Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:50 pm

jubee wrote:it seems beyond ludicrous to require someone to pay for their health insurance if they already have insurance that they are satisfied with...i'm gonna turn into the hulk if my waiver gets denied

you and me both. I assume schools require you to have insurance for a reason, but I don't think my UG had any specific requirements, just that you had it.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 pm

ph5354a wrote:
jubee wrote:it seems beyond ludicrous to require someone to pay for their health insurance if they already have insurance that they are satisfied with...i'm gonna turn into the hulk if my waiver gets denied

you and me both. I assume schools require you to have insurance for a reason, but I don't think my UG had any specific requirements, just that you had it.

How long ago did you submit? do you know how long it takes to find out?

thanks again for all your help hopefully neither of us will have to hulkify :)

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

jubee wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

How long ago did you submit? do you know how long it takes to find out?

thanks again for all your help hopefully neither of us will have to hulkify :)

I think I submitted it about ...two weeks ago. I'm not sure if we really hear anything if it goes through, which is why I want to keep an eye on my student account to see if they include it or not. Yeah...I don't look good in green.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:27 pm

jubee wrote:it seems beyond ludicrous to require someone to pay for their health insurance if they already have insurance that they are satisfied with

So glad to have you join us at CLS, Mr. Boehner :D

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Yup, my (...okay, my parents) insurance met all the critera except for the deductible. So no-go on the waiver.

Have any recent admits gotten their official loan info / confirmation after having submitted their official requests and signing the MPNs on the fed website? Not like the award letter but the actual loan award. It's been weeks now and I haven't heard anything, though I called them and they said they would simply e-mail me if they were missing anything. I'm just curious.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm

StillIll wrote:Yup, my (...okay, my parents) insurance met all the critera except for the deductible. So no-go on the waiver.

Have any recent admits gotten their official loan info / confirmation after having submitted their official requests and signing the MPNs on the fed website? Not like the award letter but the actual loan award. It's been weeks now and I haven't heard anything, though I called them and they said they would simply e-mail me if they were missing anything. I'm just curious.

I got an email yesterday saying I didn't fill out the MNP (I'm guessing I signed the wrong one...) so looks like they're working through them right now.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
StillIll wrote:Yup, my (...okay, my parents) insurance met all the critera except for the deductible. So no-go on the waiver.

I got an email yesterday saying I didn't fill out the MNP (I'm guessing I signed the wrong one...) so looks like they're working through them right now.

I got that email too, but I went back and double checked and I didn't see any other that I should have signed, so I replied and was like wtf (but not really). So yeah, I think they're processing them now. I also hadn't done the entrance counseling yet, so they sent me an email about that. They're also still verifying my private loan application.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:15 pm

New Girl is on Netflix. That is all.

Kay bai now, off to burn the color off my retinas from the glow of my iPad in continuous New Girl episodes.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:53 am

Attempted to visit my apartment on 115th yesterday, but I couldn't because it's being renovated. I don't know if that's true for all of 411 or just my unit.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 am

djwjddl wrote:Went for a viewing of my lenfest studio yesterday. Took measurements and tried re-arranging my room. It's a small, but clean and cozy space. Windows didn't have blinds though. Hopefully they'll get those up before I move in. Realized Ill be able to fit in a 2-3 seater couch in the room, which will be nice.

How'd you get inside? I'm thinking of taking another look at Lenfest the next time I'm in the UWS, but I doubt the doorman's going to let a random person in.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:36 am

smdpnp wrote:
djwjddl wrote:Went for a viewing of my lenfest studio yesterday. Took measurements and tried re-arranging my room. It's a small, but clean and cozy space. Windows didn't have blinds though. Hopefully they'll get those up before I move in. Realized Ill be able to fit in a 2-3 seater couch in the room, which will be nice.

How'd you get inside? I'm thinking of taking another look at Lenfest the next time I'm in the UWS, but I doubt the doorman's going to let a random person in.

Just go to the UAH office (the same place where you will sign the lease) and request a visit slip. That will give you directions on how to contact a person who will let you into the building and your unit. I did it for my apartment a month ago and it is super easy.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:15 pm

smdpnp wrote:

If you walk briskly in a pilot's uniform, you can go pretty much anywhere.

amsong

Postby amsong » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi you guys. I'm joining you. Now off to read everything you wrote in the last 55 pages so I am not a repetitive nuisance :)

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm

amsong wrote:Hi you guys. I'm joining you. Now off to read everything you wrote in the last 55 pages so I am not a repetitive nuisance :)

PM someone if you want to join us on FB once you're done. :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Are you guys saying its too late to request waivers for health insurance? Wtf?

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:16 pm

No, just the NY state has pretty intense health insurance requirements. Which is good, I guess, but most people's insurance doesn't meet the criteria needed to get a waiver.

amsong

Postby amsong » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:07 am

Will somebody be a dear and post the orientation schedule? I can't access the thingy without my lawnet ID, and the lawnet activation site doesn't work for me yet. I assume it's too early for me to be in the system.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 pm

for anyone thats submitted a photo already for lawnet/ID, how long did it take to get approved?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:16 pm

jubee wrote:for anyone thats submitted a photo already for lawnet/ID, how long did it take to get approved?

It took over a month for mine to get rejected.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 pm

also i just saw this info under the admitted students page about examsoft, id post link but dunno if itd work since its through my account:

Exams on Notebook Computers

Columbia Law School (CLS) offers students the option of using a notebook computer to take in-class proctored exams (essay-type only).

In order to use a notebook computer to take exams, students will be asked to download and install a software application called SofTest.

SofTest is offered and supported by ExamSoft and was carefully selected by the law school’s Registration Services department as the official exam software at CLS. You may not use any other software to take CLS exams during the 2013/2014 academic year.
SofTest is available for IBM-compatible notebook computers running English versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Apple Macintosh.
SofTest is available for Intel-based Macs running English versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, via Boot Camp.
SofTest does NOT run on software emulators such as Virtual PC, Parallels, or VMware Fusion.
SofTest does NOT support non-English versions of Windows.
Students who fail to meet any of the aforementioned requirement(s) must handwrite their exams. 

The current version of SofTest does not require floppy disks. Students download the exam file(s) and submit their answer file(s) via the Internet. You will need an Internet connection to download the exam file(s) (prior to arriving in the exam room) and to upload your answer file(s) at the end of the exam in the exam room. 
In order to connect to the Internet in the exam room, you are required to register your Ethernet card in LawNet prior to the exam. 

Please make sure to take the necessary precautions to secure your computer (please see reverse side). If your computer becomes infected at any point, you may lose access to the Internet until you clean up your laptop. This can take days, endanger your personal documents; or require you to reformat your hard-drive and re-install your operating system and all your applications from scratch. 
There are some steps you must take to ensure that your notebook computer will be ready for exams:

Your notebook computer must meet or exceed the hardware and software requirements
You must take the necessary steps to secure your computer
You must perform each and every one of the steps listed in the exam checklist"

My mac air runs lion or whatever the Mac operating system is (sorry i'm not very tech savvy), not windows. does this mean i can't run softest...?

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:49 pm

jubee wrote:also i just saw this info under the admitted students page about examsoft, id post link but dunno if itd work since its through my account:

Exams on Notebook Computers

Columbia Law School (CLS) offers students the option of using a notebook computer to take in-class proctored exams (essay-type only).

In order to use a notebook computer to take exams, students will be asked to download and install a software application called SofTest.

SofTest is offered and supported by ExamSoft and was carefully selected by the law school’s Registration Services department as the official exam software at CLS. You may not use any other software to take CLS exams during the 2013/2014 academic year.
SofTest is available for IBM-compatible notebook computers running English versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Apple Macintosh.
SofTest is available for Intel-based Macs running English versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, via Boot Camp.
SofTest does NOT run on software emulators such as Virtual PC, Parallels, or VMware Fusion.
SofTest does NOT support non-English versions of Windows.
Students who fail to meet any of the aforementioned requirement(s) must handwrite their exams. 

The current version of SofTest does not require floppy disks. Students download the exam file(s) and submit their answer file(s) via the Internet. You will need an Internet connection to download the exam file(s) (prior to arriving in the exam room) and to upload your answer file(s) at the end of the exam in the exam room. 
In order to connect to the Internet in the exam room, you are required to register your Ethernet card in LawNet prior to the exam. 

Please make sure to take the necessary precautions to secure your computer (please see reverse side). If your computer becomes infected at any point, you may lose access to the Internet until you clean up your laptop. This can take days, endanger your personal documents; or require you to reformat your hard-drive and re-install your operating system and all your applications from scratch. 
There are some steps you must take to ensure that your notebook computer will be ready for exams:

Your notebook computer must meet or exceed the hardware and software requirements
You must take the necessary steps to secure your computer
You must perform each and every one of the steps listed in the exam checklist"

My mac air runs lion or whatever the Mac operating system is (sorry i'm not very tech savvy), not windows. does this mean i can't run softest...?

ur gonna have to set up bootcamp and make a windows partition. Or get another computer.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:53 pm

txdude45 wrote:
jubee wrote:for anyone thats submitted a photo already for lawnet/ID, how long did it take to get approved?

It took over a month for mine to get rejected.

lolyeah. They said mine was "blurry". It totally wasn't, but their resolution standards are higher than what my digital camera can produce. Of course the only advice IT gives is to find a friend with a better camera. Luckily I have one, but srsly, wtf.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:03 pm

ur gonna have to set up bootcamp and make a windows partition. Or get another computer.

oh okay is that common/easy? just bought this computer haha so not planning on getting a new one....seen enough people discuss using macs at law school that didn't think it would cause issues...

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Random, but anyone have any decent recommendations for a place to get a rug/carpet remnant in NY?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am

MCFC wrote:Random, but anyone have any decent recommendations for a place to get a rug/carpet remnant in NY?

Craigslist? I'm probably gonna go with that, or IKEA.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”