Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
devshall

New

Re: Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016

Post by devshall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 pm

hey there potential Spartans -

Where the heck is a good place to live for law students? I've been looking at The Village at Chandler Crossing (primarily for its location, price, and pet policy... ha). Anyway, I'm worried I might end up somewhere with all undergrads.

Does anyone have any idea on good living locations?

Thanks!

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 pm

devshall wrote:hey there potential Spartans -

Where the heck is a good place to live for law students? I've been looking at The Village at Chandler Crossing (primarily for its location, price, and pet policy... ha). Anyway, I'm worried I might end up somewhere with all undergrads.

Thanks!
I actually lived there as an undergrad my sophomore year, and it is definitely all undergrads. I had so many inconsiderate loud neighbors that it was almost unbearable to live there. If you're not worried about noise it's a very nice place to live. The apartments are really nice and they all have their own bathrooms.

The only thing i truly HATED about Chandler's is the location, it is the farthest thing from campus you'll find..it is almost in a different city. Luckily they paid the bus system some extra cash to bring the buses out there but it takes about a 20/25 min bus ride to the law school. Which is conveniently right next to the bus station. If you're going to be on campus all day it's not bad, i just hated it because I would have only 1 class in the morning and spend more time on the bus commuting than actually in class.

They may have graduate buildings though, I think they do actually.

Here as an offcampus housing website provided by msu, http://offcampushousing.msu.edu/property/rental

I have a friend in law school now that lives in Berrytree apartments, usually med students there. Just check online for suggestions, or email the dean's office,,,they are so helpful

tch562

New

Post by tch562 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 am

Hello ALL. So, this is where I am. MSU was my very first acceptance months ago (thought it might be my only) with a full-tuition scholarship. But, since then I've gotten offers at WUSTL, UC Hastings, Colorado, American, and Lewis&Clark all of which are higher ranked. Now, this might just seem greedy, but has anyone heard of MSU offering housing stipends? Would it be possible to negotiate that because that might seal the deal.

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm

tch562 wrote:Hello ALL. So, this is where I am. MSU was my very first acceptance months ago (thought it might be my only) with a full-tuition scholarship. But, since then I've gotten offers at WUSTL, UC Hastings, Colorado, American, and Lewis&Clark all of which are higher ranked. Now, this might just seem greedy, but has anyone heard of MSU offering housing stipends? Would it be possible to negotiate that because that might seal the deal.

I have never heard of them offering housing stipends. They spend too much money on scholarships for practically everyone :mrgreen:

ctdunlap12

New

Post by ctdunlap12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

Hey Everybody,

Tomorrow I will be meeting Dean Howarth for lunch and I wanted to see if there are any questions that you all have for her. This is a great opportunity for us to get some answers straight from the horse's mouth so ask away! Also, does anyone know how to pronounce her name? Is it Hoe-warth or is it more like Howard? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tier2Allstar

New

Post by Tier2Allstar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Personally i would like to know how succesful the D.C. program has been in creating a conduit for MSU students into that market. Also findout if they are aware of the Paciifc Time Zone. Everytime they call my house its before 7am. There are aprox 249 videos on MSU's website... someone has to say her name on one of them.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Halfway through my admissions cycle, MSU is in the lead, and it looks like that won't change. The amount of debt I would take here compared to the other Tier 2s I applied to would be about half, as I'm guessing I'm not getting any scholarships to any other Tier 2s. Yeah, a big city school would be a nice change since I did my undergrad at MSU, however I'm not about to go $200K+ in debt for that. I also really do love Michigan, although the legal market here concerns me. Another thing drawing me to MSU is their IP program, as I'm an engineering/patent guy. Any others looking to go into IP?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm

tch562 wrote:Hello ALL. So, this is where I am. MSU was my very first acceptance months ago (thought it might be my only) with a full-tuition scholarship. But, since then I've gotten offers at WUSTL, UC Hastings, Colorado, American, and Lewis&Clark all of which are higher ranked. Now, this might just seem greedy, but has anyone heard of MSU offering housing stipends? Would it be possible to negotiate that because that might seal the deal.
You really ought to be WUSTLing. I don't know that any of the others merit passing up a full ride for, but WUSTL has much better placement than MSU.

And about negotiation... it never hurts to ask.

cinnamonchurros

New

Post by cinnamonchurros » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

They don't. I was genuinely curious and emailed them with proof that I was accepted to higher ranked law schools (1 in the T14). They responded and said that their scholarships do not apply to housing and that housing stipends are not available.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks!
I personally haven't lived at Chandlers, but have spent some time there, and spartanlaw gave you some good info. As a 1L, I would personally look elsewhere, although Chandlers isn't exactly party central like the Cedar Village area or Hastlett Arms, so noise shouldn't be TOO bad. There a ton of affordable 1-2 bedroom apartments available if you're willing to bus or commute in ($600/700 a month for living alone, $400/500 with a roommate). Burcham Place/Burcham Woods, Abbott Place/Abbott Pointe, the Oaks, Berrytree to name just a few. There's also options in Lansing if you're willing to live a little further away.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:

Thanks!
I personally haven't lived at Chandlers, but have spent some time there, and spartanlaw gave you some good info. As a 1L, I would personally look elsewhere, although Chandlers isn't exactly party central like the Cedar Village area or Hastlett Arms, so noise shouldn't be TOO bad. There a ton of affordable 1-2 bedroom apartments available if you're willing to bus or commute in ($600/700 a month for living alone, $400/500 with a roommate). Burcham Place/Burcham Woods, Abbott Place/Abbott Pointe, the Oaks, Berrytree to name just a few. There's also options in Lansing if you're willing to live a little further away.
You can get a decent 2BD in Hillcrest Villages which is about a mile from campus. Just walkable if you need to.

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Is anyone thinking about making a facebook page for those certain to attend??

ctdunlap12

New

Post by ctdunlap12 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm

I just created a "group" called MSU College of Law Class of 2016... but I'm not sure what the difference is between a "group" and a "page" so if I didn't do it right, someone can step in and fix it. I think spartanlaw877 and I agree though that it's a good idea for us to start networking with each other early. I set it as a closed group so if you search for it, you should be able to find it and then I'll have to accept a request to join (had to do it this way so that our posts were kept private). Look forward to meeting you all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

devshall

New

Post by devshall » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:48 pm

ctdunlap12 wrote:I just created a "group" called MSU College of Law Class of 2016... but I'm not sure what the difference is between a "group" and a "page" so if I didn't do it right, someone can step in and fix it. I think spartanlaw877 and I agree though that it's a good idea for us to start networking with each other early. I set it as a closed group so if you search for it, you should be able to find it and then I'll have to accept a request to join (had to do it this way so that our posts were kept private). Look forward to meeting you all!
I just tried to search it and can't find it!

PS - anyone attending the March 9th Visit Day?

PPS - someone definitely should make a Facebook group - if there isn't one yet, I can set one up.

andygreen12

New

Post by andygreen12 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Hey guys, will be attending next year. Looking at living in The lodges of east lansing http://thelodgesofeastlansing.com/ has anyone heard anything about it. They look very nice and its close to campus. Would most likely be looking at a two or three bedroom.

ashleydy10

Bronze

Post by ashleydy10 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Have you seen UC Hastings???? It is in such a horrendous area that I drove by saying "oh hell no I would never go to school here." It truly is a rough part of town. The tenderloin is no joke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:12 pm

andygreen12 wrote:Hey guys, will be attending next year. Looking at living in The lodges of east lansing http://thelodgesofeastlansing.com/ has anyone heard anything about it. They look very nice and its close to campus. Would most likely be looking at a two or three bedroom.
The lodges are really nice, and all positive reviews. You'll get a lot of undergrads there, if you're concerned with that. They also have a private bus that takes you anywhere on campus.

The only downside is the price, crazy expensive...yet so is law school.

skwerlz3

New

parking on campus

Post by skwerlz3 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm

What is the parking like on campus?

jne381

Platinum

Re: parking on campus

Post by jne381 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

skwerlz3 wrote:What is the parking like on campus?
If you commute, you can get a parking lot permit that is about a mile from the law school, and ride a bus that drops you off right next to the law college. Or you can pay the meters to park in the lot right next to the law college (25 cents per 6 or 10 minutes I think). Some people park in that lot and just take the ticket ($10 if paid within 24 hours). There is the Wharton garage across the street from the law college that also charges a fee, but I think it is reduced if you have the parking permit for the other lot. However, if you have a class that gets out after 9 or 9:30pm (I forget what time), or you are just going to stay late to study, the lot opens up and you can leave without paying.

andygreen12

New

Post by andygreen12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm

@spartan Thank you for your help!

Hey has anyone found a site to order some t-shirts or hoodies online? I found a ton of MSU stuff but none for the law college.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

overperformer

New

Post by overperformer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 am

checking in with a full tuition faculty scholarship. probably will be going here come fall

anyone else going to the program on the 23rd?

devshall

New

Post by devshall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:50 pm

random, but does anyone know if MSU has a history of scholarship negotiation? i have gotten a couple of emails from other schools offering to negotiate and wondered if it was the norm. MSU is my first choice but more money was never a problem... haha.

mtm19

New

Post by mtm19 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am

Accepted with a scholarship offer of 50% tuition. I'm from Canada and I've been accepted at a Canadian school as well, and tuition is much cheaper in Canada. With the scholarship its close to equal though, and MSU's dual degree option is very appealing to me because I am not sure where I want to work after graduation. The ability to work in either country has me seriously considering MSU. I know you have to finish in the top half of your class to qualify for the dual degree, but it's still definitely enticing.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 pm

spartanlaw877 wrote:

Thanks!
I actually lived there as an undergrad my sophomore year, and it is definitely all undergrads. I had so many inconsiderate loud neighbors that it was almost unbearable to live there. If you're not worried about noise it's a very nice place to live. The apartments are really nice and they all have their own bathrooms.

The only thing i truly HATED about Chandler's is the location, it is the farthest thing from campus you'll find..it is almost in a different city. Luckily they paid the bus system some extra cash to bring the buses out there but it takes about a 20/25 min bus ride to the law school. Which is conveniently right next to the bus station. If you're going to be on campus all day it's not bad, i just hated it because I would have only 1 class in the morning and spend more time on the bus commuting than actually in class.

They may have graduate buildings though, I think they do actually.

Here as an offcampus housing website provided by msu, http://offcampushousing.msu.edu/property/rental

I have a friend in law school now that lives in Berrytree apartments, usually med students there. Just check online for suggestions, or email the dean's office,,,they are so helpful
Lot's of hot girls though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”