Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Audeamus wrote:Just got my housing assignment! 1 bedroom at 420 W 116th. Really really happy about it! Does anyone know if there is a way to see a floor plan prior to moving in?

Let the record show I am happy for you, but the fact that I haven't gotten mine yet and we want the same thing is like a punch to the throat.

Wait...you applied for couples housing right?

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

smdpnp wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. Do you know if we have to deal with third party vendors for anything else?

No, not that i can think of. the only other thing that could possibly go through a third party vendor is cable tv, but that's provided by columbia as well (if you live in lenfest). you sign up with them.

http://cuit.columbia.edu/cable-tv/cutv

Application will be available mid-july.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Audeamus wrote:Just got my housing assignment! 1 bedroom at 420 W 116th. Really really happy about it! Does anyone know if there is a way to see a floor plan prior to moving in?

hey me too! 1 BDR at 420 W 116th. What unit are you? I called them to ask about floor plan and they said they didn't have anything :(. I'm getting in touch with the liaison to see if I can talk to someone about a previous persons' experience.

what do you know about the place? is it spacious? I never visited them

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu May 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Love me, UAH. Or at least just approve me.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 16, 2013 2:05 pm

ph5354a wrote:the fact that I haven't gotten mine yet and we want the same thing is like a punch to the throat.

Ugh, us and our complicated room requests. I should have pulled my devious couples' housing plan after all.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 pm

I WANT THIS

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

hey me too! 1 BDR at 420 W 116th. What unit are you? I called them to ask about floor plan and they said they didn't have anything :(. I'm getting in touch with the liaison to see if I can talk to someone about a previous persons' experience.

Wheres mine? :?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:20 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Audeamus wrote:the fact that I haven't gotten mine yet and we want the same thing is like a punch to the throat.
?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:21 pm

yeah im quadruple poasting deal with it

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Thu May 16, 2013 2:31 pm

ph5354a wrote:

Let the record show I am happy for you, but the fact that I haven't gotten mine yet and we want the same thing is like a punch to the throat.

Wait...you applied for couples housing right?

I did. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll hear back soon with good news!

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

So my mother is a creeper and sent me the following via email

From TLS:

cameltaur wrote:Has anybody been inside an apartment at 420 W. 116th St., the all-law student (i think) building right across from Jerome Greene? I was pretty set on just doing a Lenfest studio but I wouldn't mind the extra space of a one bedroom (and even the lower cost), but I didn't get a chance to see that building. Does anyone know how it is?

My host lived in that building. Her couples' one-bedroom apartment was amazing! It was gorgeous, spacious and a bit pricey although still less than Lenfest. I liked it a lot, and if cost wasn't such a huge issue for me, I would have requested that particular building. Can't beat living across the street!

edit: mom, if you see this while stalking TLS, I love you. Creeper is not meant as an insult. <3

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Audeamus wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

From TLS:

cameltaur wrote:Has anybody been inside an apartment at 420 W. 116th St., the all-law student (i think) building right across from Jerome Greene? I was pretty set on just doing a Lenfest studio but I wouldn't mind the extra space of a one bedroom (and even the lower cost), but I didn't get a chance to see that building. Does anyone know how it is?

My host lived in that building. Her couples' one-bedroom apartment was amazing! It was gorgeous, spacious and a bit pricey although still less than Lenfest. I liked it a lot, and if cost wasn't such a huge issue for me, I would have requested that particular building. Can't beat living across the street!

edit: mom, if you see this while stalking TLS, I love you. Creeper is not meant as an insult. <3

yea I saw this from 2009 when I was researching it earlier this morning.

Have you seen the places? do you know for sure? I gotta put down $3600 by the 21st... which I actually don't even have on me atm (by the way how does one deal with this if they can't pay their downpayment atm?).. and I'd like to see pictures/talk to previous tenant before making such a commitment

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 16, 2013 2:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Have you seen the places? do you know for sure? I gotta put down $3600 by the 21st... which I actually don't even have on me atm (by the way how does one deal with this if they can't pay their downpayment atm?).. and I'd like to see pictures/talk to previous tenant before making such a commitment

I think you can just pay the deposit, and wait to pay the first month's rent until you actually move in.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Thu May 16, 2013 2:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

From TLS:

yea I saw this from 2009 when I was researching it earlier this morning.

I haven't seen the places but I'm pretty sure it's hard to find a nicer 1 bedroom for the price in a safe, close location. Also, I was under the impression that the $3600 includes first months rent. I think someone posted earlier that the school let them just pay the security deposit portion to accept and then pay the first month's rent when they move in to break up the cost. I would call housing about that, though.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Got my couple's housing earlier today - I got an apartment west of campus in a building off 125th St., so I'll be a bit of a hike away from the law school. I requested Law School housing, so I'm not sure why I'm over there. The building seems really nice, and my rent is reasonable for 1BR, so I'm not complaining. I think I got put in non-law school housing because I requested unfurnished (I can't fit in a full bed - too tall).

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm

cws277 wrote:Got my couple's housing earlier today - I got an apartment west of campus in a building off 125th St., so I'll be a bit of a hike away from the law school. I requested Law School housing, so I'm not sure why I'm over there. The building seems really nice, and my rent is reasonable for 1BR, so I'm not complaining. I think I got put in non-law school housing because I requested unfurnished (I can't fit in a full bed - too tall).

I'm in an unfurnished 1BR LS housing. I think they determine who get LS housing by lottery.

angross

Postby angross » Thu May 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Has anyone who applied exclusively to the 115 St. law school buildings heard anything? So far it seems like people have posted about hearing from all of the other law school buildings, but not the ones on 115. I only applied to those, and am starting to realize that I may be screwed if I don't get an apartment in one of those buildings. My application status is still just "received." Please tell me no one has gotten housing in the 115th St. buildings yet.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Is everyone today a 1BR?

ETA: To answer my own question, it looks like everyone ITT who got an assignment today is in a 1BR on 116 or a studio? in Lenfest.

Postby 309020 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm

As a distraction from all the housing nerves (and because it's getting too hot for the ASW hoodies), I looked through all the t-shirts on the Columbia bookstore site and found a few CLS-specific items. They really could make it easier by labeling them or separating them out, but oh well....

Unisex:
One (LinkRemoved)
Two (LinkRemoved)
Three (LinkRemoved)
Four (LinkRemoved)

Women's:
One (LinkRemoved)

Ta-dah! Enjoy some CLS swag.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 pm

309020 wrote:As a distraction from all the housing nerves (and because it's getting too hot for the ASW hoodies), I looked through all the t-shirts on the Columbia bookstore site and found a few CLS-specific items. They really could make it easier by labeling them or separating them out, but oh well....

Unisex:
One (LinkRemoved)
Two (LinkRemoved)
Three (LinkRemoved)
Four (LinkRemoved)

Women's:
One (LinkRemoved)

Ta-dah! Enjoy some CLS swag.

Nice! I like the 4th shirt the best.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 pm

angross wrote:Has anyone who applied exclusively to the 115 St. law school buildings heard anything? So far it seems like people have posted about hearing from all of the other law school buildings, but not the ones on 115. I only applied to those, and am starting to realize that I may be screwed if I don't get an apartment in one of those buildings. My application status is still just "received." Please tell me no one has gotten housing in the 115th St. buildings yet.

I'm still on received as well but applied for Lionsgate...

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 pm

It sounds like they went through couples' housing first, which makes sense.

bobr

Postby bobr » Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm

angross wrote:Has anyone who applied exclusively to the 115 St. law school buildings heard anything? So far it seems like people have posted about hearing from all of the other law school buildings, but not the ones on 115. I only applied to those, and am starting to realize that I may be screwed if I don't get an apartment in one of those buildings. My application status is still just "received." Please tell me no one has gotten housing in the 115th St. buildings yet.

I'm in the same boat if it's any comfort. Hoping for sometime tomorrow or next week.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Audeamus wrote:
cws277 wrote:Got my couple's housing earlier today - I got an apartment west of campus in a building off 125th St., so I'll be a bit of a hike away from the law school. I requested Law School housing, so I'm not sure why I'm over there. The building seems really nice, and my rent is reasonable for 1BR, so I'm not complaining. I think I got put in non-law school housing because I requested unfurnished (I can't fit in a full bed - too tall).

I'm in an unfurnished 1BR LS housing. I think they determine who get LS housing by lottery.

Ah, gotcha. Well, I'm still really happy with my assignment, my building seems sweet.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”