at a set time. I just want the 007 style beforehand. Maybe this as a signal:

Image

canarykb
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby canarykb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 pm

labellavita688 wrote:Ashley's is the closest, unless Dominick's is open. I can't tell, Google Maps thinks it closed...


Dominicks is closed in the Winter b/c its outside seating.

demarco5
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby demarco5 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm in for Friday night! Can't believe we're less than a week away.

We haven't gotten hotel info yet right? Or is that something we get when we check in Thursday?

jackbauer10
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby jackbauer10 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 pm

canarykb wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:Ashley's is the closest, unless Dominick's is open. I can't tell, Google Maps thinks it closed...


Dominicks is closed in the Winter b/c its outside seating.


According to UMichLaw twitter feed it reopened this week. Who knows if that means people are actually going....
https://twitter.com/UMichLaw/status/311114274724528130/photo/1

Edit: just outed myself as a total nerdbomber for following their tweets. oh well.

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 am

jackbauer10 wrote:
canarykb wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:Ashley's is the closest, unless Dominick's is open. I can't tell, Google Maps thinks it closed...


Dominicks is closed in the Winter b/c its outside seating.


According to UMichLaw twitter feed it reopened this week. Who knows if that means people are actually going....
https://twitter.com/UMichLaw/status/311114274724528130/photo/1

Edit: just outed myself as a total nerdbomber for following their tweets. oh well.


Hahahaha. Oof, well, it's supposed to be in the 40s all weekend, so I'm not down for sitting outside.

demarco5 wrote:
We haven't gotten hotel info yet right? Or is that something we get when we check in Thursday?


I assume we just find out when we get there? It would be nice to know though, none of the hotels are extremely close to the law school and I'll be checking in without a lot of time to spare before the opening remarks :/

twinkletoes16 wrote:
this. But seriously though, we all need to pick a color or a belt or a hat or something that would stand out in a non-obvious way. Or I can pick a color and everyone that is a TLSer that wants to meet up can PM me and I'll tell them. TOP SECRET


As a graduate of Ohio State, I totally vote for flying some red accessories under the radar :D We'll definitely stand out...

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby 04102014 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am

So is this looking to be more of a professional-school affair or a shit-is-about-to-get-cray affair?

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

ohpobrecito wrote:So is this looking to be more of a professional-school affair or a shit-is-about-to-get-cray affair?


Little of column A, little of column B? :P

I will try to be somewhat low-key with the alcohol consumption, if only so I can find my way back to my hotel in this unfamiliar land...

User avatar
foosbol21
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby foosbol21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am

demarco5 wrote:We haven't gotten hotel info yet right? Or is that something we get when we check in Thursday?


I was at the Chicago alumni reception last night and one of the admissions people was talking about that. I think he said the email with more information would be going out today for you March ASWers.

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby dsn32 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 am

zoidberg86 wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Bird calls. We'll each do bird calls.


Like, real bird calls? Or Birdman bird calls (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2adje ... UFBPRlAs2Y)? Lol.


I'm there through Sunday. Will be apartment hunting and hanging out. Would love to meet up - especially if people know the area (looking at you dsn32). I have some dinner banquet on Saturday night, but other than that am looking to meet people, see the area, and a 0L bar review with my fellow TLSers. 8)


Definitely willing to show people around on Friday/Saturday. Also, 0L bar review for sure. As for the identifier, I say we all grab a coffee as soon as we arrive on one of the days. They serve Starbucks in the Commons and it'd be a delicious and subtle identifier.


canarykb wrote:Oh please don't go to Ricks! It'll give you a terrible impression of Ann Arbor. In fact, I would say avoid anything on South University, as the rest of the town does (besides undergrads, and for reasons I don't understand, many law students). Ashleys has like 50 taps if you're a beer lover, Red Hawk has great cocktails and a cheap happy hour on weekends, Arbor Brewing Co is farther away but its a local brewery. Why anyone would go to Ricks is beyond me.


Lol. We don't have to go to Rick's. But South U is definitely part of the Ann Arbor experience and plenty of my Grad School friends still love going to those bars. I definitely would avoid Ashley's personally unless you want to sit down and have a meal. It's way too small to host a large group and really casual in nature. Maybe heading out to Main Street would be better. There are plenty of bars out there which would be fun too!

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby 04102014 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:36 am

All this talk has me way more excited for ASW :D

labellavita688
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:49 am

ohpobrecito wrote:All this talk has me way more excited for ASW :D


Me too! :)

Dsn32, if you don't mind being our guide, would you maybe want to try to have us all meet somewhere central right before going out, and then we could decide on the bar then? That might be easiest.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am

I'm not getting in until almost 1:30. I will be hustling straight from airport to shuttle to campus and won't be able to check in until that night if the hotels are far away. Yikes.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest