Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby 309020 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:36 am

untar614 wrote:
jubee wrote:also i just saw this info under the admitted students page about examsoft, id post link but dunno if itd work since its through my account:

Exams on Notebook Computers

Columbia Law School (CLS) offers students the option of using a notebook computer to take in-class proctored exams (essay-type only).

In order to use a notebook computer to take exams, students will be asked to download and install a software application called SofTest.

SofTest is offered and supported by ExamSoft and was carefully selected by the law school’s Registration Services department as the official exam software at CLS. You may not use any other software to take CLS exams during the 2013/2014 academic year.
SofTest is available for IBM-compatible notebook computers running English versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Apple Macintosh.
SofTest is available for Intel-based Macs running English versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, via Boot Camp.
SofTest does NOT run on software emulators such as Virtual PC, Parallels, or VMware Fusion.
SofTest does NOT support non-English versions of Windows.
Students who fail to meet any of the aforementioned requirement(s) must handwrite their exams. 

The current version of SofTest does not require floppy disks. Students download the exam file(s) and submit their answer file(s) via the Internet. You will need an Internet connection to download the exam file(s) (prior to arriving in the exam room) and to upload your answer file(s) at the end of the exam in the exam room. 
In order to connect to the Internet in the exam room, you are required to register your Ethernet card in LawNet prior to the exam. 

Please make sure to take the necessary precautions to secure your computer (please see reverse side). If your computer becomes infected at any point, you may lose access to the Internet until you clean up your laptop. This can take days, endanger your personal documents; or require you to reformat your hard-drive and re-install your operating system and all your applications from scratch. 
There are some steps you must take to ensure that your notebook computer will be ready for exams:

Your notebook computer must meet or exceed the hardware and software requirements
You must take the necessary steps to secure your computer
You must perform each and every one of the steps listed in the exam checklist"

My mac air runs lion or whatever the Mac operating system is (sorry i'm not very tech savvy), not windows. does this mean i can't run softest...?

ur gonna have to set up bootcamp and make a windows partition. Or get another computer.

This seems preposterously unfair. There's such a clear advantage in typing over handwriting on an exam, I can hardly believe they'd make it so difficult for so many people, given that macs are pretty much the most universally owned product on college campuses. I don't want to spend time and money junking up my computer with a Windows partition I will literally never use for any other purpose! Maybe I should drag my 2,000 pound, 10 year old virus-riddled Dell out of the closet, wipe it clean, and haul it to NY. As if I have room to store a bunch of barely useful crap....

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 am

Boot Camp's easy to set up, and IT's there to do it for you if you need help. (That's what they did a couple years ago, anyway.) But I don't think any of this is necessary anymore, now that the latest version of SofTest can run natively on Macs.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 am

txdude45 wrote:
MCFC wrote:Random, but anyone have any decent recommendations for a place to get a rug/carpet remnant in NY?

Craigslist? I'm probably gonna go with that, or IKEA.

Ditto. I think there's a school-chartered bus that takes incoming students to Bed Bath & Beyond, but that might just be for UGs. Gonna try and hop on anyway.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 pm

smdpnp wrote:Boot Camp's easy to set up, and IT's there to do it for you if you need help. (That's what they did a couple years ago, anyway.) But I don't think any of this is necessary anymore, now that the latest version of SofTest can run natively on Macs.

Yeah I just did a little google search and I would hope/it would seem they just haven't updated that section of their website.

https://www.examsoft.com/dotnet/Default ... olumbialaw
If you go there and click on system requirements it says that the newest versions of examsoft/softest can be run on apple operating systems, so Columbia's page just must be out of date.
(unless they are assholes and require us to use an older version of softest that doesn't support mac OS....?)

Postby 309020 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:32 pm

jubee wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Boot Camp's easy to set up, and IT's there to do it for you if you need help. (That's what they did a couple years ago, anyway.) But I don't think any of this is necessary anymore, now that the latest version of SofTest can run natively on Macs.

Yeah I just did a little google search and I would hope/it would seem they just haven't updated that section of their website.

If you go there and click on system requirements it says that the newest versions of examsoft/softest can be run on apple operating systems, so Columbia's page just must be out of date.
(unless they are assholes and require us to use an older version of softest that doesn't support mac OS....?)

Great, I hope this is true. The Columbia page did mention this specific academic year, which makes it seem like it's up to date, but maybe it's just an oversight and they haven't realized the new version will work yet.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:21 pm

309020 wrote:
jubee wrote:

Great, I hope this is true. The Columbia page did mention this specific academic year, which makes it seem like it's up to date, but maybe it's just an oversight and they haven't realized the new version will work yet.

did even more digging and found this: http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/newsyouca ... n-exams-2/

So yeah, don't think were gonna have to use bootcamp luckily! also could probably easily be solved by calling the IT department haha

ETA: still confused about which version they are using though, because the first version out that supported mac OS's didn't support mountain lion ( OS 10.8 )....and I have that. UGH gonna call tomorrow to ask...

Postby 309020 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:49 pm

jubee wrote:
309020 wrote:
jubee wrote:

did even more digging and found this: http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/newsyouca ... n-exams-2/

So yeah, don't think were gonna have to use bootcamp luckily! also could probably easily be solved by calling the IT department haha

ETA: still confused about which version they are using though, because the first version out that supported mac OS's didn't support mountain lion ( OS 10.8 )....and I have that. UGH gonna call tomorrow to ask...

Let us know what you find out! I have Mountain Lion too — hope that's not an issue. I really don't want to deal with any partitioning. I had a dumb false start with bootcamp when I first made the PC-to-Mac switch (didn't want to let go of my PC Sims and expansion packs, super cool, I know) and don't want to relive it.

ETA: looked it up, and Mountain Lion wasn't released until July 2012, so the post you reference was written before that. Mountain Lion is probably supported by now. Still, would be nice to have confirmation.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:43 am

I feel like I am unbelievably unprepared for school. I can't believe you guys are so on top of the exam software nonsense. I can't even remember which Mac I have. I think it's the one before Mountain Lion. Prairie Dog? Snow wildebeest? Something like that.

My loan still hasn't been verified by Columbia (nor have they responded to my response about the stafford MPN). I will probably end up with no money and living like those kids from Rent.

jubee

Postby jubee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 am

ph5354a wrote:I feel like I am unbelievably unprepared for school. I can't believe you guys are so on top of the exam software nonsense. I can't even remember which Mac I have. I think it's the one before Mountain Lion. Prairie Dog? Snow wildebeest? Something like that.

My loan still hasn't been verified by Columbia (nor have they responded to my response about the stafford MPN). I will probably end up with no money and living like those kids from Rent.

Don't worry I just came across this stuff recently on a part of the admitted student site I have never even seen so I felt dumb and panicked that I bought a new computer that wasnt going to work easily for the most crucial aspect of law school!

But I just called the IT department and he said he was confident that they supported version 10.8 because the examsoft website said that they support 10.8, I asked if he knew Columbia had the latest version of the software because thats what the examsoft site was referring too and I'm pretty sure the versions first released supporting Mac only supported up until 10.7. He said when the new software comes out the examsoft ppl come to the school and give it to them so he would think we had the latest version, but I was kinda skeptical that he couldn't just definitively say oh we have the latest version and it supports 10.8, like isn't it just written somewhere what frickin version the school is running currently... But I asked him several times if he was confident whatever they had ran 10.8 and he said he was and gave him my email and he said he'd look into it more and Email me.

Tl;dr the IT guy thinks they have the version that supports 10.8, but didnt sound 100% confident

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am

smdpnp wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
MCFC wrote:Random, but anyone have any decent recommendations for a place to get a rug/carpet remnant in NY?

Craigslist? I'm probably gonna go with that, or IKEA.

Ditto. I think there's a school-chartered bus that takes incoming students to Bed Bath & Beyond, but that might just be for UGs. Gonna try and hop on anyway.

Thanks. That was my thinking as well, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obvious option I was blanking on or unaware of.

ph5354a wrote:I feel like I am unbelievably unprepared for school. I can't believe you guys are so on top of the exam software nonsense. I can't even remember which Mac I have. I think it's the one before Mountain Lion. Prairie Dog? Snow wildebeest? Something like that.

I feel the same way.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Late to the hullabaloo, but this :) (The preceding line says the software is available for Macs, too, despite its ambiguity.)

Gantor

Postby Gantor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:03 pm

2L at CLS here. Just wanted to congratulate all of you incoming 1Ls. Great job! You made it!

And for anyone stressing over exam software, I wouldn't worry too much. I can confirm that ExamSoft definitely works for Macs. Very few (if any) people have problems getting it installed and IT can work with you in person if you have any problems. In any case, the Legal Methods exam is basically just one big practice run for law school exam-taking and since it doesn't actually matter--I can't stress this enough: the Legal Methods exam does not matter and is impossible to fail--you'll get to take ExamSoft on a full test run before ever having to use it on a real exam.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Officially withdrew. It's been real, y'all.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm

yeah I feel pretty clueless and it makes me sorta nervous, but then again whatever happens happens. I'll cross all the bridges when I get to them.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:27 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Officially withdrew. It's been real, y'all.

Sad to see you go, but enjoy UChi.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

+1

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 am

lunaraeon wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

+1

Peace man. Congrats

voytek

Postby voytek » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 am

So, this is happening during legal methods time: http://www.madeevent.com/ElectricZoo/

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm

voytek wrote:So, this is happening during legal methods time: http://www.madeevent.com/ElectricZoo/

And it looks sick.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm

voytek wrote:So, this is happening during legal methods time: http://www.madeevent.com/ElectricZoo/

I'm in. Let's form the CLS House Music Club and see if we can get some free tickets.

voytek

Postby voytek » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm

cws277 wrote:

I'm in. Let's form the CLS House Music Club and see if we can get some free tickets.

Brilliant! I'll def be going to Saturday, not sure about Fri/Sun yet.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:46 pm

voytek wrote:
cws277 wrote:

Brilliant! I'll def be going to Saturday, not sure about Fri/Sun yet.

100% down, no chance I won't be going to this

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm

anybody else getting an error message that they need to be logged into lawnet (even though they are) when trying to view the "academics" section of the orientation website?

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:27 pm

djwjddl wrote:anybody else getting an error message that they need to be logged into lawnet (even though they are) when trying to view the "academics" section of the orientation website?

Yup, running into the same problem.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:59 pm

kakistocracy wrote:
djwjddl wrote:anybody else getting an error message that they need to be logged into lawnet (even though they are) when trying to view the "academics" section of the orientation website?

Yup, running into the same problem.

Yep.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”