Duke Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
curious66

Re: Duke Law Class of 2016

Postby curious66 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm

dsn32 wrote:
Audeamus wrote:For those who have visited, what did people think of the Law School Building? I really like the idea of everything law school related being accessible/consolidated in one building, but I'd love to here the thoughts of those who have visited.

The building does the job. Star Commons is on-par with the new Commons at UMich I'd say, and all the classrooms we saw on ASW were very nice. Some of the corridors are a little aged, but to be honest, the building serves its purpose.

The only thing I disliked was that the on-site cafe closes at 3 pm everyday. The only other option for food in the vicinity is the B-School cafeteria.

I liked the building, it is nice and open. It doesn't have the incredible architecture as UMich, but it is quite nice anyway. I did hear the B-school cafeteria has better food variety/selection, so maybe it is not too bad to walk over anyway.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:39 pm

The only thing I disliked was that the on-site cafe closes at 3 pm everyday. The only other option for food in the vicinity is the B-School cafeteria.

The B-school cafeteria is literally right next door, and there is also a sandwich cafe in the Public Policy building, right across the street 100 yards away from the law school...there's also a cafe/smoothie bar in the gym one block away, and like 6 more different places to eat if you are willing to walk 2 blocks to the student union... :roll: :roll: :roll:

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 am

Flying out to visit next Thursday, one day before deposits are due.

I know not a soul in the area so does anyone have any ideas of areas/bars/restaurants to check out while I'm there?

I want to make sure I get a good feel for more than just the law school itself.

amsong

Postby amsong » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 am

Pro-tip: Do not use your bank's billpay to pay the deposit. Send a check or money order via FedEx or UPS. Your bank will send the check via USPS, and your bank will not be able to track said check, and said check will get lost within the bowels of the postal system.

Source: Fuck you, Bank of America.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

For the JD/MA joint program, is the total cost just the one-time summer payment and the three years of JD? Or does the MA charge separately... I was under the impression that the initial 17k in the summer took care of the graduate tuition....

whosonfirst

Postby whosonfirst » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 am

megagnarley wrote:Flying out to visit next Thursday, one day before deposits are due.

I know not a soul in the area so does anyone have any ideas of areas/bars/restaurants to check out while I'm there?

Nanataco is delicious. I think in some other thread about Duke someone mentioned Fullsteam Brewery?

whosonfirst

Postby whosonfirst » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 am

So I'll be at Duke in the fall! I'm mailing in my deposit today. So glad the decision is done and now I can start looking at housing.

Postby 06102016 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am

amsong

Postby amsong » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm officially deposited as a JD/LLM (International and Comparative Law) summer starter. Really looking forward to seeing fellow summer people in May.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:24 am

50/50 chance I will be joining some of you in the Fall :)

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:21 am

slack_academic wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Flying out to visit next Thursday, one day before deposits are due.

Okay, so... restaurants. There's a great place for burgers called Bull City Brewing Co. Would recommend. There's also a place called Dame's Chicken and Waffles. It's really, really good, but it gets super crowded so if you want to eat there you should book a reservation in advance (24+ hours in advance) and not eat for a while before going there. They give you a lot of food. Their mac and cheese was some of the best I've had.

If you can manage it, maybe see a Durham Bulls game? That's the minor league baseball team and everyone said that's pretty fun. I wasn't able to, but could be cool. Law students do that occasionally and tickets are pretty cheap. There's a restaurant overlooking the field with a nice selection of beers. I'm not sure how it works if you want to eat there during a game, but worth looking into.

If you have time (and a car) you could also make your way to Chapel Hill. It's like 20 mins away and I think the law students go to the bars there sometimes.

Awesome. Most gracias!

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 am

Hi,

So, I am deciding between Michigan and Duke -- and someone mentioned to pick Michigan due to the kinds/prestige of the firms that recruit at Michigan. Something to the effect of the top firms recruiting at Michigan. The school mentions this on the website also, but I wanted to get a perspective from someone who actually attends and has gone through OCI. At Duke ASW, they handed out a long list of firms that folks had gone to and Michigan has something similar posted on their website. I'm really torn between the two schools. Thoughts please.

FeraFera

Postby FeraFera » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:06 am

curious66 wrote:Hi,

So, I am deciding between Michigan and Duke -- and someone mentioned to pick Michigan due to the kinds/prestige of the firms that recruit at Michigan. Something to the effect of the top firms recruiting at Michigan. The school mentions this on the website also, but I wanted to get a perspective from someone who actually attends and has gone through OCI. At Duke ASW, they handed out a long list of firms that folks had gone to and Michigan has something similar posted on their website. I'm really torn between the two schools. Thoughts please.

you must be kidding.

PM2353

Postby PM2353 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 am

Both schools are prestigious and are both top law programs. They both attract some of the best firms in the country. In either school you will most likely need good grades to secure a job working for a top firm.

I think if you are deciding between the two, I think it's more important to asses other factors like cost of attendance, quality of life, and where you wish to work. But if you want a prestigious law firm job then both schools are the same more or less. You just need some great grades and to interview well.

Good luck making your decision.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 am

On a tangential note, does anyone have a list of firms that go to Duke OCI? (doesn't necessarily have to be complete)

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am

I'm not sure it's helpful to ask people their "perspective" about recruitment numbers. Numbers are cold hard facts that you need to research using reports published by the law schools as well as external reports like the NLJ's and LST's. Asking people about their impressions and feelings is not going to yield you any valuable data.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 am

Aawaldrop wrote:On a tangential note, does anyone have a list of firms that go to Duke OCI? (doesn't necessarily have to be complete)

They handed out a list at ASW.. That was the most comprehensive list I have seen thus far.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:27 am

PM2353 wrote:

Both schools are prestigious and are both top law programs. They both attract some of the best firms in the country. In either school you will most likely need good grades to secure a job working for a top firm.

I think if you are deciding between the two, I think it's more important to asses other factors like cost of attendance, quality of life, and where you wish to work. But if you want a prestigious law firm job then both schools are the same more or less. You just need some great grades and to interview well.

Good luck making your decision.

Thank you --

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:14 am

curious66 wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:On a tangential note, does anyone have a list of firms that go to Duke OCI? (doesn't necessarily have to be complete)

They handed out a list at ASW.. That was the most comprehensive list I have seen thus far.

Does anyone have said list?

On another note, what all forms do I have to send in with the deposit. Just the accept form and the scholarship contract and acceptance?

whosonfirst

Postby whosonfirst » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:27 pm

The scholarship contract + the acceptance of the scholarship + the acceptance of admission. I did a money order through USPS and express mailed it and they got it the next day.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:
curious66 wrote:

Does anyone have said list?

On another note, what all forms do I have to send in with the deposit. Just the accept form and the scholarship contract and acceptance?

There was a poster sometime back on this thread that offered to mail it out to those that PM'd him. My version is a hardcopy (several pages long) and thus I would have to get it scanned in order to ship it out to anyone.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:59 pm

whosonfirst wrote:The scholarship contract + the acceptance of the scholarship + the acceptance of admission. I did a money order through USPS and express mailed it and they got it the next day.

Thanks!

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to those still deciding and congrats to those headed to Duke in the fall! It's an amazing school and the choice to withdraw was difficult. Hopefully this will free up 72K for a fellow TLSer, though!

AnaMariana42

Postby AnaMariana42 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Just deposited. I sent my scholarship acceptance form to the finaid office, though, while the deposit went to the admissions office... I think that's what they said to do? Hope I didn't mail anything to the wrong place.

ryantw

Postby ryantw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm

AnaMariana42 wrote:Just deposited. I sent my scholarship acceptance form to the finaid office, though, while the deposit went to the admissions office... I think that's what they said to do? Hope I didn't mail anything to the wrong place.

If I'm not mistaken, the two offices are basically one within the other. I'm pretty sure that the financial aid office is essentially housed within the admissions office. Again, could be completely wrong, but that is what it seemed like at ASW.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”