Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
az21833

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby az21833 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
az21833 wrote:anybody know whether you can negotiate into a butler? has anybody gotten one besides with admit letter? say you were in at HYS and have a rubenstein and vanderbilt (i abs. do not)

hey az, so the consensus from what I've seen is that you cannot receive a named scholarship @ CLS unless its with admission. You can get a "Butler"-esque grant award however -- $25K or $30K -- but not the "Butler" itself. With your HS acceptances, I'm sure you could get the money, but they really reserve the prestige names for those 175+.

Have you PM'd Pacifica? I know he came to Columbia with yale, stanford, and harvard acceptances, and was shot down earlier this year.

very helpful. i just got my award and they said they were unable to give me grant money. is that where the 30K would have shown up? im shocked that i got 0 instead...

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Whoa, shocked at that az. One other award reported in the applicants thread but none others yet?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm

how does CLS possibly expect to get applicants to pay sticker there over HLS and SLS?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 pm

az21833 wrote:how does CLS possibly expect to get applicants to pay sticker there over HLS and SLS?

I think they expect to get applicants without HLS/SLS to pay sticker.

voytek

Postby voytek » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:20 am

Do aid awards come via snail mail or online?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:41 am

they email it as an attachment. did anybdoy else get the line that said we cant give you any grants?

JVK

Postby JVK » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been lurking on this forum for a while but just made an account. I sent my deposit in last night, so this seemed like the right place for a first post. Chose Columbia over a good deal of money from UVA, Michigan, Duke and UCLA but I'm confident I made the right choice.

I did call in this last Tuesday to check on my financial aid application. The aid officer had said that aid would start coming out this Friday (which it has, as per two of you!), and was kind enough to let me know if I was in that first group of aid offers (I wasn't). I wrapped up the last of my aid materials in mid-March and she said I MIGHT have my file reviewed by the end of this coming week. Maybe sooner but I don't think anyone's willing to make promises and I understand that.

I don't know if they'll come out in waves after this, she made it sound like they were reviewing them as they went along and would send them out accordingly. It's probably not too different from how rolling decisions were coming out a month ago, which is sadly sporadic and unpredictable. We'll see. Looking forward to seeing a few of you next year.

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Hey, congrats! Looks like I will probably be joining you soon on that. And thanks for the info on financial aid - I am so antsy.

JVK

Postby JVK » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 pm

kakistocracy wrote:Hey, congrats! Looks like I will probably be joining you soon on that. And thanks for the info on financial aid - I am so antsy.

Haha thanks, Kakistocracy. Have to hope my mind doesn't check out completely at my job for the next couple months, now that I've made a decision. Ready to start. :)

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Wait, so people have already heard about financial aid? And some people have been specifically told they won't be getting any? Or am I just confused lol

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 pm

yeah i got an email with my financial aid package attached. it says, "we regret to inform you we are unable to offer you a grant for your studies at Columbia Law School." 171/4 to give you an idea

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 pm

just withdrew guys, numbers just didn't make sense in terms of paying the same amount at C as H/S. Maybe I could have negotiated into 15K or something but it still would not have been significant enough to consider

That being said i spent my UG years in the heights and loved it. you guys are in for a real treat and unrivaled employment opportunities. Keep 1020 warm for me (you will know soon if you do not already)

tonton

Postby tonton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:45 am

Could someone pls post the number of the fin aid office? I've been calling the number on the website, but have never gotten the option to speak to an aid officer, just the loonnngg automated explantions. need to reach them cause not sure if my fin aid application is complete, and have gotten no email replies. Thanks!

JVK

Postby JVK » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 am

tonton wrote:Could someone pls post the number of the fin aid office? I've been calling the number on the website, but have never gotten the option to speak to an aid officer, just the loonnngg automated explantions. need to reach them cause not sure if my fin aid application is complete, and have gotten no email replies. Thanks!

Hit zero when the automated message starts. Hit zero again when it brings you to the next menu. That should connect you straight to a person. :)

tonton

Postby tonton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:14 pm

JVK wrote:
tonton wrote:Could someone pls post the number of the fin aid office? I've been calling the number on the website, but have never gotten the option to speak to an aid officer, just the loonnngg automated explantions. need to reach them cause not sure if my fin aid application is complete, and have gotten no email replies. Thanks!

Hit zero when the automated message starts. Hit zero again when it brings you to the next menu. That should connect you straight to a person. :)

Thank youu!!

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

voytek wrote:Do aid awards come via snail mail or online?

I actually got my award via snail mail. I thought it was pretty generous.

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Also got my financial aid today in the mail! Columbia definitely doles out merit- I'm pretty sure my family doesn't qualify for need-based. Also reasonably surprised, since I submitted my docs relatively late.

slienthill

Postby slienthill » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 am

When did you guys submit the docs?

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am

slienthill wrote:When did you guys submit the docs?

I remember submitting very close to the deadline. But I don't remember when that deadline was. Sorry.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Anyone planning on living off-campus/commuting from another part of the city? I'm still dealing with sticker shock about rent...

tonton

Postby tonton » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Anyone planning on living off-campus/commuting from another part of the city? I'm still dealing with sticker shock about rent...

I feel like I should definitely be worried about this, only that I'm not sure what you mean. The one-month deposit payment due sometime in May(one of my major worries right now)? Please explain and add to my financial misery.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 pm

tonton wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Anyone planning on living off-campus/commuting from another part of the city? I'm still dealing with sticker shock about rent...

I feel like I should definitely be worried about this, only that I'm not sure what you mean. The one-month deposit payment due sometime in May(one of my major worries right now)? Please explain and add to my financial misery.

Hmmm? What's that about a housing deposit in May? Sounds like I should be asking you to add to MY misery...

I just mean quite simply that NYC rent is mindboggling to this Chicagoan, and while CLS housing isn't that bad price-wise I feel like I might be able to find something better and cheaper somewhere else. East Harlem, UWS, etc.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
tonton wrote:

Hmmm? What's that about a housing deposit in May? Sounds like I should be asking you to add to MY misery...

I just mean quite simply that NYC rent is mindboggling to this Chicagoan, and while CLS housing isn't that bad price-wise I feel like I might be able to find something better and cheaper somewhere else. East Harlem, UWS, etc.

Have you looked into a share in the non-law school housing? Some of the places I looked at during ASW were like $900 for your own room in a triple, which is a really good deal. I think the only way to get cheaper in the morningside heights area is to split a studio/small 1 bedroom with a significant other.

You could probably get cheaper deals in east/central Harlem or Washington Heights/Inwood, but you run the risk of getting into some not nice neighborhoods and a bit of a commute. And anywhere south of morningside heights, you might be living in a closet for that cheap of rent.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Have you looked into a share in the non-law school housing? Some of the places I looked at during ASW were like $900 for your own room in a triple, which is a really good deal. I think the only way to get cheaper in the morningside heights area is to split a studio/small 1 bedroom with a significant other.

You could probably get cheaper deals in east/central Harlem or Washington Heights/Inwood, but you run the risk of getting into some not nice neighborhoods and a bit of a commute. And anywhere south of morningside heights, you might be living in a closet for that cheap of rent.

I have a hookah habit, so roommates are a risky proposition - I've asked a lot of questions to the housing office about it, and their responses basically boiled down to, "we can't tell you what buildings are smoke-friendly, nor can we place you with roommates that will be ok with it. Piss off". Which is somewhat understandable, but also frustrating for someone in my position.

I did look at a studio and a 1BDR during the March ASW that were not super expensive, but I got the sense you needed to be applying as a family for a lot of them. I don't really mind commute or bad neighborhoods - moving from the south side of Chicago 8)

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Checking in. Admitted maybe an hour ago, I think it's a no brainer for me.

Do I only need to go fill out the FAFSA and application forms on my admitted students account to apply for financial aid?

Would love if someone could pm me and help with some questions I may have, thanks!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”