Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 pm

309020 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:My interest rate is 6.79% for my private loan.

This is interesting to me. What bank/institution are you using? I looked into a couple of providers (without ever actually talking to anyone or using my information) but it looked like the rates were either fixed and higher than federal loans or variable with really high limits that I wouldn't risk. It's a done deal for this year, I suppose, but I'd be interested in it next year, perhaps. I'm not likely to go for a LRAP qualifying job, so I'm not stuck with the feds. Although my mother was worried about cosigning any private loans with me because if I then died, my parents would still be liable for all the money. At least the feds forgive the loans if you die. :lol:

Mine is through Discover Student Loans. I have about 5 years of decent credit history so that's probably a factor. I didn't do a consigner but you could always look into getting a life insurance policy. :lol:

Postby 309020 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm

ph5354a wrote:
309020 wrote:

This is interesting to me. What bank/institution are you using? I looked into a couple of providers (without ever actually talking to anyone or using my information) but it looked like the rates were either fixed and higher than federal loans or variable with really high limits that I wouldn't risk. It's a done deal for this year, I suppose, but I'd be interested in it next year, perhaps. I'm not likely to go for a LRAP qualifying job, so I'm not stuck with the feds. Although my mother was worried about cosigning any private loans with me because if I then died, my parents would still be liable for all the money. At least the feds forgive the loans if you die. :lol:

Mine is through Discover Student Loans. I have about 5 years of decent credit history so that's probably a factor. I didn't do a consigner but you could always look into getting a life insurance policy. :lol:

Haha, my mom actually read that you should if you cosign big loans with a child. I have no credit history to speak of, which is why I'd need a cosigner, but it still didn't seem like that great a deal. I don't know — I guess there's no good way to take out massive loans. At least with federal loans, I'd get help from LRAP if I decided I'd rather help people than make lots of money.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:40 pm

309020 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
309020 wrote:

Haha, my mom actually read that you should if you cosign big loans with a child. I have no credit history to speak of, which is why I'd need a cosigner, but it still didn't seem like that great a deal. I don't know — I guess there's no good way to take out massive loans. At least with federal loans, I'd get help from LRAP if I decided I'd rather help people than make lots of money.

Oh yeah, definitely not a bad idea to have life insurance (from the cosigners perspective). I have no idea how much that costs though --depending on how healthy you are it may not be
worth it (okay now I'll stop joking about your death hah). Yeah if you're not getting a much better interest rate with private loans, it's not really worth giving up that LRAP.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am

Got Lenfest. Phew. Nice to have my own place and not top $2k/month. Not the best singles that exist, but definitely the best-case scenario at this point in the cycle.

It's a good thing too. After all the silence, I was preparing to do a Pagan rain dance. Except, you know, for housing.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Got Lenfest. Phew. Nice to have my own place and not top $2k/month. Not the best singles that exist, but definitely the best-case scenario at this point in the cycle.

It's a good thing too. After all the silence, I was preparing to do a Pagan rain dance. Except, you know, for housing.

nice. enjoy your doorman and private bamboo garden. So are those ones not big enough for a 11 person party like Lionsagate is?

edit: wait, lenfest has a gameroom/lounge in the basement. I say we hop all over that.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Got Lenfest. Phew. Nice to have my own place and not top $2k/month. Not the best singles that exist, but definitely the best-case scenario at this point in the cycle.

Yay! Glad it worked out :D

(There's a bamboo garden? :O)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Nice! Congrats. Thats decent sq ftage for a studio also if ur paying sub 2K

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm

untar614 wrote:

nice. enjoy your doorman and private bamboo garden. So are those ones not big enough for a 11 person party like Lionsagate is?

edit: wait, lenfest has a gameroom/lounge in the basement. I say we hop all over that.

From everyone's description of Lionsgate being way past their budget, I was imagining Lionsgate to be something like this:

Last edited by Monochromatic Oeuvre on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
untar614 wrote:

From everyone's description of Lionsgate being way past their budget, I was imaging Lionsgate to be something like this:

I honestly think that something like this is past my budget:

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Also, in a bonehead move that embarrasses me now but will undoubtedly be hilarious later, I originally tried to find that picture on Google Images by searching "penthouse." On my work computer. FML.

jbagelboy wrote:Nice! Congrats. Thats decent sq ftage for a studio also if ur paying sub 2K

It is? It's like 325 sq ft for just about $2k. I don't know the Manhattan real estate market well enough to know what $2k buys generally, but I do know it's enough to meet my needs, and more important, I have it to myself.

Given that there are, like, three chairs in the place, it isn't suitable for party hosting. But as mentioned, Lenfest has a pretty baller lounge that we can chill in.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Given that there are, like, three chairs in the place, it isn't suitable for party hosting. But as mentioned, Lenfest has a pretty baller lounge that we can chill in.

Are the RAs gonna bust us ? :shock:

Edit: Don't think the "kiddingness" of this post really came out as I wanted. I just am taken back to freshman year when every night you were partying hard one moment and then hiding from the SS, errr I mean the RAs the next as their hourly patrols came around. Memories.

battlerifle13

Postby battlerifle13 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Anybody want to have a TLS-CLS party/pregame once we get to school? I'd be willing to host

Also, feel free to PM me to exchange FB info. I've been missing out on all the fun

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 am

battlerifle13 wrote:Anybody want to have a TLS-CLS party/pregame once we get to school? I'd be willing to host

Also, feel free to PM me to exchange FB info. I've been missing out on all the fun

This apartment crawl gets easier and easier.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:30 am

lunaraeon wrote:
battlerifle13 wrote:Anybody want to have a TLS-CLS party/pregame once we get to school? I'd be willing to host

Haha and battlerifle 13 is just the floor below me

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:29 am

KingFish wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:

which building are you guys in?

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:32 pm

untar614 wrote:
KingFish wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:

411 115th

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:43 pm

KingFish wrote:
untar614 wrote:
KingFish wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:This apartment crawl gets easier and easier.

411 115th

Might not even need to leave West 115th!

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Nice. Well, Kingfish and battlerifle, you two should engage in some postwhoring around here. Then shoot one of us a pm if you want in on the real fun

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

untar614 wrote:Nice. Well, Kingfish and battlerifle, you two should engage in some postwhoring around here. Then shoot one of us a pm if you want in on the real fun

I got a CLS sticker from admissions in the mail today!

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:35 pm

not gonna read the last 20+ pages.

TLDR where's the beer at?

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:46 pm

helix23 wrote:not gonna read the last 20+ pages.

PM me. we've actually been wondering what happened to you, as you should definitely be in on the festivities.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Definitely down for this, count me in!

Anyone else moving into Lenfest somewhat early? I'll be moving in the morning of the 9th after a delightful cross-coast redeye.

battlerifle13

Postby battlerifle13 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for volunteering to pick up the beers helix you're the man!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:37 pm

untar614 wrote:

PM me. we've actually been wondering what happened to you, as you should definitely be in on the festivities.

Welcome back bro

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:

Welcome back bro

Will do.

Thx homie, I've had a busy summer but im looking to reintegrate myself. Any juicy TLS gossip I should be apprised of?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”