Duke Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
fallingup

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2016

Post by fallingup » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 am

I also got the same impression from ASW. The faculty and admins seemed to really care about the students. Maybe its because its a small school, maybe its because its in Durham so everyone's life revolves around the Duke community. Even in my admissions interview, Dean Note spent like 15 minutes going on and on about different students whom the ad mins, faculty, or career services people had assisted in getting a job when for whatever reason they had no prospects at grad.

whosonfirst

New

Post by whosonfirst » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 am

PM2353 wrote:Whosonfirt,

I felt the same way at ASW. What did you think about how they viewed the legal market? Do you feel like they were genuine or did you think they were kinda stretching the truth?

I'm asking cause I had such a good time. Didn't wanna be caught drinking the kool aid. ASW was awesome and I really wanna attend after a great event.
Honestly, this is pretty much the same spiel you'll hear at any school. Dean Mitchell of Case Western is pretty much saying the same thing about low app #s so take Dean Levi's talk with a grain of salt. I will say though that Duke obviously backs this up with their employment #s. I really think this is due to the small class - from what I heard throughout asw, the small class seems to allow profs to really connect with students and the career staff to focus on the student's goals/interests/background, not just the obvious paths of PI/gov't and biglaw.

I mentioned this in the admit forum but Duke offered one-on-one career and financial counseling during the event. The other ASWs I've attended thus far have either had no fin aid offerings whatsoever or just a panel for general questions. The fact that Duke was able to offer this says a lot about the power of the small class matched with the resources of any T-14.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 am

PM2353 wrote:and they had a cafeteria in the law building
In the interest of full disclosure, you should not eat here. Fuqua (the business school) is right across the street and has much better food (including Indian catered by a local restaurant). The Bryan Center is nearby and also has some pretty solid options (Panda Express, Subway, Au Bon Pain, etc.).

I think the overall vibe in here from ASW is pretty accurate, though. I'm almost a 3L, and I still think Duke is an awesome place to go to law school. The people really are that friendly, and the professors and staff really are that helpful. (Off the top of my head, I can think of a professor who helped a student land a clerkship, and a dean who pulled some strings to help a student land biglaw after striking out at OCI.)

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 am

fallingup wrote:I also got the same impression from ASW. The faculty and admins seemed to really care about the students. Maybe its because its a small school, maybe its because its in Durham so everyone's life revolves around the Duke community. Even in my admissions interview, Dean Note spent like 15 minutes going on and on about different students whom the ad mins, faculty, or career services people had assisted in getting a job when for whatever reason they had no prospects at grad.
I'm glad to hear that people enjoyed ASW. I'm a current student. I may have even met some of you. I had a great time three years ago, and it's largely what convinced me to enroll.

I think what you've said here holds true. I don't know many students who struggled to find work, but for those I do know, I'm also aware of professors who took them under their wing, called in favors, and helped get them interviews. There's nothing stopping you from forming those kinds of relationships with the faculty. In fact, it's the norm. I'm really reserved around professors (much more so than most of my classmates), but even I've gotten to know them well. Over the course of three years, I've worked one on one with professors, met them for lunch, and been invited over for dinner on multiple occasions. I'm sure it's a good thing if you need some job help, but it also just makes law school more pleasant.

Anyway, if any of you have questions about Duke, feel free to PM me. I probably have a rosy view of things since law school worked out so well for me and most of my friends, but I'll try to answer honestly. I know more about biglaw hiring (particularly New York, where I'm headed) than I do about public interest hiring.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 pm

PM2353 wrote:The dean speaking about how it's a great time to be in law school in te beginning. He then rationalized the unemployment of students (being sick, failing the bar, parenthood etc). They also spoke to me personally about how they gave us the names of employers of graduates. They said Duke was still putting out great employment numbers.

Now, whether this is partly fabricated is up for debate. I'm sure they understated the severity of the legal job crisis, but they gave assurance that it was a great time to go to Duke law school. (In the beginning address, they kinda made a back handed comment that the rise in number of law schools were part of the problem)

What did you think BigZuck?
I thought ASW was great! Admitted students I met where all cool and intelligent, ditto current students who were also super friendly and personable. The campus is beautiful and it's obvious that the university in general has a lot of resources (and $$$$) to have so many impressive buildings, programs, etc. for such a small student body. Impressed by how modern and large the law school itself was (again for such a small student body) and by the end it very much felt like home. Durham is dirt cheap compared to other places I have lived and I had fun at the different bars and restaurants (great food scene). It's a smaller city but just my pace and super easy to get around in. The professors were all great and very helpful, some giving me rides, offering to exchange emails if I had further questions, etc. I also got to speak to Dean Levi for a few minutes and that was really great, he's very approachable and likeable and obviously is great at his job. All in all Duke was fantastic.

All things being equal Duke has been my top choice throughout this process. Money wise I hope I can find a way to make it make sense and if I can I will definitely be attending in the fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anarkali

New

Post by anarkali » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Officially checking in. Sending in my deposit tomorrow!

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 pm

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:12 pm

anarkali wrote:Officially checking in. Sending in my deposit tomorrow!
Congrats!! Join the facebook page if you haven't already & fill out the doc for roommates if you are looking for one.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Any comparisons for those who've visited both Mich and Duke?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 pm

megagnarley wrote:Any comparisons for those who've visited both Mich and Duke?
Duke has better employment outcomes and isn't in a frozen tundra.

*Disclaimer- never visited Michigan.

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Huge win for Duke.

whosonfirst

New

Post by whosonfirst » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Audeamus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Huge win for Duke.
+1

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 pm

whosonfirst wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Huge win for Duke.
+1
Meaning in comparison to Mich? Any specific points of comparison?

Sorry just couldn't make it to Duke because of finances so super curious to hear from those who saw both.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 pm

megagnarley wrote:
whosonfirst wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Huge win for Duke.
+1
Meaning in comparison to Mich? Any specific points of comparison?

Sorry just couldn't make it to Duke because of finances so super curious to hear from those who saw both.
PM me.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 am

Edit: drunk phone tlsing. Reply=\= pm
Last edited by megagnarley on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am

megagnarley wrote:Hey man. So I'm pretty sure we were at mich asw together. I absolutely fell in love with that school but didn't have a chance to make it to Duke because of financials.

Any points of comparisons or a quick contrast you could give me between the two and maybe aa/Durham? I really loved a2 and don't mind the cold.
PM'ed. Can send the same synopsis to anyone else who'd like it.

DipNote

New

Post by DipNote » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Hey team Duke,

Looks like this is most-likely where I'll end up! After 7 awesome WLs from the rest of the T14, Duke is making this a somewhat easy decision.

Has anyone attempted to up their schollys simply by asking for additional help? I've had two offers of equal amounts from comparable schools who are located in slightly better locations. Has anyone attempted to simply ask FinAid, what more can they do?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 pm

DipNote wrote:Hey team Duke,

Looks like this is most-likely where I'll end up! After 7 awesome WLs from the rest of the T14, Duke is making this a somewhat easy decision.

Has anyone attempted to up their schollys simply by asking for additional help? I've had two offers of equal amounts from comparable schools who are located in slightly better locations. Has anyone attempted to simply ask FinAid, what more can they do?

Thanks!
I have. They increased my offer a little. PM for details.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 am

Any summer starters deposited yet? Did you get confirmation? I emailed on Friday morning to see if they got my check, but no reply. I know a bunch of decisions went out on Friday, though, so maybe they're just busy.

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:13 pm

intlsplitr wrote:

Thanks!
When did you initially ask for the increase? I asked in early March and they replied I should hear back by early to mid April. Still haven't heard back.

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 pm

AllDangle wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

Thanks!
When did you initially ask for the increase? I asked in early March and they replied I should hear back by early to mid April. Still haven't heard back.
I requested it Tuesday and heard back on Thursday. I had a competing deposit deadline on Friday, and asked for an expedited response.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:39 pm

AllDangle wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

Thanks!
It probably wouldn't hurt to call them tomorrow to follow up.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 am

Welcome to TLS

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

For those who have visited, what did people think of the Law School Building? I really like the idea of everything law school related being accessible/consolidated in one building, but I'd love to here the thoughts of those who have visited.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

Audeamus wrote:For those who have visited, what did people think of the Law School Building? I really like the idea of everything law school related being accessible/consolidated in one building, but I'd love to here the thoughts of those who have visited.
The building does the job. Star Commons is on-par with the new Commons at UMich I'd say, and all the classrooms we saw on ASW were very nice. Some of the corridors are a little aged, but to be honest, the building serves its purpose.

The only thing I disliked was that the on-site cafe closes at 3 pm everyday. The only other option for food in the vicinity is the B-School cafeteria.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”