Michigan Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
46%
April 4-6
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
No votes
Neither
30%

Total votes: 70

dislikeCeltics

New

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Post by dislikeCeltics » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:45 pm

zoidberg86 wrote:
shntn wrote:My ASW budget is quickly running dry, but I do hope to make it out to one of them!
The March one and staying through Sunday is supposedly where its at.
Do people go out Thurs, Fri, and Sat night? I plan on staying through Sunday and I know the Saturday activities ends at noon - wonder what everyone's plans are for the remainder of the day??

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

dislikeCeltics wrote:
zoidberg86 wrote:
shntn wrote:My ASW budget is quickly running dry, but I do hope to make it out to one of them!
Do people go out Thurs, Fri, and Sat night? I plan on staying through Sunday and I know the Saturday activities ends at noon - wonder what everyone's plans are for the remainder of the day??
Hrm. I think I may have just made the executive decision to do the March one. Plus, I visited the school today (!!!) and spoke with someone from admissions, who told me that the March preview features the SFF auction? Which is basically a school-wide party? Hm.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:49 pm

dislikeCeltics wrote:
zoidberg86 wrote:
I'm taking 2 days off of work. I'm going to enjoy myself as much as possible.

I think Saturday will be nice to explore A2 and maybe even apartment hunt. Then go out.

boots1206

New

Post by boots1206 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi everyone! Congrats!!! You guys are seriously going to love Michigan. I'm a current 3L and leaving for the summer. If there are any summer starters looking for housing, my roommates and I live in a 3 bedroom right across the street from the law school and want to sublet. Details below, please message me if interested!

Available: May 15-August 25
Description: Spacious 3 BR furnished apartment, located literally across the street from the law school! The apartment takes up two floors, with kitchen, living room, and bathroom on the first floor and bedrooms on the second floor. All utilities, internet, and two parking spaces are included! $1350 per month for apartment (or $450 per month for single room).

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm

zoidberg86 wrote:

+1. can we have a TLS Saturday night 0L bar review?

JUST booked my flight! Can't wait!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
zoidberg86 wrote:

0L bar review? I'm in.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm

labellavita688 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
zoidberg86 wrote:

0L bar review? I'm in.
In for this as well.

Also, for any basketball fans, Michigan (current #1 in the nation) will likely have their first and second round games of March Madness in Auburn Hills (about 45 minutes away) Thursday/Saturday. Could be something cool to hit up.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

dsn32 wrote:
In for this as well.

Also, for any basketball fans, Michigan (current #1 in the nation) will likely have their first and second round games of March Madness in Auburn Hills (about 45 minutes away) Thursday/Saturday. Could be something cool to hit up.

this + 0L bar review after means i am so, so down. as i said in the acceptance/denial/waitlist thread, i'm bringing my heels! 8)

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Checking in!

I can't make it to the first weekend because of work :(. Those of us going to the second weekend should follow in the footsteps of those going to the March weekend and do a 0L bar review part 2 :)

Also just sent it my application form for Lawyers Club! Super excited!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
In for this as well.

this + 0L bar review after means i am so, so down. as i said in the acceptance/denial/waitlist thread, i'm bringing my heels! 8)
All about it. Already trying to be a Mich fan (my UG didn't have sports). I found out recently I get Big 10 network and have been watching games. I think A2 bars for the games will be awesome.

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Just registered for March ASW! :D

As an OSU grad I don't know how excited I am about watching UM basketball, but I'll have to learn to suck it up until I find an ex-pat Buckeye support group :p

Riegl

New

Post by Riegl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Congrats everyone! I'm a current 2L and my roommates and I are looking to sublet our house for the summer.

The house is beautiful, we looked at a ton of places before we found this one and it is a real upgrade from a lot of the undergrad housing. It's on Packard, about a 8 minute walk from the law school. We have 4 off-street parking spaces, but you might be able to fit more cars. The house has 5 bedrooms (one of which is the whole third floor - so has been used for two people) and three bathrooms. In addition to the kitchen on the ground floor, the second and third floors each have a kitchenette with a refrigerator, microwave, and cupboard space. Coin-operated washer and dryer in the basement. The whole house comes furnished as well. Price is very negotiable and we are open to renting it out to a group of three or four if that's what works too. Please message me if you are interested!! We would be happy to show people around during the ASWs.

pinballwiz24

New

Post by pinballwiz24 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:44 pm

It doesn't make sense to look for housing before being 100% committed to going, right? Michigan is my top choice right now, but I am deciding between a few others and going to wait until my April visits to make my final decision. I'm a little nervous because I'm a summer starter...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm

pinballwiz24 wrote:It doesn't make sense to look for housing before being 100% committed to going, right? Michigan is my top choice right now, but I am deciding between a few others and going to wait until my April visits to make my final decision. I'm a little nervous because I'm a summer starter...
If you're at all interested in the Lawyers Club, I would send in your application right away. No deposit needed. I sent in mine today :)

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:09 pm

VeeD101 wrote:Checking in!

I can't make it to the first weekend because of work :(. Those of us going to the second weekend should follow in the footsteps of those going to the March weekend and do a 0L bar review part 2 :)

Also just sent it my application form for Lawyers Club! Super excited!!
I'm also headed to the April Preview Weekend, and I'd be up for 0L bar review 2.0! Maybe the March weekenders can even help us figure out where to go :D

pinballwiz24

New

Post by pinballwiz24 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 pm

labellavita688 wrote:
pinballwiz24 wrote:It doesn't make sense to look for housing before being 100% committed to going, right? Michigan is my top choice right now, but I am deciding between a few others and going to wait until my April visits to make my final decision. I'm a little nervous because I'm a summer starter...
If you're at all interested in the Lawyers Club, I would send in your application right away. No deposit needed. I sent in mine today :)

Thanks so much for the response! I'll do that right away. And I am also up for the review for us April visiters.

As far as basketball games go...April admits will actually be there during the semifinals of March madness (I know, makes no sense). It would be awesome to root on Michigan if they're in it. Also, it's a safe bet that they'll be in it for the March weekend (opening rounds) so you all will be able to watch them at a bar, but since it's the tournament none of us will be able to physically attend a game in Ann Arbor sadly.

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:17 pm

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Checking in! Summer starter, attending March ASW. Can't wait.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 am

I am so happy to be able to post in this forum.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 pm

math101 wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:
Hi all, first of all CONGRATS! on getting into Michigan. I am a current 2L here and absolutely love having made the choice to come here.

Second, I thought I should throw my pitch in here to any summer starters about housing.
I have a wonderful 1 bedroom apt that I'm subletting for the summer of 2013 (it's so wonderful, in fact, that I'm staying here for all three years). Here's the details:

* large 1BR at Packard & Division (less than 5 minute walk to the LS)
* $650/month, utilities included (internet, electric, etc.)
* available May 12th-August 26th (that takes you through 1L finals. some places have a move out date the week before)
* free parking
* laundry (coin-operated) in basement
* brand new AC (not central, but very powerful. you will be super happy to have this in the summer as most places don't)

PM me if you're interested or have questions (pics available). The leasing agency I use is Issa Properties and you can check out their website for leases for the fall (http://www.issaproperties.com). Unfortunately, the building I'm in is all rented out for the fall. And hopefully, we'll all see you guys next summer/fall!
PM'd

dislikeCeltics

New

Post by dislikeCeltics » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Are we supposed to hold off on filing for FAFSA until we receive further information from the school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:55 pm

dislikeCeltics wrote:Are we supposed to hold off on filing for FAFSA until we receive further information from the school?
I'm pretty sure there will be financial aid information in the packet (still haven't gotten mine yet though :p), as well as panels on the subject during the ASWs. Michigan doesn't even have their preliminary financial aid questionnaire up on the admitted students' site yet, so I would hold off for now.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Just got the envelope today. This is real!

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Just got the envelope today. This is real!
Congrats & welcome!

teliask

New

Post by teliask » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Firstly, HUGE congratulations on being accepted to Michigan. We look forward to meeting plenty of you in the future and I'd encourage you all to try attend one of the Preview Weekends if you can!

Sorry to bug you all with another message for Summer Starters, but if you are looking for a place for the summer I am subletting. Please just let me know if you have any further questions. I'm happy to arrange a time to meet up and show you the place if you visit between now and summer.

Available: mid-May – mid-August (happy to negotiate exact dates/terms)

Description: 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom loft-style house just north of beautiful Kerrytown, home of the Farmer's Market, Zingerman's Deli and a host of fun coffee shops and study spots.

High ceilings, huge windows, air-conditioning and ceiling-fan (crucial for A2 summer!), full-kitchen, dishwasher, washer-dryer, wood-laminate floors, fully furnished. One queen bed upstairs in main bedroom, plus a room downstairs with a good air-mattress that can also be used as an office (desk, etc.). You are also welcome to bring in your own bed for the downstairs room. Happy to share internet, cable, printer, phone, etc. for small addition to rent. Includes parking and private patio. No pets allowed.

About a 20-minute walk to the law school, but there is a very regular bus that leaves from right by the house and takes you to the top of the Diag (about a 5 minute walk from the Law Quad). And trust me, you'll be thankful to have a bit of distance from the law school when you want to switch off after a long day of class!

$700 p/m per person (2 people max.) or $1,000 for 1 person.

Please message me with any additional questions or to see other photos.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”