Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
angross wrote:
Yeah that's really frustrating. That's exactly what I tried to do too. If I'm going to sacrifice my first preference of a studio, I wanted to have the cheapest possible apartment share. Did they give you the option of switching to UAH housing instead? Might be too late but that could give you some cheaper options.


They offered me that, but I'd rather pay more to be closer to the law school and surrounded by other people in law school at least for the first year.


Yeah makes sense, that was my thinking too. I hope we all hear soon so we can start nailing down who's hosting the orientation parties.


I had a similar issue (not with rent but with unfurnished/furnished) and just got the approval email and another email saying my application has been turned over the UAH since there aren't anymore unfurnished law school slots left. Not bummed, I've heard UAH housing is better generally in terms of space/amenities!


Weird - I also requested unfurnished and they stuck me in Lenfest anyway.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm

I got housing!!!!

Never got an approved email.

Lionsgate share was first choice, 115th share was second choice.

My assignment is 411 115th Three Bedroom for $1250 utilities included. And the exact move-in period I requested. I'm happy.

ETA: Forgot to mention that it's furnished.
Last edited by KingFish on Thu May 30, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm

KingFish wrote:I got housing!!!!

Never got an approved email.

Lionsgate share was first choice, 115th share was second choice.

My assignment is 411 115th Three Bedroom for $1250 utilities included. And the exact move-in period I requested. I'm happy.


Congrats!! Weird about the no approval email. Hopefully that means assignments for the rest of us are coming soon! Not a bad deal for you either!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 2:59 pm

KingFish wrote:I got housing!!!!

Never got an approved email.

Lionsgate share was first choice, 115th share was second choice.

My assignment is 411 115th Three Bedroom for $1250 utilities included. And the exact move-in period I requested. I'm happy.

ETA: Forgot to mention that it's furnished.


thats a sick price, congrats. is that three separate bedrooms with a shared living space/kitchen?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:10 pm

paid for my couples housing. officially living on 116th. still no idea what it looks like, how big it is, or any other details lol. this feels like a far more impulsive decision than choosing CLS for some reason, even tho I've been waiting for two weeks to deposit but no one could give me any information.

when we move in and sign the lease, how many months do we sign for? is there a stipulated amount or do we get to choose?

also does anyone know what utilities will be, roughly?

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
KingFish wrote:I got housing!!!!

Never got an approved email.

Lionsgate share was first choice, 115th share was second choice.

My assignment is 411 115th Three Bedroom for $1250 utilities included. And the exact move-in period I requested. I'm happy.

ETA: Forgot to mention that it's furnished.


thats a sick price, congrats. is that three separate bedrooms with a shared living space/kitchen?

yep, the living room's a totally separate room down the hall from the kitchen

User avatar
battlerifle13
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby battlerifle13 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:25 pm

KingFish wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
KingFish wrote:I got housing!!!!

Never got an approved email.

Lionsgate share was first choice, 115th share was second choice.

My assignment is 411 115th Three Bedroom for $1250 utilities included. And the exact move-in period I requested. I'm happy.

ETA: Forgot to mention that it's furnished.


thats a sick price, congrats. is that three separate bedrooms with a shared living space/kitchen?

yep, the living room's a totally separate room down the hall from the kitchen

i got the exact same thing!

same order of preferences, too (lionsgate, 115th)

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8516
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby MCFC » Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:paid for my couples housing. officially living on 116th. still no idea what it looks like, how big it is, or any other details lol. this feels like a far more impulsive decision than choosing CLS for some reason, even tho I've been waiting for two weeks to deposit but no one could give me any information.

when we move in and sign the lease, how many months do we sign for? is there a stipulated amount or do we get to choose?

also does anyone know what utilities will be, roughly?


I believe all leases last until May 31.

As for utility bills, I've been wondering the same thing. Found this, but not sure how helpful it is: http://www.coned.com/documents/average_ ... _bills.pdf

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 30, 2013 3:54 pm

MCFC wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:paid for my couples housing. officially living on 116th. still no idea what it looks like, how big it is, or any other details lol. this feels like a far more impulsive decision than choosing CLS for some reason, even tho I've been waiting for two weeks to deposit but no one could give me any information.

when we move in and sign the lease, how many months do we sign for? is there a stipulated amount or do we get to choose?

also does anyone know what utilities will be, roughly?


I believe all leases last until May 31.

As for utility bills, I've been wondering the same thing. Found this, but not sure how helpful it is: http://www.coned.com/documents/average_ ... _bills.pdf


That's great, actually - you can check your usage on previous energy bills, for those who don't normally dive into these things.

In Chicago (similar climate), our usage was about 200-300 kWh/mo during spring/summer/fall, and 600-800 kWh in winter. My usage is probably higher than most (we have electric heat and stove, and I run some other high-wattage stuff like a projector/gaming pc, plus there are two of us). So that's a bill of about $70 in non-winter and $150 in winter, according to that chart. But YMMV considerably; if you spend most of your evenings in the library I bet you could get it down to 1/3 of what I pay. I imagine it's actually a lot less than that even for my numbers.

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby smdpnp » Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 pm

CU also has their own estimate tucked away at the bottom of this page.
Heat and hot water is included in all rents. Please note that in units where utilities (gas and electricity) are not included, an additional cost of approximately $70-$150 a month per apartment (not per person) should be anticipated.

I guess all I need is a power generator that runs on hot water, if that exists.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby txdude45 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 pm

smdpnp wrote:I guess all I need is a power generator that runs on hot water, if that exists.


I saw a thing on one of the 1000 Alaskan wilderness reality tv shows and this guy had a generator that ran on water from a stream passing through it.

User avatar
Audeamus
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Audeamus » Fri May 31, 2013 12:11 pm

ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED


YAY!

User avatar
Audeamus
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Audeamus » Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:Interesting! I requested unfurnished too ...I hope they don't stick me with furnished, though I guess if I get my wish of a studio, I should just be grateful for that.


My sense from speaking with Juliana is that housing makes every effort to put those of us who let her know about our furry friends in unfurnished places.

User avatar
jubee
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby jubee » Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 pm

do people actually get/need renters insurance?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Fri May 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Audeamus wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Interesting! I requested unfurnished too ...I hope they don't stick me with furnished, though I guess if I get my wish of a studio, I should just be grateful for that.


My sense from speaking with Juliana is that housing makes every effort to put those of us who let her know about our furry friends in unfurnished places.


I hope so! Jules is still giving me the cold shoulder.

kakistocracy
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:44 pm

For paperwork like loan stuff (MPN, loan sheet, etc.) and the immunization record - does Columbia give you confirmation that they've received the materials? Or is there some way to check receipt?

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby joiedevivre18 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:09 am

kakistocracy wrote:For paperwork like loan stuff (MPN, loan sheet, etc.) and the immunization record - does Columbia give you confirmation that they've received the materials? Or is there some way to check receipt?


+1 to this question. I submitted a bunch of documents a few weeks ago (Dean's Cert, final transcript, immunization) but no confirmation.

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Aussiebum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Quick change of subject here: I was looking at the academic calendar and it seems like we have a holiday break from 12/19 to 01/22. Can anyone confirm these dates are right? It seems awfully generous. I hope the dates are correct- that would be awesome! I know it's kinda crazy to be thinking of winter break when the semester hasn't even started but my partner and I need to make holiday plans ahead of time with our huge families.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:
kakistocracy wrote:For paperwork like loan stuff (MPN, loan sheet, etc.) and the immunization record - does Columbia give you confirmation that they've received the materials? Or is there some way to check receipt?


+1 to this question. I submitted a bunch of documents a few weeks ago (Dean's Cert, final transcript, immunization) but no confirmation.


If you log into the admitted students website (like the one we used before law net) there's a checklist where you can see if they've processed all those materials. I think it takes a few days to update though, but that's been working for me so far.

User avatar
jubee
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby jubee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 pm

random but i can't remember at all if i've ever gotten a meningitis vaccine, i feel like I have but don't know, is it weird not to get one? have most people? or do you have to get vaccinated every few years?

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 pm

jubee wrote:random but i can't remember at all if i've ever gotten a meningitis vaccine, i feel like I have but don't know, is it weird not to get one? have most people? or do you have to get vaccinated every few years?

I had to get one before undergrad, maybe you did too. It's good for a long time.

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby joiedevivre18 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 am

ph5354a wrote:
joiedevivre18 wrote:
kakistocracy wrote:For paperwork like loan stuff (MPN, loan sheet, etc.) and the immunization record - does Columbia give you confirmation that they've received the materials? Or is there some way to check receipt?


+1 to this question. I submitted a bunch of documents a few weeks ago (Dean's Cert, final transcript, immunization) but no confirmation.


If you log into the admitted students website (like the one we used before law net) there's a checklist where you can see if they've processed all those materials. I think it takes a few days to update though, but that's been working for me so far.


Thanks, that's helpful! I requested a dean's cert from my undergrad school last month.. I wonder if they've received it as it's still on my checklist.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 am

Aussiebum wrote:Quick change of subject here: I was looking at the academic calendar and it seems like we have a holiday break from 12/19 to 01/22. Can anyone confirm these dates are right? It seems awfully generous. I hope the dates are correct- that would be awesome! I know it's kinda crazy to be thinking of winter break when the semester hasn't even started but my partner and I need to make holiday plans ahead of time with our huge families.

Yes, that is CU's winter break. It can begin earlier depending on your finals schedule.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 am

joiedevivre18 wrote:Thanks, that's helpful! I requested a dean's cert from my undergrad school last month.. I wonder if they've received it as it's still on my checklist.

Bob-Loblaw 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anybody else STILL not have a housing assignment/approval?
I submitted before the May 1 deadline.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest