Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
kakistocracy

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby kakistocracy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Apparently the law school graduation is today, so that might be why they're gone.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu May 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Bumping my q from a while ago did anyone around here go approved a million years ago and not get an assignment yet??? I went approved on the First day and still nothing and its freaking me out

arrggg

Postby arrggg » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

JVK wrote:I just got my housing assignment on W 115th, a 3-bedroom share.

I didn't get the roommate I requested (both of us listed that on our housing apps). I called in to Law School Housing to ask, and got a message saying they were all gone until Tuesday, the 28th. What the hell?

I got assignment today, too with an expiration day of the 28th. Hope you can figure it out before your offer expires (though, it might not matter if you have to get reassigned anyways).

arrggg

Postby arrggg » Thu May 23, 2013 2:34 pm

jubee wrote:Bumping my q from a while ago did anyone around here go approved a million years ago and not get an assignment yet??? I went approved on the First day and still nothing and its freaking me out

Well I think I was approved the same time as you, and I only just received my assignment today. I think you'll get it soon.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 2:35 pm

arrggg wrote:

I didn't get the roommate I requested (both of us listed that on our housing apps). I called in to Law School Housing to ask, and got a message saying they were all gone until Tuesday, the 28th. What the hell?

I got assignment today, too with an expiration day of the 28th. Hope you can figure it out before your offer expires (though, it might not matter if you have to get reassigned anyways).

I'm just gonna put this out there because I'm in a grumpy mood anyways, but giving an assignment on May 23, when there's apparently no one in the office, and making them respond by May 28, the first day that anyone will be back in the office, is an OBNOXIOUS thing to do.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

ph5354a wrote:
arrggg wrote:

I'm just gonna put this out there because I'm in a grumpy mood anyways, but giving an assignment on May 23, when there's apparently no one in the office, and making them respond by May 28, the first day that anyone will be back in the office, is an OBNOXIOUS thing to do.

I'm surprised that's the expiry date on everyone else's. Mine's 5/29.

JVK

Postby JVK » Thu May 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Mine's 5/29, too. Still a bit annoyed I can't contact them this week/end.

arrggg

Postby arrggg » Thu May 23, 2013 2:40 pm

ph5354a wrote:
arrggg wrote:

Totally agree.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 2:42 pm

JVK wrote:Mine's 5/29, too. Still a bit annoyed I can't contact them this week/end.

I work at a University --things are slow in the summer, but there's no way an office would should be closed today or tomorrow. Lots of people are on vacation, but there would should at least be someone in the office to answer basic questions, especially when this process is going on.

Juliana, if you're reading, I love you, I still want my studio, now love me back.

Edited for clarity :D
Last edited by ph5354a on Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JVK

Postby JVK » Thu May 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I wish I was kidding, ph5354a. Try calling in and you should get the same message after it rings 2-3 times. God knows I'll try again later this afternoon, but it's a pretty blunt voicemail message.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm

JVK wrote:I wish I was kidding, ph5354a. Try calling in and you should get the same message after it rings 2-3 times. God knows I'll try again later this afternoon, but it's a pretty blunt voicemail message.

Oh I believe you haha, I was just voicing my own bitterness about the situation. I tend to throw around the "I work at a University" too much because some people think that university staff always get the same spring break/summer break type hours that students and faculty do, but at Columbia, that seems to be the case. I wish I had a five day weekend...

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm

ph5354a wrote:
JVK wrote:I wish I was kidding, ph5354a. Try calling in and you should get the same message after it rings 2-3 times. God knows I'll try again later this afternoon, but it's a pretty blunt voicemail message.

Oh I believe you haha, I was just voicing my own bitterness about the situation. I tend to throw around the "I work at a University" too much because some people think that university staff always get the same spring break/summer break type hours that students and faculty do, but at Columbia, that seems to be the case. I wish I had a five day weekend...

Can confirm. I've worked until 5 on Christmas Eve the last two years as staff at UofC.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Can confirm. I've worked until 5 on Christmas Eve the last two years as staff at UofC.

Oof that's rough. My University has cut down on giving us other holidays (Veteran's Day, President's Day, Columbus Day, things like that) so we can have between December 24 and January 2 off. They discovered that between the students/faculty being gone, and so many people taking off, it was just cheaper to turn the lights off and send everyone home.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 pm

arrggg wrote:
jubee wrote:Bumping my q from a while ago did anyone around here go approved a million years ago and not get an assignment yet??? I went approved on the First day and still nothing and its freaking me out

Well I think I was approved the same time as you, and I only just received my assignment today. I think you'll get it soon.

Thank you for that it actually makes me feel much better! Except for the fact that now apparently they are gone until next week :/ grrrrr

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 3:09 pm

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Oof that's rough. My University has cut down on giving us other holidays (Veteran's Day, President's Day, Columbus Day, things like that) so we can have between December 24 and January 2 off. They discovered that between the students/faculty being gone, and so many people taking off, it was just cheaper to turn the lights off and send everyone home.

To be fair I think it was a Saturday in 2011, and I am bending the truth a bit to make things sound sadder. But we don't get it off as a University holiday, and as the least senior member of my group I'm stuck here when everyone else takes vacation.

It's very odd, though - two holidays for Thanksgiving, and only one for Christmas. Damn am I looking forward to being on a student schedule again.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Thu May 23, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 3:12 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Damn am I looking forward to being on a student schedule again.

Amen to that. Five weeks off for the holidays? Don't mind if I do!

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Damn am I looking forward to being on a student schedule again.

Is that enough time for me to get a seasonal FT job at Target or something? I'm half joking.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Is that enough time for me to get a seasonal FT job at Target or something? I'm half joking.

I worked at a department store over break in undergrad, so I would assume so, yeah. Since we'll be paying rent anyways I'm planning on using that time to frolic about NYC and complain about the tourists like a native.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm

wait a sec. if the office is closed from tomorrow through the 28th, those of us still waiting for assignments are going to have to wait until at least mid next week?

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Thu May 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm

ph5354a wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

I worked at a department store over break in undergrad, so I would assume so, yeah. Since we'll be paying rent anyways I'm planning on using that time to frolic about NYC and complain about the tourists like a native.

Winter tourists are a special breed of annoying. I have found that a large proportion of them are from the midwest (probably because it is even fucking colder there so this place is like a vacation?). I will say no more.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Thu May 23, 2013 3:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:is anyone else confused by how many different log-ins we have? Why do I need separate LawNet username, email, CUID, UNI, UNI password, housing app email (different from the others?), housing app password, ASW email and ASW password, ect. I hate this shit.

welcome to columbia. absolutely the worst administration i've ever had to deal with. the amount of bureaucracy and red tape at this place is absurd.

don't worry, you'll get used to it and never want to donate to the school after graduating.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Just got my hosing assignment and I'm very happy with it other than the move-in date, which is sometime in the second week of June. Do you guys think there's any way I could get that moved to August, when I'll actually be moving in?

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu May 23, 2013 4:39 pm

moonman157 wrote:Just got my hosing assignment and I'm very happy with it other than the move-in date, which is sometime in the second week of June. Do you guys think there's any way I could get that moved to August, when I'll actually be moving in?

These random move in dates are freakin me out also, either so early or so late wtf? I would call, people have told me they really wanna be accommodating to law students but I personally have no idea on this subject, seems kinda ludicrous to force people to move in and pay rent for an extra two months, not to mention that's only a month away to figure out all your stuff.

BTW did u just get the email recently? Cuz that would suggest they are still there...

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”