Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm

This is like NCE-season all over again.

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Tue May 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Just got my housing assignment. The email was sent less than an hour after the "Application Approved" email. Anyone know anything about 514 W 114th? I went for the non-law student housing to save some money, so anyone going for law student housing be on a different timeline.

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 pm

TheColonel wrote:Just got my housing assignment. The email was sent less than an hour after the "Application Approved" email. Anyone know anything about 514 W 114th? I went for the non-law student housing to save some money, so anyone going for law student housing be on a different timeline.

ahh dunno anything about it but very jealous you already got your assignment. I did non law too and want something that close to campus!

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 pm

how quickly your housing app gets approved has nothing to do with your lottery number. thus, just because your app gets approved later does not mean that you've received a higher lottery number and in turn are less likely to get your first choice. it seems like this first "round"/batch is for those who applied to non-law specific housing.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm

djwjddl wrote: it seems like this first "round"/batch is for those who applied to non-law specific housing.

Yup, it appears so. Come back for us soon, Juliana!

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm

arbor! yes! exactly what i wanted.

anyone else get arbor? i got room A too, biggest of the 3 with its own bathroom
Last edited by learntolift on Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue May 07, 2013 4:15 pm

NYU page is a ghost-town -_-

There's this food truck that sometimes parks under the pedestrian bridge connecting the law school to the main campus called Korilla. You all should definitely try it - it's rice and Korean BBQ meat wrapped into a burrito, like Asian Chipotle. Sigh, I'm jelly of you guys being in Morningside Heights.

And yes, forward+delete handles the redundancy issue. I didn't know they moved that function from cubmail over to lionmail.

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Got my housing assignment today as well. 414 West 120th st.

So I'm assuming you have to pay the deposit when you accept? I'm a little stressed about having to pay first and last months rent by Sunday since I won't get paid til next Friday....

Anyone know if this can be extended? Especially since we obviously don't have loan money yet?

Gonna call tomorrow but figured I'd see if maybe any current students had any idea. Also if you know anyone who lives in the building I'd love to know what the apartments are like since they apparently don't have a floor plan...

ETA: I got exactly what I wanted (1BR for 1400) and am super happy though!

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 pm

GertrudeR wrote:
ETA: I got exactly what I wanted (1BR for 1400) and am super happy though!

nice! that sounds like what I am interested in!

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Oh god, now I'm speculating what it means that I haven't gotten my housing assignment yet. So many nightmares coming back...

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue May 07, 2013 8:34 pm

GertrudeR wrote:ETA: I got exactly what I wanted (1BR for 1400) and am super happy though!

That is glorious. Congrats

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Congrats to everyone who got their assignment today!! Here's hoping they saved a studio/closet for me and Rondo.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 1:17 am

moonman157 wrote:Oh god, now I'm speculating what it means that I haven't gotten my housing assignment yet. So many nightmares coming back...

I was one of the last people to get a housing assignment last year. The wait was awful. I'm not gonna lie, I got one of the shittiest buildings (far away from the law school).

jubee

Postby jubee » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 am

Are the assignments just gonna keep rolling out daily?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed May 08, 2013 3:26 am

Bronck wrote:My guess is that median should be safe for most people.

You'll likely see the most acute problems in the bottom 1/3. WE can help save you, but any sort of combination of bad grades, bad interviewing skills, and poor bidding can sink you. When you're in the bottom, you're going to have to put a lot of extra hustle in.

I hadn't been following this thread, but I read this and figured I should maybe chime in. I actually disagree with you here Bronk. From talking with more and more 2Ls and 3Ls, it seems like you can strike out even with good grades. Someone might get a callback from a V5 and end up with a significantly lower ranked firm, or with no SA lined up at all. There are people at CLS with good credentials who struggle to find work. I'm not entirely sure why or how that happens, but it seems to me that some people just fall through the cracks. I think you can do your best to prevent that from happening (trying in classes, biding well, practicing interviewing, targeting multiple markets) but there are no guarantees. On the upside, the inverse seems true as well. I know people who didn't have killer grades and who can be …odd… who ended up with SAs through EIP.

Maybe my mind will change after we go through EIP ourselves, but it seems like there's a hell of a lot of luck involved. Welcome to law school

RDJ2016

Postby RDJ2016 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 am

I am now realizing I may have screwed myself over for housing by requesting unfurnished law school housing. It seems like only people who requested UAH have received their assignments so far. I'm worried they'll go through all the UAH requests before turning to the law school housing requests so that, when I inevitably fail to get a nonexistent unfurnished room on 115th Street, I'll get bumped to UAH and receive one of the leftover room assignments. For those of you who did not request the law school housing - were you allowed to rank preferences like the importance of price, proximity to the law school, etc? There was no space for me to do anything like that since my primary request was for the law school buildings.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 am

RDJ2016 wrote:I am now realizing I may have screwed myself over for housing by requesting unfurnished law school housing. It seems like only people who requested UAH have received their assignments so far. I'm worried they'll go through all the UAH requests before turning to the law school housing requests so that, when I inevitably fail to get a nonexistent unfurnished room on 115th Street, I'll get bumped to UAH and receive one of the leftover room assignments. For those of you who did not request the law school housing - were you allowed to rank preferences like the importance of price, proximity to the law school, etc? There was no space for me to do anything like that since my primary request was for the law school buildings.

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand, UAH and Law School Housing are completely separate offices. My guess is that those who requested UAH were forwarded directly to their office yesterday, if not earlier, and UAH just works more quickly than the law school housing office which is only two people. Look on the bright side --if they do run out of law school housing and you get bumped to UAH, you will probably end up spending a lot less!

ETA: To answer your question, I initially requested UAH, and there was nowhere to rank the importance of various preferences. You just got to pick your first three choices and the price you were willing to pay for them, which was the same as if you requested law school housing. The only difference was that you didn't pick specific buildings for UAH like you did for law school housing.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:34 am

TheColonel wrote:Just got my housing assignment. The email was sent less than an hour after the "Application Approved" email. Anyone know anything about 514 W 114th? I went for the non-law student housing to save some money, so anyone going for law student housing be on a different timeline.

Looks pretty good! http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/t ... -this-year

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am

ph5354a wrote:
RDJ2016 wrote:I am now realizing I may have screwed myself over for housing by requesting unfurnished law school housing. It seems like only people who requested UAH have received their assignments so far. I'm worried they'll go through all the UAH requests before turning to the law school housing requests so that, when I inevitably fail to get a nonexistent unfurnished room on 115th Street, I'll get bumped to UAH and receive one of the leftover room assignments. For those of you who did not request the law school housing - were you allowed to rank preferences like the importance of price, proximity to the law school, etc? There was no space for me to do anything like that since my primary request was for the law school buildings.

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand, UAH and Law School Housing are completely separate offices. My guess is that those who requested UAH were forwarded directly to their office yesterday, if not earlier, and UAH just works more quickly than the law school housing office which is only two people. Look on the bright side --if they do run out of law school housing and you get bumped to UAH, you will probably end up spending a lot less!

ETA: To answer your question, I initially requested UAH, and there was nowhere to rank the importance of various preferences. You just got to pick your first three choices and the price you were willing to pay for them, which was the same as if you requested law school housing. The only difference was that you didn't pick specific buildings for UAH like you did for law school housing.

I requested just one building within law school housing (although I had to fill in my preferences with the other buildings), but then e-mailed Juliana and told her that if I didn't get that one building, I'd prefer UAH and listed my UAH preferences there. I had spoken to her on the phone prior and she said that I could approach the housing that way - I hope it works out but no guarantees.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 am

joiedevivre18 wrote:
I requested just one building within law school housing (although I had to fill in my preferences with the other buildings), but then e-mailed Juliana and told her that if I didn't get that one building, I'd prefer UAH and listed my UAH preferences there. I had spoken to her on the phone prior and she said that I could approach the housing that way - I hope it works out but no guarantees.

I did that too actually. I'm torn between really wanting my assignment and knowing that I don't have the money to pay the deposit yet haha

tonton

Postby tonton » Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 pm

I get really exhausted and teenager-angst-y "no one understands me!" about everything that has to do with the attending Columbia Law process, then I come here and gain some of my sanity back :)

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:

Looks great. I can't imagine how much it would cost to rent this same apartment from a normal landlord.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 am

TheColonel wrote:
joiedevivre18 wrote:

Looks great. I can't imagine how much it would cost to rent this same apartment from a normal landlord.

Seriously. Thank goodness Columbia subsidizes... Did you request furnished?

angflos

Postby angflos » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

I got a studio efficiency 512 W 112th St. Looks like pretty much what I wanted (I was looking for something cheap) although the utilities aren't included and I'm not sure how much those will add on (rent is $1264).

Anyone know if you can pay for these units by term rather than by month? Would make budgeting a lot easier.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

angflos wrote:I got a studio efficiency 512 W 112th St. Looks like pretty much what I wanted (I was looking for something cheap) although the utilities aren't included and I'm not sure how much those will add on (rent is $1264).

Anyone know if you can pay for these units by term rather than by month? Would make budgeting a lot easier.

Congrats! Did you apply for couples housing or as a single? Any idea what the square footage is?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”