Michigan Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
46%
April 4-6
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
No votes
Neither
30%

Total votes: 70

curious66

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Post by curious66 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm

qwertyboard wrote:I plan on living in the LC because it could make a difference. Even if it costs me overall 5k more to live at the school than off campus think about it... it's just 5k! It's not a substantial amount of money compared to what you will spend during LS anyway. I won't have to deal with any landlord, broken stuff, undergrad neighbors, cleaning, snow removal, majority of meals, walking in the frigid cold, etc. I feel like living in the LC helps eliminate some of the variables that could make a difference in my academic performance during 1l.

I still think LC is overcharging us a bit but not by that much. You can't compare LC facilities with the average $800 a month apartment couple of blocks away that seriously needs refurbishing. I visited about 20 apartments and most of them looked trashed.
+1. I'm thinking the less distractions/hassles I have during 1L can only help :)

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm

curious66 wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:I plan on living in the LC because it could make a difference. Even if it costs me overall 5k more to live at the school than off campus think about it... it's just 5k! It's not a substantial amount of money compared to what you will spend during LS anyway. I won't have to deal with any landlord, broken stuff, undergrad neighbors, cleaning, snow removal, majority of meals, walking in the frigid cold, etc. I feel like living in the LC helps eliminate some of the variables that could make a difference in my academic performance during 1l.

I still think LC is overcharging us a bit but not by that much. You can't compare LC facilities with the average $800 a month apartment couple of blocks away that seriously needs refurbishing. I visited about 20 apartments and most of them looked trashed.
+1. I'm thinking the less distractions/hassles I have during 1L can only help :)
If I wind up at Michigan, I will definitely be living in LC. I love the idea of living in the same building as the school.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Valid. It will be nice in that sense.

But also--no sofa save common rooms, no ability to cook anything non-microwaveable, no gym included, no parking, small closet space, small bed, etcetera. And all of that for $1,400 a month - board.

That said, I think I will live there. It is just too convenient not to do for 1l year.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 pm

megagnarley wrote:

Valid. It will be nice in that sense.

But also--no sofa save common rooms, no ability to cook anything non-microwaveable, no gym included, no parking, small closet space, small bed, etcetera. And all of that for $1,400 a month - board.

That said, I think I will live there. It is just too convenient not to do for 1l year.
I'll say that when I found out the normal rooms were only 160+ square feet I felt disappointed. I'm also staying for 1l only.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 am

Not to be a pain, but I'm a 1L who is trying to sublet her apartment for the summer. If anyone here is a summer starter, my roommate and I both have rooms available. Only $550/month and a six minute walk from the law school! PM me if interested.

Also, I will throw in some books for free. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 am

People dissatisfied with the cost/offerings of the Lawyer's Club, consider applying to Phid :) Some of you guys got to tour the house over ASW #1 and maybe can report back, but having lived here 2 years now, my own experience has been that it has many of the benefits of living in the Lawyers' Club (strong community of law students, very much part of law school social life, 2 minute walk to school, 9 month lease, utilities included, furnished*, etc.), but is much cheaper ($450/month Sept - May, $350/month June - Aug.), has a huge kitchen, most of the rooms are pretty big, there's lots of common space, we have a parking lot ($50/month for housemates to park), after your first year you can "reserve" your room for the summer for 1 month's rent ($350) so the house won't sublet it and you can leave all your stuff there for when you come back (packing up everything during finals to move out of the LC sounds terrible), and I think it has a bit less of the pressure-cooker vibe of the LC -- many of your housemates will be 2Ls and 3Ls who've done it all before, not everyone you live with/eat all your meals with/see all the time is studying for and getting stressed out about and discussing nonstop the same exams as you.

Application is due April 14 and can be found at our website, http://www.phidhouse.org. PM me or email phidboard@umich.edu with questions.

*if you prefer to bring your own furniture, we can accommodate that, too.

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 am

I agree. I did the math wrt the Phid house, and though I'm going to be applying to both and I'm still not sure, it only works out to a difference of about 2k (the difference may be more substantial if you're super frugal and good about cooking instead of eating out, but I know that if I live at Phid and I'm coming home at 8 pm, I *will* be getting falafel or pizza and not feeling at all like spending 45 minutes making a meal, so I used a baseline of about $20/day towards food).

For me, the biggest pros for the LC would be the meals, the private bathroom, and not having to worry about paying rent or grocery shopping every month (when compared to an apartment, that becomes even more pronounced, as I'm terrible at remembering when each separate bill is due). The biggest con would be the parking situation, although from my understanding there are a lot of rentable spaces on South U and Main.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Entchen wrote:People dissatisfied with the cost/offerings of the Lawyer's Club, consider applying to Phid :) Some of you guys got to tour the house over ASW #1 and maybe can report back, but having lived here 2 years now, my own experience has been that it has many of the benefits of living in the Lawyers' Club (strong community of law students, very much part of law school social life, 2 minute walk to school, 9 month lease, utilities included, furnished*, etc.), but is much cheaper ($450/month Sept - May, $350/month June - Aug.), has a huge kitchen, most of the rooms are pretty big, there's lots of common space, we have a parking lot ($50/month for housemates to park), after your first year you can "reserve" your room for the summer for 1 month's rent ($350) so the house won't sublet it and you can leave all your stuff there for when you come back (packing up everything during finals to move out of the LC sounds terrible), and I think it has a bit less of the pressure-cooker vibe of the LC -- many of your housemates will be 2Ls and 3Ls who've done it all before, not everyone you live with/eat all your meals with/see all the time is studying for and getting stressed out about and discussing nonstop the same exams as you.

Application is due April 14 and can be found at our website, http://www.phidhouse.org. PM me or email phidboard@umich.edu with questions.

*if you prefer to bring your own furniture, we can accommodate that, too.
As a 0L that went on the tour of the Phid House during the wine and cheese night, I'll tell you it is an awesome place and I'll second everything Entchen said. If I were able to live here, I would. Every current housemate that I met was extremely friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable. Having a cohort of 1L, 2L, and 3Ls would be great to not only help you transition to law school, but also to stay sane during 1L.

The house is huge, the common areas looked great, the kitchen was fantastic, the location is perfect, and the people were top notch. If you haven't considered it, I would recommend that you do. If you have any specific questions about my experience visiting the house, just let me know.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Could you post some pics of the house?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

qwertyboard wrote:Could you post some pics of the house?
http://www.phidhouse.org/tour.php :)

emt2015

New

Post by emt2015 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey all--congrats on getting accepted! For summer starters, I'm looking to sublet a great 1 bedroom apartment. It's in a quiet building, a 5 minute walk to the law school. It has A/C, a dishwasher, free covered parking, and free laundry. I pay $815/month, but I'm asking $600/month to sublet. And you can stay here until after finals (moving before is a big hassle at a bad time). There also might be a chance to stay in the apartment for the year.

If you're interested, send me a PM. Thanks!

jfish

New

Post by jfish » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:02 am

Hi summer-starters: congratulations on your acceptances!

If you're still looking for a place to live for the summer, I'm subletting my 1BR apartment. It's in one of the apartment buildings that the law school reserved for 1Ls this year while the LC was being renovated. I've lived here since last summer (fellow summer-starter here!) and will be living here next year as well. It's fully furnished, A/C unit in the living room—crucial, laundry in basement, and parking space in the back lot if you need it. And it's less than a 3 min walk to the school!

I currently pay $965/month, but would be willing to talk about $600/month. You would be responsible for electricity, which has never been more than $35 for me. I don't have a television, but I'm pretty sure you can add cable easily if you want. We can talk exact dates, but you can definitely stay through the end of your finals.

PM me if interested, or if you have questions about Michigan in general!

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:22 pm

ASW looked amazing. Sad I missed out!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 pm

I am so pumped for the weekend! What time is everyone reaching on Thursday?

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:42 pm

VeeD101 wrote:I am so pumped for the weekend! What time is everyone reaching on Thursday?
I'm driving out there Thursday after work from Chicago so I will unfortunately be missing all of Thursday's activities. Still pumped to check out campus.

I originally planned on heading home Saturday afternoon but with UM in the Final Four, I am tempted to stay an extra night and watch the game at a campus bar. I am sure it will be crazy there.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

nsideirish wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:I am so pumped for the weekend! What time is everyone reaching on Thursday?
I'm driving out there Thursday after work from Chicago so I will unfortunately be missing all of Thursday's activities. Still pumped to check out campus.

I originally planned on heading home Saturday afternoon but with UM in the Final Four, I am tempted to stay an extra night and watch the game at a campus bar. I am sure it will be crazy there.
Worth it - I was there for the first round games for the first ASW, and the bars / community were fun. I went to a bar to watch the game - it was packed, but great. Just get there early!

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 am

For those who were at the first ASW - what was the structure of the evenings, particularly Thursday? Did most people stick together, or go off in their own directions? I see that there is dinner with current students on the schedule, and then the Students v. Faculty Knowledge Bowl. Did pretty much everyone attend events like these? (Trying to see whether there is an opportunity to have dinner with a friend while there, but don't necessarily want to ditch programming that everyone is at in order to do so). Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

testaker wrote:For those who were at the first ASW - what was the structure of the evenings, particularly Thursday? Did most people stick together, or go off in their own directions? I see that there is dinner with current students on the schedule, and then the Students v. Faculty Knowledge Bowl. Did pretty much everyone attend events like these? (Trying to see whether there is an opportunity to have dinner with a friend while there, but don't necessarily want to ditch programming that everyone is at in order to do so). Thanks.
For my part, it seemed like people went off in a variety of directions. The program they hand out when you arrive at registration has a lot of "ads" in it for various clubs/orgs sponsoring bar reviews; I know Outlaw apparently had a really successful/fun night at the gay bar in town Thursday night, for instance. That night I was exhausted, so I only grabbed a beer (at Rick's...ha, oops) with some of the people I'd met at dinner. Friday night was more of the same, after mixers at Ashely's and Phid house I tried (unsuccessfully) to meet up with TLSers and ended up chilling with someone I'd met.

I have heard that Phid house is throwing a big party one night though, so I presume a lot of people will go to that.

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks. Anyone know how early we can check into our hotels tomorrow?

Darienk

New

Post by Darienk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:56 pm

testaker wrote:Thanks. Anyone know how early we can check into our hotels tomorrow?
Not sure. I'm not getting in until 4.

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 pm

testaker wrote:Thanks. Anyone know how early we can check into our hotels tomorrow?
Oops didn't see this till now. I managed to check in at 8 am and crash until now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Has anyone else noticed that health insurance isn't listed as part of the budget on Wolverine Access? What's up with that?

Darienk

New

Post by Darienk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Just landed in Detroit, not nearly as cold as I anticipated.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:11 pm

checking out, just withdrew. hope scholly $ goes to TLSer. enjoy A^2 guys

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Looking for input.

Was planning on living in LC but just found out my friend is me a place in her apt. at no cost. Everything would be covered (except food), but I'm just wondering if for 1L I'd be shooting myself in the foot by not opting to live in LC as far as potential to do well/ability to make friends/go out.

She lives a bit north of campus so it'd be a 10 minute drive each day, and I'm just not sure if for 1L i'd be better off paying for the convenience of LC. That being said, free lodging is hard to turn down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”