Duke Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
beautyistruth

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2016

Post by beautyistruth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 pm

If I have a 3.71/172 and an acceptance at NYU, might I be able to use that acceptance to leverage some scholarship money from Duke?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:53 am

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:20 am

In light of my scholarship and the recently released NLJ numbers I think Duke might have officially won me over. Anyway else want to join me in Durham in August? Slack, I've seen you posting in a couple of Duke threads, you coming?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:29 am

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 am

BigZuck wrote:In light of my scholarship and the recently released NLJ numbers I think Duke might have officially won me over. Anyway else want to join me in Durham in August? Slack, I've seen you posting in a couple of Duke threads, you coming?
I'm 100% heading to Durham in August. I'm from the south and love the campus. Which NLJ numbers are you referencing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whosonfirst

New

Post by whosonfirst » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 am

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 am

whosonfirst wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true

Did you mean this?
When was this released? Not sure if I've seen it before.

joedf

Bronze

Post by joedf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 am

BigZuck wrote:In light of my scholarship and the recently released NLJ numbers I think Duke might have officially won me over. Anyway else want to join me in Durham in August? Slack, I've seen you posting in a couple of Duke threads, you coming?
How much money did you get/what are your numbers, if I can ask?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 am

joedf wrote:
How much money did you get/what are your numbers, if I can ask?
People are starting to update their LSNs with scholarships. Should be more this week.
http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

And yes I was referring to the NLJ numbers linked above. Duke also has had good clerkship numbers. They have been outplacing MVB lately (although I don't want to start a flame war with people who scream self selection, etc. so I'll just leave it at that). Anyway I know this site could care less about Duke for the most part but I am very excited about potentially attending.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whosonfirst

New

Post by whosonfirst » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:25 am

BigZuck wrote:Anyway I know this site could care less about Duke for the most part but I am very excited about potentially attending.
I've noticed this too and was wondering about it. Maybe it's the lack of Dukies on TLS in the first place? I'd say that was because of the small class except Cornell has a huge presence (their 1L taking Q's thread is like 200 pages long).

Whatever it is, feels like their loss!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 am

whosonfirst wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true

Did you mean this?
Depending on what kind of scholarship money Duke is willing to give me, I might give it a very, very serious look based on these numbers and it's federal clerkship placement. Also visited the campus with my wife (who did her LLM there) and was very impressed.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 am

whosonfirst wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Anyway I know this site could care less about Duke for the most part but I am very excited about potentially attending.
I've noticed this too and was wondering about it. Maybe it's the lack of Dukies on TLS in the first place? I'd say that was because of the small class except Cornell has a huge presence (their 1L taking Q's thread is like 200 pages long).

People hear "t14 or bust" and then look at the numbers required to get into certain schools and see that Cornell has the lowest admissions standards and then they start gunning for there (a lot of the same people do that for Berkeley. They see 167 and holistic and think they can get in. Lolno, Berkeley is a super tough nut to crack). It also has Ivy prestige. Cornell gets flack from the high number subset of this site that are T6 or bust but the subset of this site that are very much on the fringes and just trying to get any old T14 to bite think its great.

Duke is located in the south (which for many on the coasts south= filled with conservative racists), it is in a smaller city (which for many= boring), it is not an Ivy, and it is not splitter friendly (which is not great for a site that is very splitter friendly).

I'm thinking that all that is why it is the least popular T14. But as far as I can tell placement wise it's just about as good as NU (which TLS loves). Problem is its not in Chicago and it doesn't ignore poor GPAs so nobody cares about it.

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm

whosonfirst wrote:

+1. I would say though that Georgetown gets the most hate/non-love from TLS. I think Duke is mostly ignored :).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 pm

curious66 wrote:
whosonfirst wrote:

+1. I would say though that Georgetown gets the most hate/non-love from TLS. I think Duke is mostly ignored :).
Yeah, I don't think people hate Duke, they just don't even think about. Duke also doesn't have an agonizingly long process for most people due to PT so they apply and a week or two later they are accepted and move on. They don't get to obsess over it for month like, say, Columbia or Cornell.

GULC is the most applied to law school in the country so tons of people think about it and want to go there. It's just the TLS crowd in general who really don't think much of it.

whosonfirst

New

Post by whosonfirst » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:
curious66 wrote:
whosonfirst wrote:

Yeah, I don't think people hate Duke, they just don't even think about. Duke also doesn't have an agonizingly long process for most people due to PT so they apply and a week or two later they are accepted and move on. They don't get to obsess over it for month like, say, Columbia or Cornell.

GULC is the most applied to law school in the country so tons of people think about it and want to go there. It's just the TLS crowd in general who really don't think much of it.
I think GULC gets applied to for the same reason mentioned by Zuck above - it's the lowest of the T14 so people think that might be their easiest shot to break into them. And it gets hate from two sources: the people that know how bad its placement is (and get into multiple T14s) and the people who are rejected (and see their chances of T14 fly away with it).
BigZuck wrote:Duke is located in the south (which for many on the coasts south= filled with conservative racists), it is in a smaller city (which for many= boring), it is not an Ivy, and it is not splitter friendly (which is not great for a site that is very splitter friendly).
UVa is almost exactly that except for the fact that it is very splitter friendly. Kind of says everything, doesn't it?

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Visited Duke this weekend. It was beautiful -- the law school and the campus. That said, unless I get a mega financial aid offer, which I am not expecting, I don't think I will attend. But damn, it was pretty. I liked Durham a lot too.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 pm

risa wrote:Visited Duke this weekend. It was beautiful -- the law school and the campus. That said, unless I get a mega financial aid offer, which I am not expecting, I don't think I will attend. But damn, it was pretty. I liked Durham a lot too.
Where you headed instead?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 am

BigZuck wrote:
risa wrote:Visited Duke this weekend. It was beautiful -- the law school and the campus. That said, unless I get a mega financial aid offer, which I am not expecting, I don't think I will attend. But damn, it was pretty. I liked Durham a lot too.
Where you headed instead?
I am really unsure still, as so much rides on financial aid for me. I suppose UCLA is the front runner right now since they are by far the most generous offer I've gotten, but I've yet to visit (never even been to LA). If public interest scholarships come through at either NYU or Penn (unlikely), I would probably jump at either of those. I also love Northwestern but am losing hope that Johann will get me a decision and (if I'm admitted) financial aid info in time for me to seriously consider. Then there is always the pipe dream of H or S, which I'd probably drop everything for.

oh yeah, whoops - this thread is about Duke...

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 am

Can any current Duke law students comment on the following:

1. Dinning/meal plans I know we find our own apartments as grad students, but does the university allow a reduced dining/meal plan option for grad students or does everyone do their own thing ?
2. Have you had an issue finding a peer study group given the smaller class size and the fact that there is no official grad student housing?
3. Is having official grades vs. pass/fail hurt or help during the job search?

WearyCartographer

New

Post by WearyCartographer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 pm

curious66 wrote:Can any current Duke law students comment on the following:

1. Dinning/meal plans I know we find our own apartments as grad students, but does the university allow a reduced dining/meal plan option for grad students or does everyone do their own thing ?
2. Have you had an issue finding a peer study group given the smaller class size and the fact that there is no official grad student housing?
3. Is having official grades vs. pass/fail hurt or help during the job search?
2L Here.

1. I don't know of any law students who are on any type of university meal plan. You can access any of the on campus dining options without a meal plan - so I don't think it would be that much of a benefit. There's a cafe open for breakfast and lunch on weekdays right in the law school (its a bit overpriced, but decent food), the business school next door has a larger cafeteria with the same hours, and then about a five to ten minute walk is the Bryan Center with lots of food options. The vast majority of people are home by dinner time hours.

2. This is not at all an issue. Like any new environment, you just have to put yourself out there and meet your new classmates. As far as study groups go - they will almost certainly be people from your small section and I didn't see anyone who had trouble finding someone to study with. I'm not a big study group person, but I had no problem finding a small group of good friends to review with in the days before finals.

3. I like the fact that nothing, including legal writing, is pass/fail at Duke. I can't point to the fact that I had a grade in legal writing as definite proof of why I did well in OCI, but I do think it's a class that both employers and judges (for clerkships) care about and having a good one can only help you. That said - I did well - but this can also cut the other way. FWIW, I know ppl who did poorly in legal writing but well in their core 1L classes and had no problem landing great jobs through OCI.

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm

THANKS!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Anyone headed to ASW Apr 4?

Think I'm headed there for sure.

Now just have to figure out if I fly my girlfriend out to see Duke or Mich (she can only take one day off work).

Decisions decisions...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 am

megagnarley wrote:Anyone headed to ASW Apr 4?

Now just have to figure out if I fly my girlfriend out to see Duke or Mich (she can only take one day off work).

Decisions decisions...
I will be there for sure.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 am

BigZuck wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Anyone headed to ASW Apr 4?

Decisions decisions...
I will be there for sure.
I'll mark that a '1' in the win column.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”