Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
helix23

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby helix23 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:27 pm

battlerifle13 wrote:Thanks for volunteering to pick up the beers helix you're the man!

No prob, Will it be your usual Mickeys forties or did you get all fancy on me?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:
battlerifle13 wrote:Anyone else moving into Lenfest somewhat early? I'll be moving in the morning of the 9th after a delightful cross-coast redeye.

The 12th, in the afternoon-ish. Beers will commence as soon as I can kick my parents out.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
battlerifle13 wrote:Anyone else moving into Lenfest somewhat early? I'll be moving in the morning of the 9th after a delightful cross-coast redeye.

The 12th, in the afternoon-ish. Beers will commence as soon as I can kick my parents out.

Fantastic, I'll use my three extra days to procure some beverages so that the drinking can happen as soon as possible.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Went for a viewing of my lenfest studio yesterday. Took measurements and tried re-arranging my room. It's a small, but clean and cozy space. Windows didn't have blinds though. Hopefully they'll get those up before I move in. Realized Ill be able to fit in a 2-3 seater couch in the room, which will be nice.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Has anyone requested in-school deferment for their UG loans yet? If so, what's the process to have Columbia certify that you're a student?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 pm

P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm a HUGE wonkblog fan. Ezra Klein can analyze my graphs anytime he wants.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm

ph5354a wrote:Has anyone requested in-school deferment for their UG loans yet? If so, what's the process to have Columbia certify that you're a student?

I called them a few weeks ago about this and they told me I had to wait until I arrived on campus and was officially registered for classes for them to be able to complete and submit the forms. I think you have to go to an office on central campus called "Student Services" or something along those lines to have them processed. Hope this helps.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Has anyone requested in-school deferment for their UG loans yet? If so, what's the process to have Columbia certify that you're a student?

I called them a few weeks ago about this and they told me I had to wait until I arrived on campus and was officially registered for classes for them to be able to complete and submit the forms. I think you have to go to an office on central campus called "Student Services" or something along those lines to have them processed. Hope this helps.

Thanks! When I first spoke to my lenders about it, they said I wouldn't have to make my (early) August loan payment because it will have gone into deferment by then...so wondering how that will work since I didn't really budget to make that payment. Oh well!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

djwjddl wrote:Went for a viewing of my lenfest studio yesterday. Took measurements and tried re-arranging my room. It's a small, but clean and cozy space. Windows didn't have blinds though. Hopefully they'll get those up before I move in. Realized Ill be able to fit in a 2-3 seater couch in the room, which will be nice.

Ooh, really? Do you have the standard 13x13ish layout? If I can't fit some sort of couch or loveseat in there, I am going to have a bad time.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:23 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
djwjddl wrote:Went for a viewing of my lenfest studio yesterday. Took measurements and tried re-arranging my room. It's a small, but clean and cozy space. Windows didn't have blinds though. Hopefully they'll get those up before I move in. Realized Ill be able to fit in a 2-3 seater couch in the room, which will be nice.

Ooh, really? Do you have the standard 13x13ish layout? If I can't fit some sort of couch or loveseat in there, I am going to have a bad time.

I believe so. It's the standard 320 sq ft. size.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm

djwjddl wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

I believe so. It's the standard 320 sq ft. size.

Sounds larger than 13x13.. More like 15x15 w/ bathroom

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

no, it's 13x13. just checked

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 am

Does anyone have anything listed under their student account? I got those emails saying it was updated, but still nothing. I only care because I think that's the best way to track if they've processed my insurance waiver...

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:39 pm

ph5354a wrote:Does anyone have anything listed under their student account? I got those emails saying it was updated, but still nothing. I only care because I think that's the best way to track if they've processed my insurance waiver...

im filling out the waiver now--- seriously are we supposed to know the answers to all those coverage questions? (which are poorly phrased and have typing errors) how did you find that out, by just calling the insurance company?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:42 pm

jubee wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Does anyone have anything listed under their student account? I got those emails saying it was updated, but still nothing. I only care because I think that's the best way to track if they've processed my insurance waiver...

im filling out the waiver now--- seriously are we supposed to know the answers to all those coverage questions? (which are poorly phrased and have typing errors) how did you find that out, by just calling the insurance company?

Yeah it's pretty obnoxious. I actually asked my dad (i'm still on his employer's insurance) and he got his benefits summary from HR. I couldn't find the answer to one of the questions (the per-accident minimum of at least $500,000 or whatever), but I submitted it anyways.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 pm

ph5354a wrote:
jubee wrote:

Yeah it's pretty obnoxious. I actually asked my dad (i'm still on his employer's insurance) and he got his benefits summary from HR. I couldn't find the answer to one of the questions (the per-accident minimum of at least $500,000 or whatever), but I submitted it anyways.

okay thanks, yeah i'm on my parents too we'll see what i can figure out :? . BTW- for our student account where it asks for local or perm address under contact info are you/anyone putting your campus address or perm home (family) address? if they are gonna be using that to send like time sensitive info i'd guess i'd want to put my UAH address? hmm

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 pm

jubee wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
jubee wrote:

okay thanks, yeah i'm on my parents too we'll see what i can figure out :? . BTW- for our student account where it asks for local or perm address under contact info are you/anyone putting your campus address or perm home (family) address? if they are gonna be using that to send like time sensitive info i'd guess i'd want to put my UAH address? hmm

Oh good call, right now it's my current address, but I'll probs update it to my UAH address --seems easy enough to change it if necessary next summer.

Also, should I be concerned that on my student account when I switch it to show personal data it says:

No registration on file
Standing: none on file
School: none on file
Affiliation: none on file

Plot twist: Columbia disowns me.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:49 pm

ph5354a wrote:Also, should I be concerned that on my student account when I switch it to show personal data it says:

No registration on file

Watch, the next time you try to login to your student account it will say "none on file"

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Also, should I be concerned that on my student account when I switch it to show personal data it says:

No registration on file

Watch, the next time you try to login to your student account it will say "none on file"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

But seriously...I'm not the only one that has virtually zero information in their student account, right? #paranoid #notivyleague #donthashtagsworkonTLS

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm sure you're fine.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:33 pm

ph5354a wrote:
jubee wrote:

another q- where it says policy holder name you put your parent and not yourself right?
Last edited by jubee on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 pm

jubee wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
jubee wrote:

another q- where it says policy holder name you put your parent and not yourself right?

Correct!

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Correct!

and did you basically answer yes to all the questions? i'm trying to talk to insurance person about it but they seem just as clueless as me. does columbia actually even verify this stuff? this whole thing seems ridiculous

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

jubee wrote:

Correct!

and did you basically answer yes to all the questions? i'm trying to talk to insurance person about it but they seem just as clueless as me. does columbia actually even verify this stuff? this whole thing seems ridiculous

Yeah, I think in order to get the waiver, your insurance has to meet all of those requirements (fwiw, mine did, except for that one thing I couldn't verify, and I think I have pretty run of the mill health insurance). I'm not sure if they actually verify everything, but I thought I saw a few people on the c/o 2015 thread say that their insurance had too high of a deductible, or something like that, and they couldn't get the waiver. Hopefully they aren't too strict about it, because these requirements seem really high.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 pm

it seems beyond ludicrous to require someone to pay for their health insurance if they already have insurance that they are satisfied with...i'm gonna turn into the hulk if my waiver gets denied :evil:
Last edited by jubee on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”