Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
spartanlaw877

New

Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016

Post by spartanlaw877 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Who else got in?!?!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Re: Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Me!

Waiting for the information packet now. :)

honolulu_hopeful

New

Post by honolulu_hopeful » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:Me!

Waiting for the information packet now. :)
Same

cinnamonchurros

New

Post by cinnamonchurros » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Me! I got the acceptance packet in the mail yesterday!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Got the packet yesterday. Gonna wait till I get a lot of free time to sit down and read everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Congrats everyone! I am an undergrad here at MSU now so if you guys have any questions let me know :D

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am

spartanlaw877 wrote:Congrats everyone! I am an undergrad here at MSU now so if you guys have any questions let me know :D
How is the nightlife? I know its not going to be the whole weekend bars out thing in law school, but are your fellow classmates....social?

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:28 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
spartanlaw877 wrote:Congrats everyone! I am an undergrad here at MSU now so if you guys have any questions let me know :D
How is the nightlife? I know its not going to be the whole weekend bars out thing in law school, but are your fellow classmates....social?

Not to boast, but MSU is one of the biggest party schools around..at least from experience and from what I've read. There are about 6 good college bars located on the main half a mile stretch across from campus.

The nice thing about MSU is everything is located in one big plot of land, which includes all the dorms, class halls, stadiums, etc. The law college is dropped right in the middle, a building on its own.

Things get crazy during football season, and slowly winds down until Spring is back bringing good weather.

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:28 pm

spartanlaw877 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:

Not to boast, but MSU is one of the biggest party schools around..at least from experience and from what I've read. There are about 6 good college bars located on the main half a mile stretch across from campus.

The nice thing about MSU is everything is located in one big plot of land, which includes all the dorms, class halls, stadiums, etc. The law college is dropped right in the middle, a building on its own.

Things get crazy during football season, and slowly winds down until Spring is back bringing good weather.
Oh, and the women are beyond amazing :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 pm

spartanlaw877 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:

There are six bars total. And none of them are what I would call good in the young professional sense. Except Beggar's, which is the least popular because Spartans would rather wait an hour in line to go into a basement than drink wine and forego Gangnam Style for a night.

East Lansing is easily the worst Big 10 town, outside of maybe West Lafayette. The girls are attractive though.

Seriously though, the biggest problem is that East Lansing has almost no young professional type people. MSU seems like it'd be a blast for undergrad, but somewhat depressing beyond that.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:39 pm

spartanlaw877 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:

And MSU has a SPRAWLING campus. That is hardly a plus. To get to the one retail strip is what, a 25 minute walk from the law school?

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm

danquayle wrote:
spartanlaw877 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:

There are six bars total. And none of them are what I would call good in the young professional sense. Except Beggar's, which is the least popular because Spartans would rather wait an hour in line to go into a basement than drink wine and forego Gangnam Style for a night.

East Lansing is easily the worst Big 10 town, outside of maybe West Lafayette. The girls are attractive though.

Seriously though, the biggest problem is that East Lansing has almost no young professional type people. MSU seems like it'd be a blast for undergrad, but somewhat depressing beyond that.

Hey now! :roll:

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am

Obviously you're not going to find professional bars on a college campus. . . what's the point of a professional bar anyways? If you are honestly concerned with the atmosphere of where you get drunk then take the #1 bus ten minutes down grand river next to the capitol and you'll find several more bars that would better suit you liking.

Yes, the strip of stores and bars is about a 20 minute walk from the law college. Yet, whereever you end up living the main street is on your way to the law college. Moreover, the school is located conveniently next to the bus station-a sixty second walk. The busses there will literally take you anywhere on campus and anywhere off campus to your residency...a plus is that during the school semester they depart every 8-10 minutes.

Remember, you're going to graduate school...so the nightlife shouldn't be a deciding factor haha :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dh86

New

Post by dh86 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:19 am

Me! I'm not worried about the nightlife, Cata is alot better bus service than exists in my city (Detroit), so it wont be a problem.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm

spartanlaw877 wrote:Obviously you're not going to find professional bars on a college campus. . . what's the point of a professional bar anyways? If you are honestly concerned with the atmosphere of where you get drunk then take the #1 bus ten minutes down grand river next to the capitol and you'll find several more bars that would better suit you liking.

Yes, the strip of stores and bars is about a 20 minute walk from the law college. Yet, whereever you end up living the main street is on your way to the law college. Moreover, the school is located conveniently next to the bus station-a sixty second walk. The busses there will literally take you anywhere on campus and anywhere off campus to your residency...a plus is that during the school semester they depart every 8-10 minutes.

Remember, you're going to graduate school...so the nightlife shouldn't be a deciding factor haha :D
Of course not. It's simply an area of interest.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
spartanlaw877 wrote:Obviously you're not going to find professional bars on a college campus. . . what's the point of a professional bar anyways? If you are honestly concerned with the atmosphere of where you get drunk then take the #1 bus ten minutes down grand river next to the capitol and you'll find several more bars that would better suit you liking.

Of course not. It's simply an area of interest.
I drank more in law school than in any other period of my life.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 pm

danquayle wrote:
spartanlaw877 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:

Thought this was a UM student or grad when I saw the comment, then I wasn't surprised to see Ross School of Business in his profile :wink: However, he does bring up some good points. EL has more of a "house party" nightlife scene, the bar scene isn't great (and I work at one of those). It is fun, but will be a younger (more undergrad age) crowd outside of Beggar's, the Peanut Barrel, and maybe Dublin's and Crunchy's. There are actually more like 10 bars total, 7 in that area around Grand River, MAC, and Abbott. EL is a true college town, not like Ann Arbor, Madison, and Columbus where a bigger city surrounds their campuses, so you have to expect the kind of scene I'm talking about. The campus is big, but beautiful during all four seasons, I love it. If any of you have any questions about MSU in general, I would love to answer them. I did undergrad there, probably won't do law there, but I could provide some info. I had a great experience overall, Go Green!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tch562

New

Post by tch562 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Got in, waiting to see what other schools might give me a chance. I must say, the MSU community has been amazing when answering questions and getting me in touch with current students. Not to mention the scholarship they're giving me (especially for my relatively low stats); definitely makes MSU a SERIOUS contender.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
danquayle wrote:

Thought this was a UM student or grad when I saw the comment, then I wasn't surprised to see Ross School of Business in his profile :wink: However, he does bring up some good points. EL has more of a "house party" nightlife scene, the bar scene isn't great (and I work at one of those). It is fun, but will be a younger (more undergrad age) crowd outside of Beggar's, the Peanut Barrel, and maybe Dublin's and Crunchy's. There are actually more like 10 bars total, 7 in that area around Grand River, MAC, and Abbott. EL is a true college town, not like Ann Arbor, Madison, and Columbus where a bigger city surrounds their campuses, so you have to expect the kind of scene I'm talking about. The campus is big, but beautiful during all four seasons, I love it. If any of you have any questions about MSU in general, I would love to answer them. I did undergrad there, probably won't do law there, but I could provide some info. I had a great experience overall, Go Green!
Me? biased? Naaaaah...

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

danquayle wrote:
Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
danquayle wrote:

Me? biased? Naaaaah...
No worries dude, I'm probably worse than you.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Anyone planning to visit in March?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:Anyone planning to visit in March?
Why March? And also anyone knows about people who successfully negotiated scholy with MSU?

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:45 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:
Why March? And also anyone knows about people who successfully negotiated scholy with MSU?
They just specified in an email sent a few days ago that they would have special tours for admitted students in March; assuming you can visit any time though.

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
patienunderstanding wrote:
They just specified in an email sent a few days ago that they would have special tours for admitted students in March; assuming you can visit any time though.
Thanks, completely forgot about that email lol

ashleydy10

Bronze

Post by ashleydy10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:59 am

Admitted with a 50% tuition scholarship. I am from Miami and decided to apply to MSU after the personal phone call made by an admissions rep. Personal touch was influential. After looking into the school, it has become a serious contender. It appears that my decision will likely come down to MSU or LSU. I am in at LSU with a scholar award that gives me in state tuition PLUS 25% off of that. Looking at about 14k a year for law school at LSU...weighing heavy on me.

Can anyone offer any inside info on MSU and/or East Lansing that would be helpful?

LOVE the midwest. LOVE the outdoors.

I'm terrrriiiiffffiiieeedddd of the winter.. really... terrified. I've never been in weather colder than 40. This may seem like something that can be easily overlooked for those of you who have lived in snow, but for me, it is pretty serious. lol.. and obviously I am looking into the cities these schools are in because the move will most likely be permanent.

Help! Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”