Michigan Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
46%
April 4-6
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
No votes
Neither
30%

Total votes: 70

labellavita688

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Postby labellavita688 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Anybody else get their faculty/curriculum guide yet? I just got mine today and...it's so exciting but sort of frightening...all the Ivy League degrees and accomplishments and smiling yet intimidating photographs....

I've been doing this all night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

labellavita688 wrote:Anybody else get their faculty/curriculum guide yet? I just got mine today and...it's so exciting but sort of frightening...all the Ivy League degrees and accomplishments and smiling yet intimidating photographs....

lolol. i haven't received mine even though it says they mailed it about a month ago... :cry:

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 am

jrthor10 wrote:Seriously people, follow the protocol. It's not hard--you just have to post one of those three things. If it is this difficult to hear a fun/funny story about UM Law I am very concerned.

BuckinghamB--thanks for your willingness to answer questions!

Mine are:

1. What's the social scene like with the law school crowd? Do you guys interact much with people in different sections and/or outside of the law school?

2. Mich is known for its friendly vibe--especially in comparison to more gunner-oriented schools. Is this accurate?

3. What's the mood on campus with regards to jobs? Michigan seems to be dropping off a bit in the recent years OCI results. Are people nervous/worried? Any idea why this is? Some have suggested Mich may have more self-selection for PI and smaller market firms. Thoughts?

No problem!

1. The social scene is very active. I live pretty far away from all the bars and such, but even I have been able to go out on a pretty regular basis. You can definitely find lots of people willing to go out pretty much every weekend. There's definitely alot of interaction between sections, too. One thing I kind of regret is not joining any student orgs this year because that seems to be the best way to meet folks outside your section.

2. I think this is definitely accurate -- especially with my section. We're pretty tight and everyone is very chill. Notes are always shared, we grab lunch, study together pretty regularly, and there are lots of section get-togethers, too. I guess the best way to describe it is that we're good friends. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like the other sections are much different than what I've described.

3. I can't really speak to this obviously since I'm a 1L. I know every time someone mentions the PI self selection at Mich some TLSers kind of dismiss that as an excuse, but I think it might have a significant effect. I know LOTS of PI-minded people, and not because I am one myself (I want regional or major market biglaw). Regarding the smaller market firms, I know this is true for a pretty significant number of my friends, but I don't know about the class as a whole. But obviously the NLJ numbers still tell something about biglaw hiring, so of course people are going to be nervous about it. Again, I'll probably have a better idea of this in August.

labellavita688 wrote:I'm definitely curious about this as well. My boyfriend goes to a tier 3, and even there he says there are a ton of gunners and people who try to "game" each other. Makes me nervous.

Another question: If you joined any law assocs or clubs, how much time did they tend to take up during 1L year? I'm very interested in getting involved (not doing so is one of my biggest regrets re: undergrad), but considering the workload I don't want to overextend myself. Any advice?

And thanks :)

Like I said above, I actually haven't done any of these unfortunately. But I know several people who are involved with orgs/clubs, and it doesn't seem to eat up that much of their time. If you do like one or two, I'm sure it'll be fine -- I know I definitely have a LOT of free time before finals month.

djpaa

Postby djpaa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:Anybody else get their faculty/curriculum guide yet? I just got mine today and...it's so exciting but sort of frightening...all the Ivy League degrees and accomplishments and smiling yet intimidating photographs....

lolol. i haven't received mine even though it says they mailed it about a month ago... :cry:

Same here, never received it, listed as mailed 1/16. I moved right before so didn't think much of it. I noticed that it is a link, though, so you can just read it on your computer.

labellavita688

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am

djpaa wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

Same here, never received it, listed as mailed 1/16. I moved right before so didn't think much of it. I noticed that it is a link, though, so you can just read it on your computer.

Aww :/

There's a particularly funny line in the introduction about (paraphrase) "grim tales of the Socratic method being whispered about on applicants' internet message boards" :lol:

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Heading to the April ASW, really excited!

Oddly specific (and clearly not terribly important) question for any current UM Law students. What is the parking situation like on campus/near the law school? I'm looking at housing options and trying to determine how critical it is I live within easy walking distance vs. a few minute drive away.

Thanks, looking forward to meeting everyone!

djpaa

Postby djpaa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:Heading to the April ASW, really excited!

Oddly specific (and clearly not terribly important) question for any current UM Law students. What is the parking situation like on campus/near the law school? I'm looking at housing options and trying to determine how critical it is I live within easy walking distance vs. a few minute drive away.

This depends on your budget and feelings towards public transportation. It is not critical to live within walking distance as the bus system is pretty good and free for students. As for driving to campus, your best options would be to rent a parking spot near the law school (not sure about rates but upwards of $100/mo) or park at one of the free commuter lots outside campus and take the bus in.

There is street parking near the law school, but during the day it is either metered, time limited, or both, and usually difficult to find a spot. After 6:00 pm, however, it is free and there are usually plenty of open spaces. There are also plenty of taxis in town if you are wondering about late night transportation.

All that said, living farther from campus can significantly decrease your rent.

Or, you could live within walking distance and not worry about any of this.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Seems to be a lot of love for the Lawyer's Club on here. Anyone NOT want to live there? I would ideally like to live in an off-campus house with 3 or 4 bedrooms. The problem is, I have no idea how to go about finding roommates who I'd be able to co-exist with.

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 pm

djpaa wrote:

This depends on your budget and feelings towards public transportation. It is not critical to live within walking distance as the bus system is pretty good and free for students. As for driving to campus, your best options would be to rent a parking spot near the law school (not sure about rates but upwards of $100/mo) or park at one of the free commuter lots outside campus and take the bus in.

There is street parking near the law school, but during the day it is either metered, time limited, or both, and usually difficult to find a spot. After 6:00 pm, however, it is free and there are usually plenty of open spaces. There are also plenty of taxis in town if you are wondering about late night transportation.

That's a really complete answer! I didn't think through that Ann Arbor probably has a great public transit system (the city I'm in now is marginal at best) so that pretty much solves my question about living .5 vs. 2-3 miles from school. Thanks!

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

nsideirish wrote:Seems to be a lot of love for the Lawyer's Club on here. Anyone NOT want to live there? I would ideally like to live in an off-campus house with 3 or 4 bedrooms. The problem is, I have no idea how to go about finding roommates who I'd be able to co-exist with.

I'm not interested in the Lawyer's Club either. I hadn't had roommates in over 5 years (lived with my boyfriend for the last year...and that's been an adjustment...), no chance I could live comfortably there. I completely understand the appeal, but I don't think it's right for everyone.

Not a particularly helpful answer, but you certainly aren't alone! Do UM Law/profesional schools have a "roomate fair"? I know some places do this and people have had success with this strategy.
Last edited by CaptainLeela on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djpaa

Postby djpaa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
djpaa wrote:

That's a really complete answer! I didn't think through that Ann Arbor probably has a great public transit system (the city I'm in now is marginal at best) so that pretty much solves my question about living .5 vs. 2-3 miles from school. Thanks!

No problem! I am a 0L as well but went to UM undergrad and currently live in Ann Arbor, hence the complete answer. Happy to take any other questions about the city and campus.

labellavita688

Postby labellavita688 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
nsideirish wrote:Seems to be a lot of love for the Lawyer's Club on here. Anyone NOT want to live there? I would ideally like to live in an off-campus house with 3 or 4 bedrooms. The problem is, I have no idea how to go about finding roommates who I'd be able to co-exist with.

I'm not interested in the Lawyer's Club either. I hadn't had roommates in over 5 years (lived with my boyfriend for the last year...and that's been an adjustment...), no chance I could live comfortably there. I completely understand the appeal, but I don't think it's right for everyone.

Not a particularly helpful answer, but you certainly aren't alone! Do UM Law/profesional schools have a "roomate fair"? I know some places do this and people have had success with this strategy.

Actually, I don't think you could get a roommate even if you wanted one at the LC. Once it reopens, all bedrooms will be private, with private bathrooms (you can take a slight price reduction if you share the bath with one other person). So maybe you would still like it!

I'm looking forward to it for convenience (both closeness to school and not having to worry about paying bills or buying groceries) and socializing. :)

Though I do want to know what the parking situation is like for LC residents, specifically...

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:09 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:

I hope they have some kind of roommate fair or something similar. I really have no idea how to go about finding a roommate for off campus housing.

demarco5

Postby demarco5 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:13 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:

Not interested in the LC either. I'm glad it's not just me! After living in apartments for the past few years, I'd have to get rid of half my stuff to move back into a dorm like setting. Plus I want a kitchen. I've browsed Craigslist a little for an apartment in walking distance but there hasn't been a ton of stuff. Where are you guys looking?

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:27 pm

demarco5 wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:

Not interested in the LC either. I'm glad it's not just me! After living in apartments for the past few years, I'd have to get rid of half my stuff to move back into a dorm like setting. Plus I want a kitchen. I've browsed Craigslist a little for an apartment in walking distance but there hasn't been a ton of stuff. Where are you guys looking?

Yea, I live in a 2 bedroom condo with a newly renovated kitchen. I realize I sound like a snob/control freak but any kind of communal living would absolutely make me tear my hair out. I promise I'm social/nice, but I need my own little kingdom :)

I saw an apartment complex that was 2 miles or so from campus that looked really nice. I've just been looking at Craigslist trying to get a sense of pricing and what's available. I don't really object to living in long walking/short driving distance (it's what I did in undergrad). I'm hoping I'll have a better sense of the landscape post ASW.

gertie

Postby gertie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Has anyone received any notice about Merit Scholarships? I am still waiting on my acceptance packet even though it was mailed 3/4 weeks ago. Is information about merit scholarships in there or do we receive a seperate email/letter?

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:39 pm

gertie wrote:Has anyone received any notice about Merit Scholarships? I am still waiting on my acceptance packet even though it was mailed 3/4 weeks ago. Is information about merit scholarships in there or do we receive a seperate email/letter?

Check your admitted students page. It should be under 'mail and money' -> financial award information. Also, they do send you a letter via snail mail but it comes after your acceptance package.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 pm

demarco5 wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:

Check out http://www.a2cribs.com/

demarco5

Postby demarco5 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 pm

nsideirish wrote:
demarco5 wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:

Check out http://www.a2cribs.com/

Thanks. I have looked on there, but it would be more helpful if the site only showed vacancies. Everything I click on seems to be rented through August 2014. Womp womp.

This site seems helpful too: --LinkRemoved--

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:54 am

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oaken

Postby oaken » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm

if you're OK with a ~10-15 minute driving commute you can get huge spaces for cheap in ypsilanti. don't even need to get on the highway or anything, just a few miles down the road

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey everyone! Summer starter here (class of 2014/2015.) My roommate and I are looking to sublet our apartment for the summer! Six minute walk from the law school. $600/mo. Fully furnished and parking in the back. PM if interested. :)

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 am

Is it possible to stay in the LC during the summer start?

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm

qwertyboard wrote:Is it possible to stay in the LC during the summer start?

Nope. http://www.law.umich.edu/lawyersclub/Pa ... ult.aspx#4
Look under 'important dates'

biakabutuga119

Postby biakabutuga119 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Congratulations everyone! I'm currently a 3L summer starter, who's looking to sublet my apartment to another member of the Michigan Law family for the summer. It's a fantastic studio apartment located 5 mins from the law school. It comes fully furnished, with all utilities included and has a dedicated parking space on site. You can find out more by clicking the link below.

--LinkRemoved--

Also, if you have any questions about Michigan Law or the summer start, I'm more than happy to answer them.
Last edited by biakabutuga119 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”