Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby smdpnp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello ladies and gents, looks like I'll be joining you in Morningside. :mrgreen:

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm

anybody going to "Mondays at Columbia" this monday? Think it's the last one. Also, for anyone who's been, how was the apartment viewing portion? Did they show you multiple housing options?

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby smdpnp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm

djwjddl wrote:anybody going to "Mondays at Columbia" this monday? Think it's the last one. Also, for anyone who's been, how was the apartment viewing portion? Did they show you multiple housing options?

I'm definitely going if I can get back to the city in time. Also interested in hearing about the apartment viewings.

Bob-Loblaw 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Checking in, just got accepted! Couldn't be happier.

permapress
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby permapress » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

permapress wrote:hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...


I asked on the phone a while back and the answer is: yes.

(They don't like you to, for security reasons, so I faxed from work. But they WILL take them.)

Bob-Loblaw 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Do most people try to find their own apartments or is grad housing the way to go?

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

permapress wrote:hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...


LOLOL good luck getting that decision asap

permapress
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby permapress » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 pm

helix23 wrote:
permapress wrote:hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...


LOLOL good luck getting that decision asap


:'( :'( that doesn't bode well...

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby moonman157 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Officially finally for real checking in here! Can't wait for August!

J90
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby J90 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 am

moonman157 wrote:Officially finally for real checking in here! Can't wait for August!


Congrats, man! Glad to have you going too.

arrggg
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby arrggg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:44 am

Has anyone been successful in getting CLS to increase their initial grant offer? I sent them an email asking them to increase my grant money, and I'm wondering if it's a lost cause.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm

anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged.

does anyone know if fin aid at cls tries to address this issue somehow?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

djwjddl wrote:anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged.

does anyone know if fin aid at cls tries to address this issue somehow?


It doesn't seem purely need-based. Also, generally speaking, most places evaluate need by your financial status going into college. If they re-evaluated it every year, then I would assume everyone would appear to be eligible for need-based aid, since no one will have a job and there would be no way to differentiate among who is most needy.

On the other hand, I'm not a K-JD either, but I supposedly showed well enough on Need Access and the questionnaire that I do not earn enough to save for law school and my parents aren't contributing either, because I got a $40k (total) grant. Again, I'm not convinced it's entirely need-based.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:52 pm

ph5354a wrote:
djwjddl wrote:anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged.

does anyone know if fin aid at cls tries to address this issue somehow?


It doesn't seem purely need-based. Also, generally speaking, most places evaluate need by your financial status going into college. If they re-evaluated it every year, then I would assume everyone would appear to be eligible for need-based aid, since no one will have a job and there would be no way to differentiate among who is most needy.

On the other hand, I'm not a K-JD either, but I supposedly showed well enough on Need Access and the questionnaire that I do not earn enough to save for law school and my parents aren't contributing either, because I got a $40k (total) grant. Again, I'm not convinced it's entirely need-based.


wait, what? why do they ask for your most recent income tax statement, or any other financial information regarding your post-college employment then? if my parents won the lottery after i entered college, that wouldn't matter? :D

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

djwjddl wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
It doesn't seem purely need-based. Also, generally speaking, most places evaluate need by your financial status going into college. If they re-evaluated it every year, then I would assume everyone would appear to be eligible for need-based aid, since no one will have a job and there would be no way to differentiate among who is most needy.

On the other hand, I'm not a K-JD either, but I supposedly showed well enough on Need Access and the questionnaire that I do not earn enough to save for law school and my parents aren't contributing either, because I got a $40k (total) grant. Again, I'm not convinced it's entirely need-based.


wait, what? why do they ask for your most recent income tax statement, or any other financial information regarding your post-college employment then? if my parents won the lottery after i entered college, that wouldn't matter? :D


Right, they ask for your most recent tax returns to evaluate your current financial status (or, 2012 status). I don't have my award letter in front of me, but I think there's some vague language in there about informing them of any changes in your financial status, like marriage, etc. Winning the lottery would probably fall into that category. But, if they're evaluating your financial status independent of your parents, then theoretically that wouldn't matter anyways, but I get your point. I just meant that re-evaluating financial need each year would be largely pointless, because everybody would appear to have great financial need, since we're students, and it would be impossible for them to prioritize aid to those who have the most need.

User avatar
Audeamus
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Audeamus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm

accepted earlier today! still can't believe it.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby moonman157 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Audeamus wrote:accepted earlier today! still can't believe it.


Congrats!!!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?

arrggg
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby arrggg » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 pm

ph5354a wrote:Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?


I sent an e-mail to fin aid on Monday. Still haven't heard anything from them (not even acknowledgement that they received it).

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am

arrggg wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?


I sent an e-mail to fin aid on Monday. Still haven't heard anything from them (not even acknowledgement that they received it).


They won't acknowledge it. Calling works better than email.

User avatar
tkim129
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby tkim129 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 am

Checking in. Admitted on 4/16. Congrats to all my new fellow Lions!

Excited for CLS, but not forward to looking having finances comparable to the federal budget.

So...Big Law or Bust 2016 :D

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:56 pm

helix23 wrote:
arrggg wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?


I sent an e-mail to fin aid on Monday. Still haven't heard anything from them (not even acknowledgement that they received it).


They won't acknowledge it. Calling works better than email.


Just submitted my appeal. I'll follow-up in person on Monday.

Bob-Loblaw 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Checking in. Admitted on 4/16. Congrats to all my new fellow Lions!


Congrats!

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby txdude45 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

So, I reached under my bed and found some money to reduce my debt load. I'll be depositing at Columbia tomorrow!




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest