Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm

and we're still waiting? aren't we supposed to get assignments by May 31?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 2:07 pm

helix23 wrote:and we're still waiting? aren't we supposed to get assignments by May 31?


I don't think it's explicitly stated, but that seems to be the general assumption. From the C/O 2015 thread, the only people that found out after May 29 were those that had gotten in off of the reserve in May. There seems to be more of us still waiting at this point than there was last year though. It's making me nervous...

angross
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby angross » Wed May 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Just tried to call the housing office and it still goes directly to a voice mail that says that they will be out of the office until the 28th (yesterday). Just sent an email to Juliana, hopefully she replies.

On a related note, for those of you who still haven't heard anything back since getting the email saying that you application was received, does your status say "HOUSING APPLICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED BY UAH"? I am sure that this is just paranoia from not hearing anything back, but I am starting to think that this means my application was sent to the general UAH pool, which would be bad news since I only applied for law school specific housing.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Wed May 29, 2013 3:39 pm

angross wrote:Just tried to call the housing office and it still goes directly to a voice mail that says that they will be out of the office until the 28th (yesterday). Just sent an email to Juliana, hopefully she replies.

On a related note, for those of you who still haven't heard anything back since getting the email saying that you application was received, does your status say "HOUSING APPLICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED BY UAH"? I am sure that this is just paranoia from not hearing anything back, but I am starting to think that this means my application was sent to the general UAH pool, which would be bad news since I only applied for law school specific housing.


paranoia. says that in the beginning for everyone

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Mine says "UAH Received" not "Received by UAH".

What does it mean???

Kidding

angross
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby angross » Wed May 29, 2013 4:25 pm

And this just made my day:

Hi Alexander - Your application is currently under review by the law school. You should hear get an email later today about either approval or any questions I may have about your application. You should have your assignment by next week.

Best,

Juliana


Hopefully they release a bunch of approvals later today.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 4:26 pm

PLEASE GOD LET THAT BE TRUE

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby joiedevivre18 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:57 pm

angross wrote:And this just made my day:

Hi Alexander - Your application is currently under review by the law school. You should hear get an email later today about either approval or any questions I may have about your application. You should have your assignment by next week.

Best,

Juliana


Hopefully they release a bunch of approvals later today.


And the rest of us too PLEASE.

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby smdpnp » Wed May 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Do you think housing's taking a long time this year because the entering class is overenrolled?

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Wed May 29, 2013 6:57 pm

smdpnp wrote:Do you think housing's taking a long time this year because the entering class is overenrolled?


god, i really hope not.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 pm

djwjddl wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Do you think housing's taking a long time this year because the entering class is overenrolled?


god, i really hope not.


A few people have already gotten in off of reserve right? I'm sure if it was over enrolled they wouldn't be touching the reserve list.
Last edited by ph5354a on Wed May 29, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm

smdpnp wrote:Do you think housing's taking a long time this year because the entering class is overenrolled?

They've been interviewing people on reserve, so no.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 10:50 pm

APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED

Bob-Loblaw 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 pm

ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED


Hooray! Congrats...hopefully I'll see something soon

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 am

ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED

Holy cow! Now I can start worrying. You're a 115/lionsgate person right?

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby joiedevivre18 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:13 am

KingFish wrote:
ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED

Holy cow! Now I can start worrying. You're a 115/lionsgate person right?


Aaaahhhh still nothing.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 8:10 am

joiedevivre18 wrote:
KingFish wrote:
ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED

Holy cow! Now I can start worrying. You're a 115/lionsgate person right?


Aaaahhhh still nothing.


Since I seem to be the only one, I feel like I should admit that I emailed Juliana yesterday around 4:30 asking when I should expect my assignment. I never heard back, but it's possible that prompted her to look at my application. I applied for 116th/115th.

Maybe you guys should try emailing her too? :D

angross
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby angross » Thu May 30, 2013 9:50 am

ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED


Congrats, wish I too could rest a bit easier. After expecting to get approved as well, I just got an email saying that they had bumped the rents this year and that my maximum was under their minimum. FYI, apparently rooms in apartment shares on the 400 block of 115 are ranging from $1240-1500 this year.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am

angross wrote:
ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED


Congrats, wish I too could rest a bit easier. After expecting to get approved as well, I just got an email saying that they had bumped the rents this year and that my maximum was under their minimum. FYI, apparently rooms in apartment shares on the 400 block of 115 are ranging from $1240-1500 this year.


Oh that really sucks. I put studio as my first choice with an apartment share under $1200 for my second choice, so I'm wondering if I didn't get that email and was approved instead because they found me a studio....? That would be too good to be true. Out of curiosity, what did you put as your max rent?

angross
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby angross » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 am

ph5354a wrote:
angross wrote:
ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED


Congrats, wish I too could rest a bit easier. After expecting to get approved as well, I just got an email saying that they had bumped the rents this year and that my maximum was under their minimum. FYI, apparently rooms in apartment shares on the 400 block of 115 are ranging from $1240-1500 this year.


Oh that really sucks. I put studio as my first choice with an apartment share under $1200 for my second choice, so I'm wondering if I didn't get that email and was approved instead because they found me a studio....? That would be too good to be true. Out of curiosity, what did you put as your max rent?


$1200 based on past threads and the rates for 2012-2013 on the Columbia facilities website (I'm trying to get one of the cheaper rooms). They had me BCCed on the email so I imagine there are multiple people in my position. They gave me until Friday to make the change to my application, so I bumped my max to $1400 just to be safe. Kind of frustrating that they make you go in hundred dollar increments rather than being able to input a number.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 am

angross wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
angross wrote:
ph5354a wrote:APPLICATION FUCKING APPROVED


Congrats, wish I too could rest a bit easier. After expecting to get approved as well, I just got an email saying that they had bumped the rents this year and that my maximum was under their minimum. FYI, apparently rooms in apartment shares on the 400 block of 115 are ranging from $1240-1500 this year.


Oh that really sucks. I put studio as my first choice with an apartment share under $1200 for my second choice, so I'm wondering if I didn't get that email and was approved instead because they found me a studio....? That would be too good to be true. Out of curiosity, what did you put as your max rent?


$1200 based on past threads and the rates for 2012-2013 on the Columbia facilities website (I'm trying to get one of the cheaper rooms). They had me BCCed on the email so I imagine there are multiple people in my position. They gave me until Friday to make the change to my application, so I bumped my max to $1400 just to be safe. Kind of frustrating that they make you go in hundred dollar increments rather than being able to input a number.


Yeah that's really frustrating. That's exactly what I tried to do too. If I'm going to sacrifice my first preference of a studio, I wanted to have the cheapest possible apartment share. Did they give you the option of switching to UAH housing instead? Might be too late but that could give you some cheaper options.

angross
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby angross » Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah that's really frustrating. That's exactly what I tried to do too. If I'm going to sacrifice my first preference of a studio, I wanted to have the cheapest possible apartment share. Did they give you the option of switching to UAH housing instead? Might be too late but that could give you some cheaper options.


They offered me that, but I'd rather pay more to be closer to the law school and surrounded by other people in law school at least for the first year.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am

angross wrote:
Yeah that's really frustrating. That's exactly what I tried to do too. If I'm going to sacrifice my first preference of a studio, I wanted to have the cheapest possible apartment share. Did they give you the option of switching to UAH housing instead? Might be too late but that could give you some cheaper options.


They offered me that, but I'd rather pay more to be closer to the law school and surrounded by other people in law school at least for the first year.


Yeah makes sense, that was my thinking too. I hope we all hear soon so we can start nailing down who's hosting the orientation parties.

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby joiedevivre18 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 am

ph5354a wrote:
angross wrote:
Yeah that's really frustrating. That's exactly what I tried to do too. If I'm going to sacrifice my first preference of a studio, I wanted to have the cheapest possible apartment share. Did they give you the option of switching to UAH housing instead? Might be too late but that could give you some cheaper options.


They offered me that, but I'd rather pay more to be closer to the law school and surrounded by other people in law school at least for the first year.


Yeah makes sense, that was my thinking too. I hope we all hear soon so we can start nailing down who's hosting the orientation parties.


I had a similar issue (not with rent but with unfurnished/furnished) and just got the approval email and another email saying my application has been turned over the UAH since there aren't anymore unfurnished law school slots left. Not bummed, I've heard UAH housing is better generally in terms of space/amenities!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 11:10 am

joiedevivre18 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
angross wrote:
Yeah that's really frustrating. That's exactly what I tried to do too. If I'm going to sacrifice my first preference of a studio, I wanted to have the cheapest possible apartment share. Did they give you the option of switching to UAH housing instead? Might be too late but that could give you some cheaper options.


They offered me that, but I'd rather pay more to be closer to the law school and surrounded by other people in law school at least for the first year.


Yeah makes sense, that was my thinking too. I hope we all hear soon so we can start nailing down who's hosting the orientation parties.


I had a similar issue (not with rent but with unfurnished/furnished) and just got the approval email and another email saying my application has been turned over the UAH since there aren't anymore unfurnished law school slots left. Not bummed, I've heard UAH housing is better generally in terms of space/amenities!


Interesting! I requested unfurnished too ...I hope they don't stick me with furnished, though I guess if I get my wish of a studio, I should just be grateful for that.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest