Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
RoseNCrantz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby RoseNCrantz » Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 pm

There are no official options for removing and storing Lenfest furniture. (If you have EXTENSIVE documentation of a medical condition that affects your ability to sleep on the cheap provided mattress, you might be able to convince Columbia to store the old one so that you can buy a new one at your own expense.)

In theory, if you can get furniture out without anyone seeing you (any building staff who see you attempting to move it out are officially required required to stop you or at least note it down) and it is back by the time you vacate, no one would really know. I am not sure what would happen if you needed something repaired in your room.

(Oddly, one is permitted to bring as much other furniture INTO a Lenfest residence as one wants.)

feelingood
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby feelingood » Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 pm

This might have already been asked, but I have to put down a room deposit (1k + my rent), and I'm wondering if I decide to go to another law school (wait list-related), what the policy is for getting some or all of my deposit back. Does anybody have information about this?

Also, because my apt is furnished and I am most definitely not sleeping in a twin-sized bed, is there any way to get Housing to either not put it in my room in the first place or have them take it back so I can buy a bigger bed? Or am I going to have to find a place to store it for the year?

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby smdpnp » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 am

feelingood wrote:Also, because my apt is furnished and I am most definitely not sleeping in a twin-sized bed, is there any way to get Housing to either not put it in my room in the first place or have them take it back so I can buy a bigger bed? Or am I going to have to find a place to store it for the year?

Some students in UAH were definitely allowed to store their mattresses last year, since their super was cool with them using the basement. Guess this depends on where you live and who you get for a super, though.

User avatar
battlerifle13
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby battlerifle13 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:07 am

Did most people hear back about housing assignments already? I haven't received any sort of e-mail so I am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Mon May 20, 2013 11:26 am

battlerifle13 wrote:Did most people hear back about housing assignments already? I haven't received any sort of e-mail so I am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat

No one who asked for Lionsgate or 115th has heard back.

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Aussiebum » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 am

Hey guys! Does anyone know if the $1000 deposit due to secure Lenfest will be later credited to our account as part of the payment for housing this semester, or is it just an additional expense?

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Aussiebum wrote:Hey guys! Does anyone know if the $1000 deposit due to secure Lenfest will be later credited to our account as part of the payment for housing this semester, or is it just an additional expense?


credited. it's a deposit, not a fee/expense.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:13 pm

still waiting to get assigned my swag palace...

User avatar
jubee
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby jubee » Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Ugh probably a shitty sign to STILL not have housing, I'm expecting the worst bottom of the barrel option at this point.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm

jubee wrote:Ugh probably a shitty sign to STILL not have housing, I'm expecting the worst bottom of the barrel option at this point.


I call curling up underneath the hotdog cart on the corner of 116th and Amsterdam.

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Does anyone know anything about 414 120th street? Got assigned a 1 bedroom there for ~$1500 which seems totally reasonable, but before making a final decision I wanted to check if any of you know anything (negative) about the building. Looks nice enough according to Google maps street view...

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Aussiebum » Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 pm

aiaea wrote:Does anyone know anything about 414 120th street? Got assigned a 1 bedroom there for ~$1500 which seems totally reasonable, but before making a final decision I wanted to check if any of you know anything (negative) about the building. Looks nice enough according to Google maps street view...


Did you request couple's housing?

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
aiaea wrote:Does anyone know anything about 414 120th street? Got assigned a 1 bedroom there for ~$1500 which seems totally reasonable, but before making a final decision I wanted to check if any of you know anything (negative) about the building. Looks nice enough according to Google maps street view...


Did you request couple's housing?


Yep

angross
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby angross » Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Not sure where the rest of you who don't have housing applied to, but I applied to all three buildings on the 400 block of 115th and haven't heard anything. I was really starting to freak out until this morning when I looked back at the Columbia C/O 2015 thread and it seemed that last year the exact same thing happened where the 420 building on 116th street, Lenfest, and a lot of other UAH buildings were assigned over a week before 115th and Lionsgate. Last year, the first assignment on 115th was the Tuesday before Memorial Day, which happens to be tomorrow. So I'm hoping to hear something soon and am confident that most of us will hear by the end of the week (at least that's what I am telling myself).

kakistocracy
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby kakistocracy » Mon May 20, 2013 5:19 pm

angross wrote:Not sure where the rest of you who don't have housing applied to, but I applied to all three buildings on the 400 block of 115th and haven't heard anything. I was really starting to freak out until this morning when I looked back at the Columbia C/O 2015 thread and it seemed that last year the exact same thing happened where the 420 building on 116th street, Lenfest, and a lot of other UAH buildings were assigned over a week before 115th and Lionsgate. Last year, the first assignment on 115th was the Tuesday before Memorial Day, which happens to be tomorrow. So I'm hoping to hear something soon and am confident that most of us will hear by the end of the week (at least that's what I am telling myself).


That's reassuring! I did the same as you and applied for the three buildings. Hopefully we won't have to be anxious much longer.

Calvinball
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Calvinball » Mon May 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi all, I'm a recent Fordham admit and I'm planning to move to New York in August. I'll be looking into living with a roommate or two who also go to Fordham, but I thought an even better idea might be to live with people who are also law students, but DON'T also go to Fordham. It would probably make conflict between anyone a bit less likely, seeing as we wouldn't be directly competing with one another for grades. Plus, we all might have more networking opportunities. Anyway, if anyone else is interested in trying this, here's a bit about myself:

- I'm a straight, white male in my mid-20s, if any of that is important to you.

- I'm more of a night person than a morning person, but I don't think you'll have to worry about me keeping you up, I care very much about sleep and respecting peoples' need to get it

- I'm a big believer in keeping common areas cleaner than my own personal space. This means that there will probably be a number of items of clothing on the floor in my room on a consistent basis. As long as you're just happy that they're not in YOUR room (or the common areas), we'll be cool.

- I'm also a big believer in using plastic utensils and paper plates for my own food, so you won't have to worry about me leaving that shit in my semi-chaotic room.

- I don't necessarily NEED to have cable or satellite, but I'd be leaning towards trying to get DirecTV, if only for the sake of the sports packages.

If all of that works for you, send me a PM and let me know if you're interested in apartment hunting soon.

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Kind of Blue » Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Housing assignment was randomly changed this morning to a totally different building. Weird.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:Housing assignment was randomly changed this morning to a totally different building. Weird.


Happened to someone else upthread - I don't think it ever got resolved. Probably stuck with your second one. Better/worse?

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby smdpnp » Mon May 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Some of you were asking about housing deposit refunds. I'm not sure if it's been answered yet, but I found this on the CU Facilities website:

No refunds of any payments will be given if you accept an offer and later decide to not move into the unit.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 pm

So who's getting excited about moving to NYC?

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby moonman157 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:So who's getting excited about moving to NYC?


I'll be excited as soon as I actually find out where I'll be living

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 pm

moonman157 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:So who's getting excited about moving to NYC?


I'll be excited as soon as I actually find out where I'll be living

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby KingFish » Tue May 21, 2013 6:09 pm

No housing approvals today?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue May 21, 2013 6:10 pm

helix23 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:So who's getting excited about moving to NYC?


I'll be excited as soon as I actually find out where I'll be living

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby txdude45 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:34 pm

I turned my nose up at Columbia housing. Having now been trying, unsuccessfully, to find housing for the summer, I may come crawling back, hat in hand, to avoid a repeat for a FT apartment. Think everything worth having is/will be taken?




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest