Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
moonman157

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby moonman157 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 pm

jubee wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just got my hosing assignment and I'm very happy with it other than the move-in date, which is sometime in the second week of June. Do you guys think there's any way I could get that moved to August, when I'll actually be moving in?

These random move in dates are freakin me out also, either so early or so late wtf? I would call, people have told me they really wanna be accommodating to law students but I personally have no idea on this subject, seems kinda ludicrous to force people to move in and pay rent for an extra two months, not to mention that's only a month away to figure out all your stuff.

BTW did u just get the email recently? Cuz that would suggest they are still there...

I got the email around 2:30 and just tried calling, but no one was there. And yeah, I'm freaking out about this move-in date as well.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm

moonman157 wrote:
jubee wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just got my hosing assignment and I'm very happy with it other than the move-in date, which is sometime in the second week of June. Do you guys think there's any way I could get that moved to August, when I'll actually be moving in?

These random move in dates are freakin me out also, either so early or so late wtf? I would call, people have told me they really wanna be accommodating to law students but I personally have no idea on this subject, seems kinda ludicrous to force people to move in and pay rent for an extra two months, not to mention that's only a month away to figure out all your stuff.

BTW did u just get the email recently? Cuz that would suggest they are still there...

I got the email around 2:30 and just tried calling, but no one was there. And yeah, I'm freaking out about this move-in date as well.

Sorry I meant email since they seem to be gone

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu May 23, 2013 5:12 pm

UAH or Law School housing?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:25 pm

KingFish wrote:

UAH or Law School housing?

Law school

JVK

Postby JVK » Thu May 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Anyone know if W 115th comes with air conditioning, and what was the verdict on swapping beds out?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm

JVK wrote:Anyone know if W 115th comes with air conditioning, and what was the verdict on swapping beds out?

I think the verdict was probably not possible, sadly, for much if any of the furniture.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
JVK wrote:Anyone know if W 115th comes with air conditioning, and what was the verdict on swapping beds out?

I think the verdict was probably not possible, sadly, for much if any of the furniture.

It's absurd that they expect adult people to sleep in twin/full beds. I know we'll be law students but does that have to mean that we won't have personal lives/sleep... or at the very least a hook up once in a while?

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Still at received. I just noticed too that the date on mine is may 2 when I know I submitted on April 30. Is that weird?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:Still at received. I just noticed too that the date on mine is may 2 when I know I submitted on April 30. Is that weird?

That is weird...you didn't change anything on your app after that did you?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

It's absurd that they expect adult people to sleep in twin/full beds. I know we'll be law students but does that have to mean that we won't have personal lives/sleep... or at the very least a hook up once in a while?

Well, aw students don't exactly have the best reputation in terms of attractiveness (although I'm sure you are all very sexy :P)

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 7:22 pm

moonman157 wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

Well, aw students don't exactly have the best reputation in terms of attractiveness (although I'm sure you are all very sexy :P)

Yeah, but it's all relative, so we will just be less attractive people sleeping with each other. The bottom feeders, if you will. :P

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 7:24 pm

ph5354a wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Well, aw students don't exactly have the best reputation in terms of attractiveness (although I'm sure you are all very sexy :P)

Yeah, but it's all relative, so we will just be less attractive people sleeping with each other. The bottom feeders, if you will. :P

ಠ_ಠ

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

unless you're like 6'4" a full bed should be comfortable enough for 2 people

i got an unfurnished place so i could throw in a queen if necessary, but without a floor plan, i have literally no idea if it would fit

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri May 24, 2013 8:24 am

So there was this form that came with my scholarship letter --Federal Direct Loan Request Form, that I never filled out, but I've filled out the MPN online. It doesn't really say anything about this form being required, it mostly just directs you to fill out the MPN, but there's a place for you to indicate how much of the direct and plus loans you want. DId everyone send this in? I'm a little confused as to what purpose it serves.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:38 am

ph5354a wrote:
joiedevivre18 wrote:Still at received. I just noticed too that the date on mine is may 2 when I know I submitted on April 30. Is that weird?

That is weird...you didn't change anything on your app after that did you?

Nope, but I did send Juliana a note about my preferences on the May 1 and she responded to me on May 2 and said she'd add it to the file - so maybe that was it?

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
JVK wrote:

Bottom feeders? I thought Columbia was exclusionary. I thought they went after the cool kids, the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends.

I'm sure you are all being modest...

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri May 24, 2013 9:40 am

ph5354a wrote:So there was this form that came with my scholarship letter --Federal Direct Loan Request Form, that I never filled out, but I've filled out the MPN online. It doesn't really say anything about this form being required, it mostly just directs you to fill out the MPN, but there's a place for you to indicate how much of the direct and plus loans you want. DId everyone send this in? I'm a little confused as to what purpose it serves.

I think it said that form was required 5/15 with the MPNs on the Important Dates part of the admitted students site.

FWIW I sent that in but haven't done the MPNs yet.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 am

ph5354a wrote:So there was this form that came with my scholarship letter --Federal Direct Loan Request Form, that I never filled out, but I've filled out the MPN online. It doesn't really say anything about this form being required, it mostly just directs you to fill out the MPN, but there's a place for you to indicate how much of the direct and plus loans you want. DId everyone send this in? I'm a little confused as to what purpose it serves.

I am trying to log onto the admitted students website to check on this but I think you were required to submit that form by May 15. I might be making this up.

ETA: scooped. Everyone on this forum is so helpful.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks guys! Guess I'll send that in, lol.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am

Sending in an additional deposit (because I'm deferring--I guess I should make a CLS class of 2017 thread with population: me), I initially made my check out to CLS and had to cross it out to write the name of the university after speaking to the admissions office. Sending it in anyway. I wonder if they'll think it's cash-able. #YOLO

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am

Raise your hand if this grant data form is making you feel woefully inadequate

Also --is anyone in DC and planning to go to the reception in June at the Tabard Inn? I would feel like a fool being the only 0L there, but it's hard to pass up free booze.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 am

ph5354a wrote:Raise your hand if this grant data form is making you feel woefully inadequate

*raiseshand*

I actually called them about it last week and they said to try my best to fill it out but that the numbers are not final. They will review it later down the line and if they need to make edits they will tell you about it and send you a new form to fill out and sign with the correct information. Basically just guesstimate how many loans you will need, sign and send. You will fix it later with specifics. Hope this helps.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri May 24, 2013 11:42 am

Aussiebum wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Raise your hand if this grant data form is making you feel woefully inadequate

*raiseshand*

I actually called them about it last week and they said to try my best to fill it out but that the numbers are not final. They will review it later down the line and if they need to make edits they will tell you about it and send you a new form to fill out and sign with the correct information. Basically just guesstimate how many loans you will need, sign and send. You will fix it later with specifics. Hope this helps.

Wait, what? I believe ph is referring to the "grant data sheet" where you pretty much have to write an autobiography of yourself and your accomplishments/tell them how great you are. There's nothing in there related to actual grants.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri May 24, 2013 11:45 am

djwjddl wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:

*raiseshand*

Wait, what? I believe ph is referring to the "grant data sheet" where you pretty much have to write an autobiography of yourself and your accomplishments/tell them how great you are. There's nothing in there related to actual grants.

I think Aussie was referring to my question above about the federal direct loans request form. But yeah, I look forward to the day when I no longer have to rack my brain for my "interests" and "hobbies" and "leadership activities".

jubee

Postby jubee » Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 pm

hey guys does anyone know what appointment time means when accepting our assignment? Is that like the time we pick up the keys and sign some stuff?

BTW- got my housing this morning around 930 and am thrilled!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”